League of Legends Community
12345 ... 6

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] The Bird Is The Word: Solo Mid Guide to Anivia (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=237112)

me is Kiki x3 09-06-2010 08:40 PM

[Guide] The Bird Is The Word: Solo Mid Guide to Anivia

5 Attachment(s)
>>Before you read my guide, know this: Eggpoting does NOT work anymore. It does NOT work. So, do NOT try it. You have been warned.;)

I made this guide for anyone who wants to learn how to play one of the most game-breaking champions in the game. I will cover the basics: who she is, what her abilities are, and how to use her abilities efficiently. Remember, this guide is solely focused on her as a solo mid.

Table of Contents

[I.] Who are you?
[II.] Who is Anivia?
[III.] Anivia's Spells
[IV.] Runes
[V.] Masteries
[VI.] Summoner Spells
[VII.] Items
[VIII.] Ability Line Up
[IX.] Gaming Phases
[X.] Strategies
[XI.] Conclusion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[l.] Who are you?

My name is ChAlz. (CHALZ which comes from Charles, my name.) I've been playing LoL since December 2009. I used to main Twisted Fate, before his huge nerf. Then, I started maining Veigar... before his huge nerf. Now, I main Anivia and she has been my favorite thus far. ;)

[ll.] Who is Anivia?

Anivia is the cryophoenix. She is capable of dealing large amounts of damage, slowing the opponent tremendously, and being an amazing support.

I highly recommend Anivia to anybody just because of how great she can be in the right hands. One thing to keep in mind about the bird is that she is (debatably) the hardest champion to use in the game; however, with practice, she becomes as easy as anyone else.

Here are the reasons why I want you to choose Anivia:
• She kills minion waves in seconds.
• She is an outstanding nuke.
• She can turn the tables in team fights.
• She ganks quite well.
• Her passive allows her to be overly aggressive.
• She has an AOE slow and an AOE stun.
• She can backdoor like a BOSS with the right items.
• She can Initiate (some) team fights.

Here are reasons why I DON'T want you to choose Anivia:
• She has a very low mana pool.
• She doesn't escape very well.
• She is very slow.
• She is very squishy.
• She relies heavily on the golem buff.

[lll.] Anivia's Spells

Flash Frost (FF) <-- remember these acronyms!

Quote:

A massive chunk of ice flies toward target location, dealing 60/90/120/150/180 (+0.5) magic damage, slowing movement by 20%, and chilling any enemy it passes through. At the end of its range or if Anivia activates the spell again, the missile detonates, doing 60/90/120/150/180 (+0.5) magic damage in a small area and stunning units for .75 seconds.

Cost: 80/100/120/140/160 Mana

Range: 1100
This is a slow-moving skill shot that can be activated to detonate before it reaches it's maximum range. This is VERY important when it comes to this skill shot. More about this later.

Also, It takes approx 2 seconds for the spell to reach maximum range directly after it is initionally casted.

Crystallize (Wall)

Quote:

Anivia summons an impenetrable wall of ice 400/500/600/700/800 units wide, blocking all movement. The wall lasts for 5 seconds before it melts.

Cost: 70/90/110/130/150 Mana

Range: 1000
It's a wall that Anivia places. Plain and simple. More on this later as well.

Frostbite (FB)

Quote:

Anivia blasts her target with a freezing wind, dealing 55/85/115/145/175 (+0.5) magic damage. If the target has been chilled, they take double damage.

Cost: 50/60/70/80/90 Mana

Range: 650
This is Anivia's main nuke. This deals CRAZY damage if used in conjunction with her other skills. More on this later as well.

Glacial Storm (GS)

Quote:

Toggle: Anivia calls forth a driving rain of ice and hail, dealing 80/120/160 (+0.25) magic damage per second, slowing their movement and attack speed by 20% for 2.5 seconds, and chilling them.

Cost: 50/70/90 Mana Per Second

Range: 625
The sheer utility this spell brings is very useful: an AOE slow and an attack speed reduction. Not to mention its amazing damage output. Laying this down during a team fight is a must!

