League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] Rammus--Can't Touch This (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=258919)

MathMage 09-22-2010 01:03 AM

[Guide] Rammus--Can't Touch This

Table of Contents
  • Changelog and Acknowledgments
  • Introduction
  • Champion Abilities
  • Runes & Masteries
  • Summoner Spells
  • Item Build
  • Game Strategy
  • Conclusion

Changelog and Acknowledgments
Last Edited: 12/18/10
  • Removed Sunfire stacking discussion, added Warmog's Armor discussion.
  • Adjusted masteries and runes
  • Added list of good summoner spell combinations.
  • Condensed item build upon further play.
  • Major changes made, writing tersed up; now discusses 1v2 laning, 2v1 laning, and jungling--for the last, thanks brainlizard and Eleventh!
  • Guide now appears in the Complete List of Guides, where a typo was fixed--thanks Aregionius!
  • Adjusted mastery list to reflect the serious benefits of Strength of Spirit--thanks AreYouReady2Die!
  • Added to the list of starting items--thanks Redenbacher for NMM! (since removed)
  • Added discussion of offensive items at the end of the item build
  • Added alternate rune considerations--thanks DrDragun and Luckywild!
  • DBC damage returned on a dodge confirmed--thanks Luckywild!

Introduction

This is not a guide to high-ELO play with Rammus. I'm just climbing out of ranked play newbie island as of this update (thanks in no small part to jungle Rammus). But I feel the need to give something back to the champion who is making my LoL life so much fun. Above and beyond his tanking prowess, his ability to gank and countergank, his ally-saving skills, Rammus is a fun champion. Do well or poorly, but you will like LoL more after spending a game zipping around the map with this awesome armored armadillo.

Of course, it's more fun to do well. That's what this is for.

Warning: Wall of text incoming.

Champion Abilities

I will assume that, having a functional frontal lobe, you are capable of accessing Rammus' abilities on LoL Wiki. So I'll go straight into tactics.

Passive: Spiked Shell. The armor-to-damage conversion means you don't need to juggle defense and damage output as much, because they both go up. It's a bonus, though, not an integral build feature.

Q: Powerball. This is why you are Rammus. Mastery of it is how you get good at Rammus. Initiate ganks, chase down foes, run away, threaten harassment, farm creeps--you'll wear your Q button out. Learn the hitbox--nothing is more frustrating than spotting a gank opportunity and missing out because you hit a creep. Learn to micro it well, so you can chase champs around creep waves and avoid hitting the wolves in the jungle. Remember Flash tricks--Flash past the opponent and Powerball him back towards your allies (or just away from a turret), or flash into a group of foes to initiate a teamfight by hitting all of them. Leveling Powerball scales the damage and the slow %, but not the speed boost or slow duration, which are what we really like about the ability, so max it last.

W: Defensive Ball Curl. This is why you are a good damage soak. Activate when you're being harassed early game. Activate when facing autoattackers like Yi, Sivir, Udyr, Ashe. Activate early in teamfights. Just activate it whenever there's action and you don't have to Powerball immediately. Armor, MR, and damage returned all scale, so max this second. Remember you can now cancel DBC if you need to Powerball. Just don't press W twice by accident, or you'll get murdered thinking you're on top of the world. Get early ranks if you're jungling or facing heavy harass.

E: Taunt. This is why you're a good tank. Practically any time you're looking at an enemy, you should be looking for an opportunity to taunt them. Any time you enter a teamfight, you should be seeking out and taunting the enemy carry. When the other team features a devastating channeled ult like Miss Fortune, Fiddlesticks, or Nunu, you should be looking to keep them from going off. When a teammate's being chased, you taunt the chaser and now he chases you--and dies. Early-game, remember that the standard trick is to Taunt your enemy near your tower so that they attack you, the tower attacks them, and then you Powerball to slow them. Will often result in a kill or forced blue pill. Hilarious when teaming with Shen: they're stuck autoattacking you till they die. It's so much more useful at high levels--the duration goes to a ridiculous 3 seconds--that you want to max it first, without question.

