League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] Kog'Maw, because Cho'Gath couldn't feast fast enough (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=222009)

Zuulkra 08-25-2010 08:33 PM

[Guide] Kog'Maw, because Cho'Gath couldn't feast fast enough

Foreward

I play Kog'Maw as an attack speed build because it has high range and really great percent health damage. It (and I say it because I'm not looking. Period) is a great support for your team for killing tanks, and if the opposing team has no tanks, then you're just as good at standing back and nuking high damage players, or getting them as they are running away.

Masteries

Offense: 9
1/3 Deadliness
3/3 Argmage's Savvy (for some additional damage with your spells, though you are not AP)
4/4 Sorcery
1/1 Archaic Knowledge

Defense: 0

Utility: 21
3/3 Preservence
1/1 Haste
4/4 Awareness
3/3 Meditation
2/2 Utility Mastery
3/3 Quickness
1/1 Blink of an Eye
3/3 Intelligence
1/1 Presence of the Master

I chose a 9/0/21 build because the way attack speed functions you do not need to spend the extra points in the offense tree to get the 5% damage, and other benefits, but going down far enough for the 15% magic penetration is a must. Putting your other 21 points into the utility tree gives you 3% movement speed which helps you kill and avoid getting killed and some mana regeneration because you do not have any other source of mana. At the bottom is 15% reduction in cooldowns for summoner spells which is very handy as Kog'Maw considering your only escape mechanisms are Ghost and Flash (which you should have taken the improved versions of, giving you an already lowered Flash CD and improved Ghost). Additionally, in the utility tree you will find +30% duration on monster buffs. Since you are not ability power you will have low mana regen so the golem buff, along with giving you cooldown reduction, will give you almost infinite mana to slow and slay your enemies. The lizard buff is key though, it gives you an additional bit of damage to every hit which will be massive when you are hitting two times per second AND a slow which is amazing before you get Frozen Mallet.

Runes

I went with health seals and quintessences to improve your survivability late game because until you get your frozen mallet you will be targeted as one of the more squishy characters on your team. For marks and glyphs I chose attack speed because, especially early in the game, having that bonus attack speed will help you kill towers and destroy enemies while you have your Bio-Arcane Barrage active.

Summoner Spells

I go full mobility because Kog'Maw has almost no way to escape enemies, and no way to catch up if you have almost killed them and your Bio-Arcane Barrage has run out. Flash and Ghost accomplish almost any movement needs you have, whether it is flashing over jungle walls to escape hordes of enemies or ghosting to catch up to Ashe as she runs away with a delicious single bar of health left.

Class Spells

Order
1 - Bio-Arcane Barrage
2 - Caustic Spittle
3 - Bio-Arcane Barrage
4 - Void Ooze
5 - Bio-Arcane Barrage
6 - Living Artillery
7 - Bio-Arcane Barrage
8 - Caustic Spittle
9 - Bio-Arcane Barrage
10 - Caustic Spittle
11 - Living Artillery
12 - Caustic Spittle
13 - Caustic Spittle
14 - Void Ooze
15 - Void Ooze
16 - Living Artillery
17 - Void Ooze
18 - Void Ooze

Passive: Icathian Surprise

Upon death your character becomes invulnerable for four seconds and after those four seconds you explode and deal 100+(25*Lvl) damage to nearby enemies (both creeps and champions).

Don't rely on this ability for kills, but it is really nice if you almost kill someone and happen to be able to run up and explode them. Sometimes they even get really pissed and /all about how it needs to be nerfed. :P

Caustic Spittle [Q]

Passive: Increases Attack Speed by 10/15/20/25/30%
Active: Deals 60/110/160/210/260 +(70% Ability Power) damage to the target as well as reducing their armor by 5/10/15/20/25.

I use this only if I really need to smash whoever I am killing, the bonus 260+ damage at level 18 is nice along with the minor amount of bonus damage from the armor reduction. The range isn't super long so don't try to use it too often, you are usually better off just decimating people from far away with your Bio-Arcane Barrage.