Rebirth

Quote:

Upon dying, Anivia will revert into an egg. If the egg can survive for six seconds, she is gloriously reborn.
Pretty self explanitory. More on this later as well.

[IV.] Runes

Personally, I use only one set of masteries, summoner spells, items, and runes for Anivia, with very little alteration.

Red : Magic Pen - Magic pen adds to the damage spells do. These runes are quite useful early and late game.

Yellow: Health/Level - These runes add an additional ruby crystal (180 health) at level 18.

Blue: Cooldowns/Level- Due to the fact that there tend to be more teamfights late game, I choose CD/Level rather than flat CD. More spells in less time = more damage.

Purple: Flat Health - At level one, Anivia barely has 400 health with no runes. This is one of the lowest (if not the lowest) health values in the game. Having health quints on Anivia is highly reccomended because of her low health value and because it scales with her passive. The egg will have 500 health instead of 400, which always helps out a little bit.

[V.] Masteries

I use a 9/0/21 build with Anivia.

The link can be found here.

The 9 points in offence are:
• 3 in Archmage's Savvy
• 1 in Deadliness
• 4 in Sorcery
• 1 in Archaic Knowledge

The 21 in utility are:
• 3 in Perseverance
• 1 in Spatial Accuracy
• 4 in Awareness
• 2 in Utility Mastery
• 3 in Meditation
• 1 in Greed
• 3 in Quickness
• 3 In Intelligence
• 1 In Presence of the Master

[VI.] Summoner Spells

These are my top choices for summoner spells: (Ordered by priority)

1.) Teleport - this allows you to lane efficiently without missing many minion kills. In mid, it is important that you have the minion and experience advantage over your opponent. This spell helps do this quite well. This spell also allows you to "pop" into any team fight without warning.

2.) Ignite - this spell is excellent for finishing off opponents (duh). Since Anivia gets close to her opponents when she uses her spells on them, this is a great addition to guarentee a kill.

The above two spells are the ones that I always use because of personal prefrence. The following spells are also recommended.

3.) Flash - this spell makes up for Anivia's poor escape mechanisms. It also sets up well for just barely getting that last bit of health off of the opponent that is just too far away to run to. I use ignite over this spell just for that reason. For the escape mechanic, I use teleport.

4.) Ghost - this also makes up for Anivia's poor escape mechanisms. It is also great for chasing opponents and "wall"ing them in their path.

The following spells are NOT reccomened by me.

Clarity - this is the big one. You'd think that this makes up for her low mana pool, but my build consists of mana items. (RoA, Archangel's staffs) Because it heals a flat amount of mana based on level, I don't find it very useful because her ult drains too much mana (without any mana items) for this to be relied on. Also, because you will most likely be getting blue buff the most, it lacks the benefits the other spells have.

(Exaust, Revive, Smite, Cleanse, Fortify, Rally and Clairvoyance are also not reccomended.)

[VII.] Items

My item build is centered around 3 things:
1.) Ability Power
2.) Mana
3.) Health

I never have, and never will get Mejaj's on Anivia. She has high burst damage, and yes, we want it higher the more times we kill. But, snowball items are too situational. The more stacks you have, the more you are targeted in team fights. The more you are targeted in team fights, the more you die. The more you die, the less stacks you have. The less stacks, the more wasted gold. At the end of this build, Anivia has approxomately 790 AP, a suitable amount of health, and a suitable amount of mana without any snowball items. Here is my build:

• Sorcerer's Shoes - For movement and magic pen.
• Rod of Ages - Scales health, mana, and ability power. Also, it's a great item to have in • unison with Archangel's Staff
• Archangel's Sraff - Passive grants CRAZY amount of ability power. It also grants CRAZY amounts of mana.
• Archangel's Staff (another one) - The AP passive of this item stacks making it crazier, but the mana passive does not.
• Rabadon's Deathcap - Grants large amounts of AP. Nuff said.
• Lich Bane - With 790 AP, you can kill turrets in about 4 hits.

