League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   WCG 2010 (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   WCG wrapup by Rinoa (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=247937)

Rinoa 09-13-2010 09:18 PM

WCG wrapup by Rinoa

12 Attachment(s)
Rinoa blogs on WCG USA National Final

In less than 48 hours of returning from Universal Studios, I already have a sense of nostalgia for the WCG USA Finals. Over the past 3 days, I’ve had the pleasure of attending the WCG USA National Final along with Matt Marcou, Phreak, the top 2 North American LoL teams --- CLG and Epik (HawkshotGG). I was also pleasantly surprised to be joined by dozens of League of Legends fans, who showed up to the venue to cheer on the teams. If I had to sum up this weekend in one word, I would say EPIC, but there are definitely a lot of things to highlight.

On Friday evening I drove up to the venue with Phreak (we jammed out to some epic music in his car like Celdweller :D ) where we waited for the League of Legend players to scatter in. Matt Marcou braved LA traffic to pick up every player from the airport and brought them to the hotel (what a sweetheart!) It's always nice putting a face to a name when you first meet someone in person after knowing them online; even though it's something I'm far more than used to by now. It's interesting how everyone was quiet in the beginning only to end with non-stop laughter, smiles and chatter.

The day before the finals we helped the players setup their accounts with champions and runes to make sure they were ready for the big moment. I never expected anyone to put the effort in using each rune … that is until I met Dan Dinh. After setup I joined half the players for dinner at Buca di Beppo (family style Italian food.) Elementz kept whining about not "feeling" Italian food, until he nomnom'd half the calamari and kept exclaiming "this is soooo good!" The highlight of chill time at night was probably when Kobe24 walked into the room, everyone was waiting in anticipation to see what he looked like (he’s not as tan as you might think).

Saturday --- game day! Before the League of Legends final we were all able to walk around the venue and check out some of the other matches from Starcraft, Warcraft 3 and Counter-Strike. League of Legends was the final stage match of the day and rightfully so because it was obvious they saved the best for the last! The audience grew larger as CLG and Epik made their way onto the stage. More Rioters showed up like Veigar, Jeff Jew, Andy Ho, Statikk and a few others to show support and watch the match.

Let me just say that Epik Gaming put on a great show. I was blown away at their teamwork and execution in game one. Game one was certainly an upset, as most of you know CLG only needed to win one game to take the title because of their 1-0 advantage from the upper bracket. Xcessiv's sunfire cape garen was horrifying for the audience; I can only imagine how CLG felt. With his high dps and tank capabilities along with getting first blood/good early farm there wasn't much CLG could do to stop him. Although Morgana has been considered the highest valued support champion for a while now, Grafic's Janna gave that theory an argument with his excellent support play. Despite some spot-on arrows from Bigfatjiji's ashe and amazing ultimates from Kobe24's amumu, CLG just couldn't make a comeback and eventually called it "GG" to Epik.

Game two was one of the most suspenseful eSports matches I have ever observed. I was literally on the edge of my seat, biting my nails and felt my heart racing. There were so many times I tried to claim a clear cut winner, but I was always proven wrong. You could see on the players’ faces and their actions in game, that every single person was holding on to their very last strain of energy to win that match. Between all the team fights, dragons, barons, pushing and kiting, I think it's safe to say that CLG and Epik could not have put on a better show for the eSports and League of Legends communities!

After such an intense match everyone was ready to unwind for a night of fun. WCG and Samsung arranged a player party at Jillian's in Universal Studios. They provided everyone with food and entertainment (bowling!) I loved how we had our own League of Legends corner in the back where we all got together and hung out until the party ended.

The player party was over at 11 but we decided to continue the shenanigans outside. Let’s just say that the closest thing to a pool for Elementz, Dan Dinh and Salcepulse was the Universal Studios fountain! Goofy photo shoots with everyone followed shortly after and then we decided to call it a night, Saturday was a tiring day for everyone, but I wish it had lasted longer.

Sunday was just the WCG closing ceremonies where they presented the winners of all games and then who will represent team USA. League of Legends was first on the stage. The announcer made it a point to note the impressive number of viewers League of Legends brought to the stream (close to 20,000) and it felt great watching Epik and CLG walk onto the stage. WCG and Samsung presented the teams with large checks, samsung SSD cards and team jackets.

Alas, the event came to an end. It was a pleasure spending time with CLG and Epik. Both teams played amazingly but I'd like to say congratulations to CLG for taking the title, I can't wait to see you guys again in a few weeks at the WCG Grand Finals! I really enjoyed meeting everyone and I hope you keep in touch :)

***To CLG and Epik, if you read this, each of you post your favorite memory of the weekend!

Here are some pictures of the event that I took as well as some from the official WCG photo stream.

Orcasm 09-13-2010 09:24 PM

Big check..

And I felt the same way. At the beginning I kept saying, "Yeah Epik's gonna win." Then slowly my expectations started going down the drain. Then up. Then down :(

Taenshi 09-13-2010 09:25 PM

Needs more Rinoa pictures

Lehran Fye 09-13-2010 09:27 PM

Awesome

Snyper945 09-13-2010 09:28 PM

who is who in the line-ups?
Also Phreak seemed rly nervous that day and that picture of him is rly funny... haha gotta love him

T Paine 09-13-2010 09:29 PM

Sweet

cant wait for moar tournies!!

Rinoa 09-13-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snyper945 (Hozzászólás 2902794)
who is who in the line-ups?

Picture #3 is team epik, from left to right its Araragi, Grafic, Salcepulse, Dan Dinh, Xcessiv

Picture #8 is CLG with Matt Marcou, from left to right its Chauster, HotshotGG, Matt Marcou, Kobe24, bigfatjiji and Elementz on the bottom

Cabtn 09-13-2010 09:30 PM

Twas nice meeting you guys there! Sweet pics btw :D

newsca 09-13-2010 09:31 PM

Nice pics ! 2 amazing games, although i thought both games were blown by dragging the game too long and giving the other team a chance to win.

Man Dinh 09-13-2010 09:32 PM

Favorite Memories,

1. Samsung Girl was a hottie
2. Throwing up by the pool
3. Waking up half naked in someone else's bed, stealing a t-shirt and running down to the lobby to get a duplicate key to get back back to my room.