League of Legends Community
1234511 ... 13

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] How to Destroy People By Shooting Water - A guide to Tristana. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=229981)

Leirkov 08-31-2010 07:25 PM

[Guide] How to Destroy People By Shooting Water - A guide to Tristana.

[Introduction]

Hello, I'm Leirkov. I have over 300 games played as Tristana, and over 200 wins with her. Since the start of Season One and draft mode has come about, people are starting to see the power of Tristana. However, some people still don't understand how the hell to play her. I'm here to write this guide and stop you idiots from using Rocket Jump into a group of 5 and then dying instantly and raging at your team.

Tristana is a character most suited for middle lane, as a carry, she requires farming to be effective, and if you want to optimize your DPS fast, Tristana needs that solo EXP and gold. However if someone else needs it to be highly effective (Nidalee and Corki come to mind), then allow them to have it. Hopefully this read is informative.

Table of Contents
1) Skills and Explanation
2) Skill build, Runes, Masteries and Spells.
3) Item build
4) Gameplay
5) Tips and Tricks
6) The Dos and Don'ts
7) Closing

Section 1: Skills and Explanation

(Passive) Draw a Bead - Tristana gains range per level, basically. As you get higher in level, you start outranging EVERYBODY in the game. Around level 7 or 8, you outrange Heimerdinger's Turrets completely, free gold! You also outrange Annie and Zilean (?)'s auto attacks.

(Q) Rapid Fire - You gain a massive amount of Attack Speed, up to 90% at rank 5. This is why Tristana is a tower raper. This is why Tristana also wins team fights. You have such a ridiculous range (bar KogMaw when he has his Bio-Arcane Barrage skill active) and you deal massive DPS.. fast.

(W) Rocket Jump - I used to be a hater of this skill. Then I re-read the damage it does per level and realized how wrong I was. Seriously. You're doing about 500 damage of burst at level 6. I'm going to stress this later on. Trist has ridiculous burst with this skill and Buster Shot for a carry. (Early game.)

A very important use of Rocket Jump during team fights is to reposition yourself. If you are in a bad spot where Ashe is attacking you, you're playing Tristana wrong. Jump away and then twoshot that *****. Is Udyr charging at you? ****, jump away and then let your tank eat his stun or get CC'd to death.

(E) Explosive Shot - This is what makes Tristana a pain in the ass to lane against. If Tristana is running up to you, she's about to use Explosive Shot, then auto attack you a bit and then run away. Early game, this is such a ridiculous skill where you run up, they take 150 damage over time, and lose HP/5. Precious HP during laning. Careful abusing this against people with high regen (anyone who starts with a Regrowth Pendant, Mordekaiser, Vladimir) as it drains mana fast. Late game, this skill loses its value a little but if they are running a heal comp (Taric/Janna/Soraka/Kayle) then by all means, use it. Someone has also mentioned that using this to break a Banshee's Veil and Buster Shot away a chasing Rammus saved his ass. This is pretty much all the skill becomes useful for late game.

(R - Ultimate: Buster Shot) - This is Tristana's killsteal button, much like Blitzcrank's Static Field. Have you ever been on a team with a dumb Tristana where you're about to kill 2 people.. and then she blows themm away? Yeah, those are the bad Tristanas. Time the ultimate carefully and make sure you don't blow away team kills. You can use this skill to harass since it's on about a minute cooldown. Think of it like Lux's ultimate but not a skillshot.

This does 300/400/500 damage. So time it carefully. Make careful note of their HP before engaging. For example, one time I was laning against an Ezreal and forgot his Arcane Shift was up. I jumped in and while in the air, I hit Buster Shot, however, he blinked away so I missed 200 spike damage along with my cannonball just sending him to safety. You want to use this after you're positive they will die.

This skill, in combination with Ignite (or Explosive Shot, or both, because Ignite + Explosive work together and it's annoying as hell for the enemy :D) sets up so many kills, especially during laning. When Tristana hits level 6, think of her like Annie. If she's playing aggressive, she's trying to pull her combo, and unless you're Cho'Gath with 3 feast stacks and 1500 HP, you're going to die if pulled off correctly.

Section 2: Skill build, Runes, Masteries and Spells.

Skill order is as followed:

1-6: EWWEWR

Basically, R>W>E>Q.

Yes, I've changed.

