League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Sona, for listeners. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=266502)

Darkintegral 09-27-2010 12:11 PM

Sona, for listeners.

Written: Sept 28, 2010
Last Edited: Sept. 28, 2010 for awfulness

There is also this crappy guide too:

Garen, what you did not know (written by me May 02, 2010)
https://www.leagueoflegends.com/boar...d.php?t=105074

Feel free to insult me and reply back this guide.
WARNING: There is a significant amount of bs.

Overview
This guide is supposed to help you play Sona effectively.
Note you may lose your girlfriend after reading.
I apologize in advance for the bad jokes about to come your way and the one you just read.

Step 1 – Is Sona the right hero for you?

Did you read her spells yet?
https://www.leagueoflegends.com/cham...of_the_strings

Did you watch the official Sona game play video from Riot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP0A3wLfFBg

Do you like her?

OMG Surprise Pop Quiz – What is Sona’s job in the game?

a) Support – I stay in the back, buff/heal, and serve alcohol.
b) DPS/Carry – My harp is a sub machine gun.
c) Tank – My dress is 100% 1337 cotton...
d) Nuker/Caster – I play an instrument

Answer
Those who chose A and D are part of the cool people group.

Step 2 – What do I abilities have to work with?

Here is Sona's list of spells.
Note that using any of her three main abilities activates an aura.
Same auras to not stack.

Personal Spell Order

Rule:
1. Hymn first, than Aria
2. 1 point in Celerity Level 4 Sona, just in case I need to fish out her Power Cord passive for a kill.

1. Hymn
2. Aria
3. Hymn
4. Celerity
5. Hymn
6. Ultimate
7. Hymn
8. Aria
9. Hymn
10. Aria
11. Ultimate
12-18. Sensitive Information

Hymn of Valor (q)

“Activation: Sona fires bolts of sound, dealing 70/120/170/220/270 (+0.6) magic damage to the nearest two enemies (prioritizes champions).”

“Persistent Aura: Sona plays the Hymn of Valor, increasing nearby allied champions Damage and Ability Power by 8/11/14/17/20.”

This is Sona’s damage increasing aura and main passive in most situations.

Four things Beginners should grasp (for active ability):

1) a feel for its range
2) a feel for its damage and scaling
3) a feel for how the spell targets
4) finding the Q button on the keyboard, gagged and blindfolded

Four things Intermediates start to do:

1) Consistently lasting hitting minions with this spell
2) Balancing mana use with Sona’s other spell
3) Not bringing Sona too close or too far in major fights
4) Kill three people with one spell cast.

Pros will:

1) Will perfectly execute the above with speed and accuracy
2) Will harass like a monster
3) Is able use this in team fights, rather than hang in the back line and heal
4) Verbally sounds out noises with each cast. Motherly insults is usually adequate.

Aria of Perseverance (w)

“Activation: Sona sends out healing melodies, healing Sona and the most wounded nearby allied champion by 40/65/90/115/140 (+0.5).”

“Persistent Aura: Sona plays the Aria of Perseverance, increasing nearby allied champions Armor and Magic Resist by 8/11/14/17/20.”

This is a smart heal. No skill required.
You should heal other people cause you are nice.
Always heal those nearly dead people, even if they will die anyway. Otherwise they'll cry about how much you suck.

Four things Beginners should grasp:

1) A feel for its...long range
2) A feel for how much is healed t
3) A feel for its mana usage
4) I can heal!

1) Minimize its use by not getting hurt personally
2) Not wasting heals
3) Using this spell to proc other abilities
4) Cure cancer

Pros will:

1) Learn checkpoints when Sona can solo certain things (golem, dragon, etc)
2) Keep stupid people satisfied
3) Kill someone... with a heal.

Song of Celerity (e)

“Activation: Sona energizes nearby allies, granting them 8/11/13/17/20% Movement Speed for 1.5 seconds.”

