League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Best Runes for General Tanking? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2198942)

MissCheerilee 06-09-2012 11:09 AM

Best Runes for General Tanking?

I'm looking to complete my compliment of runes (I have 6300 IP saved up for new champs I might interested in), so I would like to know what class of runes is best to get Health runes in?

Is getting Health Runes in Marks at all worth it? Or is there something else I should consider?

XCodes 06-09-2012 12:53 PM

If you have a tanky hero, you're almost guaranteed to be better off with APen or MRPen marks. The tiny amount of HP you can get from marks is just too trivial to bother with, while with APen and lifesteal you can leech more with autoattacks.

Lolitsrenzo 06-09-2012 01:09 PM

HP runes are good for tanks that use health in their abilities whether it's scaling the damage off of their max HP, or using some HP to use the ability. For example, Dr. Mundo could use HP runes because his all of his abilities require HP, but I personally just take MR and Armor runes when I play a tanky jungle or top.

cpandarun 06-09-2012 05:48 PM

I find movespeed quints very helpful for initiation. Other than that reds are you're biggest choice where armor/magic pen or defensive runes are good choices.

Kaoelith 06-11-2012 05:35 PM

most tanks use any of the combination of the following runes

marks: mpen, arp, attack speed, armor
seals: armor, hp/lvl
glyphs: flat mr or mr/lvl, flat cdr
quints: hp, movespeed, armor, gold/10

marks depends on what role you are, arp/mpen for top, armor or as for jungle
seals is really just does your champ need hp for damage. ex shen
glyphs is almost always mr of some type, depends on opponent
cdr is used rarely on tanks like ali/blitz
quints: the hp is same as seals
armor for junglers like rammus malph and mundo
gold/10 is for laning support tanks
movespeed is normally for everyone else or junglers like naut/sej who don't really benefit from more armor

Powerstoned 06-12-2012 12:02 AM

Flat armor seals and MR per lvl glyphs are the core tanking runes.

I personally always use move speed quints for tanks, and either armpen or mpen marks depending on whether im ad or ap.

Neko V 06-12-2012 12:44 AM

HP/level seals give about twice as much as glyphs or marks.

Keep in mind, though, that the damage reduction granted by a point of armor or magic resist is effectively the same as increasing your health by 1%. A full set of HP/level seals grants 175 HP at level 18. That's the equivalent of 10 armor and magic resist with 1750 HP, or 6 points of each at 3000 HP. I wouldn't go with HP runes unless you're planning to build Atma's on someone.

Nexus Crawler 06-12-2012 06:42 AM

General Tanking runes typically look like ..

Reds - Flat Armor
Yellows - Flat Armor
Blues - Scaling MR
Quints - Flat HP/GP10/Flat Armor/Flat HP5

General Off-Tanking Runes typically look like ...

Reds - MrPen/ArPen
Yellow - Flat Armor/HP@18
Blue - MR@18
Quints - Flat HP/MS/Flat Armor (occationally ArPen, Attack Speed, Flat HP5, etc)

Now I'm being pretty general here. In the above examples those are mostly what you would see if you looked up high ranking ELO players and looked at their rune pages. However keep in mind the reasons why you should take a specific rune set. Yes they're to increase your overall effectiveness but also to shore up weak spots in your item prioritization, farming, laning, or any where else you may find yourself with issues.

Aikimiller 06-12-2012 07:29 AM

Pretty much what everyone else says.

I will mention that if you plan on jungling, you need to have AS reds, and flat armor yellows (there are very few junglers that don't use this setup, tank or no).

If you're laning as a tank, then your reds depend on what sort of damage you do when harassing. If you harass with magic damage, then MPen, with physical then ArPen. Later game matter less, because early game harass will allow you to establish lane dominance (e.g. if you build atmogs on Shen, you deal a lot of physical late game, but your early game harass is still mostly magic damage, so you should have MPen.)

GlazierFox 12-31-2012 03:59 PM

l