W first gives you stupidly good burst, especially at level 6. It's nearly 500 burst damage with just WR. Factor in E over time AND your auto attacks? That's a rough go.. for your opponent. 1-5, just focus on farming. If you can, get some harassment in with E and auto attacks. Then at level 6, you'll be armed with Level 3 rocket jump. Math:

160 W
300 R
25 x 5 E
= 585 damage at level 6. This is assuming true damage, but even so, that is absurd for a carry. Realistically, your E will be doing ~20 damage per second ticks.

For examples sake, let's round it down to 530 because of MR being factored in. If your lane opponent does not have a Doran's item, you're probably going to be able to oneshot them at level 6. If they have a doran's, you probably need to play more cautiously but harass more during laning. Choose your time to initiate carefully, because I've done stupid things such as tower diving without enough mana and I'm stuck there trying to get the last 250 damage off with R when I didn't have the mana, so I sat there and died.

You can change the skill build to the scenario.

I like to max W and E before getting Q now, usually. However, if we're doing a lot of tower pushing OR my team is getting into a lot of teamfights, I'm going to need more points in Q rather than E (especially because you aren't using E for much in teamfights, except on healers or getting rid of a Banshee's.) to buff up my DPS rather than an extra 20 damage tick on E.

Don't ever stick to one skill build. For example, you're playing against a completely zoned opponent and they're being denied. Skip getting E after about level 7 or so, and start pumping Q. Your DPS in 1v1 / teamfight scenarios / pushing towers will be much more efficient and will help you get through the game easier.

One thing to note about Rocket Jump, and for some reason, people with 500 wins don't know still, is that Rocket Jump's cooldown refreshes on KILLS and ASSISTS. Therefore, when you are winning a teamfight (and you will, because you're playing Tristana), and people try running away, they can't. Why? Cause Tristana will slow you and then you will die to her and her team.

You think being harassed by Ezreal sucks? Take 25 damage every second then eat 60 damage auto attacks. Then say "Ezreal laning SO OP NERF PLZZZ" Tristana has a very strong early game. Now is she God all game? No. But she's annoying to lane against, unless you have a REALLY strong laning character, such as Vladimir.

Runes

You have a few options here, here is what I PERSONALLY run, you can adjust to your style and I will add viable options.

Red: Armor pen.
Yellow: Mana regen/level.
Blue: Flat CDR.
Quints: Flat HP.

Justification:

Red: Because armor pen is the best thing in the game. People start with low armor. Therefore you want to do as much damage as possible, nearing true damage.
Yellow: This allows me to be a bit more spammy throughout laning, and allows me to have confidence in doing a WR combo just to harass at level 6.
Blue: Flat CDR is probably the top pick for blue runes.
Quints: ~100 HP to start the game? This is invaluable.

What else is viable?

Red - Nothing really.. attack speed is an option but armor pen is much better.
Yellow - Dodge, armor, hp/level.
Blue - Mana regen, magic resist. Nothing special here.
Quints - Armor pen. However, flat HP is pretty standard on ANYONE because the early game advantage is too big to pass up.

Masteries

21/0/9

Pretty standard, no reason not to do anything else. Tristana getting more damage to start a game is good, built in crit chance.. etc. If you don't know 21/0/9, please let me know so I can post it for you.

If you are not level 30, and do not have access to the standard builds, just focus on the offensive tree for now. The bonuses will be more valuable for you than the 9 in utility.

Section 3: Item Build

This is how I judge how bad Tristana's are in pugs.

#1. Stop starting with the following items:

Long Sword
Cloth Armor
Doran's Ring [unless you're AP]
Vampiric Scepter

Seriously, stop. You are not cool.

Starting item: Doran's Blade / Shield. + HP Potion.

"but Leirkov, Doran's Shield gives me HP regen! doran's blade is obvs nub item!111"

You silly goose. Both are very solid items. Hell, I could grab Doran's Ring just to troll you and still beat the hell out of you in lane. The early game HP advantage gained by Doran's items is amazing. It really helps out your laning to be that more solid.

Seriously, opponents that have faced me with 4-5 bars to start the game generally serve up first blood between 2-4.

Anyway, I don't really care after this point. Again, shifting from my previous edition:

Core Items:
Doran's Blade + HP Potion
Berserker Greaves / Mercury Treads
Infinity Edge
Last Whisper

Here is my core build for every game. Allow me to explain.