“Persistent Aura: Sona plays the Song of Celerity, granting nearby allied champions 8/11/14/17/20 bonus

1) I push this button, I run faster
2) I push this button, I run faster
3) I push this button, I run faster
4) I push this button, I run faster

1) Use this to proc other abilities
2) Define "celerity" verbatim from Merriam Webster dictionary by memory
3) Consistently use this spell
4) Travel 100 mph on the I-35 freeway during a traffic jam, with Song of Celerity.

Pros will:

1) Grandma got run over by a reindeer, with Song of Celerity
2) Subnet an IP address.

Crescendo (r)

“Sona plays her ultimate chord, forcing enemy champions in a line in front of her to dance, taking 150/250/350 (+0.7) magic damage over 1.5 seconds.”

ˇThe range and aoe of this spell much is smaller than the animation.
ˇIf nobody is dead when you use this, you suck.

Four things Beginners should grasp

1) OMG this spell is so weak and low ranged. What kind of ultimate is this???

1) Use the blue line-targeting arrow
2) Use this spell once every time the Texans make a touch down.
3) Flush the bushes
4) Tie a cherry stem, with your tongues

Pros will:

1) Change their IP address in host files in the system32/drivers folder
2) Sabotage a facebook account

Power Cord

“After casting 3 spells, Sona's next attack deals 24 + 12 x lvl bonus magic damage.”

“Additionally, Sona's Auras persist for 3 seconds after deactivating and set off a 2 second global cooldown.”

a) ...I has a proc?
b) Numa Numa Numa Eh... Allo?
c) It takes at least 6 seconds to proc this due to the cooldown.
d) Band kids have no life

a) Harass
b) Intentional force this proc out in fights
c) Constantly manage this ability
d) Hang out with Justin Bieber.

Pros will:

a) "We require additional pylons."
b) Go out with Demi Lavato

Step 3 – How should I set up my Masteries/Runes/Summoner Spells before the starting game

For Masteries:

Utility – 9/0/21 http://www.fieldsofjustice.com/mastery/#/aZuwZuPPqZuaeZanluay
Variants are ok:

Must have talents (pick them or you have bad luck, forever):
1) Mana Regeneration
2) Move Speed
3) Cooldown Reductions
4) 30% increase buff duration from monsters – make the most out of those golem buffs
5) Divine Shield + Hearthstone

For Runes:

Red – Spell Penetration
Yellow – Dodge
Blue – Cooldown reduction (must have)
Quintessence – Move Speed (must have)
Green - Resilience

A blue potion and golem will max your cooldown reduction with this set up and provide infinite mana.

Green runes do not exist and resilience broke World of Warcraft.

For Summoner Spells:

I have seen the Champion Spotlight video. I know Phreak picked Flash and Clairvoyance.

Everybody plays differently. This is me.

1. Cleanse – If they mass stuns, you will probably die without this)
2. Flash – Gets Sona out of fires when it’s getting too hot or snipe running heroes
3. Teleport - I am everywhere (this is my drug, I never play any hero without it)
4. Ignite - Pyromaniac's dreams (I might be a pyromaniac).
5. Clarity - I wonder why I need mana
6. Nuclear Missile – Nukes are truly outrageous. They are truly, truly, truly, outrageous.
7. Everything else - fine

Items
-The mainstream Sona item build are from people going from the suggested item list and the youtube video. They are general support build intended to be easy and teach you how to play Sona.

I will never support build. Have fun with your Low Ability Powered Sona.

High Ability Powered Sona (aka Lich Bane Sona)

1. Boots of Swiftness (Mercury if they are stun happy)
2. Archangel Staff (about 100 ability power at 2000 mana)
3. Lichbane (about 200 total ability power combine with Archangel and big nuke with every spell cast)
4. Zhonya’s Ring (with potion, 500 total ability power, FIVE HUNDRED in technically 3 items)
5. Deathfire (600 total ability power and a nuclear missile)
6. Whatever I feel like

I am just going to say this: I will kill you as Sona
Don’t bother with it unless you have micro.
You HAVE to dodge instant death crowd controls and manage procs/items to excel. You will have excellent excellent damage burst and healing
Don't mess with Viegar.