Bio-Arcane Barrage [W]

On use causes your attacks to have an increased 140/180/220/260/300 unit range as well as making your attacks do an additional 2/3/4/5/6 (+1% of your AP)% of the target's health in damage. This effect lasts for six seconds.

This is your primary ability. Use this to both harass and scrape enemies in battles. Paired with your Madred's Bloodrazor, Wit's End, lizard buff and Sword of the Divine you will be doing absurd amounts of damage on each hit, at an extremely long range. Because of its low mana cost you can use Bio-Arcane Barrage to harass early game as well, and potentially even get off some early kills.

Void Ooze [E]

Sprays ooze in front of you at a fairly long range which deals 60/110/160/210/260+(70% AP) to any enemies it passes through. Additionally it slows enemies who pass through the trail left behind by 28/36/44/52/60% of their movement speed.

This ability is great paired with your Bio-Arcane Barrage and a teammate's stun. Having your enemies slowed along with your increased range allows you to stand still and attack with no movement in between for a few seconds while your enemy is trying to flee.

Ultimate: Living Artillery [R]

You fire an artillery ooze at an incredible range (1400/1700/2000) which falls after a short delay dealing 80/120/160 + (30% AP) magic damage and reveals targets for 4 seconds. Damage to champions is increased by 150%. Every subsequent cast within 6 seconds costs an additional 50 mana, up to a maximum of 250 additional mana.

This is a great ability for killing fleeing foes who have managed to escape your spit storm, revealing potentially trapped bushes and farming minions when you need a bit more area damage. Do not use this as your main source of damage... it is good harassment, but it comes at a high cost if you are spamming it.

Items

Start off with a Dagger and one health potion. Having the bonus attack speed will get you to about 1 attack per second by level 2 which will help you with killing minions and champions. Next you should finish off Berserker greaves. They are cheap, give good bonuses for you and fill your movement slot until you can afford elixirs.

Now you get into the real items. Begin with a Recurve Bow to start building your Madred's Bloodrazor. Try to stay in lane until you have enough, but if you have to go back before you can complete your Madred's then go ahead and pick up either of the two other components. Madred's Bloodrazor is key to your face smashing. Combined with the lizard buff and Bio-Arcane Barrage you will be melting through players' health.

Next I go for either Sword of the Divine or Wit's End. If there are lots of dodge type characters or if there are more than one characters with no mana on the other team go ahead and get your Sword of the Divine instead of Wit's End, though it does have less of an add to your damage per hit on mana using characters. Next get Frozen Mallet after your Phage. Boom extra health and a slow so you don't need lizard buff as much to kill people.

Now get new boots. Sell those silly Berserker Greaves and buy either Sorcerer's Shoes or Mercury Treads (in the case that there are lots of CCs on the other team).

After your boots you have some flexibility. I have been getting Guardian Angel and Atma's Impaler. Atma's will give you an extra 60 damage or so against all character types which will help you melt faces a bit faster at the end of the game. If you end up getting focused A LOT then either get Warmog's if there is still time to build it up or get Banshee's Veil if you need to be avoiding stuns and such. You should also be buying Elixirs of Agility to supplement your Attack speed, bringing you up to 2.48 at level 18.

Gameplay

Try to lane not in the middle. While Kog'Maw is great middle, it is more useful for tank spanking on one of the side lanes. It makes a great combination with almost any characters. Pairing with ranged who have slows or stuns is a lot of fun, generally allowing some very early game kills.

If you end up opposing healers do not fret! You will out-damage almost any healer very early on in the game if you and your partner focus fire their dps. With your ridiculously large range and slowing effect and your partner's hopefully not too bad damage you should be able to bring down anyone in a matter of seconds.

