League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Am I a really good support or am I just plain terrible at LOL? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2625748)

May Seychelles 09-30-2012 12:36 AM

Am I a really good support or am I just plain terrible at LOL?

I guess I'm just writing this post to do three things, vent a little, ask for help, or accept that I need to give up on this game. Which i am sorry for venting but I would like to find maybe someone here who has at least a little humanity to help me.

So I am sort of new to LOL, sort of not. Im about a level 10 but I lose most of the games I play. I'm not trying to level (honestly when i reach level 30 i doubt im even going to start ranked games until I can actually handle myself in this game). I am really just playing for fun thats it.

But let me tell you... I suck.... a lot... I honestly get raged at every other game, most of the time by my own team mates. I really cant manage if I'm not laning with another person and I tend to die a fair bit (Either that or I'm running away). I most certainly can NOT carry. In my mind i am about as good as a bot and if i went toe to toe with one it would pretty much come out even.

In games I tend to die from about 2-8 times usually, I get about 2-5 kills, and range from about 6-12 assists. I tend to like using mage supports (I use Lulu a lot) or just ranged champions in general.
I've heard supports are really unappreciated so that would explain the raging but... yeah I die a lot and most of the time I really do feel like i'm not helping at all. Like with Lulu I use Wild Growth on my allies and sometimes myself. But it really doesn't seem to do anything or help anyone besides the initial damage that it causes. Or with Wimsy, when I use it on others it just seems like its doing nothing for their playing performance. Are her abilities really as pointless as I think?

I don't really die at the beginning of the game, which is when I feel the best about my abilities, but towards the end I start getting slaughtered and if I don't die within minutes I have to recall to go heal again. I do my best but I cant really manage any kills so I pretty much just stay on the sidelines, casting a few spells here and there trying to harass the other team and keep my own team from dying.

I have read tons of guides from these forums and pretty much memorized the tips for the characters I play. But it just doesn't seem to be working. I don't know what I'm doing quite wrong but there has to be something.

As far as I know that sounds pretty pathetic but, I've heard that that's exactly what supports are supposed to do. But I'm really not sure. So does that sound like a good support to you all, or am I just worthless? Is there any way to get better at supports or carries, or does that all just come with experience? Finally, should I give up (because obviously i am going nowhere) or should I just keep my head up and try to ignore the haters?

Lethadind 09-30-2012 01:00 AM

Without playing with you I can't really say how you are playing. All I have to go off of is what you've said. Realize there are two things that could be going on:

1) Your teammates are bad
2) You are bad

If your teammates are bad, no amount of harass will help. If you are bad and just can't see what you're doing, then there's not much I can do without looking at a replay.

I'm guessing that it's both. People like to rage because it makes them feel like it's not their fault. Chances are you need to improve your positioning is all. As long as you are focusing primary targets then you shouldn't be doing as bad as you say, my guess is that you aren't staying behind your tanks. People usually don't focus a support unless it's an easy-as-hell kill.

My advice would be work on your teamfight positioning. With Lulu, for instance, you want to be basically right next to the ADC. Why? You need to peel for him, and when he engages is when you should engage as well. "Peel" means if someone tries to assassinate your ADC, you slow them, then polymorph them, then ult the ADC if you need to. Being right next to him will keep you away from the fight, for the most part, but in close enough range to CC their team (which is basically all Lulu is - a walking CC + her ult).

Hope that helped.

Rezo 09-30-2012 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by May Seychelles (Hozzászólás 29749829)
I guess I'm just writing this post to do three things, vent a little, ask for help, or accept that I need to give up on this game. Which i am sorry for venting but I would like to find maybe someone here who has at least a little humanity to help me.

So I am sort of new to LOL, sort of not. Im about a level 10 but I lose most of the games I play. I'm not trying to level (honestly when i reach level 30 i doubt im even going to start ranked games until I can actually handle myself in this game). I am really just playing for fun thats it.

But let me tell you... I suck.... a lot... I honestly get raged at every other game, most of the time by my own team mates. I really cant manage if I'm not laning with another person and I tend to die a fair bit (Either that or I'm running away). I most certainly can NOT carry. In my mind i am about as good as a bot and if i went toe to toe with one it would pretty much come out even.

In games I tend to die from about 2-8 times usually, I get about 2-5 kills, and range from about 6-12 assists. I tend to like using mage supports (I use Lulu a lot) or just ranged champions in general.
I've heard supports are really unappreciated so that would explain the raging but... yeah I die a lot and most of the time I really do feel like i'm not helping at all. Like with Lulu I use Wild Growth on my allies and sometimes myself. But it really doesn't seem to do anything or help anyone besides the initial damage that it causes. Or with Wimsy, when I use it on others it just seems like its doing nothing for their playing performance. Are her abilities really as pointless as I think?

I don't really die at the beginning of the game, which is when I feel the best about my abilities, but towards the end I start getting slaughtered and if I don't die within minutes I have to recall to go heal again. I do my best but I cant really manage any kills so I pretty much just stay on the sidelines, casting a few spells here and there trying to harass the other team and keep my own team from dying.

