League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Lore Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Balancing Technology and Magic (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=245392)

Slovakattack 09-12-2010 12:21 AM

Balancing Technology and Magic

Here's A question I've been meaning to ask for quite a while.

Artistically and lore-ly speaking, What genre would the lol universe be in? It seems to me a cross of medieval, fantasy, and steam/techno-punk concepts, but I don't really know for sure. Anything concrete to add RIOT?

RiotBabagahnoosh 09-13-2010 03:59 PM

It's not a typical fantasy world - that's for sure. I've never been a huge fan of traditional stoic fantasy settings. I think a lot of the fantasy-ish worlds you see in recent video games and literature is a bit of a rebellion against the norm, and I for one love it. Fantasy should be just that - fantastic in nature. Anything is possible, provided you are able to successfully suspend your audience's disbelief enough.

Masonry 09-13-2010 07:32 PM

It seems to be a world where machines and magic developed side by side. They used magic to supplement technology (Hextech stuff) and vise versa. That leaves the world open to many possibilities of steam punk air ships (Corki) and other technologies, while still allowing beings of almost entirely magic (Ryze). This style of fantasy is definitely one of my favorite because of all the possibilities.

Traestus 09-13-2010 07:34 PM

It strikes me as a world similar to that of Fullmetal Alchemist. Fantastical magical powers are out there with various ways of representing the spectrum of magic, however technology is growing and will always have a place as an equally powerful form of combat next to raw magic.

Pigmeo 09-13-2010 07:42 PM

I love the techno/magic setting that lol has, i hope we have some sort of magic/science champion that wields both in an unique way, or at least someone that is some sort of rival to our current top science champion, Heimerdinger.

Slovakattack 09-13-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotBabagahnoosh (Hozzászólás 2899149)
It's not a typical fantasy world - that's for sure. I've never been a huge fan of traditional stoic fantasy settings. I think a lot of the fantasy-ish worlds you see in recent video games and literature is a bit of a rebellion against the norm, and I for one love it. Fantasy should be just that - fantastic in nature. Anything is possible, provided you are able to successfully suspend your audience's disbelief enough.

I hear ya. I've always loved the intricate stylings of steampunk, crossed with the magical fantasy world the best. It gives rise to-in my mind- the most fantastical Genre of all: The melding of magic and machine. One of the reasons I enjoy lol so much is that You Creative Designers are not afraid to push the boundaries of the contemporary fantasy setting. It makes for quite the (pardon the pun) Magical experience that is sorely missed in some of today's more high profile sci-fi games.

I just wanted you guys to know that what you do means a lot to me, especially since I might one day decide to become a creative designer myself.

So, from the bottom of my Clockwork heart:

Thanks. What you do means a lot to me.

Sorayai 09-14-2010 09:18 AM

can anyone explain to me what techmaturgy is? i dont really understand

(not sure if this is a good question for this thread but i just thought i'd ask)

Zzilb 09-14-2010 09:48 AM

Techmaturgy is likely exemplified by any use of Hextech in the game.

the 'Tech' parts of these words is obviously from 'Technology', which is difficult to accurately define but generally speaks of knowledge being applied for a useful purpose.
'maturgy' and 'hex' are both mystic terms. Witches placing hexes on people and Thaumaturgists working intricate spellcraft.

Ergo both terms refer to the blend of magic and science. A lightbulb powered by runecraft instead of electricity, A turret that launches projectiles mechanically but Creates those projectiles mystically in the form of unstable orbs.. Its really that simple, and the potentials are limited only by your imagination.

Im uncertain if the terms are simple synonyms or if Hextech is a particular branch of Techmaturgy. I consider it a natural advancement of the ability to enchant things, in any event, and would always prefer to see mystical things given the same depth that Science has.

Shamanic 09-14-2010 12:08 PM

The techmaturgy may Be One of the Best parts in the entite Lore of LoL in my opinion. I'm a huge Fan of steampunk anyway, but in combining these technological style and the possibilities it offers concearning the development of unique champions make this Game just more and more special. I'm Glad riot has chosen this Way of style.

Slovakattack 09-14-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigred01 (Hozzászólás 2911196)
The techmaturgy may Be One of the Best parts in the entite Lore of LoL in my opinion. I'm a huge Fan of steampunk anyway, but in combining these technological style and the possibilities it offers concearning the development of unique champions make this Game just more and more special. I'm Glad riot has chosen this Way of style.

As am I. It's one of the few styles left that haven't been overdone.