When you see how high lichbane procs, how high ultimate/nukes/heals go for, combine with ignite and a Deathfire backed by ability power...

Or you can choose the lame aura builds.

Theorycrafting Items

A fun part about this game is cooking up your own item builds. But what item stats does Sona need?

The Venti ones are:
1. Mana (her first item must have this)
2. Ability Power (she needs about 200, must have by mid game)
3. Health (mandatory on most heroes, but Sona is able to get away due to her heals and speed)
4. Boots (some Nike’s or Adidas' at a outlet store are ok)

The Grande ones are:
1. Cooldown - which is already at max if you have mastery, runes, the blue potion, and golem buff
2. Good Unique abilities (stuff that helps/harm other people)
3. Stick Grenades - good against UAVs, pave low, and riot shields

The Tall ones are:
1. Magic Resist/Armor
2. Anything else, meaning you will not get them. Do not buy Talls from Starbucks.

And I am sorry if you never drank a Mocha Frappacino.

Themes:
*The trick is, focus on one theme while satisfying Sona’s must have stats
Tanking – Health, Armor, Magic Resist
Ability Power – Ability Power
Support – Support Items

Note worthy items
(if you need help, http://www.leagueoflegends.com/items, order listed in means nothing):

Useful Mana Items
1. Rod of Ages
2. Archangel Staff
3. Innervating Locket
4. Frozen Heart

Useful Ability Power Items
1. Mejaj Soul Stealer
2. Archangel Staff
3. Zhonya’s Ring
4. Any other item above 60 ability power (a bunch others, which makes this category flexible).

Useful Health Items
1. Rod of Ages
2. Innervating Locket
3. Soul Shroud
4. Shurelya’s Reverie
5. Aegis of the Legion
6. Rylai's

Template
1. Boots
2. Mana Item
3. Main Build Item
4. Main Build Item
5. Main Build Item
6. Triple Potion that makes me glow like a G6, lika lika G6.

Example Theorycrafted Tank Sona That Will Probably Suck

Has big hp, armor, magic resist, and debuffs.

1. Shoes
2. Rod of Ages
3. Rylai's (slow enemies)
4. Abysal Scepter (lower enemy resist)
5. Frozen Heart (lower enemy attack speed)
6. ???

Example Theorycrafted Support Sona That Will Probably Fail

1. I do no support support Sona (shoes)
2. I do no support support Sona (Innervating)
3. I do no support support Sona (Aegis)
4. I do no support support Sona (Soul Shroud)
5. I do no support support Sona (Reverie)
6. ???

Step 4 – You were blessed to pick Sona without getting que dodged, disconnected, and called in on Saturday

You are now guaranteed to win.

Dissonance119 09-27-2010 01:08 PM

Good guide. Resilience Green Runes really are OP.

I play at +/- 1250 ELO, and I am usually forced to make different choices. Let me tell you what I end up doing, because these items aren't really in your guide. I find them useful. Let's hear opinions.

Firstly, I have come to love Clarity. Early in the game, it lets me pick a non mana regen item (more on that). Later in the game, it lets me reset a team push - after a tower or two, people are usually out of mana. A clarity pop, and that is amended.

I find Sona to be easily focuseable early in the game, a weakness that goes away quickly in mid game. I also find Movement Speed to be the single most important stat in a team. As such, I usually build a Shureliya's Reverie within the first 15-20 minutes (depending on kills). I start with a Ruby, and after a sub-core item (often Tear), I upgrade it into a kindlegem, and then into the reverie. The extra +180 health really, really helps stay alive in the first levels, and clarity amends that problem.

Your main build lacks Mejai's. I find that past the first 10 minutes, I almost never die to most teams, but I do collect 15-25 assists during the game. I have been buying Mejai's, and it's the only character for me where this item becomes really worth it.

