League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Champion selection question (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2669462)

DrMordachai 10-11-2012 10:07 PM

Champion selection question

I am sorry if this is a dumb question but in light of what happened to the CLG top laner having a hard time because he had to play a character he wasn't used to.

People said that he should have lots of characters he is professional with, so that it wouldn't happen the way that it did, and I got to wondering, are they suggesting that someone should learn to play things that are not part of their 'lane'?

I know I am being confusing, but I would like to try and clarify.

I play supports and am trying to learn to be a jungler. Do I need to learn how to play a Kog'Maw, or a Morgana so that I could cover that lane, or do I just need to learn how to play all of the support characters well to be able to cover any possible bans or picks the other team takes?

I am a LONG way from playing any sort of ranked match, but I want to start building good habits now, and preparing for that time that I might decide to step into that ring.

Magus Crow 10-11-2012 10:13 PM

Unless you typically play in a premade 5 you should learn a couple champions in each role in case you dont get to play the support role. As support is your main you should be familiar with all of your options for that role and should have a good base of characters to draw from that you can play well (4 to 6 is pretty solid).

The main problem with Wickd seems to be that Frost targeted bans and champion selection against him and his fairly limited pool of champions (only 2 or 3 really) that he could play in his role as a professional were all banned or counterpicked leaving him to pick a champion that he had only limited experience with and doing a great deal to drag down his team as he lost his lane pretty hard.

DrMordachai 10-12-2012 01:29 AM

Thank you very much.

I will try to get more skill in the tank/AD/AP roles. I just hope I don't get called to play them, as I do not have a lot of skill at landing skillshots.

Sereg Anfaug 10-12-2012 02:53 AM

If you want to improve your skillshots, play some Blitzcrank. You can definitely train that even while supporting.

However, yes, you should be capable of playing every role on a team, and own at least 3 champions for each role, before you try ranked. That may be a long way off for you, but it is a goal you should have.

Kaoelith 10-12-2012 04:14 AM

as a support you should know most adcs at least well enough to know what they can do, they all mostly play the same right click game later on with a few skills in there

this also lets you know what to expect and what can compliment the adc as a support, such as nunu/kog or sona/ez combos can be much more deadly than some others

as for other roles there are basic champs you should learn for each even if you don't plan on playing that role

since you watch streams of top teams you should be able to find a few in each role you find interesting and try to learn those