League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Champ/Skin Concepts (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   CCF Council - Official Thread (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2520162)

Poeta Somnium 08-27-2012 05:58 PM

CCF Council - Official Thread

*NOTICE: Please take a few minutes to fill out the following surveys. These will provide insight not only in what you want to see from this forum in the future, but also what you want to see from us as a Council! =D

Rate Your Council!
What Do You Want to See More Of?

Your Council members are;

- Poet Ultima (Retired)
- iZianni
- Gen Mad Hatter
- FlamesofTerror
- Jaykoboy
- Wulffe
- Bergmeister
- Havoc202
- Moby the White
- Gundenspand (Inactive)
- TheDeathstalker (Inactive)

Our Pledge to You

Our goal, put simply, is to make this forum a better place. True, we aren’t Riot, we don’t get paid for this, but we all share a passion and a knowledge for champcrafting and hope to share that with all of you and help this forum grow.

While we will be working to put together community activities and contests, our primary modality is to teach and tutor. If you feel that you're stuck, you need advice, you've hit a wall, come talk to us. We'll help in any way we can. We will also be hosting seperate AMA's based on our various strengths in champ design (i.e. stats/balance, lore/character, abilities/mechanics) to help answer more particular design questions. Please do not post review requests in this thread! We have a seperate thread for organizing reviewrequests here.

While this thread will serve primarily as a place for Council members to gather and communicate with eachother, it will also serve as a conduit between the Council and the Community. I will try to update this as often as I can as the Council moves forward to ensure that everyone stays in the loop. Feel free to provide any suggestions or ask us any questions; improvement is fostered by the individual voicing his or her thoughts to the whole.

Regarding Trolls:

Many of us have found this forum as a sort of haven away from General Discussion; a dystopian cesspool of trolls, rage, and malcontent. (It isn't a positive forum, to put it nicely.) Our vision for the Player Concepts forum is to rise above such behaviors and ensure that this forum remains a productive and constructive place for Summoners to ply their craft, to help others grow, and to grow themselves.

Unfortunately establishing such an altruistic society on the Internet is.... difficult, to say the least. Trolls do wander in to our little Utopia from time to time. But what can we do about it?

While we can't change the behaviors of others on the Internet, we can control our own. We as a Council promote a zero-tolerance policy against trolls and abusers. If we all can adopt this mindset, trolls will find no fodder here and take their obnoxious behavior elsewhere.

Remember; we have no control over the behaviors of others. You cannot reason with trolls. Diplomacy and logic are in their eyes only resources they can warp and manipulate into ammunition for their own purposes. They cannot be disarmed. Frustrating others is their sole purpose; the best thing you can do is take away that purpose.

But you do have control over your own behavior. So, just don't respond to them. Downvote and move on. Trolls thrive on attention, be it good or bad. Make no effort to chastize them or point out flaws in their statements because they simply don't care. Don't acknowledge them, don't give them the satisfaction. They are petty and have nothing to offer here.

Contests and Activities

If you are hosting a contest or activity and would like to help spread the word, let us know and have it promoted here!

Monthly Champion Creation Contest: The MCCC is a long-standing forum tradition, and we encourage one and all to take part! January's contest is open as of 01-04-2013! Contact ObscureClockwork for further details.

Guides and Resources:

Here is a quick rundown of valuable guides and collections from throughout the forum. We strongly encourage Summoners of all experience levels to utilize these wonderful tools!

Council Review Thread

A re-link of our review thread. This is where you can post your concept for us to review. Please make sure to follow the guidelines listed there.

Champion Concepts Compilation Thread

A list of concepts contatined in the forum. Great for finding a concept to review before requesting your own review, or just for browsing.

katsuni’s Champion Creation Tips Vol. 3

If you want to hone a basic concept to perfection or just immerse yourself in the deepest depths of champcrafting theory and philosophy, this is for you. (The Player Concepts Council is not responsible for any minds blown upon the reading of this guide.)

Wulffe's Building a Better Champion for Dummies

Champcrafting made easy. Think of this as a trusty step-by-step checklist as you design your concept. The only dummies are the ones who don't read it!

Alenena’s Numbers Guide

A powerful yet easy-to-understand outline of base stats, scaling, and even crowd control values! Not only great for Champcrafters who are just starting out, this guide remains a tried-and-true reference point no matter your experience level.

DarkPercy's guide to champions base stats!

A slightly more in-depth numerical guide of base stats and scaling, this guide also covers the logic behind why these values are balanced. Very insightful.

