League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What I learned from World's so far (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2652536)

lastchancexi 10-06-2012 09:28 PM

What I learned from World's so far

1) I'm playing Jungle entirely wrong. I need to ignore farming and gank + ward a lot more. My goal is not keep up with the solo lanes or the ADC in exp, but instead control the map with vision. To do this, I generally want to play with tank junglers (maokai, skarner) and go Philo + HoG + boots --> Aegis/Shurelya's. Of course, you can also play manaless AD junglers like Mundo, Shyv and Lee Sin and use your fast clearing and mobility to do the same thing, but basically, I'm going to farm less as a jungler and buy more support stuff.

2) Dragon and Baron are way riskier than I thought they were. Just by keeping the lanes pushed and having enough vision, you can really punish teams for going dragon/baron. If you take a tower for dragon, that's pretty good. If you take two towers for dragon, that's great. The inhibitor + inhibitor tower trade for baron that TSM made against Azubu Frost was awful. Only get dragon if you absolutely get it for free. Don't ignore enemy pushes for baron.

3) In mid or top, ward and go BALLS DEEP. I used to play a really passive mid/top CS lane, and CS is very important, but **** that, instead of constantly freezing lane and looking to zone, just push and GO HARD at them, and farm wolves/wraiths/minigolems when you can.

4) Sona best support. Maokai/Skarner best jangle.

5) Athene's Unholy Grail is way better than I thought. All of the top AP mids in Asia were getting chalice/Athene's on everyone but Vlad.

Epictues 10-07-2012 06:49 AM

@5. Yea Athenes seems so expensive too, and doesnt provide any AP right off the bat; and sets back the timer on Rod of Ages or the gold count on Kages Pick. I get the early magic resist, it just seems cost ineffective. Also did you notices Azuba Frosts mid buying mercury treads early game as well, then selling them later game for sorcerers shoes.

With the mercury treads/Athenes Grail as first game items, they definitly will have better staying power against the enemy ap mid, and be easier to run from ganks with the tenacity.

Mr Ozy 10-07-2012 08:10 AM

@ point one, I disagree. Yes, for sure you do need to set up ganks, and a large chunk of your gold will be spent on wards, but clearing camps is still extremely important. In particular if you are using carry like jungles such as Shyvana, Nocturne, and Lee Sin. You do not want to be underleveled going into the team fight stage. The most important part (which often the camera doesnt show), is these junglers take camps on the way and in between ganks. They clear the camps extremely fast, and move on. As a jungler you need to be where your team needs you, but you need to be conscious that you aren't screwing yourself over.

lastchancexi 10-07-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

@ point one, I disagree. Yes, for sure you do need to set up ganks, and a large chunk of your gold will be spent on wards, but clearing camps is still extremely important. In particular if you are using carry like jungles such as Shyvana, Nocturne, and Lee Sin. You do not want to be underleveled going into the team fight stage. The most important part (which often the camera doesnt show), is these junglers take camps on the way and in between ganks. They clear the camps extremely fast, and move on. As a jungler you need to be where your team needs you, but you need to be conscious that you aren't screwing yourself over.
Even these champions (besides nocturne) were not getting a lot of gold/levels. You will note that all of them merely had wriggles, HoG, and Aegis most of the time.

HMS BUTTPEE 10-07-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

@5. Yea Athenes seems so expensive too, and doesnt provide any AP right off the bat; and sets back the timer on Rod of Ages or the gold count on Kages Pick. I get the early magic resist, it just seems cost ineffective. Also did you notices Azuba Frosts mid buying mercury treads early game as well, then selling them later game for sorcerers shoes.
But it provides a **** ton of mana regen, and gives you MR to win trades. Chalice is extremely cheap, and it's probably one of the most cost-efficient items in the game. Despite the fact that a lot of contributions to your play aren't as easily noticeable as more AP, it really is a very useful item. The only reason people used to not build it was because you couldn't upgrade it, but now, there's really no reason not to.