League of Legends Community
12345 ... 11

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Roleplaying Forums (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   The thread in which Skarner is displeased (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2634589)

SandscourgeSkarn 10-03-2012 01:27 AM

The thread in which Skarner is displeased

Okay so, I've been here for a while now and at first, I was a starry eyed youth of this board, who saw heard and spoke no evil. That kept up for quite a while, it was grand. Times were good, things were (as far as my naivety would allow me to see) good. It's only recently, since about... Early August that I begin to notice that facade of happiness and fun times crack and chip away, which is seriously reaching a breaking point.

There are a couple of things I attribute this to.

I. Multiple Champions

"But Skarner I'm more than skilled enough to take on the responsibility of several champions! I mean I'm Galio/Lux/Purple Caster Minion/Rumble/Kha'Zix already, a sixth won't hurt!"

Wrong. And I feel it should be obvious why that's wrong, but, in the interest of fairness, I'll explain myself. Actually, an excerpt first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryugi Kazamaru (Hozzászólás 29342994)
Do you have a champion already?
If you already have a champion, consider that it might be best if you allow someone who does not already play one have the new champion rather than you auditioning. This way, we have a wider variety of people on the forums enjoying this privilege. If you have a champion already and are feeling tired of them, consider passing them to someone else you trust after winning, before trying to audition. Not only does this allow more individuals to enjoy RPing a champion, but it also allows you, as the RPer, more time and energy to focus on portraying that champion as accurately as you possibly can.

Consider keeping your audition under wraps.
Playing a champion is something many like to talk about. However, in some cases, this creates a level of favoritism, and this can skew fair voting by the community. Champion RPers should be chosen by the merit of their portrayal of the character, not by the name of their main accounts, or even necessarily by the level of their writing. Of course, grammar and spelling play a role, and your ability to tell a meaningful story. But overall, the primary thing one should consider is how the Champion is portrayed. By keeping your audition a secret by not telling people your smurf’s name, you help keep things fair for other candidates, as well as for yourself in some cases. After you have won, or after the auditions are over, feel free to share who you are if you wish, but please think about not disclosing such information beforehand to avoid bias and favoritism.

Do you have enough time for this?
Everyone has a life outside the forum, whether it be schooling, a job, some combination of the two, or other concerns. RPing a champion is no small task. They answer questions in their Ask Thread, usually, and may even RP outside of it with other characters and champions. This can be very hard when you are considering all the variables that act on a champion when they go about their life and decision-making. So, make sure that you have adequate time to place into RPing a champions, so you can do them proper justice. Remember, they are not simply “your character” to do with as you please. They should stay true to the person they are as much as possible so as not to confuse others, or break the immersion for them. If you can’t give enough time to them, consider staying out of the audition process to allow others that can give the proper time the opportunity to do so.

Every. Single. One. Of. These. Points. Are. Valid.

Not only are they valid, they should be taken as the gospel around these parts. The first is perhaps the most relevant here, for this specific example. Every Champion added to someone's personal stable is more division of time between them, resulting in less facetime for that individual, regardless of who they are. It does the Champion an injustice, causing them to nearly never be around, but also disallows others from doing that Champion justice.

I've heard that there's someone floating around while like 5 Champions and while I've heard tell of who that person is, I'll not name names, but yes, you know who you are, if you really exist, and yes, this is me calling you out, because your time has come. I feel like the attitude associated with that behavior is "I'll take what I want" and that's atrocious but not simply for the reasons listed above. It keeps our already small community even smaller. When an issue comes up, there are fewer people here, as Champions, to solve it. Because let's face it, we're pretty much the closest things this place has to a leading body.

If you'd really like another character, don't take a third/fourth/fifth/ninth/thirty-second/etc. Champion. OC's exist for a reason, and geez do they have a way easier time operating. The reason I started that list at three is because I'm certain it's entirely possible to run two Champions at once. Not for everyone, don't get me wrong, but there are some who are capable I'm sure.