Is Lichbane really worth it on Sona? I have tried sheen twice, and LB once. Both times I have found them incredibly sub-par to an Archangel + Shureliya's combo. I find that with the extra mana from an early Archangel I can keep all my auras up at all times, and with Shureliya's I can get my team out of trouble in once piece - which means less gold to the enemy.

You list Rod of Ages on the Health and Mana list. I cannot think of a situation where RoA would be preferrable to a Locket, a Shroud or Rylai's.

Speaking of Rylai's, your build leads you to have consistent DPS. Yet, there is no reliable slow in your build. It would appear that a Rylai's would be incredibly useful in your build.

You mention it briefly, but the Golem buff is absolutely invaluable to Sona. I run +magic regen runes heavily, and with a Tear, Golem and those, I can cast my auras non-stop for a long push. It maximizes what Sona does best.

Darkintegral 09-27-2010 01:57 PM

1. Clarity is useful. But, not every hero on your uses mana, every game, and Sona does not need it.
2. Movespeed is god. I did not emphasis this, but you seen my rune book and mastery ya?
3. Reverie is useful. But I hate it.
4. Mejaj is fun, but not useful every game. It is not just about dying. Slow games do occur and that 1235g can be used elsewhere.
5. Past 250 ability power, Lich Bane will destroy low hp carries and towers. I will kill you =0. That build has 500 ability power after Mejaj with a potion and a Deathfire to boot.
6. Rod of Ages is the all in one that satisfies all of Sona's early games needs. HP to live, mana to cast, ability power for strength. Stats for utility.
7. I have used Rylai's. But, 15% slow, for 1.5 secounds, on 2 heroes, and the cooldown on my nuke is pretty long.
8. I will make the golem more clear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dissonance119 (Hozzászólás 3133043)
Good guide. Resilience Green Runes really are OP.

I play at +/- 1250 ELO, and I am usually forced to make different choices. Let me tell you what I end up doing, because these items aren't really in your guide. I find them useful. Let's hear opinions.

Firstly, I have come to love Clarity. Early in the game, it lets me pick a non mana regen item (more on that). Later in the game, it lets me reset a team push - after a tower or two, people are usually out of mana. A clarity pop, and that is amended.

I find Sona to be easily focuseable early in the game, a weakness that goes away quickly in mid game. I also find Movement Speed to be the single most important stat in a team. As such, I usually build a Shureliya's Reverie within the first 15-20 minutes (depending on kills). I start with a Ruby, and after a sub-core item (often Tear), I upgrade it into a kindlegem, and then into the reverie. The extra +180 health really, really helps stay alive in the first levels, and clarity amends that problem.

Your main build lacks Mejai's. I find that past the first 10 minutes, I almost never die to most teams, but I do collect 15-25 assists during the game. I have been buying Mejai's, and it's the only character for me where this item becomes really worth it.

Is Lichbane really worth it on Sona? I have tried sheen twice, and LB once. Both times I have found them incredibly sub-par to an Archangel + Shureliya's combo. I find that with the extra mana from an early Archangel I can keep all my auras up at all times, and with Shureliya's I can get my team out of trouble in once piece - which means less gold to the enemy.

You list Rod of Ages on the Health and Mana list. I cannot think of a situation where RoA would be preferrable to a Locket, a Shroud or Rylai's.

Speaking of Rylai's, your build leads you to have consistent DPS. Yet, there is no reliable slow in your build. It would appear that a Rylai's would be incredibly useful in your build.

You mention it briefly, but the Golem buff is absolutely invaluable to Sona. I run +magic regen runes heavily, and with a Tear, Golem and those, I can cast my auras non-stop for a long push. It maximizes what Sona does best.

Darkintegral 09-27-2010 02:51 PM

Sorry, just revised for more consistent grammar and punctuation, will add more to item builds tomorrow.

Marius Caesar 10-13-2010 08:07 PM

Nice aggressive build for Sona. But i got lol'd at for using Lich Bane by people saying oh noes autoattacked to death.

Eh. still got 13/7/24 that game on a char ive had but seven games with.