The order in which I get my items is as follows:

1.) Sapphire Crystal & 2 Health Pots
2.) Cataclyst the Protector
3.) Boots
4.) Rod of Ages
5.) Sorc Boots
6.) Archangel's Staff
7.) Rabadon's Deathcap
8.) Archangel's Staff
9.) Lich Bane

Other Items to Consider:

• Rylai's Crystal Scepter - This item grants additional health and AP which is always good. Its passive slow effect is also extremely useful. The reason why I don't always get this item is because the 2nd Archangel's staff grants more much more AP and mana. This is a very good item to consider nonetheless.

• Banshee's Veil - I usually get this item if the other team is caster heavy or have a ridiculously fed caster. It's amazing how this item will shut down most hard-hitting mages. (Ryze, Veigar, other Anivias)

• Abyssal Scepter - If I were to get Banshee's Veil, I'd always get an AS just for the extra magic resist boost. The two items combined give an additional 114 magic resist. This along with RoA and, possibly Rylai's as well, will make the mages think twice about attacking you first.

• Frozen Heart - I only get this item if the other team is physical dps heavy or has a ridiculously fed physical dps character. This item succeeds in allowing MUCH less physical damage to be done to you. Not just because of the armor benefit, but also the attack speed reduction aura benefit. This aura + GS will have the physical dps characters think twice about attacking you first.

[VIII.] Ability Line Up

When it comes to Anivia's skills I reccomend leveling up Frost Bite as quickly as possible. At level 9 with the double damage bonus, this spell deals 350 damage with a 1 to 1 ability power ratio. It also only has a 5 second cooldown. Try to get at least 1 rank of wall before level 11 also.

1. FF
2. FB
3. FF
4. FB
5. FB
6. GS
7. FB
8. Wall
9. FB
10. FF
11. GS
12. FF
13. FF
14. Wall
15. Wall
16. GS
17. Wall
18. Wall

[IX.] Gaming Phases

Early Game Phase:

Pick up FF at level one, grab your mana crystal and two health pots, and be on your way. Your main strategy in mid is to rack up as many minion kills as possible. Your secondary srategy is to harass your opponent, depending on who they are. The first thing you do when you see your opponent is click on them. Look at their health and their items:
**If they are a tristiana with 700 health and a Doran's blade, don't bother harassing them at level 1 because they can regenerate quickly. In this case, focus on last hitting minions. This is HUGE.

**If they are a Heimerdinger with 400 health and a Mekiki Pendant, harass them. Hit them with a few flash frosts (more on landing skill shots later). Also, autoattack them just enough so that their minions don't attack you. With health as low as 400, one auto attack will do about 1/3 of a bar of damage. At level 2, use FF into a FB on them. This deals crazy damage to opponents without any health items/runes. They will more than likely retreat, giving you more time to rack up minion kills and make them get less. Remember: killing your opponent is your SECOND priority at this point in time.

Mid Game Phase:

Once you hit level 6, you should have enough gold to buy a Cataclyst the Protector and port back. Since you have 3 ranks of FB, it is time to harass them, wheather they are the tristiana or the heimerdinger. Remember that GS, her ult, procs the double-damage effect of FB. This still your second priority, so don't be overly aggressive if you're taking more damage than they are. When it comes to GS, I only use it to proc the double effect of FB on my opponent. I don't use it to farm minions at this point.

*At this point in time (with a cataclyst), you are able to get blue buff with a full mana pool if done correctly. The method is this: use GS just so that you get the benefit of FB on the golem. In other words, toggle GS for a second, toggle it off, and then use FB on the golem. Next, use FF on the golem for the same reason: to freeze the opponent so that FB will gain the double damage bonus. Just repeat this process until the golem is demolished.
At level 9, your FB should be maxed out. Harass your oppenent with this spell if they come close to you. Feel free to tower dive if they are at low health. Do this by attacking the tower as the friendly minion wave comes in. The opponent should be tempted to attack you at this point. Shoot a FF into a FB, ignite and then... you have slain an enemy.

*When teleport comes off of cooldown, keep your eyes on the side lanes. If there is a fight going on in one of the lanes, teleport to a nearby minion or teleport to a ward in a bush <-- VERY USEFUL. Get the clean up kill or an assist or two. (More on team fights later) Or, clear the minion waves if both team mates died.

