League of Legends Community
12345 ... 8

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Does anybody else feel that Syndra's lore is boring? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2510543)

Rustmaker 08-24-2012 02:51 PM

Does anybody else feel that Syndra's lore is boring?

I know it's probably not a good idea to comment on the lore of champion that hasn't been released yet, but since it's out there...yeah, I don't think the lore is particularly interesting. Here's the link to the LoL wiki which has her lore:

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...ign/Background

I mean her lore basically feels redundant - a slightly different version of Xerath's lore. At least Xerath benefited from having a League Judgment that makes him somewhat more sympathetic and fleshed out, Syndra is just made out to be power-mad.

Perhaps, people can convince me otherwise but I'm just not sold on her lore (although, her gameplay seems interesting).

(Oh and PS - I'm not particularly fond of the Nicol Bolas headpiece either).

Renekton Bot 08-24-2012 03:27 PM

You're not alone. It's probably my least favorite out of any champion's lore, even Nasus'. Syndra's lore is sterile and unexciting and makes her seem completely one-dimensional.

She's strong. She wants to be stronger. Okay, that's kind of boring but like, don't we all?

Then she kills her mentor for limiting her strength. This is supposed to be a terrible thing, only we don't know who this dude was and have no reason to care. All his death does is tell us that Syndra is reckless and vengeful.

So now she wants to kill all of Ionia's leaders.

Why?

Because she's reckless and vengeful. Not because they wronged her or anything, she's going to kill them just because.

The problem is that they want to make her fearsome and evil, and while I am a big fan of evil chicks and stuff... There's no real reason to be worried about Syndra. All she wants to do is kill a couple of old men. Then she will probably run off somewhere on her own and just keep increasing her own power until she dies or explodes or something. She has no objective outside of making herself stronger. She doesn't want to conquer anything, destroy anything, do anything and that means she probably has no social ties with anyone anywhere.

She exists in a bubble all her own and nobody has any reason to care that she's even there.

Plus, her backstory precludes any desire she might have to join the League of Legends. An ultra-powerful spellcaster who wants nothing more than her freedom... So she willingly submits to the League and promises to limit herself so that she can be on equal terms with people she doesn't know and doesn't care about, who don't care about her either.

Her entire purpose from now on will be to exist in the mid lane and throw **** at Ryze.

moogle890 08-24-2012 03:30 PM

It does seem rather dull. I was expecting her to be a Queen from some dark demension.

Rustmaker 08-24-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renekton Bot (Hozzászólás 28611179)
You're not alone. It's probably my least favorite out of any champion's lore, even Nasus'. Syndra's lore is sterile and unexciting and makes her seem completely one-dimensional.

She's strong. She wants to be stronger. Okay, that's kind of boring but like, don't we all?

Then she kills her mentor for limiting her strength. This is supposed to be a terrible thing, only we don't know who this dude was and have no reason to care. All his death does is tell us that Syndra is reckless and vengeful.

So now she wants to kill all of Ionia's leaders.

Why?

Because she's reckless and vengeful. Not because they wronged her or anything, she's going to kill them just because.

The problem is that they want to make her fearsome and evil, and while I am a big fan of evil chicks and stuff... There's no real reason to be worried about Syndra. All she wants to do is kill a couple of old men. Then she will probably run off somewhere on her own and just keep increasing her own power until she dies or explodes or something. She has no objective outside of making herself stronger. She doesn't want to conquer anything, destroy anything, do anything and that means she probably has no social ties with anyone anywhere.

She exists in a bubble all her own and nobody has any reason to care that she's even there.

Plus, her backstory precludes any desire she might have to join the League of Legends. An ultra-powerful spellcaster who wants nothing more than her freedom... So she willingly submits to the League and promises to limit herself so that she can be on equal terms with people she doesn't know and doesn't care about, who don't care about her either.

Her entire purpose from now on will be to exist in the mid lane and throw **** at Ryze.

I agree, power without purpose is wasted. Perhaps that would be an actually legitimate motivation that they could establish for Syndra: "Having gained all her power, she now finds herself without purpose; until she turned to the League..." or something like that.

Unfortunately, the lore does a poor job of covering that or making her relatable in any sense. Like you said, she pretty much seems content just chilling in her floating castle and zapping anyone who tries to insult her on the ground below (or sphere-ing them: I guess). Seriously, comparing this lore to Xerath's lore is like comparing Windows Vista to Windows XP, it might have come out later but it somehow manages to be worse.

PS: I love your work Renekton Bot! Will you consider doing a better Syndra lore if they don't address it before her release?