Doran's Blade: Early game HP is amazing. Makes you harder to kill, makes you look beefier and sometimes opponents will be more cautious to harass. (Obviously at higher ELOs, opponents don't care, because player skill is generally high.) Life steal gives you 3-5 HP back per hit, not much but it helps out. Attack damage makes last hitting a bit easier and you can also harass a bit harder.

Berserker Greaves / Mercury Treads: "omg leirkov berserkers are the worst item in teh game!!!111!" Lol, congrats on being an ignorant fool. You're probably one of those idiots who reads the forums all day and believes everything you read. "Berserker Greaves are bad because I am a poor player with poor positoning!" Too **** bad. Berserker Greaves help you out early one with the extra boost in attack speed. I'm pretty sure just by buying them you get generally close (or a bit over) 1 attack a second, trust me, that's pretty sweet the earlier on you can grab them. Mercury Treads help you out in the sense that there are just certain teams out there (Kog'Maw, Kassadin, Morgana, Galio, Olaf) where there's a crapton of CC going around along with a ton of magic damage and it's gonna kill you. Glass cannon builds never work. [Haha, glass cannon... I made a Trist pun.]

Infinity Edge: The best damage item in the game. Great amount of AD, crit chance is great and 250% bonus damage on crits rather than your standard 200%? Congrats on hitting 453 criticals at 17 minutes into the game.

Last Whisper: Some sweet attack speed, minor attack damage, and 40% armor pen. If your opponents are smart and not building glass cannon (hey, you aren't, right?), then they're gonna get some **** armor. Yes, for the most part you'll be shredding through their armor (nearing true damage) just with armor pen reds alone, but still. People ARE going to buy Ninja Tabi. People ARE going to get GAs, people WILL build Thornmail. So be prepared. This will up your crits to about 511 so it's a very notable difference in my opinion.

From there, it really depends on how the game is going.

Is the enemy team one of those stupid gimmick Tank only teams?
Get a Madred's Bloodrazor after Infinity Edge.

Are casters giving you a headache and you need some MR?
Banshee's Veil works for most cases, but if it's extreme, a Force of Nature may be viable if it's all nuking. If you're facing a Ryze/Annie.. might be a good idea for a FoN. If you're facing Morgana, Banshee's Veil will probably save you from the ultimate.

Is the physical DPS hero (Olaf, Master Yi, Sion, Warwick) destroying you?
Thornmail. Thornmail -> Right click heroes. End of story. It's 2k for 100 armor and damage return. Why wouldn't you buy it? Also, thornmail makes people scared to attack you.

Let me tell you one thing right now. You are not going to be stupid enough to walk around with 0 mr / 0 ar. Right? Because if you are, you are going to be blown up the minute someone focuses you. If Anivia keeps hurting you in team fights, get a ****ing Negatron Cloak and upgrade it later. If Yi keeps getting tunnel vision to go after you in team fights, get a Thornmail, then laugh because you are better at him in a 1v1 scenario. I will emphasize this again: Glass cannon builds do not work against competent opponents. You ever see an Annie walking around with a Sapphire Crystal to start the game and she turns it into Tear of the Goddess and her build is AA Staff, Zhonya's and Abyssal? I bet you you're killing her in less than 2 seconds in a team fight.

Now a generic play-by-play game for me:

Doran's Blade + HP Pot to start the game

First trip back: Boots1 + BF Sword
If I have not amassed enough gold: Pickaxe + HP potions + MP potions
If I can't afford a Pickaxe for some reason: More Doran's Blades. Better than nothing.
If I got a level 1-3 first blood and just want to get an even bigger advantage because you need to bluepill: Elixir of Fortitude, more HP potions.

Second trip: Finish IE or keep getting the recipe items (BF Sword -> Pickaxe -> Cloak, in the priority of getting them).
If Infinity Edge has been completed: Long Sword OR Recurve Bow, whatever item you can afford to build your Last Whisper. Also finish your boots first as a priority.
If Infinity Edge has NOT been completed: Pickaxe, sell Doran's Blades for the BF Sword if not afforded yet. Try to get IE before 20 minutes, think of Infinity Edge as the Rod of Ages rule for casters.

From there, just finish IE, boots, last whisper. Ask yourself questions based on my above statements. TLDR form:

Tanky team: Bloodrazor
Casters pissing me off: FoN / Banshee's Veil
DPS pissing me off: Thornmail
Need to do even MORE damage!: Bloodthirster stacking.