R: Tremors. This is why you are good at killing people. The AoE DoT is amazing in teamfights--consider teaming with Amumu, Sona, and other mass disablers just for this. It's another reason Rammus is a good chaser--he doesn't need to stop and autoattack if he's pounding you into the ground just by standing next to you. A Taunt-Tremors combo is your first big burst in any fight--keep in mind that ranged characters will not throw themselves on your spikes when taunted the way meleers will, so you need to go to them. This ability is also the sum total of Rammus' pushing power, as it damages towers too. He's not Yi, but he'll take out half a tower just by being there. And then he can keep the reinforcements off your Yi with Taunt. Isn't it lovely?

Skill Order: This depends on what you're doing and who you're facing.

2v2 or 2v1 lane: Q, E, E/W, W/E, E, R. It's all about punishing your opponents for overextending, or hinting at overextending, or just sitting there make you want to overextend...ah, well.

1v2 lane: Q, E/W, W/E, W, E, R. With no need to help a partner gank, you're more focused on soaking damage.

Jungling: W, Q, W, E, W/E, R. W is what lets Rammus jungle, and it's spammable with its low mana cost.

After that, R > E > W > Q.

Runes & Masteries

Prioritize Defense over Utility, with the exception that the Ghost and Smite masteries are always worth the point if you're taking the spells. Always get Strength of Spirit--it gives 3% of your max mana as hp/5, not 0.3%, and the only reason nobody's told Riot about the typo is because they're terrified it will be 'fixed'.

Laning Rammus will typically go 0/21/9 or 0/22/8, and Jungle Rammus will typically go 1/21/8. An alternative mastery build is 0/16/14 or 0/17/13 (1/16/13 for junglers).

On my standard 1/21/8 Smite/Flash Rammus, my masteries are:
3/3 Resistance
3/3 Armor
3/3 Strength of Spirit
3/3 Harden Skin
1/2 Defensive Mastery
4/4 Veteran's Scars
3/3 Ardor
1/1 Tenacity

3/3 Perseverance
1/3 Good Hands
4/4 Awareness

Laners will typically trade out Ardor and Defensive Mastery, and grab the Nimbleness tree. It's especially valuable if against a physical-heavy team where Ninja Tabi will come into play.

A 0/17/13 Flash-Cleanse Rammus might look like this:
3/3 Resistance
1/3 Armor
3/3 Strength of Spirit
4/4 Evasion
1/1 Nimbleness
4/4 Veteran's Scars
1/1 Willpower

1/3 Good Hands
3/3 Perseverance
2/4 Awareness
4/4 Expanded Mind
3/3 Meditation

A jungler will skip Expanded Mind for maxing Awareness and the bonus to buff durations, as well as swapping Willpower for the improved Smite mastery.

Runes are variable. Marks can be armor pen, armor, or magic pen. The former two are much better for jungling, since golem, lizard and dragon all have some armor and **** MR, and most of your damage will come from autoattacking them. Magic pen is more useful once you get Tremors, though. Seals can be armor or dodge--again, armor kicks butt jungling and early-game, dodge starts winning later on. Glyphs can be magic resist, cooldown reduction, or mana regen. Quints can be health or armor. My setup is armor pen, armor, CDR, and one health/two armor.

Summoner Spells

Recommended:
Flash. Always an excellent spell, even better with Rammus. There are so many tricks you can play with this and Powerball, from skipping over creeps and surprising the enemy to slowing an entire team on teamfight initiation (or getting to that Kog'Maw in back). It is also wonderful for escaping. I've Flashed away from countless early-game ganks, and escaped numerous teamfights with <100 health. It will save your life. When I'm jungling, this is my second spell. The rest of the time, it's my first.

Ghost. It's getting nerfed because everyone's using it, and you should too. Chasing, initiating, fleeing, Ghost does it all. With Powerball, you'll be as agile as anyone with Teleport. It will save your life and your towers.

Cleanse. Snares, stuns, and other disables can ruin Rammus, just like any other champion; Tremors keeps going, but you can't do the important tanking stuff. Cleanse will save your life and win teamfights. A great counterpick in matches heavy on disables, especially AoE disables (if opponents are wasting single-target disables on you in teamfights, you're doing your job), or Mordekaiser.

Clairvoyance. The map control skill. If no one's running it, you should. It will save your team's lives. Learn to use it.

Fortify. Another team skill. Useful when someone is attacking a tower and you haven't quite got there yet. Also, early game you can use it to boost your Taunt tricks.

