League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is there a way to accurately judge certain builds? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2664057)

Oecleus 10-10-2012 05:28 PM

Is there a way to accurately judge certain builds?

I'm curious if there is a way to actually judge certain builds without something confounding the results.

For example lets say I have build a and b

I try out build A for a really long time, and I end up at a certain elo pretty much exclusively using that build.

Now I try out build B, and my elo drops, and I play it for a long time and I get up to a higher elo.

I don't see how I could prefer one build over the other objectively or quantitatively.

Win/loss ratio is pointless because over a long period of time its going to be about 50/50 (right?)

Also your elo might drop to begin with just for the fact that you aren't used to a build.

You can't evaluate it based off elo because you can't necessarily say it was the build that got you to that elo, it could of been your natural learning ability.

Are we really stuck with evaluating builds by feel or is there a more objective way?

Kanosi 10-10-2012 05:33 PM

Given my limited experience (just 9 months), my opinion as that each role has certain core items you really want to get, with the exception of champion specific items that benefit you more than the core items. Then the rest of your items depend on the opposing teams champions and the items they're building.

M3GaL0d0n 10-10-2012 09:14 PM

Simply put... No, there is not. The reason is that basically every single champion in the book can fill multiple rolls on a team, therefore getting different items; Certain tanks can be bruisers, certain bruisers can be glass-cannon carries, and vice-versa. Don't take that the wrong way, keeping a build viable is important, but most champions are flexible. So weather or not a champion wants to build damage over utility, is up to the team-comp, the strategy they are pursuing, and play-styles are all important and will change what items someone would like to build.

For example, AD/bruiser Nidalee is not better than AP/support Nidalee, nor is the opposite true. While AD Nidalee deals a lot of continual damage in teamfights, this is almost completely useless if a team wants to play poke & heal, which is what you want AP Nidalee for. So deciding how you want to play a champion will define which build is better for you. Same thing goes for AP Cho'gath vs Tanky Cho'gath. If your team needs damage, build it, if they need utility, build that instead. You'll find that most champions tend to work with items that are defined by the play style they're used in, not by the items that work best with them.
Core items are a different story, some champions need a certain item to work well and they always have it regardless of playstyle. Adapting your build to a certain enemy comp is also important. So if you want some advice, practice different builds, and see which items have what effect on a champion, if you find a game that you want a certain effect, build items accordingly.

GLHF... Play for Honor.

ricklessabandon 10-11-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oecleus (Hozzászólás 30091809)
Are we really stuck with evaluating builds by feel or is there a more objective way?

the best you can do is almost always in 'hindsight' for things like this. for example, if you had a replay for a game, you could do deep analysis at certain key points in the game and evaluate how good each purchase is given the state of the game and how it unfolds. that's probably as good as it would get though.

of course, this is tainted by several factors such as variance in the champions played, runes/masteries/items/spells used, player income, and which strategies are being used. for example, while a player may find out that while trinity force rush might have been perfect in 75% of their ezreal games, it might also set them back enough to cost them the other 25%.

with so many factors involved, and the game being updated so often, i think it's a lot more useful to understand what makes a good build good than it is to try to answer 'what's a good build?' the latter is more useful when trying to learn the basics of a champion than it is for trying to get the most out of them.

IS1d3a146dfa6b6f 10-11-2012 02:31 AM

Building champions should be a dynamic endeavor. OP makes it sound like there is a cookie cutter way to build each and every game which certainly isn't the case.

ncrwhale 10-11-2012 11:00 AM

do the math.

and then see how it feels :)

WingedWaffle 10-11-2012 02:20 PM

When something like that happens, I do math, seriously.

Simple addition for Defense/Offense, then a few formulas you can find on the LoL Wiki page to calculate damage reduction. :p