One time I had a balanced team to face and I got 3 bloodthirsters, infinity, boots, and LW. I destroyed them with nearly 600 AD. That's if the game goes that far. Usually, games end around 25-35 minutes, so you'll have your IE and LW + boots by then. If you're doing super well, start for your Bloodthirster.

Summoner Spells

Love:

Cleanse
- Needed on every squishy with no escape, but it helps Tristana anyway. Cleanse -> Rocket Jump = you win.
Ghost - Offensively and defensively minded skill. If Rocket Jump won't save you, pop this and run for your dear life.
Ignite - Early game kills pretty much. Counters heal comps as well if Explosive is on CD.
Flash - Rocket Jump is cooler. But some of the top players use this with Tristana. I'm not a fan, but run it if you like. (Locodoco, a highly skilled 1900+ELO player, noted as one of the top Tristana players) uses Flash/Ghost. I believe Atlanta also uses Flash-Ghost. I'm a fan of Cleanse-Ghost because one bit of CC and you're dead, but you can escape.

Meh:

Exhaust - Counter-spell for specific heroes. (Ashe, Xin Zhao, AD Sion) Most people really don't take this except at mid ELO / mid-high ELO.

Teleport - Map control is good.. can help with pushes / aid you in backdooring. I find other spells are better though. In SOME cases, it can work but I believe a reliable escape spell is necessary on every hero.

Just, no:

Heal
Clarity
Clairvoyance (save for your support / tank)
Fortify
Revive (lolwut)
Smite (No, you are not a jungle character.)
Rally (The only character I see fit for Rally is Sivir.)

God Tier:

Promote (lol removed)

Section 4: Gameplay

Tristana's gameplay is very easy, which is why she's a 1350 hero. However, some people don't seem to understand the concept. This section will be brief, but I will explain everything to the best of my ability.

During early game laning

1v1 mid, 1v1 top:

You should dominate this lane unless your opponent is EXTREMELY difficult (Vladimir, Mordekaiser, Anivia). The basic idea is to harass with Explosive Shot unless you're going to eat too much rebuttal. For example, you are laning against Twisted Fate. He's going AP as noted by his Doran's Ring. When is the right time to harass?

A) When he has a gold card AND wild cards ready.
B) When you made him waste the card and will be ready to evade Wild Cards

If you chose Option B, you are smart. You need to choose harassing carefully. Harass Katarina after she uses Bouncing Blades. If she wants to harass you while it's on cooldown? She's going to Shunpo into you and then she's going to eat Explosive Shot and 3-5 auto attacks at least.

Auto attack -> explosive shot -> 1-3 auto attacks. They will now run away in fear. This is how Tristana dominates lanes. Her harassment potential is through the roof. Use this to your advantage, especially since your auto attack range increases per level! Once you wittle them down you can burst them down, especially at 6.

2v2 bottom:

Tristana needs a very good partner here to be successful. My favorite partner personally is Rammus, since he can setup my kills perfectly by powerballing into them and then using his taunt, allowing me to get free reign on them. You do NOT want someone who requires farming to be successful (IE: another carry, Gangplank, Sion, etc) or someone who steals creep kills in general (IE: Mordekaiser, Janna that thinks maxing tornado and abusing it on minions is a good idea). Tristana needs to be farmed, and solo laning is perfect for her.

Someone with a CC also makes a good partner. I had success laning against a Pantheon/Shen lane with Kennen because he could continuously stun Pantheon so I could get some hits on him and then we'd eventually kill him.

Generally, if you are on 2v2 bot in a mid-high ELO game or a high ELO game, you're getting babysat by a support hero. This is where you lane with Taric/Janna/Sona etc. You get ALL the creep kills and there really won't be much going on in terms of harassment for a while. It's usually the quiet lane. (If you watched the WCG NA Finals, which was EpiK Gaming vs. Counter Logic Gaming, 2v2 bot had a.. Janna-Miss Fortune lane if I recall correctly. It was a support and MF lane, that's all I can recall. That's the basic idea, let the carry get farmed up and show up with an IE at 15 mins.)