Smite. It's required if you're jungling. End of story.

Meh:
Teleport. I used to think this was terrible. Its map control is redundant if you use Ghost. You're one of the fastest characters in the game, you don't need to skip the travel time because there isn't any to begin with. Ghost gives better surprise value, too. One second from the brush to the enemy, or four seconds of swirling light around a minion? But there's a neat trick associated with this for crafty Rammus players. Start Powerballing, and immediately teleport. You'll come out still ballin' and ready to rock the house. Still not enough to make me *want* to use it, but others love it. You might too.

Heal. Better on a support; Rammus prefers other team skills.

Exhaust. This is redundant. You have Powerball, you have Taunt. What you need is to get in a position to use them. Ghost and Flash will always, always, always do this better than Exhaust. You will run better, chase better, and initiate better with either of those spells. Exhaust looks more appealing if the other team has Yi or Tryndamere, of course, but you're better served just keeping the game short.

Ignite. It's about killing, not surviving. You're a tank. Leave this to Annie. The exception is if Mundo, Swain, and Sona are on the other team.

Clarity. Rammus can do without mana--at the very least, long enough to get to a Golem. His key stat is health. Great if a teammate gets it, but you don't want to.

Avoid:
Rally. You're mobile. Rally isn't.

Revive. Just don't.

Good combinations:
These are not the only ways to put the spells together, but they're solid synergies that players should know, and know how to use.

Smite + Flash. This is the gold standard for jungling Rammus, and it's what I usually use. Flash gives the most overall bang for your buck, for ganking out of the jungle, getting away from a gank squad intent on penetrating your jungle, or initiating. Specialize according to the matchup, of course.

Cleanse + Flash. Typically, two things stand between Rammus and escape: CC, and minions. This is how you get away from both. Also good against channeled ults. If you're caught in the middle of a Galio ult, Cleanse and taunt; if the rest of the team is caught, Flash and taunt.

Ghost/Teleport + Fortify. This is the best way to play the tower game, both for surprise pushes and for defense against surprise pushes.

Ghost/Flash + Ignite/Exhaust. Ganktastic; an initiation and a finisher. Take Ignite vs. healers, Exhaust vs. hard DPS carries, and your preference vs. anyone else. Could also take these spells with Smite to gank better out of the jungle.

Ghost/Teleport + Revive. The 'I'm just blowing off some steam' build. Don't take it yourself unless you're trying to set speed records; I'm just letting you know that like Revive Panth, this is out there, and not to condemn an opposing Rammus player as n00b immediately if he has this. Wait 10 or 15 minutes, and he'll probably give you ample evidence to reach that conclusion independent of his summoner spells.

Item Build

Tricky. You aren't Twitch, who only needs Infinity Edge and then can spam Haunting Guises if he wants to. You aren't Ryze, who is forced down a single item path in order to be effective. More than any other character, Rammus' "best item build" is determined by the team compositions. You need to be flexible, because your survivability depends on what you need to survive against. You may even need to stack AP/AD, because no one else on your team is getting the job done. What you build is what the team needs; nothing less will do.

(For this reason, I can't just post a list of items and say "follow this to win." So if you skipped down here to avoid the wall of text, well, too bad. You can skip to the example build, though...if you're laaaaaaaaaazy.)

NOTE: ALWAYS GET WARDS. They win games. Do it.

Laning
Ordinarily, I start with Regrowth Pendant + HP Pot. You will be taking harassment during the laning phase if you want your last hits. Your skills are oriented around taking damage--you're only useful if Taunt doesn't mean you die to autoattacks. Regrowth gets you that health back faster than anything else. With Strength of Spirit, you have 20+ hp/5 from level 1--if that's not enough, buy Philosopher's Stone on your first trip back, get 5 gold/10 out of the bargain, and maybe build Shurelya's Reverie later.

Doran's Shield + pot is another alternative--I find it less useful, but it's a canonical choice for any tanky character in high-level play.

Some people play Sapphire Crystal + pots to spring for Tear of the Goddess, since it gives nice health regen and builds into Archangel's Staff for offense. I haven't had good experiences with this, because you need Tear to make it useful, which delays the build more than I'd like. But AP Rammus is a viable option for those that are interested.