Once the game goes on, farm minion waves in mid. At level 11, you can kill waves of minions in seconds. Once the minions have formed formation, use GS so that it covers all of them. After that, use a FF so that its path covers all of them as well. Then, use FB on the cannon minion if it is there. This all should take about 3 - 4 seconds. Keep harassing their tower until it gets destroyed, then go help another lane.

Late Game Phase:

This is where Anivia shines the brightest. At level 16, team fights are starting to happen around the lanes. Because Late-Game is so team fight based, refer to the team fight strategies towards the end of the guide.

Very Late Game Phase:

The game has reached the 55 minute mark. Your build should be complete at this point. You have 790 AP and a Lich Bane. You are a foce to be reconed with. Don't let it get to you, though. At this point you MUST play defensively if you want the victory. Stay WITH your team, but stay BEHIND them as well. Make sure you are NOT targeted. This can be done by waiting a second or two after the teamfight starts. The same strategy is as follows: Trap your opponents in GS while nuking them. Remember to auto-attack. You have lich bane!

[X.] Stragegies

Your straregy, when it comes to fighting is to: Nuke them, stun them, get them trapped in GS, and wall them so that they don't escape. In this section, an acronym and an arrow means use a skill, then use the next skill after. For instance "FF -> FB" means "use flash frost, then use frost bite." Whenever it says "wall," use the wall in their path of escape to cut them off.

As a side note, remember to ALWAYS try to go for the opposing carry or support, never the tank.

1v1 Fighting Strategy:

FF -> FB -> GS -> Wall -> Ignite -> FB

This is a pretty straight-forward strategy. The most important thing to remember in a 1v1 is to try and use FB more than once if they commit to attacking rather than running away.

*If you are losing the fight, use FF to stun them and put a wall between you and your opponent.

Initiation Stragegy:

FF -> Wall -> GS -> FB -> Ignite

As said before, Anivia can initiate team fights. Let's say there's a 5v5 in mid. Your team and you are at your tower while your opponents are out of range of the tower moving around and poking and what-not. Harass them by firing your FF. If you land a hit and are close enough to wall them (wall them = use wall right behind them), DO IT. After this, use GS to set them up for a FB. Once this happens, your team should commit and begin attacking this unfortunate person. Try With the wall behind this person, it will take the opposing team half a second longer to commit to the team fight. Initiation complete.

Basic Team fight Strategy:

GS -> FF -> Wall -> FB -> Ignite

Try to use GS so that it covers most of the opponent. Then, try to land a FF so that it stuns them. If you have successfully stunned someone, or all of them, use a wall directly behind them so they face their doom.

Your Wall:

The wall is one of things that define Anivia. This is the game-breaker of a team fight, especially jungle team fights.

*Place the wall DIRECTLY in the opponent's path of escape if they are trying to run away. There is a split second delay when in comes to walling people. As long as the light blue indicator is well in front of them, you can safely wall them. If you fail-wall, so what. Say you're sorry and your team will forgive you. If they don't, just ignore them.

Your Egg:

Your egg allows you more survivability, yes, but it does not mean you should run into a team fight by yourself! You are not a tank. When you have low health and egg is up, use your health pots, When you have low health and egg is up, go back and heal. Egg is a backup in case something unfortunate happens. Never die with egg on purpose unless you kill someone in the process and you know that you will survive.

Remember: eggporting no longer works. So, do not try it.

Landing Those **** Skill shots!

FF is Anivia's only skill shot. It is the slowest moving skill shot in the game, but it has a large hit box because of the explosion.

*DIRECTLY after you fire this spell at them, move towards them so that they are more willing to move back. More than likely, they will move back because they are paying more attention to you rather than the spell being fired itself. If they do move to the side, simply use GS into a FB to satisfy the damage. If the spell hits, do whatever satisfies the situation.

*They usually like to over-commit if FF misses. They assume that since you have it on cooldown, they are free to attack you. Simply GS -> FB or even Wall them if your mana satisfies. Mind games can help a lot when it comes to landing skill shots!

