League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   I'm terrible at League of Legends. (Discussion, and stream!) (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2249751)

dmbrandon 06-20-2012 03:31 PM

I'm terrible at League of Legends. (Discussion, and stream!)

I'm dmbrandon. For those of you who don't know me, I've been traveling the country playing in video game tournaments for years. I've been a top player and theory crafter in a decent amount of games, and have seen a lot of success in making money and solidifying my name a tournament threat.

Despite my achievements in multiple genres, I just don't ****ing understand how to play this game. I don't play ranked, but I assume my Elo would be somewhere in the 1400s. (Given the people that I play with, and my understanding of the game.) Now, I know some players might think 1400-1600 is decent, but I'm of the mindset that anything below 2100~ is basically random.

I mean, the top players are 2500~ in solo queue, and the players who are capable, but have no peaked are at around 2100. These are the *good* players. If you're below that, then you're probably not quite *good* yet. Recently, I've started thinking "Why am I not getting any better?" I mean, I've studied movement, and understanding, I practice a fair amount... I'm just not progressing. Finally, after a few weeks, it hit me.

Playing the game makes you worse, because the inherent nature of the game does not allow one person to get better by themselves. Players have had to create artificial ways to play the game at mid-level successfully. The problem there in lies with my the most populated, and my current ELO. Players are demanded to form bad habits in order to play the game at a reasonable level.

For instance: Instead of players becoming aware, and watching their maps, we've created this MIA system. Like, Ahri is now missing from mid, so instead of farming properly, or addressing possible ganking situations, our mid stops, and types out MIA.

Why?

So that the other players can make themselves ready to become aware. Meaning, other players are auto-piloting their way to mediocrity. They have the option to watch their maps and take advantageous positions in direct relation to their opponents. Instead, they ask that other people do that for them, and they continue to last hit, in hopes of getting a smidge more farm to push their lane out and barely win.

The same goes for team comps. It's been ingrained in us that we MUST play top/adcarry/support/APmid/jungle. Granted, it's the best possible comp on paper, but everything has counters, and new strategies are always popping up. But, because of the nature of the game, and the players who play it, if you differ from the norm in the slightest way, your team brands you as a troll, you're reported, and they AFK. Again, forced into mediocrity.

Now, since Diablo 3 was a ****ing waste of time, I've decided that I'm going to put more effort into League of Legends. I'd say about 90% of my games up until this point have been on Treeline, and the overall slow, campy nature of SR has just never appealed to me. But, with my new mindset and being a competitive player, I've decided that I'm going to truly learn the game, and grind my way up to 2500.

This might take a long time. Months? Years, maybe? Maybe I'm talking out of my ass. Maybe I'll get bored in a week, and quit. Who knows? What I do know, is that I'm motivated. I haven't played all the champs in the game. Not by a long shot. But I have fairly decent control and understanding of the game, at least to the point where I can not get absolutely bodied in every scenario. My true downfall as a player is PATIENCE.

I have Z-E-R-O patience. I need to go in, and I need to do it now. With that said, It's important to note that I'll only really play melee champs. I bought a few AP champs like Ahria nd Ziggs, but my heart lies in chasing ****, and destroying it.

Currently, I'm playing:

• Top:
    Tryndamere, Jax, Garen, Fiora
  • Jungle:
    Tryndamere, Jax, Fiora, Lee Sin, Master Yi
  • AD Carry:
    I'm terrible at carry. omg.
  • Mid:
    Same as AD Carry. I just don't get it. I have a decent amount of skill with Ahri, but no one else.
  • Support:
    Alistar, Leona, Gangplank

Obviously, I need a wider array of Champs to become viable at post 1500 ELO play. That, hopefully, will come with time. Tonight, I'm going to start streaming (Hopefully on a nightly basis) in hopes of forcing myself to become a good player. I'll be updating this thread when I stream, or when I feel a poster (if there is one) has made a relevant enough point to change my mind about an idea.

I want to be successful with this game. I think the burden of knowledge is a bit high, but it's no less than frame data in fighting games, so it shouldn't be all that difficult.

I'm really interested in customs, as well. If you have a 5v5 team, or a group of people that plays regularly, I would love to get some scrims going. You learn the best by playing people who also want to learn!

Otherwise, please tune in and follow on twitch! I was awarded a partnership for a charity event that I ran for Diablo, and would like to keep it! I need viewers and such for that.

I'll try my best to provide insight on how I'm going to improve. My group of friends I regularly play with are all *decent* and they're pretty fun guys, so it should be pretty entertaining.

Twitch.tv/dmbrandon

<3

dmbrandon 06-20-2012 04:21 PM

bump. real team going!

Middle or Adc 06-20-2012 04:36 PM

It's so funny how everything u've said i've thought in my head at one point haha

Escobar Burrito 06-20-2012 05:02 PM

To be honest Tryn is never banned in top games for a reason. He's easy to counter, at least in my opinion. Opposition gets some thornmails and watch tryn kill himself. He can be an effective jungler, but late game in a team fight, in a close game, I would prefer the dps to come from a different champ. I think you could do better solo top with someone else. I mean if you like playing top, pick a champ with more health sustain like Sion, Mundo or Volibear, ect. If you don't like the more classic range carries, try Vayne out, she might be more your style.

Ribbwich 06-20-2012 05:21 PM

Maybe if you try a more wide selection of champs - and play them co-op vs AI or custom you can better diversify your champ selection or find a champ that really matches your play style. :D Im not very good either, but, ya know. Whatever.

dmbrandon 06-20-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escobar Burrito (Hozzászólás 25753929)
To be honest Tryn is never banned in top games for a reason. He's easy to counter, at least in my opinion. Opposition gets some thornmails and watch tryn kill himself. He can be an effective jungler, but late game in a team fight, in a close game, I would prefer the dps to come from a different champ. I think you could do better solo top with someone else. I mean if you like playing top, pick a champ with more health sustain like Sion, Mundo or Volibear, ect. If you don't like the more classic range carries, try Vayne out, she might be more your style.

I know. He suits me well, and he's a good catalyst for me to understand the mechanics of the game. That alongside making better overall decision making!

dmbrandon 06-20-2012 07:33 PM

bump! stream is up!

dmbrandon 06-21-2012 06:51 AM

Trying my first ranked games in over a year!

Would love some help on this one. heh. (and I know I play bad champs.)

dmbrandon 06-21-2012 09:30 AM

4-0 so far on my placement games. Come check it out!

Twitch.tv/dmbrandon

Jokapwn 06-21-2012 10:08 AM

You seem motivated enough to get to the top. Keep it up man. I play competitive gaming just for fun because it suits my style. However, I am by no means a hardcore competitor. I just like the casual games here and there. But from my 1200+ games that Ive played alongside my better friends, and gamers, the only advice I can probably give is to never get frustrated and still treat it like a game to have fun. :D