1v2 top (if the enemy has no jungle for some reason):

Play defense. You are not going to have fun laning against them until you get a higher level. Therefore, play it safe for a while and then begin harassing them. Get your presence established. They should be pushing your tower naturally, so if they get cocky and stick around when the tower is about to finish off the minions, use your ultimate and blow them into the tower and get a kill. It's pretty humorous to do so, especially for first blood. This is the most dangerous lane to be in because you cannot extend or you WILL pay. If you overextend, it's 1v3. Good luck on that. Unless you're Dan Dinh, who can do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsqQjaXMrXg

That was a pretty legit arrow, btw.

However, Tristana is better suited for solo mid rather than solo 1v2. Someone like Nidalee should be soloing the 1v2 lane since she has a built in heal. People with heal or a VERY good laning presence (Nasus, Morgana) should also take 1v2 over Tristana, take mid instead.

Mid game:

This is usually after the first tower falls (hopefully due to you of course) and the lane is usually not safe to be farming in due to roaming ganks.

The idea is to farm when it's safe (best done in lanes where the tower is still up). If there is a giant mob heading to a tower, call out that you're getting it. You're the carry, you need farming to be effective, not Rammus over there who can be fine for the most part by just assist gold. Not Janna with her tornadoes. You, the carry.

If lane farming isn't safe, use your jungle to farm. You're a ranged DPS hero, so you should be establishing your control over lizard (red) buff. You can also take blue buff if your team says it's okay, but if you have a Taric/Anivia on your team, let them have it instead. It benefits them so much more.

Teamfights:

tl;dr - If you feed Tristana, she gets a pentakill. End of story.

Tristana doesn't want to be in level 1 team fights, nor does she want to be in a teamfight in the jungle or something when someone gets ganked. You don't do enough damage to be effective. You wanna shine in a team fight after getting that infinity edge. That's when you really shine. You have extremely low base damage, among the lowest in the game. Last hitting is a bit difficult with Trist compared to other heroes, especially higher base damage heroes or people with a nifty passive (like Corki who gets about 8 extra damage on auto attacks early game.)

How do you team fight? Well, the case with any RANGED DPS hero is the positioning in the fight. If you're up front, everybody will focus you, therefore, you will die and your team will probably lose the team fight. Sit in the back behind Amumu while he ults, then come in and kill that Master Yi over there trying to take on your Soraka.

Prioritize the HIGH Damage heroes in a fight. For example, if your bottom lane fed Xin Zhao, and he has 5 Sword of the Occult stacks, focus Xin Zhao over Ashe and Anivia. Once Xin drops, figure out who is hurting your team more, then focus them.

For example, if the enemy comp is this:

Xin Zhao (melee DPS)
Rammus (Tank)
Ashe (Ranged DPS)
Janna (Support / AP)
Anivia (CC Slave / AP)

Figure out who is hurting you the most. Xin Zhao's ultimate is deadly. Get rid of him now. Is Ashe auto attacks + Volley not doing much? Ignore her. Go for Anivia, she can split your team up in a second with her wall and also nuke someone down instantly.

The thing about Tristana is that she has the range to attack people with no problem, and hurt really bad where they can't do anything about it. I ALWAYS come to a team fight prepared. If we're having a turtle standoff in mid, I'm going to bluepill back and buy two elixirs: Fortitude and Agility (The AD/HP one + Crit chance/attack speed one.. aka Red/Green). These will improve both survivability (HP) and your damage output (AD, crit chance, attack speed) in team fights, and as long as you get two kills, the elixirs will pay for themselves right there.

It's pretty difficult to explain through text, but in team fights, the key to SURVIVING is positioning. The reason so many people as a ranged hero in team fights fail is because they're in the wrong spot. If Taric can actually run up to you and use Dazzle, you're doing it wrong. If Ashe has to run through Malphite, Rammus, Olaf and Annie, you're doing it right.

If for some reason you're getting charged at by specific heroes (and yes, I mean specific) then allow me to help you deal with it.

Udyr: Udyr can run at you, use Bear Stance, stun you, and then allow the team free focus. Therefore, you need to use your ult and blow him away. If you are a bit afraid, use Rocket Jump to get into a better position.

Olaf: Olaf has one job: Take out the highest threat hero. That might just be you. He's going to charge through everyone and use his ult, you can't blow him away (I'm not sure how a blow-away counts as a disable.. but okay), so you need to just run for your life. Rocket Jump if it isn't on cooldown. If you're on Vent/Skype/teamchat/mumble, scream "OLAF OLAF OLAF OLAF HELP."