On the other side of the crystal aisle, Ruby Crystal rushes Heart of Gold. That advances your build nicely, and 200 health is a nice advantage--but only if you can afford to blue pill early. Else the lack of regen (not even a potion!) becomes a liability.

The last option is Rejuvenation Bead + 2 Sight Wards + pot.. You might take this if you want to defend against a jungler, or if you just want wards from early on. You build towards Warden's Armor instead of Philosopher's Stone, too. I'm still not sure if the cost to regen is worth it--just be more careful in early laning.

Jungling
This is much simpler. Start with Cloth Armor + 5 HP pots. That Cloth Armor is heading for Heart of Gold rather than Ninja Tabi most of the time.

Core Build
Despite how I previously emphasized the importance of adjusting Rammus' item list to fit the team comps, I usually find myself building about the same way each game: Boots, primary damage reduction, secondary damage reduction, Guardian Angel. Whether armor or MR is your primary DR depends on who you're playing against.

About 75% of the time, you'll want Mercury Treads over Ninja Tabi. CC worries you more than autoattacks. If they are stacked with autoattackers, Tabi becomes better (DBC still activates on a dodge, don't worry about that). It's also cheap if you're just coming out of the jungle, though not much more so than Boots 1 + Heart of Gold. You will never need any other pair of boots...unless you're AP Rammus roflstomping and want magic pen. Fine, get your Sorc Shoes and go away. *sigh*

90% of the time, your next two big items are Randuin's Omen and Banshee's Veil. I find these items to be Rammus' best options. Health, damage reduction, and sweet sweet abilities. Against a balanced team, you can build pieces at a time--say, Heart of Gold + Negatron Cloak. That way you get a balanced resistance package, more strength in your primary DR, and health. Then finish the two items, and skip the next section.

Variations
If their team is stacked physical, cheer. This is what you're made for. Grab Thornmail around when you build Heart of Gold, so enemies pay for focusing you. Then after they've learned not to focus you, you finish Randuin's, and now they can't get away. Build your Banshee's after that--or if they have no mages at all, laugh and build yourself a Sunfire Cape. You win the game now.

If their team is stacked magic, cheer. This is what you're made for. No, really! You get 150 MR for free when MR is harder than armor to come by. You go Banshee's, then Force of Nature. If they focus you, grab Quicksilver Sash. If they don't, go for Abyssal Scepter--no, really. As with the all-physical team, you'll probably want some measures against the secondary damage, but you can afford to stop at Warden's Mail or Thornmail. You'll walk right through everything the enemy throws at you and Taunt them into autoattacking you for piddly damage while your team massacres them.

Rammus is one of the few champions that can appreciate a Warmog's Armor early on (but after Heart of Gold if you're jungling, if you please). He's assist-happy, health-starved, and high on mitigation--all points that favor health stacking early. At level 13, when you max DBC, you have over 220 armor and 180 MR naturally--but only about 1600 health with runes and masteries. Randuin's takes you to 300 armor and 1900 health; Banshee's Veil gives you 230 MR and 2000 health. Warmog's takes you to 2500 --> 2950 health, which will last you a long time against a balanced team. But keep in mind that it's only really effective when DBC is active (which should be anytime you're doing something important, so not that problematic). You also lose out on passives. Final note: pure mitigation items like Thornmail/Force of Nature/Guardian Angel become better options once you've stacked health, as they don't offer it themselves.

Finishing Up
Final items are utility. Everyone wants Guardian Angel. Rylai's Crystal Scepter gives oomph to your abilities, Atma's Impaler gives oomph to your autoattack. Frozen Heart shuts their autoattackers down. Keep up on which enemy is carrying the team, and grab DR to match.

Example build order:
Regrowth Pendant + HP Pot (470g)
Pendant --> Philosopher's Stone + Boots of Speed (715g)
Boots --> Mercury's Treads + Chain Shirt (1550g)
Chain Shirt --> Warden's Mail + Negatron Cloak (1390g)
Warden's Mail --> Randuin's Omen (1575g)
Negatron Cloak --> Banshee's Veil (1975g)
Guardian Angel (2600g)
Abyssal Scepter (2650g)
Stone --> Shurelya's Reverie (1400g--or sell and buy Frozen Heart, net 2675g)

Total: 14,425g (or 15,700g)--so you'll almost never finish this build, and you won't have to. The core build (Treads, Omen, Veil, GA) is only 8440 gold.

