League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   General League Strategy Blog - In depth analysis of the game (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2562046)

AvariciousHippo 09-10-2012 09:36 AM

General League Strategy Blog - In depth analysis of the game

Howdy all,

After looking around a bit and not finding much concentrated discussion on the kinds of topics that I am interested in re: League of Legends, I started a blog to discuss these themes.

http://lol-confessional.blogspot.com/

I am not a high Elo player, but I am certainly no fool. The blog centers on general strategy and more abstract themes of League gameplay, rather than on discussion of particular items, builds, champions or patch notes. The posts are a lot longer than forum posts, and take a bit of reading to get through.

Check it out.

AvariciousHippo 09-10-2012 11:35 AM

A short excerpt from the recent post, Metrics of Success: Feeding

Quote:

In tight, competitive play, a game is often decided by much slimmer margins. Teams are highly skilled and coordinated, and will exploit any advantage to progress towards a win. Any team fight that ends in their favor will be consolidated upon for a Dragon or Baron kill, one or more towers, maybe an inhibitor or even the nexus. Final kill counts in competitive games are usually far lower, closer to 20 to 30 per team. In these games, a player that goes 0-8 represents a massive proportion of total deaths and kill-bounty gold payed out.

From these competitive games a more precise definition of feeding emerges: when a player's repeated deaths provide the opposition with a meaningful advantage that is capitalized upon.

AvariciousHippo 09-11-2012 11:54 PM

Receiving Ganks

An excerpt from the post on Receiving Ganks from your Jungler.

Quote:

Ganks are explosive and sudden--the best ones are, at least--and involve a number of variables. To maximize your success, minimize the number of variables. This means maintaining decent harass on the enemy champions, managing your lane's pushing phase, keeping abreast of the wards in your lane, and committing intelligently to a gank once it begins.

vortical42 09-12-2012 09:16 AM

Great Articles. Riot take note, someone needs to sticky this ASAP.

Hughes De Payens 09-12-2012 09:41 AM

Bookmarked. Looks like a good read. I will check it out later.

AvariciousHippo 09-13-2012 08:30 AM

Thanks for the kind comments. I've a couple of articles in the works and will post them once finished and edited.

My Pee Pee Loud 09-15-2012 08:07 AM

Prediction Skills for Becoming Dominant in Solo Lanes, Part I

herp derp.

AvariciousHippo 09-15-2012 08:58 AM

An excerpt from an article on winning Solo Mid lanes and the prediction skills needed.

Quote:

From the moment you get into lane, you should be trying to understand your enemy's plans. The strategy outlined above--turning farming into damage to observe your opponent's reaction--can be one of your first sounding methods to learn about your enemy. There are hundreds of thousands of League players, and each person plays differently. Champions will form their play to a point, but it is the player that you are going to need to defeat.

AvariciousHippo 09-17-2012 08:52 AM

An excerpt from the continuation of my discussion on Prediction Skills for the Mid Lane (Part II):

Quote:

While [knowing your opponent's gameplan and dodging their skillshots] seems like very obvious advice at first, there is quite a bit more going on here. A constant in all strategy is to choose the time and place of your engagement while refusing your opponent that luxury. If at all possible, do not fight your opponent when and where they want to. Draw them into unfavorable ground (over-extended and/or around your creeps) and a time of your choosing (just as you reach level 6 and/or when your jungler is ready for a gank) while dictating the tempo of the fight (keeping to your plan while knowing and disrupting theirs).

AvariciousHippo 09-19-2012 08:35 AM

An excerpt from a post on Teamwork & Player Conduct:

Quote:

...For as many personalities (a generous term) as one finds playing League of Legends, one finds as many skill levels. Some players have been in MOBA gaming since the likes of Defense of the Ancients, some at extremely high levels of play now or previously, others are just starting out. While League offers a leveling system, but once a player reaches level 30, they are cast into the Elo pool, a totally fresh ranking system to sink or swim. Player level has little do with skill, and Elo can indicate a player's skill, but neither of these measures manners.

Where the bad behavior crosses over into an area of strategic or tactical concern is when a player's conduct--in chat or in the game itself--negatively impacts the game at large.