League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] Rammus, the Armordillo (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=21868)

Inukshuk 10-29-2009 07:29 PM

[Guide] Rammus, the Armordillo

LAST UPDATED: 12/20/2009

Rammus, the Armordillo

Lore:
The dangerous magic that dominates the Plague Lands has an effect on all life within its confines. Rammus is a living example. No one is entirely certain how an armadillo from the Shurima Desert made his way through the Kumungu Jungle - much less unharmed - but he did just that. Caught in a burst of wild magic, Rammus began to evolve. In the matter of a week, he was man-sized and a week after that he had achieved sentience. The question became, what now? There really wasn't a place in the world for a sentient armadillo - except in the League of Legends. His new form was certainly equipped to fight, and especially to defend. However, it was Rammus' newfound sense of humor that led him to craft an outrageous suit of armor to go over his natural protection - giving birth to the fearsome Armordillo!

Rammus is a tough nut to crack on the field of battle. His spiked shell not only protects him, it causes damage to those that attack him. His wicked sense of humor gives him the ability to taunt his foes into recklessly attacking him, putting them at a defensive disadvantage. Rammus' armadillo heritage also comes out to play as he curls into a ball and launches himself at his foes with tremendous force. He can also curl up to simply maximize his armor, making him very difficult to harm. Rammus also possesses the unusual mystical ability to cause the earth beneath him to rumble, harming nearby enemies - and structures.

Make fun of his name, make fun of his armor, and Rammus will laugh. But he will still lay you out!

================================================== ========

Introduction:
Rammus is an amazing champion, his defense makes his attacks stronger and his value to any team high. He is (like any good tank) the initiator, he can distract enemy champions if an ally is in danger or he can run down an injured enemy. If played right, Rammus can absorb most everything the enemy champs and a turret have to throw at him. This guide will outline how to play Rammus as he was intended to be played, a tank with bite!

Skills:
Passive: Spiked Shell – Converts 25% of Rammus' armor into damage

Q: Powerball – This skill is great for chasing down enemy champions due to your increased movement and the slow it induces. Its also great for clearing a big pack of minions.

W: Defensive Ball Curl – Coupled with Rammus' passive ability this skill increases defense, damage, and causes damage to anyone attacking you.

E: Puncturing Taunt – Taunt is Rammus' best ability. Use this on champs near turrets to end the fight fast, or use it to help an ally get away.

R: Tremors – Similar in mechanics to Fiddlesticks ultimate, but without the flash, basic AoE damage.

I usually get Powerball first, then never again until I have to. I max Puncturing Taunt first, throwing points in Defensive Ball Curl when I can't throw points in Puncturing Taunt or Tremors. Of course, you should always put points into Tremors when you can.

For an exact build I go something like:
1.Q – 2.E – 3.W – 4.E – 5.E – 6.R – 7.E – 8.W – 9.E – 10.W – 11.R – 12.Q – 13.W – 14.W – 15.Q – 16.R – 17.Q – 18.Q

Item Build #1:
Doran's Shield (pick up when the game starts)
(+130 Health ¤ +9 Amor ¤ +8 Health Regen per 8s)
Ninja Tabi/Mercury Treads (If you're playing against melee/If you're playing against casters)
(+25 Armor ¤ +11% Dodge / +35 Magic Resistance ¤ -40% Movement inhib)
Guardian Angel
(+75 Armor ¤ +40 Magic Resistance ¤ Revives you on death)
Frozen Heart
(+110 Armor ¤ +500 Mana ¤ Reduces Cooldowns and the attack speed of nearby enemy champs by 25%)
Aegis of Legion
(+300 Health ¤ Aura: +25 Armor ¤ +25 Magic Resistance ¤ +10 Damage)
Banshee's Veil
(+500 Health ¤ +400 Mana ¤ +60 Magic Resistance ¤ Blocks a spell every 30s)
Warden's Mail
(+90 Armor ¤ +25 Health Regen per 5s ¤ Chance on beng hit to slow enemy movement and attack speed by 35%)

For me the Aegis of Legion and the Banshee's Veil are interchangeable in their order. If you have a lot of caster enemies and not enough magic resistance then reverse the order.

Leave the sunfire capes to Amumu. For Amumu the sunfire cape is amazing, it complements his abilities and him as a champion. While Rammus can benefit from it as well, it should not take priority over anything on this list.

“But the sunfire cape adds 500 HP and 50 def on top of the AoE damage!”