Finally, character personality blending. While it's not entirely an issue I've noticed happening much, it's a danger I feel I have to present. Every writer, because that's really what we are, has a certain style and comfort level with their material.

I really don't feel this requires much more explanation and instead of belaboring this one point, I'll move on.

II. "Sitting" on Champions

This one... Ooooooooh this one. This one irritates me. It gets under my skin and lights me on fire. There is absolutely no reason at all for this to happen. Everyone who merely refreshes their hold on a champion once a month, then does nothing with it, frankly, disgusts me. It feeds into the first problem, as the tendency I've seen in people with anything more than two champions is to let the extraneous ones rot. You can have all the personal issues you'd like, and I respect that, but really, if you're just going to do nothing, let someone who would actually be passionate and engaged with the Champion do so.

This also serves to keep a small community smaller, for fairly straightforward reasons. While the people sitting on a Champion might be "here" they're really not, and don't weigh in when the time comes for it to occur. It's a little like being part of a small community where a few hermits live within city limits. They're certainly "there", as in they live in the village, but they contribute nothing to the community and can in some cases actually become detractory to it. While it's not my place to say "Get the hell out, you're not wanted here" I've come close on several occasions.

Apart from the fact that it's happening to a few Champions I KNOW are wanted by others, it's not a major problem. Thankfully. I'll boil it down. Be active here or don't be here. That might sound mean, but it's the truth. No society moves ahead because people sit around and do nothing.

III. Sheer Abuse of Creative Liberty

Controversy~

I've been a staunch defender of creative liberties in the lives of champions for a while now. I'm actually a fairly good example. Skarner has aides, summoner that have been assigned to him by the League.

"Well that's dumb, he doesn't need those"

You'd be right, he doesn't need them. But does it make sense, and does it fit? It makes perfect sense to me, as Skarner is fairly incapable of writing, likely reading, operating most doors, climbing stairs, etc. Does it fit? I like to think so. I've never seen Skarner as a particularly prideful or avaricious individual, certainly not someone who I believe would be above accepting help for something. And so he has aides, he even lives with them. Why? I'm using them to explore Skarner's more personal side (Not right this very second, obviously, as they've only just recently shown up) without resorting to paragraph after paragraph of introspection that no other character can legitimately be a part of.

I'm also using them to avoid what I've seen as a flagrant, wanton abuse of Creative Liberty (CL from here on out). Relationships for the sake of relationships. And for once, I do indeed mean, romantic relationships. I'm fine with them in most cases. I'm especially fine with them if there's a legitimate character urge to go toward them. I toyed initially with the though of having Skarner flirt with Anivia (not quite as overtly and, frankly, poorly, as most flirting I see 'round here) but not merely because "Hey Skarner needs a dame".

My reasoning for even entertaining the notion was because of who they both are as individuals. Skarner and Anivia are both ancient beings with a fairly inborn love of the world. I view both of them as lovers of wisdom, compassion and motivation, something they both possess. What's more, Skarner is a sore thumb on the world of humans, who sticks out and is generally viewed as a creature more than a productive member of society. Anivia is also a creature, but has been around long enough to make a name for herself, I felt, which would've made her the ultimate solution to Skarner's crushing solitude in this world.

Okay look up and re-read that paragraph. That would never. ****ing. Happen. Not in Riot's lore. I don't think I could ever see it being a possibility simply because it's not the focus of the character, of either characters. But that, my friends, is where CL comes in. None of what I explained there deviates in any large portion from either of the characters. Skarner would definitely want a solution to his loneliness. Anivia is a fairly helpful individual. If nothing else, they'd be extremely close friends, based solely on the fact that their goals and motivations are similar.

What I'm doing right now is not justification. To justify would mean that there would need to be some sort of inherent flaw there, and really, besides the fact that they're different species, there's nothing stopping them from becoming romantically entwined. Even their physical differences wouldn't really matter.

