League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Question about malphite (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=23119)

kayzzer 11-04-2009 03:43 PM

Question about malphite

Is malphite considered a tank, even we equip him in damage gear and also consider the fact that malphite has no defensive skills.

Mortenya 11-04-2009 03:51 PM

if you stack up armor and get some HP, you will be able to take quite a lot of damage. so he isn't quite a pure tank, he is a tank/initiator.

SmecssRaege 11-04-2009 03:57 PM

he has a damage move based off armor
and his passive

both i would count as defensive

he can be played as a melee DPS (although this is rare to see) or a tank/initiator (not as pure tankee as say alistar or rammus, but still does great in the role... and ground slam is a nice anti-carry move)

Voidgolem 11-04-2009 04:10 PM

Step 1: Unstoppable force

Step 2: Seismic Shard the squishiest hero

Step 3: Activate passive whose name I don't remember

????

Profit
~

I forget what build I actually use as him, though...

Anyhow, on topic: Malphite's innate ability makes him a beastly tank with enough HP built up, so long as you give it time to recover between fights/ganks/whatever. But your role is really pretty much jacking a hero with seismic shard and unstoppable force and generally being a great big annoyance for the enemy team >.>

Matthius 11-04-2009 06:16 PM

His armour stacks with his ground slam damage and its easy to get a fast cd 400 damage aoe by chasing some armour, and 10% of his hp goes into a fast resetting shield so he can play as a semi tank, but really hes an initiator and amazing at stopping enemy teams as a whole or people who are casting ulti's with his ultimate. He's also great at chasing with Shard and a frost mallet or somesuch slowing weapon. Imo he's one of the most fun tanks and has more presence than say alistair in a group fight.

HereticalCrab 11-04-2009 06:37 PM

I'd love to know what the "official" definition of a tank is cause I keep seeing these posts where heroes I would think are obviously tanks are being called "semi-tanks" and **** like that.

Matthius 11-04-2009 08:28 PM

Well the way I look at it is if you try to play Malphite as a straight out tank you tend to get dropped like a sack of spuds, he's much better at opening a group fight then moving about harassing targets of importance whilst spamming his ground slam. He has no ongoing usefulness as a group fighter really. Tanks like Nasus with his ultimate, armour debuff aoe and brutal slow, Alistair with his knockback(ulti breaker) aoe heal which isn't exactly a make or break but helps and his ultimate are both made to take a beating.

Then you've got tanks like Amumu and Blitzcrank who both have pretty awesome cc's and force the opposing team to deal with them, Amumu via his Despair and his Ulti, along with Tantrum whilst he's being beaten on and Blitz who can pull an ulti Fiddle etc out of a group fight and force him to waste it and run around popping people in the air disrupting their escape plans, he even comes with 2 inbuilt escape mechanisms in the form of overdrive and his mana shield which is way better than Malphites shield IMO.

Malphites stength lies in his ability to open rather than to outlast, he forces the opposition to enter group fights gingerly awaiting the point in which he charges, stomps, shards and puts a world of hurt on whomever he picks, beyond that point he becomes much less of a threat, he becomes more like Mundo, a decent damage dealer who can take a bit of a beating.

Xocolatl 11-05-2009 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthius (Hozzászólás 253751)
Well the way I look at it is if you try to play Malphite as a straight out tank you tend to get dropped like a sack of spuds, he's much better at opening a group fight then moving about harassing targets of importance whilst spamming his ground slam. He has no ongoing usefulness as a group fighter really. Tanks like Nasus with his ultimate, armour debuff aoe and brutal slow, Alistair with his knockback(ulti breaker) aoe heal which isn't exactly a make or break but helps and his ultimate are both made to take a beating.

Yeaaa... kinda wished I had read this post before I played him. I got totally destroyed as soon as I walk into a fight thinking I'm the almighty tank. I was packing well over 100 armor, and 100 MR--and I always drop in less than 3 seconds. Admittedly my hp was low (just about 2300), I didn't expect to get destroyed so quickly.

I'll keep that in mind the next time I play him.

Ramayana 11-05-2009 10:44 AM

Whenever I complete my full 6 item set with Malphite, which has only happened maybe 2-3 times, I have just shy of 400 armor and 150ish MR, about 2.5k hp iirc. With those states, his passive, and the Banshees Veil passive, he is most definitely a tank, as well as being able to lay down a beating with Unstoppable Force -> Ground Slam -> Seismic Shard combos.

I don't run this build if the team is heavy on casters obviously, but more often then not lately I've been getting more physical heavy teams then magic.

JohnCataldo 11-05-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xocolatl (Hozzászólás 254125)
Yeaaa... kinda wished I had read this post before I played him. I got totally destroyed as soon as I walk into a fight thinking I'm the almighty tank. I was packing well over 100 armor, and 100 MR--and I always drop in less than 3 seconds. Admittedly my hp was low (just about 2300), I didn't expect to get destroyed so quickly.

I'll keep that in mind the next time I play him.

Don't consider this bashing, but this is pretty meaningless. We have no idea what level you or the enemies were, 100 armor/MR is hardly amazing in general, etc. By level ~15, 100 armor is pretty weak (I've usually got a Frozen Heart, which is 100 armor by itself, AND some other major armor piece plus turtle shells by then). But maybe you were level 5, in which case that's a lot!

Tank does not mean unkillable, regardless. There's almost no one you can play and expect to just walk in alone against multiple enemies unscathed. You always need teammates, especially as a tank. If you are tanking, you are not DPS, so you need help doing damage. Killing champions 1v1 won't work, and certainly not 1v2+.

Don't always lead off with your ultimate right at the start of an encounter. Often it's best to wait a few seconds, let the enemy engage and be distracted (and clumped up!), then ultimate onto 2-4 of them. This works especially well if the enemy team has multiple melee heroes, as they practically always group together for you after a few seconds. Malphite's stun is ridiculous if you can hit multiple players with it, often winning the battle for your team (even if it's not obvious to them that's the case!)