While this is true, you could do a lot better with your gold. In the end you'll be better off not getting the Sunfire Cape at all than if you were to replace any of the items on the list with it. Defense makes Rammus stronger, in his case the best offense is defense :)

Item Build #2:
-Regrowth Pendant/Meki Pendant (pick up whichever)
(+14 Health Regen per 5s / +7 Mana Regen per 5s)
Ninja Tabi/Mercury Treads (another good option is the Boots of Swiftness)
(+25 Armor ¤ +11% Dodge / +35 Magic Resistance ¤ -40% Movement inhib)
Philosopher's Stone
(+22.5 Health Regen per 5s ¤ +10 Mana Regen per 5s ¤ +5 Gold Generated per 10s)
Guardian Angel
Leviathan
(+215 Health ¤ Your champion gains 37.5 health per stack, receiving 2 stacks for a kill or 1 stack for an assist. This effect can stack 20 times; you lose a third of your stacks if you die. At 20 stacks, your champion takes 15% less damage.)
Aegis of Legion
Frozen Heart
(+110 Armor ¤ +500 Mana ¤ Reduces Cooldowns and the attack speed of nearby enemy champs by 25%)
Banshee's Veil
(+500 Health ¤ +400 Mana ¤ +60 Magic Resistance ¤ Blocks a spell every 30s)

Again, get the Banshee's Veil sooner if needed. This order has worked well for me in most cases. I added this option because I felt Rammus needed a more regen and health focused option. Either option will do, it really all depends on the person pulling the strings, you, and the other team's make up.

Item Build #3:
-Meki Pendant
(+7 Mana Regen per 5s)
Chalice
(+35 Magic Resist ¤ +7.5 Mana Regen per 5s ¤ +1% Regen per 1% Mana Missing)
Boots of Swiftness
(Move 3 Boots)
Guardian Angel
Frozen Heart (Or Banshee's Veil)
Aegis of Legion
Warmog's Armor (Or the Leviathan, up to you)
(+770 Health ¤ +30 Health Regen per 5s ¤ Passive: Kills increase Health and Health Regen rate to a max of +450 Health and +62.5 Health Regen per 5s)

With this one I address two things that are wrong with Rammus. Simply by adding the Chalice you add a very good Mana Regen item and some ever needed Magic Resistance. This is a good build for those evenly mixed teams.

As always, you may consider swapping something out for the Banshee's Veil. I've also been known to rush the Warmog's after I buy the Frozen Heart and getting the Aegis of Legion last.

Summoner Abilities:
When I play, my mind is usually on supporting. I initiate the fights but if an ally is getting hit hard I usually taunt the enemy champs off of my allies, so I naturally take heal. I also find that Fortify is incredibly irreplaceable for added defense (also great to use in conjunction with taunt near a turret).
So my suggestions are Heal and Fortify, however I would also suggest Exhaust or Ghost along with, or without, Fortify.

Masteries:
Unless you plan on playing one champion solely I find this section to be a bit useless. However, Rammus is the only champ I play anymore so this is what I've done:

Offensive Tree: (0 pts)

Defensive Tree: (22 pts)
Resistance 3/3
Hardiness 3/3
Evasion 4/4
Strength of Spirit 3/3
Nimbleness 1/1
Harden Skin 3/3
Veteran's Scars 4/4
Tenacity 1/1

Utility Tree: (8 pts)
Perseverance 3/3
Good Hands 1/3
Awareness 4/4

If it means that much to you, you can shave a point off somewhere for Greed in the utility tree, personally I don't find Greed to be that important.

Runes:
Rammus is a tank of low health (about 2550 at max level and full gear) but high armor, so I would suggest health, health regen, mana, mana regen and magic resistance runes. It should be known that Rammus' main weakness lies in his magic resistance (which, depending on your opponents, can mean nothing or everything). DO NOT add any attack power runes, if you feel like you are lacking in the damage department then play another champ OR add armor runes, 25% of which will translate into damage; that being said, don't add damage or armor runes unless you have no other runes available to you.

Strategy:
Early Game (1-6)
This should be the only time you die. Early game you'll want to stay close to your partner or near a turret and let the enemy champions push, try to taunt one near your turret. If you're playing against ranged champions taunting them into turret range may be a bit difficult. Don't be afraid to harass with powerball, just make sure you don't get shut down too often or you will be playing catch up for the rest of the game.

Mid Game (7-12)
You should have some solid defense now (you should have your boots by now and maybe a piece or two of the Guardian Angel) and you can begin initiating. Make sure you stick with your team, do not wander off alone but jungle when things are dead. Keep an eye on your allies health in the team battles, you may need to taunt to save a life. Always make sure you use defensive ball curl and tremors in conjunction with taunt. Also, powerball is a great way to initiate any fight, so keep that in mind.

Late Game (13-18)
By now you should be pretty much unkillable (totally not a real word), and even if you do die you should have that nifty guardian angel. Your job is to initiate, I cannot stress this enough! If there are no creeps and you and your allies are staring down a turret, don't wait, pop your defensive ball curl and take that turret down! Remember, you are the team tank and you have the ability to pull enemies off of your allies and absorb monstrous amounts of damage.