Poppy: Poppy, the most annoying anti-carry in the game.. I swear to God. You really can't deal with her. It's EXTREMELY difficult. If she has her ultimate on, and it's targeting you, run away, somehow. If not, you will die. She will charge, use Q, and your health will disappear. Blow her away with your ultimate and Rocket Jump to safety. Also, buy magic resist. Seriously, it's your only chance at not getting twoshot.

Akali: Akali can also be used as an anti-carry, her damage output is high, and you need to be careful. If she tries getting in your range, blow her away, instantly. If she is blown into your team, make sure they switch focus so they lose a lot of team fight damage, giving you an advantage.

Teemo: Yes, we all know Teemo is a terrible character, however, his blind could be extremely potent in a fight, blinding the enemy carry is VERY good, so the enemy will try to take advantage of this. Therefore, you need to make sure you stay out of range and make sure your team focuses him (mainly to remove "Move Quick" so he can't get to you) and then he dies without doing much in the fight.

End Game

Stick with your team, ALWAYS. Buy wards. Take dragon when it's up. If your team wins a fight but not an ace making it difficult to push, do baron. Push towers. If you're desperate, backdoor if you have damage. Rapid Fire will melt towers much like Master Yi's Highlander. Get double pots when possible and ALWAYS have control of red buff so you can have a perma slow if a teamfight ensues and you get extra damage.

Section 5: Tips and Tricks

1) Buster Shot works while in the air, (Rocket Jump), so take advantage of it.
2) Rocket Jump's cooldown resets on a kill or assist.
3) Explosive Shot and Ignite work together to deal massive damage.
4) Explosive Shot counters heal comps.
5) Explosive Shot reduces potion healing. Use it whenever they pop a potion.
6) Tristana is a good tower diver due to Rocket Jump's cooldown refreshing on kills.
7) Explosive Shot maxed first makes farming easier due to getting more last hits by killing faster with AoE damage.
8) Buster Shot has an extremely low cooldown so don't be afraid to use it offensively. Just use it if you want them to take 300 damage for no apparent reason, then set up a kill when it comes back up.
9) Tristana's range is one of the highest in the game, take advantage of it.
10) Tristana has the biggest margin of error of any ranged DPS hero due to her reliable escape mechanisms (Rocket Jump, and situational - Buster Shot)
11) Nunu's ultimate, Katarina's ultimate, Karthus' ultimate, and every channel in the game can be interrupted with Buster Shot, so before Fiddl-CAWCAWCAWCWACWACAWCAWCAWCWACAWCW *pentakill* You didn't interrupt his channel fast enough! This could potentially win the teamfight if they can't use their teamfight reliant skills. [Thanks Volkner!]

Section 6: The Dos and Don'ts.

DO
[Teamfights]

1) Stand as far away as possible to maximize your damage output while not being in any harm.
2) Utilize Rapid Fire once the teamfight breaks out.
3) Target squishy heroes, especially if they're out of position.
4) [Sometimes] Use your ultimate as a finisher.
5) Use your ultimate to interrupt channels, ones that do damage (Katarina's Death Lotus, Nunu's Absolute Zero, Fiddlestick's Crowstorm, Karthus' Requiem). Thus, increasing your potential to win team fights.
6) Use Rocket Jump to escape.
7) Use Rocket Jump to chase fleeing heroes (assuming the following situation: Fiddlesticks, Ashe, Annie and Shen are dead. Taric is fleeing, you have enough firepower to kill Taric, so Rocket Jump on him to slow and then allow you and your team the luxury of free gold.)
8) Use Rocket Jump to reposition yourself if something goes wrong (X hero is chasing you.)

DO (Laning)

1) Use Explosive Shot to harass.
2) Use Rocket Jump as your initiation skill [or if you need a small amount of damage to guarantee you win the engagement].
3) Follow up Rocket Jump by Buster Shotting them away so they have to run through your auto attacks, OR save Buster Shot if they have an escape route possible if blown away.
4) Use Rapid Fire ONLY for 1v1 engagements (You could do WRQ as your combo, and if you're packing Ignite, throw that in too)
5) Manage your mana, play cautiously after engagement until you have enough mana to throw down another combo.

DON'T[Teamfights]

1) Sit in the front of the fight.
2) Use Rocket Jump into everyone when they're all at full HP.
3) Use Rocket Jump for any reason unless you won the team fight, or you need to get away / reposition.
4) Use Explosive Shot unless you need more DPS on someone, OR there is a heal comp. It does not deal enough damage to be worth using, especially if people start getting some magic resist.
5) Stick around if everyone on your team is dead and the enemy looks like they can kill you.