Who can guess why? You're right, Blue Melee Minion, it is because "Romantic Relationship =/= Physical Relationship". The thing about CL is that it doesn't mean "I want to make X character do Y action because I'm the writer and what I say goes". Something that I feel a lot of people fail to grasp about the concept is that while yes, it's entirely possible that Garen and say, I'unno, Darius, could be lovers, for whatever insane reason, it's highly improbable.

This would be far, far, FAR easier if I could use present examples, but I can't, because that's...

IV. Being a **** Disturber

This one, really, explains itself. It's common courtesy. Don't call someone a name, don't attack who they are, be civil, it is really not that hard. If it isn't, you've likely got bigger things to worry about then League of Legends: The Role Playing Community Melodrama. Seriously, the second you attack someone, you lose all right to be defended, regardless of if you're in the right or not. It's low, it's pointless, and most of all, it makes you look like a huge, irreconcilable tool.

And don't get me wrong, this applies to each and every person on the face of the planet and beyond it. You call someone out, you're a tool. You've done nothing by doing so other than waste time and start a likely pointless argument. Remember that saying "If you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing at all"? It exists for a reason, which I've stated and restated several times.

No one's perfect. No one. People disagree. It'd be foolish of me to think they don't. But there's no reason to call someone down simply because their opinions and your own differ. Maybe I'm just a freak and that seems like a good idea to me, but I'm not sure I can count any real bitterness levied toward me around these parts. So next time you disagree with someone, all I ask is that you do your level best to remain as civil as humanly possible.

And if you really must be a tool about it...

V. Exercise Humility

Being utterly full of one's self gets nothing done and sets you up to fall. So don't. If no one agrees with you, it's probably because you're straight-up wrong. Opinions, contrary to popular belief, can be wrong. I can be of the opinion that trees are actually a liquid. It's an opinion, and I'm entitled to it, but if I put that to scrutiny, by say, telling someone that, I'm going to find very very quickly that no one agrees with me because hey hey, these liquid trees are kinda hard. I could flip out and get mad and call them all imbeciles but c'mon now. Trees aren't a liquid, meaning my opinion is wrong and rather than freak, I should admit my mistake (maybe even apologize *GASP*) and move on.

Pantpant

Okay. I'm done. Take what you will from this, I'm done ranting in a formal and reserved manner.

Addendum: If I offended you, my bad, but I feel I've presented myself in a reasonable manner. Either way, my apologies.

EDIT:

VI. Intimacy; Do's and Do Not's

Okay so ***. Sure it's great, fantastic, but I've felt for my entire life that wanton *** is pointless. It fulfills nothing but a physical urge and does nothing else. Now, my reason for saying this is because in a writing framework, unless you're just writing erotic fiction, no one really needs to see that. These forums are 13+ if I recall, and the idea that people are using them just to fictionally hook up kinda... Gives me the heebie jeebies.

*** has a place in writing, don't get me wrong. But that place is not "Just because". At least not when it's public to everyone. Honestly, regarding strictly rules, it shouldn't even be referenced, but... Whatever I can't change the world in under 24 hours. No, the place it has is a very important one, in that it should relate to character motivations. Really this particular point relates back to Point III. If it's done, does it contribute to the overall feel of the character? Or was it just done because "Hurrhurr that's funny I'll do dat narf." Was it important to them? Does it help to develop them as a character?

If any of those questions are answered with a no, go take your smut somewhere private, because these forums aren't the place for it. Even if they're all answered with a yes, Take it elsewhere, this ain't the place for it. I wouldn't sleep with my partner in the middle of town square, neither would a fair majority of the world. That's... Pretty much what you're doin'.

So go take it somewhere private, bring friends if you want, IDGAF, it's your privacy, you can pick how invaded it is, but it's not to be all but forced on others. One thing I gotta say though, is if you're gonna do it as the only way you advance your character, I don't think you're cut out for this role.