ZIleas’s list of antipatterns

Huge monster post on the inner-working of game design and balance by Riot’s own Design Director Zileas. Click the link, be enlightened. This stuff is invaluable.

Bliztron’s Role Guide

This guide is great for understanding the ins-and-outs of what makes each role/class tick and guidelines to follow for designing a champion of any specific role. Great for deciding what direction you want your design to go.

Lore Tips

Councilman Moby the White has put together a handy guide filled with strategies that can help you improve your lore (and prose in general) no matter your present skill level. Be you a novice ink-slinger or exalted master wordsmith, there is wisdom to be found within.

Jaykoboy’s Review Guide

Guidelines for writing reviews on another Summoner’s concept. Writing great reviews is what keeps this forum thriving and growing; we can’t support this thread enough. We have also included a more concise guide to writing reviews below, but Jaykoboy provides a bit more depth.

AMA Topics:

Members of the Council are now hosting Q&A sessions on various aspects of design. You've got questions? We've got answers!

Lorecrafting - Moby the White
Ability Synergy - BergMeister
Character Development/Design - Poet Ultima

Balance Sources:

LoLWiki

A great tool for comparing/contrasting stats of existing champions to your own. You can also use the champion links to find in-depth stats on that champion’s abilities, or use the links for the stat categories themselves to learn more about how certain stats like movement speed or health regeneration operate in the game on a principle design/mechanic level.

Art Sources

DeviantArt

Artists from across the world upload their work to share. Great stuff in here. Utilize the filters on the left side of the site to find a piece of work in a medium of your choice. Some works may contain adult content.

Google Image Search

Another good resource for tracking down concept art. Please note however that some pictures may lead to unsafe sites or contain adult content. I typically recommend DevianArt as a safer if somewhat more time-intensive resource, but Google Images can help you find general conceptual art quickly if you have faith in your Internet security provider.

Other Resources:

Some general broad-spectrum inspiration sources for you're reading pleasure!

List of Weapons

List of Character Archtypes

History of the Champion Concepts Forum

Champion Creation Template:

*This template will be undergoing revision in the near future.

This is a simple format you can use as a guide while creating your champions to organize your ideas and ensure that you don't omit any crucial information. Note that it's the information that's important, not necessarily the order in which it is presented; feel free to mix up this format to suit your own personal style. This isn't by any means set in stone, just a good template in which you can organize your ideas.

Quote:

Champion Conceptualization Example Format

Key:

- "Core" Information is information required to convey a champion clearly. Without it, the reader has an incomplete picture of what your champion is like.

- "Optional" content isn't necessary, it just makes for a more interesting read and gives your concept depth and character. Remember that you can always include this later on if you want.

{Champion Name} - {Champion Title} Core.

{Overview} Core.

-Gender (Male/Female/Other)
-Race (Human/Yordle/Other)
-Origin (Where they came from)
-Alliance (Good/Evil/Unknown)
-Class: (AP Caster, AD Carry, etc.)
-Subclass: (Same as above.)
-Weapon: (Type/description)
-Attack Type: (Melee/Ranged)
-Energy Source: (Mana/Fury/other)

Include here a very brief (2-3 sentence) snippet concerning what this champion is all about in terms thematically and mechanically. This is where you can organize your TL;DR and draw the reader in. (Example: “Arthur is a tanky AD bruiser who uses his sword and shield to excel in 1v1 trades. His toggle ability “Shield” is unique in that it allows him to block a large portion of incoming damage while sacrificing movement speed and attack power.”

{Abilities} Core.

Passive (Name): Description of ability.

Q (Name): Description of ability.

-Type (Single target/skillshot/Aura/etc.)
-Buff/Debuff Type (if applicable)
-Buff/Debuff Value (If applicable.)
-Duration (If applicable)
-Range/Radius/AoE
-Cost
-Cooldown
-Target Type (Ally, Enemy, Minion hit, etc.)
-Any special notes concerning ability synergy or conditional effects.

Repeat format for W, E, and R.

{Base Stats} Core.

For those not comfortable with detailed numeric work, using simple terms such as Very Low, Low, Medium, High, Very High would be acceptable. You can similarly make a direct comparison to an existing champion (e.g. for a tank's health stats you could simply say "comparable to Singed.") But plotting out specific stats is something that we encourage once you feel comfortable.

