League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Losing Streak (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2576432)

Zeratoth 09-14-2012 06:01 PM

Losing Streak

I've been doing nothing but getting my ass kicked, hard, all day. Rank 26 player, only have runes for an AP mage build and not quite a complete set. I mostly play AP mid, and am trying to learn the new champ Syndra in that role. But I'm just missing with all my moves, getting killed by clear noobs, and overall failing far harder than can be excused by just getting used to the new champ. And frequently my teammates are unsympathetic jerks when I (justly) complain a bit about another invetiable lost game. It doesnt help that I've been playing half a year and I'm still not max rank.

I'd appreciate a high ranked player actually willing to discuss what I may be doing wrong. But after these games, I'm not sure there are any rank 30s who care.

Sereg Anfaug 09-14-2012 07:02 PM

Practice your skillshots in bot games - if you can't master Syndra's, it may not be worthwhile to use her.

That said, not being level 30 means you really don't have very much experience with the game. I have something like 400 wins, and I don't have much experience with the game yet. There are alot of skills that you'll develop over time.

As far as complaining during the game - don't do it. Especially when you're contributing to losing. Best thing you can do is admit you're making mistakes, as that makes it slightly harder for other players to yell at you, since they can see you're already aware of your errors. Don't blame anyone else - congratulate good and successful play, and otherwise keep your hands on QWER.

Good luck.

Zeratoth 09-14-2012 07:34 PM

I play ahri and Zyra fine. skillshots aren't the issue.

How on earth does 400 wins count as not much experience? Are you seriously saying that everything before rank 30 is just practice and that most players are rank 30? cause if I've been playing half a year and only have 79 wins, not even rank 30... I dont know. Its just looking seriously depressing.

Also, I dont blame. when I say complain I mean comments like "*Sigh* and now I'm 0/6. great." I'm well aware I'm making mistakes. I just dont know what mistakes I'm making. So I comment. Are you suggesting that my feeling like **** just isn't important? Cause it is. and the team should care.

Sereg Anfaug 09-14-2012 07:41 PM

That's correct. The vast majority of LoL players are level 30. We don't all play ranked, but we're certainly able to. Below level 30 is basically just the introduction to the game.

There are players who have 20 rune pages and 90 champions(and can play most of them effectively), all earned through IP from playing games. Once you hit level 30, you haven't finished - you've only just started.

I haven't played Syndra yet, and I haven't seen much of her, either. It's possible that her skillshots, or her entire strategy, requires a different type of playing skill then you're used to.

I'd recommend trying older mids that still see alot of play - Karthus, Cassiopeia, Morgana, Gragas, Anivia, Ryze, for example. It's also worthwhile to own and learn at least 2 champions for every role, so you're able to fill out a team comp, rather then fighting over one role(I'm not saying you do that, but I see it alot, even above level 30).

Lord Puppy Fury 09-14-2012 08:02 PM

Have no interest in her myself, but from what I've heard/seen Syndra has a very high skill cap. She may be one you're really going to need a lot of practice with.

Also, if you've been playing for a year and a half but you're not level 30 yet, that suggests you don't play very frequently. There's nothing wrong with that. Be aware, though, that this game isn't easy and practicing infrequently could be part of the problem. If you want to improve, you do need to play semi-regularly. To do well, you also have to have a bit of a passion for this game and spend some time studying guides and watching videos. If you can't make a commitment to the game but still enjoy it, then just take the pressure off yourself and play for fun.

DaystarFire 09-14-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Puppy Fury (Hozzászólás 29270946)
Have no interest in her myself, but from what I've heard/seen Syndra has a very high skill cap. She may be one you're really going to need a lot of practice with.

Also, if you've been playing for a year and a half but you're not level 30 yet, that suggests you don't play very frequently. There's nothing wrong with that. Be aware, though, that this game isn't easy and practicing infrequently could be part of the problem. If you want to improve, you do need to play semi-regularly. To do well, you also have to have a bit of a passion for this game and spend some time studying guides and watching videos. If you can't make a commitment to the game but still enjoy it, then just take the pressure off yourself and play for fun.

You misread him: he said "half a year" not a year and a half.

Sereg Anfaug 09-14-2012 08:28 PM

Still, 6 months is a long time to not reach level 30 - I think I made it in under a month.

So his point that the OP doesn't play very regularly is probably still valid.

Zeratoth 09-14-2012 09:13 PM

the problem is I only have a few hours a day where I can guarantee I wont be interupted, unless I've got time off (like this week).
and since this game has the retarded system of banning you from playing if real life comes up too many times, I can only get in like three games a day at best. I do study guides, I watch vids, I play every chance I get, and NORMALLY I do fairly well. If apparently slow (30 in under a month... *feels absolutely pathetic*)
today though.. i don't know. everything's gone wrong.

And about having champs for other roles, I own quite a few champs. its rune pages that are the problem. I dont feel confident playing pvp with a character without a decent runepage (my previous losing streak, with Riven, put me off that). so I'm kinda stuck with AP chars.

but if level 30 is really just the start... then I don't see how I'll ever be decent at this game if I've been working my ass off for half a year and haven't even hit the "real game" yet.

Sereg Anfaug 09-15-2012 08:34 AM

If you're doing what you need to do to ensure you won't be interrupted, that's ideal, even if it does force you to play less often. I will say that the system isn't retarded - you should never let real life come up during a game, to say nothing of having it come up so often you get banned.

For example, right now I have a roommate playing some bull**** Xbox game(**** that guy, seriously), so I cannot play ranked like I would like to, because I don't want to throw a game for four people who deserved to win because I have a second delay in reacting to the game. If you're dcing, or getting called away for whatever reason(ignore it, it can wait... I've had people stop midgame to take phonecalls... like really? ****ing call them back when you're done), definitely don't start a game, especially not PvP.

So you're doing the right thing there.

If you own alot of champions, it might be worth focusing your IP into runes and runepages. If you use RP(or have alot of extra IP, which I doubt), there's a great sale on runepages going on right now. Take advantage of it, get a few extra pages, and build them up. They don't have to be perfect - for a long time, I just had a very basic AD page and a very basic AP page. It didn't give me much versatility, but it did what I needed it to do and allowed me to play the vast majority of champions with an advantage.

Hope that helps.

jadelink 09-16-2012 09:12 AM

I would agree, lvl 30 is the begining. If you're a casual gamer (as it seems), my advice would be not to really try to get the hang of mages like syndra or oriana, as it will likely take you many months if you play 2-3 games a week.

Annie, ryze, karthus, lux, gragas, and many more mages would be a lot easier to get a reasonable skill level with.

I also really do recommend playing each and every other role a fair bit, preferably before lvl 30, runes or not. Yes, you will lose a few games, but you will always be a mediocre AP mid if you don't understand how the other characters see the game.

Thats not to say you dont specialize, a majority of players do specialize in one or two positions, but you become better at those when you understand the whole game from the other players perspective.
I could never play non-ranged characters till I was almost lvl 30, but I eventually learned, and after that so much more of the game became clearer.