League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   As I start my journey through solo ranked queue (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2256056)

BenignFury 06-21-2012 12:13 PM

As I start my journey through solo ranked queue

What if I'm stuck in the support role and have a "deadbeat" team? aka the carry is doing poorly in everything and can hardly last hit. I've noticed the more I play support, the more I see how a poor AD carry plays less than proficiently and I feel useless because I can't really tell him where to be positioned, how to avoid poke or poke the enemy, or make him join in a fight.

Is there any champ that can play in the support role that can sort of "carry" my lane and pick up the slack of a failure carry?
For example, I'm X champion and my carry, like graves, is doing an awful job. Is there a champ I can play as support and decide to change my build if i need to pick up his slack?

TL;DR: Are there any "support" champs that can be rebuilt in case of an AWFUL carry in order to pick up his slack?

(Also, I know the other option would just be to duo queue, but that's not always an option for me)

Sravencross 06-21-2012 12:57 PM

malph can easy. I often play him as support and end up carrying.

BenignFury 06-21-2012 02:41 PM

Thank you! I've wanted to pick up Malph for a while now.

StarxPower 06-21-2012 03:05 PM

Don't play support.

VaporizeX 06-21-2012 03:19 PM

I use nid for this exact reason, use the support tree do buy wards, get gp items but if the carry is horrible and has died 3 or more times in the first 10 mins I start taking cs, one the cs is being wasted on the tower, and two I know we aren't going to keep the tower for a very long time. Might not even be the ad carries fault, some times you are getting ganked from the jungler and mid and none of the players on your team are preventing it. Even had 5 man ganks bot lane when dragon is up so they can secure the dragon then while we are still recovering take bot tower and push tower base if you team is continuing to farm and or not caring you very far behind.

I have tried to carry as soraka, sona, janna, lulu, blitz, ali, and it was possible before all the nerfs to the first 3 characters it was very hard but possible, at this point I dont feel its possible.

Sometimes its better to let your tower go away bot lane so the ad carry can farm closer to the base and enemy team has to overextend to keep the pressure, your bot lane has to keep farming to catch up if you are behind, and to prevent the bot lane from roaming other lanes. Push and run.

LeefAaronsen 06-21-2012 06:20 PM

This is why I play as Kayle. She's extremely versatile in this way.

Doril 06-21-2012 06:50 PM

Personally, I think if your ELO is so low that your ad carry is hopeless (I think in reality, this happens less than people think), you can probably carry the game with any hero period. There was a point where people played mid soraka/janna/taric intentionally.

In my experience, good supports can setup bad carries to get fed enough that their lower skill doesn't matter too much.

KingDavidLe 06-21-2012 07:45 PM

Kayle and Lux are the only ones that pop into mind at the moment.

Meowmix 06-21-2012 08:38 PM

How i got out of low ELO is by forcing my way into carry positions, and duo queing with strong AD carry friends if i want to support. Overall just pick something your strong with even if you have 2 AD carries bot or an AP bot lane. If your meant to be higher rank your skill will carry you out of the 1300s or 1400s or wherever you are. Later on people tend to be more teamlike from what i've experienced

SevenOceans 06-22-2012 01:30 AM

I agree with the choice of Lux. I've also seen people play support as Morgana (Blackshield saves lives). Both of these can be built to dish out quite a bit of damage (not to mention they have nice cc and aoes for team fights) should your carry be not up to par.

Hmm I feel like Alistar would also be a good choice. AP alistar is still extremely tanky, and the burst damage hurts....so....much. Will rape anyone on other team as long as he is in range of a headbutt pulv.

Other than that... you can play Soraka or Janna just so you can babysit your suicidal carry super well.