League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Udyr,,,,,how the hell do you play him? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=266965)

Mana Grenade 09-27-2010 06:11 PM

Udyr,,,,,how the hell do you play him?

I just bought udyr and got screwed with him,....he seems cool how do u play him? and what skills do u get?

DayInTheSun 09-27-2010 06:49 PM

It's advisable that you jungle with him. If you're not level 30 it might be best if you try another champion since he needs runes/masteries to be an effective jungler.

Khajeh 09-27-2010 07:12 PM

R - Pheonix is your aoe farming ability (max this)
E - Your speed and stun (max second)
W - your mana and health regen and shield (get an early point and max later
Q - your not very useful skill imo (you attack faster and deal an initial DOT)

Udyr is definetely fun but takes skill to play. Jungling and ganking is where you are at your best. In team fights just keep stunning people and using pheonix for the aoe.

He is best built as an off tank - start with sun fire and maybe BV for damage Starks is nice.

ALso Frozen mallet is good on Udyr.

Have fun!

SynergyDreamer 09-27-2010 07:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oipjo6O4vIk
Idk what else to say.

DarkenDragon 09-27-2010 07:49 PM

I find 2 major ways to play him skill wise, either AP/Attack speed, or AD/bloodrazor

the AP/attack speed is all about getting high attack speeds and attack power, this will increase your pheonix damage and increase your shield amount from turtle. this was the old style before phenoix got nerfed, but can still be damaging and gives you quite a bit of survivability from your shield, and helps you farm well.

the AD path will increase your damage done by tiger stance and will focus more on getting tiger stance to max, since tiger stance already gives you increased attack speed, you can focus more on increasing your damage through items, and since you already have high attack speeds with tiger, you'll also be procing bloodrazor a lot more often which will increase your dps by a lot.

the main key about udyr though is the ability to constantly change your stance over and over again, this will keep your attack speed and dodge up from your passive, and also allow you to have multiple effects on you at any given time.

my personal favorate way to build him is to get 4 points into each skill, this will reduce the mana cost of each of them to the point that it can be neglected and spammed, and also give you decent amount of effects for each, then I would put the final 2 into tiger and phenoix, if you find that you need to be more tanky, then you can put it into turtle and if your more support then you can put it into bear, though I'd highly recommend avoiding maxing out bear if you dont need it.

keep switching stances and you'll do fine

Covenant 09-27-2010 11:17 PM

I play insanely aggressively with Udyr, building him for maximum survivability, except I add in Boots of Swiftness (+3 boots) and keep my bear levels high. I end up basically permanently switching into Bear mode, making be absurdly fast, and I command a huge amount of space between my team and the enemy team. This makes Udyr hard to move past, gives me a ton of flexibility on who I attack (since nobody knows when I'll move for them) and lets him dodge a lot of skillshots.

My skill order is geared for early ganking from jungle combined with mid-game gank-situation creation. It's not hard to end up with the most kills or second to most using a build like this because literally nothing will escape you unless it has flash or a hard stun, leading to a lot of situations where normally a guy would escape but you track him down and finish him off.

Q-W-W-E-E-E-W-E-Q-Q-Q-E-Q-R-R-R-R-R

Tiger is better for ganks than Phoenix, but I use Phoenix to pump my tiger strikes at end-game. Phoenix's problem with ganks is that it requires multiple hits on the target to achieve the flare move, which is kinda weak. Tiger's DoT activatable can be prepped and then delivered via bear instead of Tiger itself, and switching back and forth between Tiger and Bear when using Mallet leads to epic slows and tons of burst damage.

I also love seeing someone blink away or something once they'd been tigered, and die a moment later. Tiger is very Fist of the North Star.

Frozen Mallet is good. Randuin's, Banshee's Veil are excellent. If you want a really cheap damage item, grab Sheen or Atma's Impaler. Not at all the best items, but they're very inexpensive to get as a luxury item and Sheen especially synergizes with some of your stuff.

Zyren 09-27-2010 11:22 PM

I have the best results by building straight tank.

0/21/9 Masteries, Smite + Ghost Spells
Attack Speed Marks + Quints
Dodge Seals
Magic Resist per Level Glyphs

Start with point in Phoenix, and start at golem with cloth armor + 5 hp pots.

Phoenix > Turtle > Bear > Tiger

1 point in Bear at 4, and 1 in Tiger at 8 (for pushing and the dot)

Item Build:
Cloth Armor + 5 HP Pots
Heart of Gold + Boots 1
Mercury Treads
Randuin's Omen
Sunfire or Banshee's Veil depending on enemy team comp.
Grab whichever of the two you didn't get before (assuming they do have some of each, if they have like all magic, then consider Force of Nature and other MR items)

Most games will end before you have both, but if they continue then you have options depending on what you need.

Need more armor? GA/Sunfires/Thornmail
Need more MR? FoN and any other MR items (maybe Spirit Visage, I'm not 100% sure if it works with turtle)
Need some DPS? Grab a Black Cleaver/Bloodthirster/Trinity Force/Atma's

Also, whenever you have a few hundred gold, buy some wards. Ward enemy lizard/golem, and also ward Dragon/Baron depending on what is likely to be attempted. This can sometimes let you smite steal the enemy buff and then kill them once you have it (or run away if they have MIAs).

For teamfights, if you can, start pre-emptively with Turtle shell on you, then Bear/Ghost in, pop Randuin's assuming your team is there and ready. Slap around the enemy carries, then Phoenix -> Tiger -> apply the dot to the kill target -> Bear/Turtle as necessary.

Good luck, and have fun!

ScrumRuck 09-28-2010 09:02 AM

If you are new to udyr, chances are you arent stance dancing enough.
to get more familiar with him survivability tip smash W after ever non-w stance switch..
if you're DPS (Tiger) Do NOT get madreds.
in battle your hand should be going:
sit in bushes>W>E>charge out stun>if you hit them>Q>if not>W>then W>Q>W>E>W>Q as you see necessary, make sure you are always W'ing. keep that sheid up. If you are sure of the gank and do not need protection sit in bushes and Q>E>go get em. Your tiger will proc on bear hit.

Credentials
I dont play much phox udyr, but i have tons of games as DPS. I am at almost 300 wins. I have not yet played a ranked game though.. so take my advice for what it is.Solo queue DPS support

gun fu panda 09-28-2010 10:20 AM

Build Randiun's/Banshee's/Bloodrazor's/Boots.

Jungle.

R > W > E > Q with one point of E at 4 for ganks.

Then just practice.

Lord Marcus 09-28-2010 02:28 PM

If you want to run the "Normal" boring Udyr....run him tank...common tank builds apply

If you want to ATTEMPT to be a physical DPS....run AD items..build up Tiger/Bear/Pheonix...good luck..hard to get this build going

If you want to run the amazingly deadly Magical DPS Udyr...Run AS items...Sword of Divine (first), madreds, phantom dancer...then push a little physical dmg if you want..or a single tank item. Max Pheonix first..using 1 level of bear early, and turtle to stay in lane. You will farm like crazy, and dish EPIC damage at level 1-6. Dominate....early. No one has an ultimate/has reached their potential yet, utilize this!!!! Run around ganking after you screw your laning enemy (btw, you can solo). You can initiate with Bear/then hit pheonix for quite awhile.

late game, back off a little, let your team initiate. But, if you play properly, you can feed yourself.