Again, remember to buy wards. You aren't so dependent on rushing that IE or whatever that you can't help the team, especially if you're jungling. Even a short 25-minute game with no other jungler will see me buying half a dozen wards, and I'm never sorry. Worst-case scenario, you're only out 27 gold selling them back.

Game Strategy

Pregame
Though it's so important, there really isn't much to say here. Rammus fits into many teams. Everyone needs a tank; everyone needs an initiator; everyone needs a jungler. Obviously Rammus is a great counterpick to physical DPS in ranked; not as good as Galio against mages, but he's flexible enough to go with it. Make sure your team has enough ranged characters so you don't get poked to death.

Lane Assignments
Rammus never does solo mid. Period. You don't own the laning phase the way a Mordekaiser does, you don't need to rush your ult as badly as Annie does, and you don't carry the team late the way an Ashe does. Also avoid 1v1 side lanes, for essentially the same reason.

2v2 Lane
Rammus is a damage sponge and a single-target CC'er. He is complemented by someone who can put out high damage on the target of his Taunt. Failing that, another damage sponge or a healer makes you essentially unharassable--Rammus-Taric can sleepwalk through the laning phase. Taunt and Powerball give your laning partner more time to get stabby, and keep the opponents from getting stabby on your laning partner. DBC keeps you alive while doing this. Just like with any champion, divide your attention between last hits, harass, and zone control.

1v2 Lane
"But he's melee!" you cry. "He'll be zoned out and outleveled! That tower will be down in 8 minutes!" Nope. Rammus is great at maintaining an ideal creep line, just out of his tower range. If they get in tower range, he's great at competing with it for last hits. Powerball (and Flash/Ghost/map awareness) means early ganks can suck it, and DBC means early harass can suck it. Taunt means they can't touch your tower. And you get Tremors before their ults are up. Your opponents can farm, but you'll get more money and more experience, and you'll kick their butts at the slightest opportunity. Later on, you'll actually be an effective carry tank. It's a sweet feeling.

2v1 Lane
This goes against the "stick to your tower" philosophy, but Rammus can create a huge ganking zone thanks to Powerballing in the bushes. Control the creep line and keep your opponent scared of your taunt. Honestly, not enough people know how to play 2v1s in general--I'd avoid them in solo queue simply because your partner will autoattack the creep line into the other tower every time.

Jungling
Rammus is a great, great jungler, and I would always go for this unless Warwick's on your team. Golem-wolves-wraiths-lizard-golems with pots running and you're level 4 by 3:45 with plenty of health to keep going, or gank--and oh, how you will gank. Powerball + flash is the initiation of choice, up there with a Warwick ult. You wreck level 2's and 3's with just your autoattack. Combine that with the armor debuff from Taunt, the damage return from DBC, and a partner in the gank...yeah, they're usually dead. Ideally, you base around 6:30 at level 6 with ~1300 gold for Heart of Gold/Chain Vest, Boots 1, and spare wards and pots. Since you'll get or assist first blood a lot, this isn't too hard. Remember that your golem will respawn at around 7:15 (and theirs, if they've a jungler), and that you'll probably need a partner to do dragon (luckily, with all your ganking there'll be no shortage of extra champs to give you a hand).

Tower Game
Any time one of your towers is being threatened, you are one of the best people to deal with it. (This is why you should not be the only tank, otherwise you end up with a decision between a lost tower and a lost teamfight.) Powerball lets you cover the distance in an instant. If you time it right, you can even arrive at the tower just at the peak of your Powerball and hit them. Then you do the Taunt combo in tower range...you see why Rammus is so good against pushes? Plus his Tremors slice through minion waves like a flail through rice paper. Rammus can take on the pushing role himself, to a degree. He has the escape mechanisms you need to do it without dying, but he doesn't have quite the damage output to take down a tower quickly. Anything at less than half health he can take in eight seconds; otherwise, he'll need multiple tries at it. So Rammus has a somewhat schizophrenic game bouncing between lone pushes and team dancing. Luckily, he has the speed to pull it off.