DON'T [Laning]

1) Use Rapid Fire to "help your farming." The only time I see using RF to farm is when you need to attack that smidge faster to get the last hit at the tower.
2) Use Rocket Jump to farm or harass. [You can use RJ to farm later on when a giant mob is pushing your tower.]
3) Use Explosive Shot on minions.
4) Use Buster Shot on minions.
5) If someone is at low HP, don't use Buster Shot, they'll just bluepill back. If they're at 500 HP, Jump to them, blow them back to where you originally were, then auto attack for the kill.
6) When going to lanes to gank, don't expose yourself. Wait for the opportunity to present itself, run out, jump on them for the slow, blow them back into your partner(s) and then grab a kill.

Section 7: Closing

Thanks for reading! Hopefully this is a helpful guide for people who want to learn Tristana, or maybe even you play her a lot and this helped. Please rate this guide and critique it if you find any issues. I want to improve this and make it become the best Tristana guide on the forums.

Thanks for reading again, please comment and give feedback!

Xtreme217 08-31-2010 07:36 PM

Nice guide! I like it. Some of the extra comments you throw in there are pretty funny, made me laugh a few times. Good job :)

Leirkov 08-31-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtreme217 (Hozzászólás 2682392)
Nice guide! I like it. Some of the extra comments you throw in there are pretty funny, made me laugh a few times. Good job :)

Thanks for the feedback, and most of my comments are just my frustrations of **** Tristanas in solo queue. I always have a heart attack inside because I know I would do a better job. :[

Nryon 08-31-2010 08:11 PM

Love the guide, i am still in the character hunt and have basically just clicked random for some of my games, i play with a group of friends and they are all really random so a little bit of stability would be nice as well as a fun character.
Xtreme is one of em so he might understand. Good guide i look forward to trying it out.

My question is : Do you save your ultimate throughout the game more for saving yourself if you about to get nuked? and what are some more specific/detailed times to use it offensively.

Leirkov 08-31-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosCrysis (Hozzászólás 2682783)
Love the guide, i am still in the character hunt and have basically just clicked random for some of my games, i play with a group of friends and they are all really random so a little bit of stability would be nice as well as a fun character.
Xtreme is one of em so he might understand. Good guide i look forward to trying it out.

My question is : Do you save your ultimate throughout the game more for saving yourself if you about to get nuked? and what are some more specific/detailed times to use it offensively.

It really depends on how the situation presents itself.

For example: You just hit level 6 in laning and you're doing great. You can easily burst them down with the aide of your ultimate. Use it.

For example: You are being chased by Warwick and your jump is on cooldown. You need time to Rocket Jump to safety. Use your ultimate and then jump over a wall.

For example: You are about to lose a team fight. Ult everyone away so your team can get away with little casualties.

For example: You are about to kill someone 1v1, use your ult and then get out of there before help arrives.

It takes time really to get some evaluation going to understand when to use it and when to not. But if you can get a kill out of it - use it. If it'll help you and your team - use it. If it'll help you 1v1 - use it.

One time, I got 1v1ed by DPS Mundo and he was pretty fed. He also carried exhaust and used it on me. I used my ult on him and blew him away, by the time he came back, Exhaust ran out. I beat him in that 1v1 shortly after. :)

berzerk dragon 08-31-2010 08:44 PM

So...I have a few questions.As a fan of your first Tristana guide, This here guide that you've posted completely contradicts it in a couple places. Of note are:

Quote:

I run a 9/21/0 build. Why? Because Tristana is a carry. You know what most carries are? Squishy. Squishy as ****. Many masteries in the defensive tree help you survive. You don't need 6% CDR from 21 utility and with this build, you should be raping enough faces that my mother's uncle will be **** proud of you, so the extra boost in damage from 21 Offensive isn't necessary.
vs.
Quote:

21/0/9

Pretty standard, no reason not to do anything else. Tristana getting more damage to start a game is good, built in crit chance.. etc. If you don't know 21/0/9, please let me know so I can post it for you.
(although I kinda understand where this is coming from due to the update in faceraper)

Quote:

- Start of the game: I grab an HP Pot and a Doran's Shield. Some people take Doran's Blade for the Lifesteal and +damage, but when you focus on last hitting, you aren't going to get the benefit of lifesteal. With Shield's built in HP Regen, you will survive in the laning phase more often.
vs.
Quote:

Starting item: Doran's BLADE. + HP Potion.