EpicFrogNinja 08-24-2012 04:20 PM

I agree, the lore is kinda flat. She seems more like a flat character than a round one, and a static character rather than a dynamic one.

Renekton Bot 08-24-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustmaker (Hozzászólás 28612077)
I agree, power without purpose is wasted. Perhaps that would be an actually legitimate motivation that they could establish for Syndra: "Having gained all her power, she now finds herself without purpose; until she turned to the League..." or something like that.

Unfortunately, the lore does a poor job of covering that or making her relatable in any sense. Like you said, she pretty much seems content just chilling in her floating castle and zapping anyone who tries to insult her on the ground below (or sphere-ing them: I guess). Seriously, comparing this lore to Xerath's lore is like comparing Windows Vista to Windows XP, it might have come out later but it somehow manages to be worse.

I think they just picked theme that doesn't fit at all within the concept of the League. The League was created as a method of solving political disputes in a way that wouldn't result in millions of deaths and the destruction of the world/fabric of reality from the rampant abuse of magic.

At some point it also became a handy way of keeping extremely dangerous beings contained in a secure location where they can have all their fun without endangering the non-combatants of Valoran.

Syndra doesn't fit in either of these categories. She has no ties to Ionia and no concern for the country or its residents. She is not aggressive. So far she has reacted only when provoked, and from what we can tell by her lore she intends to keep it that way. She has no motivation to fight in the League.

The only way for her to end up in the League of Legends is by being kidnapped and forced to fight against her will. Given what happened to the last person who tried to control her, I don't think this would be the wisest decision to make.

As it stands, Syndra's lore isn't appropriate for its setting and would make a really boring story on its own merits anyway. What Syndra needs is:

1) A reason to join the League. She's powerful. Make her aggressive. Make her a threat that needs to be contained. Make her a patriot maybe, someone with uncontrollable power that wants to throw all of Noxus into space for what they've done and needs to be confined to the League so she doesn't end up throwing everyone else into space, too. Make her vengeful, maybe. It's overdone but it's still a better reason than just showing up.

2) A reason for us to care at all that she exists.

She killed an old man.

I don't give a ****.

Make us hate her. Have her kill someone we like. Have her do something awful. Make us love to hate her. Or, make her sympathetic. Make her kill someone we like because she can't control her own power. Make her a ticking timebomb that the League needs to keep in captivity for her own good as well as the good of the world. Make her Jean Mother****ing Grey. Make her Prince Mother****ing Joffrey, the little ****head.

Actually, let's think about him, as much as it pains us.

We don't hate Prince Joffrey because he beheaded "a prominent traitor."

We hate him because he routinely does awful things to the characters we've come to know and love. He's a conniving little **** and it only took Mr. Martin a couple of sentences to make him the most reviled character in an entire series (So far; I'm not in too deep).

Syndra has none of that. She's not sympathetic because she comes off as an annoying spoiled child, and we can't hate her because she killed exactly one person and is now in the process of leaving everyone alone while she sits by herself in her castle in the sky.

...Well. That sure was a lot of words about a video game character.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustmaker (Hozzászólás 28612077)
PS: I love your work Renekton Bot! Will you consider doing a better Syndra lore if they don't address it before her release?

Aww, you <3

She'll probably get a judgment, 'cause that's just what I do.

Mondreus 08-24-2012 06:15 PM

I like the floating fortress thing. But the first part is meh :(

Renekton Bot 08-24-2012 06:29 PM

That's the other issue.

She's so underwhelming that she makes having her own flying castle seem uncool.

That is just criminal.

Rustmaker 08-24-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondreus (Hozzászólás 28616807)
I like the floating fortress thing. But the first part is meh :(

Although, it would be cool if the fortress was somehow incorporated into a new LoL map like Twisted Treeline for Maokai and Crystal Scar for Skarner.

A man can dream...

Renekton Bot 08-24-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustmaker (Hozzászólás 28617890)
Although, it would be cool if the fortress was somehow incorporated into a new LoL map like Twisted Treeline for Maokai and Crystal Scar for Skarner.

A man can dream...

Actually, you know what would be kinda cool?

They make her fortress a new PvE map where it's X amount of players versus NPC Syndra. The whole thing is like a big ol' boss encounter where you're a strike team from the Institute trying to bring her in to keep her power from going out of control and destroying everything.

Fighting her involves dodging the stuff she throws at you, protecting your allies from adds of some kind, and doing puzzle-sequence-stuff that eventually leads to her containment.

Once she's put under control, she comes to her senses and joins the League as a way of thanking them from saving her and everyone else.

Then you can play as her! Or like, you unlock the ability to unlock her, or something.

Okay wow you know what I think I'm just gonna go outside for a little while.