If the team does poorly in the early game, don't panic! Because you're such a defensive force, you can stem the tide pushing down your towers. You will get numerous kills and a lot of gold, and with a lot of good play and a little luck, you can start pushing back. One of my most recent games played out this way. Our mid Vlad died a couple times feeding their mid--Miss Fortune, I think--and ragequit at level 5. They pushed down our mid inhibitor at 19:30, despite reshuffling to deal with the sudden 5v4. We were underleveled, losing teamfights, losing towers, everything was going south. I even said on all chat that we were in surrender mode--and when I said it, I believed it. 2/6/2 will do that to a guy. But they got a little cocky, and every time they came into our territory, they paid for it. I Powerballed into anyone who looked even a little squishy, Taunted, Tremored, got a little DPS support from the team or the towers, got a kill. Chased after whoever got caught nearby. Turned back as soon as it looked like reinforcements were on the way. 20 minutes later, I was 18/10/4 and we were dancing around mid again. It's unfortunate that the server chose that time to crash, and we got the loss (probably their minions pushed down our nexus during lag time), but I learned a valuable lesson: Rammus can turn games around like nobody's business. So never say die until your nexus turrets have crashed and burned and your death counter is racing the nexus' life.

Teamfights
As mentioned above, Rammus' basic combo here is the same as when ganking. The key is knowing when to initiate and who to initiate on. You lead your team into fights, so you have to know how to pick 'em. An ideal sequence might have you Powerballing, flashing into Sion and Soraka to slow them, then heading straight for Annie with a Taunt-Tremor-DBC. Then chaos erupts. You will take a lot of damage. If it looks like someone's about to realize that, hey wait a second, he shouldn't be hitting you when Ashe over there is putting arrow after arrow up his ass, you forcefully remind him who he's supposed to be trying to deal with--switch from DBC back into Powerball, or Taunt again (don't you love low CDs?).

When you've about a quarter health, you start getting the hell out of Dodge. You've done your job, used up your health, now it's time to escape with your life so that the opponents have wasted their time. Opponents love to come chase you, because they see a low-health hero running away. This lets the rest of the team kite them if they focus you, or you get away if they don't, and you can come back in to save the carry with another well-placed Taunt if needed. Then you Flash/Ghost/Powerball/otherwise make sure you get away. I've even run deep into enemy territory to make sure I was far enough away to blue-pill. It throws them off.

Will this win every teamfight for you? No. Sometimes you and your team coordinated poorly and ended up focusing Singed while the aforementioned Annie threw Tibbers and scattered your friends to the four corners of the map. Sometimes you'll engage, and suffer a beatdown for 10 seconds, and note with some surprise that your teammates haven't followed you. Sometimes you won't get away, and even the extra time you bought isn't enough, because they are better-positioned, or fed, or just better. But it ensures that you do the most for your team without giving anything away to the enemy. They want your nexus, they better come take it, and be prepared to deal with one helluva Rammus from base to base. It also drives the enemy nuts when you consistently escape with less than 300 health. It means they did something wrong--it must mean they did something wrong, because otherwise it means they just weren't enough to take you. And they weren't, of course. You took them.

Conclusion

If you got all the way down here, congratulations. I certainly wasn't expecting to write something this long when I got started. Rammus is one of the more difficult champions to build, but he's one of the best at teaching map control, gank patterns, and survival. He kills, he helps others kill, he pushes--the takedowns pile up due to his amazing map presence. Best of all, he's just a blast to play. So take him for a spin next time he's free, and see how you like him. He might just end up your main champion.

Redenbacher 09-22-2010 02:04 AM

Great guide, and I also appreciate the flexibility of the build. Few guides, even for tanks, establish the fact that there is no end-all be-all build for every game, and you nailed that.

I was surprised by the early Regrowth Pendant, that's one thing I haven't tried as Rammus. Usually I go with Doran's Shield, Cloth Armor, or Null Magic Mantle, depending on the enemy team. Much later in the game, however, I could see upgrading the Philospher's Stone in to the Reverie to boost your team in to the fight faster, or aid in chasing, would be helpful as a luxury item now that it has a path.

Great game strategy, and well written overall.

