League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Some simple Volibear playability thingies (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2182697)

A bouncy Furret 06-04-2012 02:41 AM

Some simple Volibear playability thingies

10 Attachment(s)
WE DID IT EVERYONE! GUESS WHO CAME! VOLTY DID! HE REALLY DID! http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...65607#32565607

This thread has clearly evolved to be much more than a few simple changes. It is very very clear right now that Riot has left Volibear out of the equation for the new S3 changes. His jungle is trashy, his top lane is impossible and his support is completely undesirable.

Some aspects of Volibear are very annoying and unfun to use.

1. His W stacks do not last long enough. Just a 1 second increase would make it so much more useable without actually changing the power of the ability.

2. His ultimate's cast time / animation is just horrid. If I use it before I enter a team fight by the time I reach my target it's half way done. If I use it in a team fight I stop moving and attacking for over half a second making it really hard to use properly.
(An idea for a new animation. A lightning bolt hits Volibear's helmet as he roars. Which would look better than just making Voli slide while using his ult)

3. A very very small range increase to his W just 25-50 range. (This ties in to point 1. I can be chasing a target and have my stacks fall off while they're just out of range)
(If #1 goes through #3 wouldn't need to.)

4. Tighter coding on his Q so that when I'm standing almost on top of someone (but not actually past them) it flings them away from me in the opposite direction of the way it should. (And sometimes if Volibear loses sight of his target while his Q is active he will stop and become unresponsive for a second or so)
(Perhaps Volibear could also ignore unit collision while his Q is active?)

5. A -0.5 second cd / rank for his W. With Darius being able to execute left and right all other executes become weaker. This makes it stronger and will likely put Voli in a slightly better place.

-----New suggestions (centered around the inevitable rework)-----

- His W becomes a nuke on a shorter cooldown that doesn't require stacks to cast, however having stacks greatly amplifies this abilities damage. No longer scales off health or acts like an execute (now scales off of AD).

- New passive (credit to Knight of Dusk for this idea)
Storm Armour (Passive)
Every time Volibear uses a skill he gains 3 charges of Storm Armour. For every charge, Volibear gains 2.5 armour and magic resistance. Volibear can have a maximum of 15 charges. Whenever Volibear gets struck by an enemy champion, his armour unleashes an electrical discharge reducing their armour and magic resistance by double the amount (5 AR/MR) for 3 seconds. This effect consumes 1 charge of Storm Armour.

- Q "bumps" away targets Volibear collides with during the movement speed burst (maybe just minions if it's too OP, the purpose is ignoring unit collision, but with a beary feel to it)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolan (Hozzászólás 25053687)
Official @UnbearablePuns Seal...err, BEAR of approval.

I like bears.

Edit 1: Over 100 upvotes and the thread has been alive for a week and no red post. Come on Riot what's up
Edit 2: Woot! 150 upvotes, still no Riot :(
Edit 3: Woo 200 upvotes!
Edit 4: We need more motivation so I did a horrible photo shop.
Edit 5: Soraka and Poppy (DO NOT LOOK AT THE RIGHT SIDE OF HER FACE) join Volibear as horrible monstrosities.
Edit 6: Yay!! 300 upvotes!

Edit 7: I have confirmed on Twitter that RiotVolty (Volibear's designer) has seen this thread. Advances have been made.

Edit 8: 350 upvotes. I love you guys (SPECIAL SHOUTOUT TO KNIGHT OF DUSK, this guy has been helping me bump this thread on his own initiative (I <3 you))
Edit 9: Shen baby and Fiddle'Maw are here for Volibear's support!
Edit 10: 400 upvotes, this is crazy.
Edit 11: 450 upvotes! You guys are fantastic, however still no Riot :(
Edit 12: After speaking with Morello and Volty on Twitter my heart is completely broken in two. I was told by Volty that just to fix bugs and massive playability issues we would have to "drop power in other places". :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( I have a feeling neither Morello or Volty have played a game as Volibear in a long long time.

Edit 13: 500 Upvotes! You guys are amaaaaaazing infinite love for you all! <3

Edit 14: Special thanks to Asdioh for getting Statikk to comment on Volibear.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Statikk (Hozzászólás 31225700)
To be completely honest with you, I don't think Volibear is a good jungler both on Live and in the new one currently in iteration. He feels currently much better suited for Top Lane.

Unlike other champions where I feel there are small tweaks we can make to ensure they are viable in the new jungle, Volibear feels fairly off and would need some significant changes (both buffs and nerfs) to switch him more into a jungle role.