I have read tons of guides from these forums and pretty much memorized the tips for the characters I play. But it just doesn't seem to be working. I don't know what I'm doing quite wrong but there has to be something.

As far as I know that sounds pretty pathetic but, I've heard that that's exactly what supports are supposed to do. But I'm really not sure. So does that sound like a good support to you all, or am I just worthless? Is there any way to get better at supports or carries, or does that all just come with experience? Finally, should I give up (because obviously i am going nowhere) or should I just keep my head up and try to ignore the haters?

Don't believe it if you have heard people tell you that support is the easiest role to play because it most certainly is not (Well technically I suppose physically it is). In order to play a good support you need to have a good understanding of what you, ur adc, the enemy adc, and the enemy support is capable of. If you fail to exhaust in time, fail to respond in time, initiate at an inappropriate time, ward incorrectly etc etc etc you are going to cause problems and you are going to get raged at.

Unless you are queueing with someone thats lvl30 with plenty of experience thats willing to bot lane with you then I don't recommend bot lane at all for learning. Not ADC and certainly not support. I recommend top for people learning the game.

Edit: Once you feel you have a good grasp on what champions are capable of I personally suggest practicing support with Leona. I suggest Leona because shes an all in kind of support with good CC. That means you are in more control of when the engages occur and you will learn very quickly the importance of knowing how the fight is going to play out before the engage ;)

NGG Codeluke 09-30-2012 08:38 AM

Play Moar bot games

Sereg Anfaug 09-30-2012 10:07 AM

You're level 10. You've barely started. Give it time.

Play beginner bots until you never lose and consistently do well. Then move to intermediate, until you meet the same criteria. Once you're there, then you can feel free to start blind PvP. Stick with that for a long time, because playing against real people is alot different then playing against bots.

Once you have a good feel for several different roles, move on to draft and start to learn the meta.

You have a long way to go, so don't feel too badly about poor performance just yet. As a level ten, you really shouldn't be playing PvP, so that's probably what's causing most of the difficulty. If you *are* playing AI only, then the problem is that you're playing a support at all. They don't become useful until PvP games, because against bots you're better off playing a carry so you can make kills and push lanes faster. Just remember that this will change when you eventually do start playing PvP - five carries will get you a very quick loss.

Tamahachi 10-01-2012 10:32 AM

Though I feel that playing only bot games could develop bad habits like tower diving, chasing into the jungle too long, etc. Perhaps you can play with some friends? If they're level 30, see if they have a smurf account to help you learn.

Phunya 10-01-2012 12:10 PM

Simply put from your perspective, a support can't expect much but to buff his allies and provide some small poking and harass late game. The nature of a support is to also depend on his allies as much as they depend on the support, granted, you do have responsibilities in changing the game (calling mias, back-pinging, warding, using Wild Growth optimally, etc), you're not there to carry, you're there to SUPPORT your adc (most likely your laning partner) so that he/she/it can carry. If the opponent is facerolling your team, and the ones doing the facerolling weren't your laning opponents, then the rest of your team is at fault, there's not much the support can do at that point.

moeido 10-01-2012 03:23 PM

add me on LOL and ill help u and teach u. my summoner's name is moeido . talk to u soon man

Horsicorn 10-01-2012 05:47 PM

yeah you're level 10, there's a learning curve, i'm sure you'll be competent by the time you reach 30, you seem to have the drive to learn and admit that you need improvement, which already puts you ahead of 80% of the league community.

actually, and im not being funny when i say this, i think your problem is that you're playing support champs in lvl 10 games. just because people do it in level 30/ranked games doesn't mean you should do it at lvl 10. a big part of it is that successful supporting requires a lot of coordination between your lane partner (during laning) and ur team. players at lvl 10 won't know how to take advantage of a janna shield/soraka armor buff/cc. not to mention your enemies go into the jungle, go for baron/dragon a lot less, and roam/gank way way less then they will at level 30, so that really downplays the importance of map control which is a fairly large part of the supports job. basically my point is that at your level it's pretty much the same as ARAM and by playing a support champ you're really just gimping your team's damage by 1/5. my advice, if you really like the support role and are considering playing it when you get to 30, start by playing adc. support is probably my second best role behind adc, but everything i've learned about it i know from maining adc.

tl;dr
screw actual team comp in lvl 10 games, 2 adc's 2 ap and teemo is how you win, you're doing your team a disfavor by playing a support champ

kavinh the third 10-06-2012 02:19 AM

tbh u can't expect players to just sit back and say hey nice try even though you cost us the game 99% of the time people will whine and cry and it's normal considering they lost around half an hour.
If you want to keep playing league u should learn to ignore these people completely, because chances are even if ur the best league player ever u'll have a bad game occasionally and having them losses make you quit the game due to teammates bming you is normal. If you can't stand it i recommend you dont play Moba games and instead switch to something more solo friendly.