Generally I play Kog'Maw very offensively, using Bio-Arcane Barrage to harass every time I can. It is very effective to combine your Void Ooze with your Bio-Arcane Barrage. Your enemies will most likely stand there and hit you for a moment before deciding that they cannot actually out damage you and your partner, at which point they will try to escape... but no, they have been slowed and are about to have their corpse feasted on. However, make sure you do not over-extend yourself. Even with Ghost and Flash Kog'Maw can be very squishy early game (however, once you are dead, you can always go blow them up!).

Now that you are level six with some good attack speed you should be able to harass very well with your ultimate, Living Artillery. Make sure that you do not use all of your mana for it because when you have your enemy at half health you will want to Bio-Arcane Barrage and Void Ooze them into a pulp. This is the major set-back of this build on Kog'Maw is his early game mana consumption. Eventually you will want to get the golem buff which will give you enough mana regeneration to spam your Living Artillery all day.

As you approach level 9-12 you will probably start grouping with your team and pushing lanes as a group of 3-5. Your job is to stand back, slow, and omgdestroy tanks (or DPS if there are no tanks there). Use Caustic Spittle if you are group fighting with a physical damage player as it will improve their damage output, if not then don't bother getting close to enemies because you are squishy!

Late in the game you will be grouped with at least four of your teammates which will hopefully give you some buffer and allow you to stand still and nuke players. Use your Living Artillery to check bushes, deal damage before fights start, and to kill fleeing characters. When fights do break-out go for the highest health players in order to demoralize their team (as they see their tank transformed into nothing but goo in a matter of seconds they will not be very interested in coming any closer) and to, of course, destroy their tank.

Remember that many people under-estimate the range on your Bio-Arcane Barrage so you can rush in, void ooze, and pop it to decimate their health. Rarely will they have time to run away.

Ghost and Flash will become increasingly crucial in late game as the damage intake will become higher and higher. Using your Flash well to escape death and your ghost to get away as well will make or break your game.

Neutral Monster Buffs

As previously mentioned, you should be grabbing the neutral monster buffs whenever you can. By level six or seven, possibly eight or nine if you are having a slow game, you should have enough power to drop the golem or lizard without taking substantial damage. These buffs, especially the lizard buff, are going to vastly improve your ability to feast on the tears of your foes... and the rest of them as well.

Forgive me if some of the information is out of date, I just pulled it over from my MOBAfire post which I am still updating, and will update this as I do that one

Zuulkra 08-25-2010 09:24 PM

If you are going to down rate please post like... reasons so I may further improve my build. I have not had any issues with it recently (in-fact since the patch this build has become even more powerful than it has previously been) and so I am not sure what to change. Thanks.

Huezao bierre 08-25-2010 10:54 PM

Good guide. Pretty much how Ive been playing my Kog'maw (just started using him, love him). This will be a good reference point for people who want to start playing him. +1.

:)

Numbat 08-26-2010 07:51 AM

I wouldn't suggest boots of mobility. The instant you deal damage in any form (especially your ult) you slow yourself down and gimp your ability to chase a target. Moreover, if you get hit you still lose that speed buff so it gimp's your ability to flee as well. The only thing BoM are good for is changing lanes pretty much.

Boots of Swiftness are probably the better option if you need the extra speed.

You should also probably consider sorc boots. Magic penetration will help your BAB damage a whole lot if you don't need the speed or the merc treads. Probably more than zerker greaves ever did.

Also, caustic spittle no longer drops the passive when you use it.

Zuulkra 08-26-2010 09:51 AM

Hey Num,

I actually did mean swiftness when I wrote mobility, but thanks for pointing that out I'll change it.

I was not aware that Magic Resistance affects BAB... so I think I will be reworking to fit those in, more damage is more useful than more speed in almost any game.

As for Caustic Spittle, that is just an outdated part of the guide, thanks for pointing that out. =).

matt891 08-26-2010 09:58 AM

Personally getting madreds as your first item doesnt seem the best idea, its more effective later in the game when higher health comes in to play. May i suggest a phage before the madreds? the slow really helps, even at a 25% chance, plus the extra health helps with early survivability. also, attack/magic pen in red would probably go better, most of the time your chasing people with your vomit of doom and dont get full use of attack speed. Madreds and beserker greaves will usually be sufficient, if not a last whisper can sometimes be helpful.