Conclusion:
Rammus doesn't have the most health but he doesn't need it either. With ample defense, made greater with a cool down, your health will be going no where. Coupled with the right runes, Rammus is a force to feared. Enemies will eventually give up trying to kill you or they will focus fire you and get killed off by your allies while you eat their pitiful attacks. However, you must be weary of casters at all times! If the enemy team is made up of casters build up your magic resistance, rush the Veil and make sure you have the Mercury Treads ASAP.

I am open to any constructive feedback and opinions... I'll even read what you trolls write :)

~Inukshuk

HowlingKommando 10-30-2009 06:03 AM

Rammus currently feels a bit weak without runes and with a low level Summoner since his reliance on mana regen boosts was much more significant than compared with other characters.

I recommend Banshee's Veil for Rammus. Rammus is very vulnerable without curl on and the mana increase is significant.

I'll also throw out a recommendation on Fortify instead of Teleport for Rammus. Powerball can be used for some decent map mobility and since Rammus' farming ability is fairly limited, Fortify will help your team defend that much more.

Cleanse is a possible replacement for Heal. You'll be much more vulnerable early game, but harder to kill mid-late game.

Inukshuk 10-30-2009 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowlingKommando (Hozzászólás 241016)
Rammus currently feels a bit weak without runes and with a low level Summoner since his reliance on mana regen boosts was much more significant than compared with other characters.

I recommend Banshee's Veil for Rammus. Rammus is very vulnerable without curl on and the mana increase is significant.

I'll also throw out a recommendation on Fortify instead of Teleport for Rammus. Powerball can be used for some decent map mobility and since Rammus' farming ability is fairly limited, Fortify will help your team defend that much more.

Cleanse is a possible replacement for Heal. You'll be much more vulnerable early game, but harder to kill mid-late game.

While I disagree with Rammus being very vulnerable without curl (I admit he is more vulnerable) I do agree with your suggestion of the banshee's veil. Although your item build should be tailored to the enemy team I do think banshee's veil is best, especially since Rammus' weakness lies in his magic resist.

As for Fort and Cleanse over Teleport and Heal, I play supportish... Both fort and cleanse are great on Rammus. I also find that without runes, using powerball to move about the map can drain your mana too quickly.

Also, Rammus is very rune dependant imo, once runes come back into the equation Rammus will be a lot more playable than he is now. The same could be said for any champion really tho.

Thanks for your feedback!

Mirth the Decisive 10-31-2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inukshuk (Hozzászólás 241130)
Also, Rammus is very rune dependant imo, once runes come back into the equation Rammus will be a lot more playable than he is now. The same could be said for any champion really tho.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. I used to play Rammus as my main when runes were around, but now with no armor/magic resistance in the beginning and no late game MP regen runes he is painful to play. I have to hang way back early because I'm always near death and late game I never have enough MP because I'm too poor to buy the things I need.

Once runes come back I'll come back to him. For now it's painful how useless he is early.

HowlingKommando 10-31-2009 12:37 PM

He's still playable. You just have to watch your mana more than before and get an item that gives mana, such as Banshee's.

ColdBlooded 11-05-2009 06:19 AM

chalice works wonders for his mana.

Rammus is vulnerable early, but with doran's, you shouldn't be afraid of hanging banck and last hitting, even vs ranged.

Lord Bender 11-05-2009 06:51 AM

hands up for chalice, its stupidle good item and almost everyone should use it and rammus have 3 active spells so he needs lots of mana if you want harass, chase, escape defend

i also like thornmail for its cheapness and good anti carry potential

i would go

chalice
boots (tabi/mercury)
thornmail
banshee ( if there are lots of casters)
aegis of lion
frozen heart
or
guardian angel

not bad idea for early farming is mandreds razor dmg,armor and creep farming

sephofdeath 11-05-2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Bender (Hozzászólás 254431)
hands up for chalice, its stupidle good item and almost everyone should use it and rammus have 3 active spells so he needs lots of mana if you want harass, chase, escape defend

holla for chalice... a mana regen item that only gets better the more you use your spells and it also has magic resistance (+40)... which on rammus is awesome cuz is m-resist is always lower than his regular armor

unless soraka is on your team...

yoplate 11-05-2009 06:58 PM

I have never seen a rammus used good, so i thank you for making a guide that might change that.

Eggs 11-05-2009 07:38 PM

I am personally a big fan of the boots of mobility with Rammus. As I was using it throughout the game, I learned a neat trick. Instead of activating powerball and attacking immediately, hang back behind your creep and let it charge up a bit. You start flying around at incredible speeds and you can pretty much instantly catch any hero. Usually this will work best with a ranged attacking ally hero as you can then taunt and hold that hero in battle.