MathMage 09-22-2010 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redenbacher (Hozzászólás 3040201)
Great guide, and I also appreciate the flexibility of the build. Few guides, even for tanks, establish the fact that there is no end-all be-all build for every game, and you nailed that.

Thanks! I was worried that I hedged my bets too much on items, and sorta ended up picking all of them for the guide. I'm glad you don't see it that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redenbacher (Hozzászólás 3040201)
I was surprised by the early Regrowth Pendant, that's one thing I haven't tried as Rammus. Usually I go with Doran's Shield, Cloth Armor, or Null Magic Mantle, depending on the enemy team. Much later in the game, however, I could see upgrading the Philospher's Stone in to the Reverie to boost your team in to the fight faster, or aid in chasing, would be helpful as a luxury item now that it has a path.

Hadn't thought about NMM. Good way to start against a magic-heavy team, especially when early mages often act as a counter to Rammus. Reverie seems...I dunno, very different from the other items. Certainly it'd be nice for ganks where just a little bit of CDR means success vs. failure.

DrDragun 09-22-2010 05:22 AM

Solid guide. Strongly consider +Armor yellow runes. You can get 12.7 armor from yellow runes which is also +3 damage at the game start (this is more than taking pure attack damage runes!)

You can get an additional +12.8 armor from quintessences, giving +25.5 armor and +6.4 damage at level 1 (this is great for jungling btw).

Luckywild 09-22-2010 05:39 AM

I play Ram a lot, and while I like what you said in most of this guide, allow me to offer a suggestion for you to try:

Start with Cloth armor and build it into a Heart of Gold asap. You're going to be porting back as soon as you hit 675 gold (to maximize HoG) so you don't really need early regen.

I also usually grab Heal as one of my summoner spells, so that helps.

After you have built your boots and first defensive item or two (usually sunfire cape + Thornmail or Banshee) you can upgrade the HoG into Randuins, which might be the best item on Ram. It's amazing in teamfights.

I totally agree that Ram has farming troubles and the extra gold is sorely needed on him.

I think it's better to only take one rank of Powerball, then focus on leveling Curl and Taunt (taking tremor whenever possible). Powerball doesn't have amazing damage and it's generally used in the early game as an escape. Taunt and DBC are your bread and butter.

Magic pen runes > armor pen runes. All your attacks (DBC, Tremor and Powerball) are Magic based. If you are killing someone with autoattacks, they suck anyway and armor pen runes aren't going to make the difference. Go Magic Pen and watch how quickly people drop. You are correct that damage is returned to the attcker even if you dodge the attack, so I agree with dodge seals. Some people say armor seals, I can see an arguement for both. For glyphs I like CDR (more tremors = more assists) but Magic Resitance is good too, go with what you like. For quints flat health is a must.

Anyway, try it out and see what you think.

AreYouReady2Die 09-22-2010 09:24 AM

Viable strategy to rammus I play him often anytime I need to tank however, few improvements that sound odd for a tank and works well for any mana using tank and will make life easy... I rune quint magic pen and red magic pen/armor pen mix, yellows dodge and armor, blues cooldown, for mastery I get magic and armor pen, 3 points in utility for regn, rest into defense, the defense tree skill most important and the main trick I have when I tank that makes people wonder WTF.. The second tier skill under magic resist, it gives hp regen of 3% of ur mana pool.

With that mastery and tear of the goddess grabbed early adds 40-50 hp per 5 regen and a huge mana pool, before the patch I used manamune, but now ArchAngel staff.

Typically I get melki's first basic boots, upgrade to tear, then finish ninja tabi and then 2 sunfire, and thornmail/guardian/frozen armor(ap boost, huge armor, more regen, and cooldown reduction), or force of nature for my last 2 depending on enemy team makeup. Thornmail/force of nature usually, for a physical/magic mix team, thornmail/frozen for heavy physical, or force of nature/guardian for heavy magic groups.

Archangel boosts ur defense curl, lollerball, and ult damage and with offense mastery penetration and some runes you will double your kills, and have more regen, add in a good support and their life will be miserable

AreYouReady2Die 09-22-2010 10:19 AM

Viable strategy to playing rammus in this guide..