[XI.] Conclusion:

What!? You read this guide completely and went 1-13-2 your first game!? You missed 75% of your skill shots!? Your team hated you because you fail walled so much!? They called you the "fail anivia" or told you to "uninstall"!? This is exactly what happened to me my first few games as Anivia.

It's alright. Anivia takes time to master. She is (debatably) the hardest champion in the game to use, you know. All you have to do is keep practicing and everything will eventually come to you.

As a side note, You don't have to follow EVERYTHING in this guide. Just do whatever works for you and always remember: The Bird is the Word. :p

Thanks for reading my guide! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Other Guides by me:
AP Poppy

me is Kiki x3 09-06-2010 08:42 PM

Edit Log:
1. Changed the Borders
2. Added pictures
3. Separated Runes/Masteries/Summoner Spells/Items into 4 separate sections.
4. Added "Other Items to Consider" list with 4 other items to consider.
5. Added another picture.
6. Added red color
7. Changed Zhonya's to Rabadon's
8. Added that eggporting has been removed. :(

Lunarez 09-06-2010 09:38 PM

good guide

+1

UknowsI 09-06-2010 09:41 PM

Good guide, definitely learned something. I will try the teleport and egg trick from now on.

Any thoughts on Rylai's Scepter? I would think it works well with GS.

omgwtflolbbl 09-06-2010 10:52 PM

Using FB off of GS is really important and too many people seem to get caught up in having to open with FF to fight. Anivia really isn't a very popular hero and too many people don't understand that just because FF missed doesn't mean that Anivia is somehow super weak now.

me is Kiki x3 09-07-2010 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UknowsI (Hozzászólás 2778283)
Good guide, definitely learned something. I will try the teleport and egg trick from now on.

Any thoughts on Rylai's Scepter? I would think it works well with GS.

Rylai's would work well with all of her spells, not to mention the extra AP, Health. I'll add this to the "items to also consider" list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgwtflolbbl (Hozzászólás 2778925)
Using FB off of GS is really important and too many people seem to get caught up in having to open with FF to fight. Anivia really isn't a very popular hero and too many people don't understand that just because FF missed doesn't mean that Anivia is somehow super weak now.

I agree. Using a quick GS->FB combo is also efficient because it sets up for a FF, a wall, or another FB.

One thing I like to do is this: When I miss with FF, I run back a little bit to trick my opponent into thinking that I'm hopeless. Then once they over-commit, I use GS->FB->Wall, or whatever combo is effective for the situation. I said this before, but I'll say it again because it's so important: Use mindgames on your opponent when it comes to landing skill shots and combos!;)

peyo 09-07-2010 04:45 AM

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=219077
+ I'd suggest grabbing mp5/lvl Seals or Glyphs (or both of them :P)

ShaShouX 09-07-2010 07:39 AM

i like your guide
but i think that having at least level 1 wall is decent by level 4
especially if you're going mid
it allows you to escape into the jungle with ease in case of a gank
a warwick could easily gank you and you're kinda screwed...
run into the jungle (anivia's best get-away)
wall off an area, and get away easily

me is Kiki x3 09-07-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peyo (Hozzászólás 2780891)
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=219077
+ I'd suggest grabbing mp5/lvl Seals or Glyphs (or both of them :P)

I've never thought of that, actually. Perseverance really doesn't add to the mana regen... Thanks for this.

Mp5 runes have never been my thing just because my build for Anivia doesn't rely on mana regen. My build relies on flat mana. (Archangelsx2, RoA)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaShouX (Hozzászólás 2782144)
i like your guide
but i think that having at least level 1 wall is decent by level 4
especially if you're going mid
it allows you to escape into the jungle with ease in case of a gank
a warwick could easily gank you and you're kinda screwed...
run into the jungle (anivia's best get-away)
wall off an area, and get away easily

At level 4, I could stun WW with a flash frost. He can't do much after that.

At level 6, however, this is when I fear him... and all junglers for that matter. But, by the time he is level 6, I should be level 8 with one rank of wall.

me is Kiki x3 09-09-2010 02:22 PM

bump