League of Legends Community
1234511 ... 32

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Fan Art (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Firedancer Draven (Completed) (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2572708)

Spookypatrol 09-13-2012 06:50 PM

Firedancer Draven (Completed)

24 Attachment(s)
[(3/6/13) Gladiator Draven has been added to the PBE. Are those flaming axes I see? Gladiator Draven Model]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to General Discussion Board Topic ( Since the GD boards move so quickly, we need as many posters as possible to keep the topic visible and keep traffic flowing!
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2635335 )

---------

Alrighty, I'm startin' a new thread for the skin because I've finally finished the main art for it :) (Also, I kind of wanted to add a poll, heh.) I drew a 360 degree view of the skin idea (using his unpainted turnaround model as a reference, so the proportions are pretty accurate) along with the details for his axes and such. Enjoy~

Splash Art:

Edit: The new splash art is complete! That means the old splash is officially phased out~

Attachment 575591

Full size image: http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/4...vennewspla.jpg

360 Concept Sheet:

Attachment 583471

Concept Art:

Attachment 545370

Practice Sketch:

Attachment 569640

In-game Model Mock-up*

Attachment 550587

Whirling Death Model Mock-up*

Attachment 589815

Firedancer Animation Stillframes:

Abilities:

Spinning Axe [Q]: Attachment 539548 Stand Aside [E]: Attachment 539597 Whirling Death [R]: Attachment 538827

Emotes:

Laugh: Attachment 537026 Taunt: Attachment 538254 Dance:Attachment 535032 Joke:Attachment 535045

Recall:
Alternate: Attachment 539659 Standard:
Attachment 534999

Critical Hit:

Right: Attachment 537861 Left: Attachment 538004

Auto Attack:

Attachment 539612

Run:

Attachment 537025

Other Art:

Mugshot:
Attachment 538327

Classic/Firedancer Comparison

Attachment 548262

(I realize my handwriting is pretty small, so here is a larger version for those of you struggling with reading the notes)

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9...ssicdraven.jpg

-------------

Qs and As: (Note, anyone can ask a question, and if I deem it an important, and appropriate, one, I will be more than happy to answer it and post it here!

So, what inspired you to make Firedancer?

Well, for starters, Draven is my favorite champion. Naturally, I have done my share of research on him, and in that I learned that his dance was based on the Fire Dance. It was a pretty easy leap from there to decide on a Polynesian skin.

How did you come up with the outfit design?

I wanted to stay true to Draven's classic skin design elements without, obviously, making it overly-similar. With that, I slapped on a headband, which was conveniently enough a popular design element for fire dancer outfits, and gave him elaborate back and front sashes. Additionally, I wanted to keep his rings and spikes theme, so I added spikes to his belt and rings to hold the sashes. I didn't want to change his hair or his signature facial hair much, so I kept the basic idea (long hair, spiked up. Fu Manchu.) and added to it. (I added a beard and I slicked the hair back and shortened it slightly, as well as let his hair down instead of putting it on his shoulder how he has it in his classic art.) Draven also seems to like his jewelry, so I kept his earrings (only gave him two, as opposed to his classic three, but made them thicker to compensate.) and added a necklace so his chest wouldn't look so bare.

What about the body paint designs?

This was an interesting process. I wanted to keep a vague similarity to his classic skin body paint, which is why the majority of the paint is only on one side of his body. However, the designs of the body paint itself isn't entirely significant. If you look, his left side of his body paint is vaguely wave-shaped and the right side of his body has flame-shapes. His torso, however, is pretty much random, with vague claw or paw shaped prints. I did, however, make sure that I gave him plenty of paint around his eyes. Draven has some pretty awesome eyes, and the contrast between the pale grey-blue natural color of his eyes and darker face paint is not only an element of his classic art, but in my opinion a very important element.

How did you decide on the design for his axes?

I knew that he would have to have something pole-like in order to keep it consistent with the fire dancing theme. The difficult part, then, would be to make sure he still has axes. Even more importantly, those axes had to rotate on a circular handle, which made the design job an absolute nightmare. I finally settled on a poleaxe design with a circular handle, but if you notice, the handle isn't completely circular. The break in the handle where his wrist would fall would potentially be a bit awkward in game, but it was my intent to give the impression that he *has* to spin it manually, so the blades only need enough of a track to be able to swing outward and lock in place. I imagine Draven was supposed to spin his axes manually, anyway, and the fact that the blades spin on their own in game is just a convenience for animation.