1Eredale 10-03-2012 02:11 AM

I have a feeling that this was posted already.

And yet the purplish stone bug is right. The issues were foretold, and here they are.

Dear Amumu 10-03-2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandscourgeSkarn (Hozzászólás 29833108)
IV. Being a **** Disturber

This one, really, explains itself. It's common courtesy. Don't call someone a name, don't attack who they are, be civil, it is really not that hard. If it is, you've likely got bigger things to worry about then League of Legends: The Role Playing Community Melodrama. Seriously, the second you attack someone, you lose all right to be defended, regardless of if you're in the right or not. It's low, it's pointless, and most of all, it makes you look like a huge, irreconcilable tool.

And don't get me wrong, this applies to each and every person on the face of the planet and beyond it. You call someone out, you're a tool. You've done nothing by doing so other than waste time and start a likely pointless argument. Remember that saying "If you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing at all"? It exists for a reason, which I've stated and restated several times.

No one's perfect. No one. People disagree. It'd be foolish of me to think they don't. But there's no reason to call someone down simply because their opinions and your own differ. Maybe I'm just a freak and that seems like a good idea to me, but I'm not sure I can count any real bitterness levied toward me around these parts. So next time you disagree with someone, all I ask is that you do your level best to remain as civil as humanly possible.

And if you really must be a tool about it...

V. Exercise Humility

Being utterly full of one's self gets nothing done and sets you up to fall. So don't. If no one agrees with you, it's probably because you're straight-up wrong. Opinions, contrary to popular belief, can be wrong. I can be of the opinion that trees are actually a liquid. It's an opinion, and I'm entitled to it, but if I put that to scrutiny, by say, telling someone that, I'm going to find very very quickly that no one agrees with me because hey hey, these liquid trees are kinda hard. I could flip out and get mad and call them all imbeciles but c'mon now. Trees aren't a liquid, meaning my opinion is wrong and rather than freak, I should admit my mistake (maybe even apologize *GASP*) and move on.

I just want to say that if anyone, ANYONE, thinks Skarner has never had issues with these points, you're wrong. He has had trouble with them before. HOWEVER, the reason he knows them so well is because he has learned them the hard way. Him and a friend of mine argued constantly, and it was actually a rather pointless argument (*coughcough*). They even argued to the point where they both were threatening to leave the RP community. BUT, when they finally decided to be civil about it, they actually realized, "Hey, we don't need to argue like this!" And with that, their arguing ended and we were all happy little people again. So what I'm saying is, these points are entirely valid and they work. Try it some time. Maybe you'll enjoy it.

Grand Viper 10-03-2012 04:18 AM

Skarner? I'm going to be fairly succinct.

I agree with you. Overall, I agree with you.

Paltala 10-03-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grand Viper (Hozzászólás 29834695)
Skarner? I'm going to be fairly succinct.

I agree with you. Overall, I agree with you.

This completely from me

Ask the Monkey 10-03-2012 04:58 AM

I'm....I'm having tears. He finally decided to write something....HALELUYA!

Ask the Megling 10-03-2012 05:35 AM

Hmm, Skarner is an East-coaster

Rick Mercer is an East-coaster

They both write insightful and interesting rants.

Coincidence?

TeoLeif 10-03-2012 05:44 AM

I think NOT!

*slams fists on a table*

Stormer1337 10-03-2012 06:04 AM

why am I an example

The Cryophoenix 10-03-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ask rumb1e (Hozzászólás 29835990)

why am I an example

He's not using you the player as an example dear, he's using the character Rumble in a list of champion names. XD Unless you actually have 6 champions, but I doubt that's the case. ;)

I'm very pleased to read this all Skarner, this has been bugging me quite a bit more and more ever since I left. It's been somewhat difficult to read other boards and threads because all of this is rampant in such a way, I mostly stick to threads that at this point make more sense than others. ^.^ Such as yours!

Reading stuff like this helps encourage me to come back, and hopefully very soon. ;)