-Base Health (+/level)
-Base Resource (+/level)
-Base Health Regen (+/level)
-Base Resource Regen (+/level)
-Base Attack Damage (+/level)
-Base Attack Speed (+/level)
-Attack Range (Or simply ranged/melee for beginners.)
-Base Armor (+/level)
-Magic Resistance (+/level)
-Movement Speed

{Appearance} Core.

-Height
-Physical Build (Brawny, skinny, fat, ball of void energy, etc.)
-Hair style and color (If applicable)
-Eye color
-Weapons
-Attire
-Other: (General notes about distinguishing features such as facial hair, extra limbs, pets, etc.)

The list format could of course be substituted by actual concept art, if available.

(Secondary Skins) Optional.

Brief details as to how this skin differs from the basic appearance. Again, could be substituted or supplement by actual concept art.

{Lore} Core.

300-500 words. Should include the basic plot points of where the character originated from, the source of their powers, and the inciting incident that drove them to join the League.

{Dialogue} Core.

-Champion Selection
-Movement Quotes
-Attacking Quotes
-Q Use
-W Use
-E Use
-R Use
-Taunts
-Jokes
-Recall
-Champion Interactions (Optional)

{Particle Effects} Optional.
{Recommended Items} Optional.
{Gameplay} Optional.
{Additional Notes/Content} Optional.
Tips on Writing Constructive Reviews

This forum thrives on reviews; reviews are instrumental in fostering progress. Providing reviews not only helps the Summoner you are reviewing, but you would be suprised at what you can learn in the course of conducting a review.

However, a suprising number of people are unsure how to go about writing productive reviews. The common theme seems to be "nice champ, now review mine." Nothing is gained from this, no one benefits. One of the things the Council has been discussing a lot internally is what makes a good review, and what makes a bad review.

Some key points:

- Tone: This is paramount. Think carefully about how you phrase things; do not condescend, do not mock. Yes, an ability that deals 5,000 true damage in an 1100 unit AoE is.... a bit much. But there is a civil way in which you can word your review to advise the summoner that their numbers may be off. If a summoner makes such a major oversight, it could simply be that numbers are not their strength; provide examples to existing champions with similar abilities so that the Summoner may have a reference point.

- Neutrality: The purpose of a review is to help a fellow Summoner's idea grow, not to force your opinion upon them. If you provide a suggestion for improvement and it is denied, do not take offense or try to press the issue; in the end it is the Summoner's choice to accept the help they are offered.

- Coverage: No worries! You don't need to write an essay. =P All you need to do is touch on the basic points, outlined in the format below.

Quote:

Overall Theme: Does this character make sense? Is this character relevant to the League of Legends World? Do the abilities function well with who the character is?

Ability Reviews: You don't have to be a number whiz to review abilities; do these abilities have a sense of synergy as an overall kit? Do they function with the intended role? Crucial: Are they simple enough? Overly complex mechanics can be the downfall of an idea. How can a complex ability be streamlined?

If you are more comfortable with numbers, feel free to offer balance advice. It is oftentimes helpful to explain why a stat is under or over-powered; a simple way to do this is to refer to an existing champion; "X champion has a similar ability, and it does Y. You can add/subtract Z to this ability to make it more balanced."

Lore: Look for spelling/grammer/syntax errors where you can, as well as point out any inconsistancies in backstory. Good lore should answer the following questions; "Where did this champion come from?" "Where do their powers/skills come from?" "Why are they joining the League?"

Closing: Sum up and clarify your review, state the strongest and weakest points of the concept, encourage the Summoner to continue investing effort into their idea.
Once again, this is just the format that we feel is most effective, but if you have a method that you feel works better we encourage you to go with it! The last thing we want are a bunch of carbon-copy reviews without any personality; give a little bit of yourself in every review you do. =)

@Council Members

{This section is just for Council members to be on the same page in terms of when our next meeting is and what we will be discussing.... and underhanded plots to overthrow Morello. Shh!}

***Next Council Meeting: Sunday December 9 @ 6:00 pm (Central Standard Time)***

In this meeting we will discuss:

- AMA Threads

- New Contests

- Infiltrate Riot Games Inc. and overthrow Morello (if we have time.)

FelixKam 08-27-2012 06:29 PM

Well, if you guys ever need a free-lancer I'll help.