As for the mechanism behind setting the axes on fire, the cloth wrappings on the blades are based on a Samoan fire knife.

How long have you been working on Firedancer?

I'm estimating it's been well over a month by now, between planning the skin and actually doing the art. I know just the art itself has definitely been a month off and on between all of the different concepts and sketches I've done. The actual design phase took a few days, and the planning stage was also another few days. The splash art itself took about two weeks off and on. The longest, most challenging part of the design phase was definitely figuring out the axes. I redesigned them a couple of times before finalizing a design I was pretty satisfied with, taking quite a few of the basic elements from Draven's classic axes and incorporating them into the overall aesthetics of the poleaxes. As mentioned, many of the design elements of the skin are inspired by Draven's classic design, such as the use of rings and spikes and an elaborate, unique belt-buckle, as well as the general color scheme.

If you have any more questions, please post them up and I'll be happy to answer them. :)

------------------------------

Finally, Special Thanks to the community for recommending an animation with him eating/breathing fire. I had at least three separate requests for it, and I integrated that into an alternative recall pose for the skin. So, once again, thanks!

-----------------------------

(Some info copied from my original topic)

Ability Details:

This skin would work phenomenally with particle effects. All of his abilities, with the exception of Blood Rush, would leave flaming trails (or tails in the case of the movement of his Spinning Axes), and his Spinning Axes would constantly keep the flame trails rolling, which I think would just look plain stellar in game. Even Blood Rush, however, would likely leave some sort of flame tail from the ignited axes to begin with.

Axe Mechanics:

I actually intended there to be some logic behind his axes (which are more like Poleaxes in this case) in the way I drew it in the art. This wouldn't exactly appear in game, but I wanted to clarify why the fire isn't entirely engulfing the axes. There is a nozzle at the end of the poles that hold the axes that shoots fire like a blowtorch and ignites fabric that is wrapped around the blades strategically.

-------

Also, as a disclaimer, I do give Riot free, full permission to use the ideas and designs posted here. I don't know if this will affect the potential integration of the skin into LoL, but I wanted to make it clear that I neither expect, nor seek, anything from Riot for the skin. I simply want to see the idea integrated into the game :)

-----

Final note to Riot if by any stretch of the imagination you do integrate this into LoL: Two favors. 1. Do not change Draven's eye color, and 2. do not remove his mustache. I'm sure a large chunk of the community agrees with this :)

Again, enjoy, and be sure to let me know what you think :) I'm really pushing for this skin of all the Draven skin ideas I've had, so I'm hoping the community feels the same way~ It would mean a lot to me if my favorite Champion got a skin inspired by my work, haha.

---------

Oh, and here's an additional gift for you Minecraft Players out there. I made myself a Firedancer Draven MC skin for the fun of it, so feel free to use it!

Attachment 545312

*I can't 3-D model, so the mock-up is, as you can easily tell, just a photoshop edit. Also, sorry for the pretty awful axes; they were a terror to draw.

Old Splash Art

Attachment 535862

Old 360 Concept Sheet:

Attachment 525617

My deviantART: http://dargonite.deviantart.com/ (It's in desperate need of updating... so I apologize for the lack of variety!)

Quasar Ken 09-13-2012 06:57 PM

wow this is really creative. good job :D

Spookypatrol 09-14-2012 06:43 AM

Thanks a bunch :D

Zepherus 09-14-2012 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 525893

Spookypatrol 09-14-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zepherus (Hozzászólás 29248692)

Yeah, Riot, take their money D:<

... <3

Seriously though, thanks a bunch to everyone : D

Hollymonster 09-14-2012 11:28 PM

This is really well done man, nice job!

Garlyle Wilds 09-14-2012 11:34 PM

I would buy the hell out of this.

Riot pls

Thornmaelstrom 09-14-2012 11:45 PM

Wow, Very naice. Even a good Q animation tie-in, which would be the chief hurdle of all future Draven skins.

Kouz 09-15-2012 12:22 AM

this needs to be made

Fell14043 09-15-2012 01:48 AM

That's probably the single most perfect concept for him. It fits him in literally every way.

You get the showmanship, the body art, the spinning/ juggling, fire.

Riot pls.