League of Legends Community
12345 ... 6

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Fan Fiction (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   True Purpose (a Blitzcrank Short Story) (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2457737)

Trolosaurus 08-09-2012 08:17 PM

True Purpose (a Blitzcrank Short Story)

(Hello all. This is my first shot at a fanfic. Lemme know what you think)

The planet was dead. It had been so for a very long time. The stars had gone out, the dirt had turned to rock, which had in turn crumbled to dust. Because there was no wind, the planet simply turned into a pile of dust. The sun which had given life to the system had long turned cold and dead. The universe was dead, and nothing remained. Yet something still stirred. Not alive, and yet still moving and thinking.

Blitzcrank awoke yet again. He was on the very last precipices of his seemingly limitless power reserves. They had been designed to power him until the end of time, and they were doing just that. Today was his final day in a very long life.

He searched into his vast memory banks and remembered a colorful world.

He remembered his creation and his master Viktor
He remembered the League of Legends
He remembered the time of tranquility
He remembered him watching his fellow champions grow old and die
He remembered the void invasion which engulfed the world
He remembered the resistance which took back the world
He remembered a time of eons of peace.
He remembered watching as the world slowly died.

He remembered so much, yet it was so, so, so long ago.

With heavy strain and a creak he lifted his vast bulk up. Once, he was a crisp golden color. Now he was a brown rust, the most colorful thing on this dreary world. The pain of his rust-ridden joints soundless and uncarried by a non-existant wind.

Simply moving was a great effort on his own. It had been the first time in decades he had moved. To amuse himself he had counted the flakes of dust. He used to count the stars, but they had all gone out a long time ago. When he had no need to conserve his power he would often re-enact his many battles in the League. But eventually he stopped, as he had grown saddened at their memory. For they were all long gone.

Even Viktor.

He knew he had a job to do. A job that had been given to him a very long time ago. 18.5584686.56547/3245 trillion years ago to be precise. The day of his "birth" as Viktor had said. When he tried to explain he could not be born, but rather built, Viktor had chuckled.

He missed Viktor. His greatest spark of the emotion known as joy had been when he had joined the League and they had re-united. Though he was different, they still treated each other like good friends.

His legs pumped up and down, as he carefully navigated past his rock garden, a collection of the once common piles of sediment and mineral. Noticing the one he had named Tristana had shifted slightly, he prepared to nudge it back, and then shook his head. He would be gone by the end of today, so it hardly mattered.

He may have once uttered a sigh or observation, but his voice modulator had been broken when Kog'Maw had eaten it during the void invasion. He had difficulty recalling Kog'Maw, as he had purposefully deleted many memories of him from his databanks following the incident.

He arrived at a blank and bare patch in the planet. Yes, this was the place. It had the proper geological conditions, very rare on this crumbling world of dust and darkness. With a snap his left leg finally failed and he found himself back down in the dust. Taking careful care not to damage the site, he picked himself back up.

Today was the day that met criteria. Any longer and he would have failed. Already he could feel his system slowing. With no time to waste, he sent a silent command to his CPU which processed it. After a tense ten seconds of uncertainty whether the data would be accepted, a hiss of steam emanated from his torso The hole in his torso, which had a sealed and riveted door, had long remained closed. Most assumed it was to protect his internal generator. Only he and Viktor knew it was built for this purpose.

He carefully reached his hand in and pulled out something now virtually extinct. It was a tree sapling, in a pot of dirt. Shown at any other time, a bystander would wonder why such a defense would be placed for something so insignificant. But now this tiny tree had the fate of the universe depend on it.

Viktor had known that there would come a time when the universe would end. When eventually all life would stop. Runeterra would die a slow death, sustained by magic like a man on life support. So he had built Blitzcrank. Under his guise he was a waste disposal robot. Truth be told, he could easily fulfill that purpose. Yet his true meaning of existence was known only to him and Viktor.

Placing the plant on the ground, a surge of memories came flooding through him. This was the final day of his life, if robots truly did die. He was unsure of what he felt. Perhaps the emotion of relief that it was finally over would be appropriate, or the emotion of sadness at the fact he was ending a long era with a simple action.