@Bigg, PSS is kinda dead I think..... :(

Havoc202 08-27-2012 06:34 PM

@ The Community

We did this because we had your intrest in mind, Knowing some of you dont really know us, (well should I say some of us who dont offer services), We are here to help. It was one of our main goals, to help the community with some working of issues or maybe getting some artist to draw a sketch of your champion. I hope with the months to come we can be the help that can bring some life into this forum. Also, Dont be Afraid to ask questions. I know it was said alot in school but we like to see what might be something that is confusing and that we can clairfy. Like Poet said, We arent Riot, We dont get to sticky threads, Get Cool Avatars or talk to those amazing people. But we thought it was time to the forum to a direction where Champion Designing was done for fun. I will admit we all have those asperations to get our champ into the league, who doesn't (dont answer that, It was a rhetorical question)? We are hear for yall, While we may not be able to talk to Riot, We hope we can be the best subsitute.

With High Regards
Havoc202

Havoc202 08-27-2012 06:36 PM

Felix, I believe Poet said we are taking Volunteers. No strings really tied. So if you want talk to Poet in game. I am sure he will have a solution for you. So that way you can feel more involved!

:)

Poeta Somnium 08-27-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Havoc202 (Hozzászólás 28713505)
Felix, I believe Poet said we are taking Volunteers. No strings really tied. So if you want talk to Poet in game. I am sure he will have a solution for you. So that way you can feel more involved!

:)

Or you could just read Poet's post where he was like "Yo Felix! Honorary member, k? K! Friend request sent, k? K!!!!"

But where oh where could one find such a post....?

(Hint: it's this one.)

:D

Wulffe 08-27-2012 07:24 PM

"NARF! What are we doing tonight, Brain?
The same thing we do every night, Pinky.
Wazat, Brain?
Try to take over the world!"

Sorry, had to do it. The last line brought out every snippit of Pniky and the Brain from the Animaniacs. Anywho, moving on.

As I've said before and will probably say again, I'm greatly looking forward to this.

Havoc202 08-27-2012 08:01 PM

Bump

Lyria Eternal 08-27-2012 10:23 PM

Agreed.

Poeta Somnium 08-27-2012 11:51 PM

Ack! The only people that have posted thus far have been Council members!

Well, I guess I'll call it a night. Need to sleep sometime. This isn't a flash in the pan, in case you guys are wondering; I think I speak for my fellow members when I say that we are all really excited about this and look forward to helping the community.

But you need to acknowledge our presence and ask for help for us to give it to you! o_O

We'll be back in the morning. Need help with something? Ask! Want a review? Ask! Want to know what the combined awesome level of your Council members is? ASK! (It's over 9000.)

We're here to help the community improve. What needs improvement? Talk to us, pretty please.

Lyria Eternal 08-28-2012 12:24 AM

Agenda Nomination:

Quote:

I would ask for a chance to bring up an interesting point to the other members that could, possibly, help organize this forum a bit more. And, bring people who are really interested in the continuation of this plan. I would like for the other members to consider this request and thought thoroughly before we begin our meeting on Friday. I would also ask that no comments be posted here, and only voiced during our meeting.

The idea stands to face these problems that face us as the new council. The unorganized layout of the forum, the lack of universal knowledge of leaders, and moderation. For those of you who are able to quickly analyze the thought patterns of others due to context clues. I can assume you know were I am going with this. For those of you who can't; I would like you all to think on the idea of a seperate forum, run by us, that would allow us to organize things more effectively. To clarify a few points in consideration; We would ask Riot (Ames most likely) to add this website link to the sticky posts. If this does not work we would have to create a thread dealing with information of the site, and do one of two things (or both). One, we could keep it near the top of page 1 at all times with bumps. Two, we ensure that newer posts have a response by at least 1 member of the council with the link to the site. Using the Riot sticky would be by far the easiest, but not everyone reads it (Unless he stickies Wuffle's Champion List then we have a more direct route).

Again I am only presenting this as a potential solution to a large number of problems that face these forums. I would appreciate it if no comments were posted against or for this idea. Such comments can be made at the meeting.
------------------------------------------------

Community of Creators
Quote:

I would also like to hear comments and requests from the community about how we, your council, can proceed with the improvement of this forum you call home. Each one of us on this council joined it to enable you, the artists, to show your work to others, and gain constuctive feedback on it. However, it is up to you, the community, to take a step forward as well. We cannot help those who do not ask for it, and it is impossible to know the wishes of the people you represent if they do not speak to you.

It is my heartfelt hope that one day this forum will be a jewel among the rest. A place of respectable Summoners who lend a helping hand to those in need, and work towards the betterment of this game we call League of Legends.

Your's in fellowship,

Flames of Terror