Things look grim for the near future of Volibear. However in the long run, perhaps, perhaps we can envision a day where the bear can run free, free of the shackles of poor kit design and gameplay limitations.

Edit 15: Volibear buff..? I think? Thank you Riot, um I uh. I guess.
Edit 16: 550 upvotes! Yayayayayayayayaayyayayayayayayaayyayay
Edit 17: We just hit 100 pages. That's 1000 posts in this thread (and none of them from Riot :(). Thank you guys so much, with the Season 3 changes mostly looking to hurt Volibear surely we can get a red post soon!!!
Edit 18: 600 upvotes?!!?!!!?!?! Why this is crazy!
Edit 19: 700 upvotes :O! And Volty?!!
Edit 20: 800 upvotes! Oh my
Edit 21: Looks like things are coming up bear.

A bouncy Furret 06-04-2012 02:44 AM

Good quotes and strong points part of the thread (Previously known as "bump")

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowanoake (Hozzászólás 31565523)
I will also bump by posting my concerns about Voli in season 3:

I am hopeful Season 3 will be kind to Volibear. the changes that Riot seems to be making, particularly Voli's recent little buff, look to make him a stronger jungler. I've always had problems with jungling in general, and with Voli especially, so I'd like to see him succeed on the map.

What I'm really nervous about is what's happening in top lane. In season 3, Riot is trying to make it harder to gank, so there will be less snowballing for ganked lanes, and more disasterous results for failed ganks. i've also seen posts about how Riot is trying to move the meta away from passive play, especially with the removal items which promote passivity, like PhiloStone and Heart of Gold.

This direction of development make me worry that top lane will become a dueling lane, almost completely seperate from the rest of the map until teamfights start. Without jungling presence, and with passsive play penalized, the stronger champions may ultimately be champs like Jax, Lee Sin, or Graves, more mobile duelists who won't suffer from also being tankier.
As a top-laner, this is alarming to me. I can understand wanting to deter passive play as a legitimate meta.There is a point where "passive play" becomes "afk", for example, a Karthus sitting under turret and farming. But the changes being made make me worry Season 3 will render champions like Volibear or Garen obsolete. Specifically champions whose strength comes from in-lane sustain, passive farming, and health regen will be shut down and antagonized for for not constantly engaging.

TL; DR -- I see a significant difference between being a passive player and being a sustain champion, but I don't think the new meta makes the same distinction.

Volibear has always suffered from role confusion. I've played him as top, jungle, carry, support, and even tried AP Voli in mid (more viable than expected, btw). If Riot is looking to move him firmly into a jungle role, or anywhere in particular, I'm interested, but still nervous that he is just going to fall through the cracks in favor of other more aggressive champions.

A bouncy Furret 06-04-2012 02:49 AM

I like bears.

A bouncy Furret 06-04-2012 02:54 AM

Downvote without reasoning :(

Rude.

A bouncy Furret 06-04-2012 02:58 AM

I'm lonely.

A bouncy Furret 06-04-2012 03:01 AM

Oh so lonely.

Shadow Sathe 06-04-2012 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ursa Arçadius (Hozzászólás 24942763)
Some aspects of Volibear are very annoying and unfun to use.

1. His W stacks do not last long enough. Just a 1 second increase would make it so much more useable without actually changing the power of the ability.

2. His ultimate's cast time / animation is just horrid. If I use it before I enter a team fight by the time I reach my target it's half way done. If I use it in a team fight I stop moving and attacking for over half a second making it really hard to use properly.

3. A very very small range increase to his W just 25-50 range. (This ties in to point 1. I can be chasing a target and have my stacks fall off while they're just out of range)

4. Tighter coding on his Q so that when I'm standing almost on top of someone (but not actually past them) it flings them away from me in the opposite direction of the way it should.

5. A -0.5 second cd / rank for his W. With Darius being able to execute left and right all other executes become weaker. This makes it stronger and will likely put Voli in a slightly better place.

I like bears.

#3, you can't bite people when they're 10 feet away

EDIT: Alright you got me with that
V

A bouncy Furret 06-04-2012 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Sathe (Hozzászólás 24942969)
#3, you can't bite people when they're 10 feet away

The tooltip says he bites people.

The animation makes it appear he roars at their face. His mouth opens wide but doesn't close.

A bouncy Furret 06-04-2012 03:10 AM

Dammit forums! The bear needs some loving!

A bouncy Furret 06-04-2012 03:14 AM

This is silly.