Personally i go:
meki + hp pots
bezerker greaves
phage
madreds
frozen mallet

then the rest is situational. Bloodthirster for survival vs sustained damage, BV vs casters etc.

Zuulkra 08-26-2010 10:09 AM

Matt I don't build zerker greaves anymore because of the patch; with SOTD and Madred's you will cap out your AS with an elixir.

I build Madred's earlier because it gives you enough AS to be useful and also makes you do enough damage to be useful. The sooner you get 2.2 attack speed and start shredding enemies (which is really fast now with the buff to Caustic Spittle) the sooner you are able to make the difference in team fights, or deal damage even before team fights begin, bringing enemy tanks to half their health in a matter of hits.

I think that either SOTD or Wit's End are a must, regardless of the situation (except for the situation that causes you to choose one over the other). The bonus damage is going to make or break your game, not to mention SOTD's active which can nullify Jax or dodge tanks.

Numbat: Do you go down to magic pen in your mastery build?

matt891 08-26-2010 10:18 AM

usually my games revolve around either me chasing an enemy down a lane or waiting for my cd's, personally i dont go deep into AS as most of that is lost. May try it with this approach next time, although i find the AS from boots and madreds alone to be enough, just curious, what AS do you hit after you get all your items? with runes included.

IndomitusRex 08-26-2010 10:42 AM

I don't really care for your item choices. While I always build a Madred's, it's not great for a first item because (as others have said) you don't get the most out of the 4% health proc on it till late game. An early Madred's Razors works fine, as it helps you farm, but it's not worth the expense early for the Bloodrazor.

You seem to be building Kog'maw attack speed... and that's it. Whlie awesome, Bio-Arcane Barrage doesn't have total up-time. Also, I feel Living Artillery is too good to not support at least in some way. My core items for Kog'maw are Madred's Bloodrazor, Nashor's Tooth, and Guinsoo's Rageblade. The Guinsoo's is a nice economical damage increase that provides everything that Kog'maw would want. The Nashor's provides a nice chunk of AP, huge CDR (which helps keep BAB up more), and a bit of mana regen, so you're not counting the seconds till Golem comes back up (or cursing your team for stealing it on you).

After that a Frozen Mallet then either a Banshee's Veil or a Guardian Angel. Swiftness Boots are my usual choice (Mercs are also a valid choice).

I'd never really thought too much about Sword of the Divine before (I tend to shy away from active ability items, cept for Ghostblade and Randuin's). My only problem with it would be that adding it on to my item selection would probably hyper-saturate me on attack speed .

Zuulkra 08-26-2010 11:01 AM

matt - I hit 2.3 with SOTD/Runes/Madreds and regular boots. If I elixir it caps or at least gets like 2.45.
I choose high AS because in team fights you won't be moving, and you get to be far behind your team so you won't have to move and fight at the same time.... allowing you to smoke players before they even think to run.

Indomitus - You missed the part where each attack does 6% from BAB + 4% from Madreds + 42 from wits end or 25 from SOTD + 60 from Atma's Impaler + 40 from Lizard + 150 from basic attack damage... totaling at between 275 and 292 plus 10% of the enemy's HP.... hitting 2.4 times per second that generally kills people pretty fast. Even without BAB you are still hitting ridiculously hard for such high attack speed and range.

I get Madred's first because even at 1200 HP 4% of their HP is still better than Wit's End's 42 damage (almost; and generally people get 1200 HP pretty early on into the game). It also gives you +damage and a small amount of armor.

I don't go with Nashor's anymore because if I have not already melted a person or two by the time my BAB is down I should be running anyways because they will focus you as soon as they figure out you are the one decimating their team.

As for GAngel, I agree. It is a great item for Kog because you have so few escape mechanisms, and when you start getting ff'd down you will have an extra buffer there... not to mention the slight deterrent from the sprite.