He poked a small hole in the ground with his finger and quickly filled it with dirt, placing the tree sapling in it. He then remembered something crucial. Water and Oxygen. But there was no water. A moment passed in panic as he was thinking of what to do. He then thought of a solution. His last steam tank, which had enough power left in it for a day, would sustain the sapling for a million years. Reaching behind his back and removing the canister, he hooked up one of it's many wires to the soil.

He could already feel the consequences of his action. His body needed that to function. With a clang his right arm fell off, eons of use causing it to break apart almost immediately upon contact with the surface.

For his final act, the top of his head opened up, and a small canister shot into the air, using the last bit of promethium in the world to do so. Static was making it difficult to see, his sensors shutting down. High up in the area formerly known as an atmosphere, the canister burst. He stood there and waited hopeful for 30 seconds. His right eye stopped glowing and he lost feeling in his remaining leg and arm.

Suddenly, something formed overhead. It was a cloud. Then another, and another. The canister had worked. An atmosphere had been created. If he could smile, he would.

His job and purpose were done, this era in the planet's history was over. He thought of all the time he had spent on this planet and of all his friends. Of all his experiences and joys. Of his heartbreaks and adventures. In all, it was more then many could even dream about.

With a final flicker his sight crashed, filling his single remaining photoreceptor with static before simple blackness. On the inside, a robotic voice uttered the words "Primary function completed. Commencing final shutdown of unit Blitzcrank"

Blitzcrank eased his robot mind as his body slowly stopped working.

(Did I do good?)

Epic Merlin 08-10-2012 03:17 AM

I wept Man-tears after reading this amazing short story. Thank so very much for creating this.

Prozn856 08-10-2012 05:07 AM

Awesome story

Trolosaurus 08-10-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epic Merlin (Hozzászólás 28067052)
I wept Man-tears after reading this amazing short story. Thank so very much for creating this.

Daw thanks

AerithRayne 08-10-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epic Merlin (Hozzászólás 28067052)

Not a man, but point remains. I love how... gritty (is that the word?) you made one-shot. It was beautifully tragic. One of the most terrible things of a long life is making friends with beings with shorter spans, and you captured that sorrow. The Tristana pile, for example. All the tears, man. All the tears.

At first I was a little thrown off by the beginning with how choppy it sounded, but now going back (and having read more of your words), it fits perfectly. Thank you so much for the post.

Now, back to bawling my eyes out.

AtomicElbowz 08-10-2012 10:30 PM

meng dis story was really good and it reminded me of that robot movie not to long ago i think the name was wall-e

AlphaOmegaMan 08-11-2012 11:33 AM

i feel blitzcrank could have his own animated series with him just going around being a giant hulking golem you just felt like giving a big hug and this would be the tear jerking last episode *sniff*

Mr Jellly 08-12-2012 11:41 PM

Absolutely brilliant, an excellent one shot to be sure. Although I'm not sure how one tree is going to restart all life I don't really care the story was good enough to overlook that minute detail.

AlphaOmegaMan 08-13-2012 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Jellly (Hozzászólás 28185974)
Absolutely brilliant, an excellent one shot to be sure. Although I'm not sure how one tree is going to restart all life I don't really care the story was good enough to overlook that minute detail.

well life started with micro-organisms, so a tree which consists of millions of cells and asexually reproduces will simply begin growing new seeds, this in turn will create mutations, and possible variations of micro organisms that will grow to co-exist with these trees, kinda like how life did here. eventually you have many more trees, a working atmoshpere, large amounts of micro organisms and maybe even some multicelular simple creatures. hope that explains it ^_^

Trolosaurus 08-13-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AerithRayne (Hozzászólás 28085858)
Not a man, but point remains. I love how... gritty (is that the word?) you made one-shot. It was beautifully tragic. One of the most terrible things of a long life is making friends with beings with shorter spans, and you captured that sorrow. The Tristana pile, for example. All the tears, man. All the tears.

At first I was a little thrown off by the beginning with how choppy it sounded, but now going back (and having read more of your words), it fits perfectly. Thank you so much for the post.

Now, back to bawling my eyes out.

Thanks for the criticism, I really try.
I originally had a different ending in mind where his legs give out and he accidentally crushes the sapling but that was way too depressing of an ending. I wanted to end it on a bittersweet note, not a grimdark note.