"but Leirkov, Doran's Shield gives me HP regen!"

Shut up. Get out of my guide.

Doran's Blade makes it easier to last hit.

"but Leirkov, Doran's Blade gives lifesteal and you don't get any advantage out of it by last hitting only!"

You are bad and should feel bad. Nobody cares about 4% life steal. You're sapping 3 HP per last hit or so, it's not noticable, it helps, but you know what? Doran's Shield doesn't help you last hit at all, and if you want to be good and farm well, you need a Doran's Blade. Seriously, get a Doran's Blade, last hit some, do awesome. Then play with a Doran's Shield and see how low your CS is.
Here, it's even worse. You actively flame your own advice multiple times in that section.

Basically, my question are as follows: Why the sudden change of heart in areas like the above? In fact, why the drastic change in tone from the last guide? This guide is far more ragey and offensive than faceraper; you're starting to sound like Condon and it's kind of depressing to see that people feel the need to yell and berate those who read their guides. Was there a point to posting a new guide for the same champ like this instead of simply updating the old one?

Just curious.

Malvado 08-31-2010 08:52 PM

Very nice guide :)
I use to use Trist alot but twitch is just so much fun
I think i will try her again :D

Leirkov 08-31-2010 08:53 PM

Tbh I probably shouldn't have written faceraper, I wasn't all that hot with Trist back when I wrote it. Since I changed my style, I wrote this, and I want to keep this one up to date. Thanks for being a fan of the other though, lol.

I thought this one was more less-ragey than the other haha.

9/21/0 = I felt I had no AD benefits and no early game advantages. Yes, 21 def gives me a slight advantage but not much else.

21/0/9 gives me AD, AS and other beneficial stats that will help Trist. I always take red buff so the 9 in utility helps me there.

Doran's Shield = useless. I used to think "lifesteal is unnoticable" and then I found higher tier play. (I've played with Dan Dinh on his cousin's high elo account in a premade. Basically, I've also watched HotshotGG and got his opinion on Shield vs Blade. Blade = easier last hits. If you really need to regen, start auto attacking but stop 2-3 hits before so you don't push the lane AS hard and you can still get the last hit in.

Well, not useless.. cause I take it if I'm forced to lane with Bromumu or any tank (Nasus and such), but on AD heroes, Doran's Blade is the way to go.

Basically, to answer your questions, my advice was bad. I got higher experience, and I became a better player. The tone you feel is ehh. I'm trying to keep it loose and not boring sounding. I'm not trying to imitate condon or anything (but if I was I'd call this guide the MFing Tristana :) ) but I feel sometimes you just need a little anger in things to spice it up and get the message across.

Hopefully this answers your question. And also, I don't know the link to my old Faceraper guide, I never bothered updating it or saving it, so.. yeah.

Nryon 08-31-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leirkov (Hozzászólás 2682877)
It really depends on how the situation presents itself.

For example: You just hit level 6 in laning and you're doing great. You can easily burst them down with the aide of your ultimate. Use it.

For example: You are being chased by Warwick and your jump is on cooldown. You need time to Rocket Jump to safety. Use your ultimate and then jump over a wall.

For example: You are about to lose a team fight. Ult everyone away so your team can get away with little casualties.

For example: You are about to kill someone 1v1, use your ult and then get out of there before help arrives.

It takes time really to get some evaluation going to understand when to use it and when to not. But if you can get a kill out of it - use it. If it'll help you and your team - use it. If it'll help you 1v1 - use it.

One time, I got 1v1ed by DPS Mundo and he was pretty fed. He also carried exhaust and used it on me. I used my ult on him and blew him away, by the time he came back, Exhaust ran out. I beat him in that 1v1 shortly after. :)

Ok thx i figured that would be the answer but ill take advice from a player who has played that many games with a character over my own guess. Thx

Leirkov 09-01-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosCrysis (Hozzászólás 2683402)
Ok thx i figured that would be the answer but ill take advice from a player who has played that many games with a character over my own guess. Thx

It just takes experience, it's not always easy to explain. Once you get a few games under your belt and you understand her a lot more, it'll help. :)