I play him often anytime I need to tank however, few improvements that sound odd for a tank and works well for any mana using tank and will make life easy... I rune quint magic pen and red magic pen/armor pen mix, yellows dodge and armor, blues cooldown, for mastery I get magic and armor pen, 3 points in utility for regn, rest into defense, the defense tree skill most important and the main trick I have when I tank that makes people wonder WTF.. The second tier skill under magic resist, it gives hp regen of 3% of ur mana pool.

With that mastery and tear of the goddess grabbed early adds 40-50 hp per 5 regen and a huge mana pool, before the patch I used manamune, but now ArchAngel staff.

Typically I get melki's first basic boots, upgrade to tear, then finish ninja tabi and then 2 sunfire, and thornmail/guardian/frozen armor(ap boost, huge armor, more regen, and cooldown reduction), or force of nature for my last 2 depending on enemy team makeup. Thornmail/force of nature usually, for a physical/magic mix team, thornmail/frozen for heavy physical, or force of nature/guardian for heavy magic groups.

Archangel boosts ur defense curl, lollerball, and ult damage and with offense mastery penetration and some runes you will double your kills, and have more regen, add in a good support and their life will be miserable

newties22 09-22-2010 11:54 AM

hmmm....

regrowth and philosopher.......

Im not sure about that....

I have a feeling it may be more inferior than doran shield.

regrowth's idea is to regen at lane....
but in a match-up or fight, having more HP, armour, is helpful in killing the enemy or making him retreat back.
If you rely on regen, that may make you lose the confrontation.

But I think regen is good for slight harassment and frequent resting / going back away from enemy's range.

I still think doran shield is better for laning but I may test this out.

MathMage 09-22-2010 06:47 PM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Armor runes and a rushed Heart of Gold are definitely synergistic with Rammus. I really find Magic Resist glyphs important for Rammus because magic is such a blind spot for him, but CDR is a great offensive option. And I just switched out my armor pen runes for magic pen this morning, we'll see how it goes.

AreYouReady2Die, some AP is certainly a good idea if your Rammus needs damage output, but as stated in the guide, I'm really ambivalent towards the idea of starting with Meki Pendant. Unless you're spamming Q to clear waves or threaten harassment, you really shouldn't run low on mana before your first shopping trip. And you really lose out on the health aspect. Moreover, I don't know if Archangel's Staff late is the best pick. At level 18, Rammus has 849 base mana (255 + 18*33). Archangel's means 1249 base mana. If you max your stacks (assuming Tear of the Goddess stacks carry over but count towards the limit, so it's reasonable to think you might hit the cap), that's 2250. So you get about 120 AP and...not much else. By contrast, Rylai's Crystal Scepter gives 80 AP right off the bat, as well as 500 health and the sweet slow effect. It's more effective for ganks, it's better for chasing and escaping, it's more useful in teamfights. And you aren't sacrificing your early-game survivability to get there. In fact, if you're having more issues with their health than their damage, I'd almost recommend getting Rylai's right after Boots 2, as well as maxing Powerball before DBC.

Also, according to the wiki, Strength of Spirit only regenerates for 0.3% of your max mana, not 3%. Rammus only has 255 mana to start, so you're getting a measly 0.765 hp/5 out of the deal. Even if it's actually per-second regeneration, it's still not worthwhile. You should check this against the numbers you actually get in-game, of course. But I find it unlikely that a mastery nets you >1000g worth of regen, which is what 40-50 hp/5 is worth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newties22 (Hozzászólás 3047278)
hmmm....

regrowth and philosopher.......

Im not sure about that....

I have a feeling it may be more inferior than doran shield.

regrowth's idea is to regen at lane....
but in a match-up or fight, having more HP, armour, is helpful in killing the enemy or making him retreat back.
If you rely on regen, that may make you lose the confrontation.

But I think regen is good for slight harassment and frequent resting / going back away from enemy's range.

I still think doran shield is better for laning but I may test this out.

True. I think they're probably appropriate for different styles of play. Regrowth lets me win a war of slow attrition in the lane; Doran's gives an immediate advantage for fights. Something to keep in mind depending on how you lane.

thegrapist27 09-22-2010 08:29 PM

Question: you mentioned Rylai's, if you use Tremors with it, does it make you a walking AoE slow? Or does only the first pulse of Tremors (when you activate it) slow enemies?