League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Roleplaying Forums (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Opinions On Crossovers -- Completely OOC (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2160692)

Storm514 05-28-2012 09:46 AM

Opinions On Crossovers -- Completely OOC

I have recently been thinking up lore-friendly ways to introduce existing characters from other series and games into the League of Legends role playing forums. Then it hit me, the community might not be quite so appreciative of such an act and might even consider it trolling. Being the person I am, I decided that I should look into this before bringing a character from another game into these delicate forums. When done right, I think that crossovers could almost seamlessly blend into the other characters. I also like the idea of champions interacting with their counterparts from other dimensions, such as Swiftblade having a conversation with Master Yi or Garen debating the fundamentals of spinning with Juggernaut.

With every good idea, there is always the darkside. In this case, we would need to worry about trolls and the idiotic. Perhaps someone trying to justify bring a freakin' mechanical battle suit in the forums justified because of both Rumble's and Viktor's technological capabilities. Then you have the children who think, Wouldn't it be cool if [Insert Anime Character here] could be best friends with Ezreal? If I saw this happening, I can guarantee I would begin foaming at the mouth and you would hear about a police stand-off between a man wearing a mascot outfit and the Toronto Police Department. Obviously there would be some limits as to which types of characters would be accepted and which would be ignored. There are some characters that could blend in easily. Take nearly any of Dota's champions, or Heroes of Neuerth's, well, heroes. Sure, they're balanced in their own unique ways and some would be considered a little overpowered (I'm looking at you, Amun-Ra). The potential for griefing is there, but when isn't there that potential?

To be more direct, I would really like to know if anyone would be opposed to me role playing as the Dota2 character "Axe". I don't plan on doing much more than either "Ask" forums or tossing questions out... Or, for kicks, posting in threads similar to Shyvana's relationship advice (which is one of the most hilarious threads I have been privileged enough to read). I would steer clear of any threads that could stand a chance to become canon.

TL DR; What is your opinion of crossover-characters in League of Legends' roleplay threads? Your opinion on these characters dancing around lore to fit in? Where might the community as a whole would stand?
Please be sure to clearly state where you stand.

MysticalRaven 05-28-2012 09:49 AM

I haven't been Rping here for that long, but personally I don't think it should be done at all.

FilFire 05-28-2012 09:51 AM

Too late. The Horde has already invaded.

Iron Ambássador 05-28-2012 09:54 AM

I agree with Steelmill, there is no real point, or way that makes sense to mix different games. Besides, most game lores do not fit together at all, like well, how some people have mixed Warcraft lore into here. I am a Warcraft universe fan I admit, but it makes no sense and is just annoying really to see here. Just my opinion though.

1Eredale 05-28-2012 09:55 AM

My main character is one huge crossover. How did it happen?.. You really better not know.

However, last time that issue has been brought, Shurelia stated that it's better not to bring actual characters for many reasons. As low as the chance of any RP has of becoming canon, bringing a crossover character drops them nearly to zero (although my canon character and Shurelia's canon characters both use actual Touhou spells, and both are justified).

Overall, justifying a crossover character is titanically hard, and involves copyrights and all that stuff that Riot always has on its mind.

Storm514 05-28-2012 09:56 AM

What's been done is in the past. I want to know the now.
What is -YOUR- opinion on it? What do you think?

Also, really? The Horde? I would think Runeterra would be tainted with the smell of magic n' other demonic essences, driving the Horde away... They aren't a fan of demons, you know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelmill (Hozzászólás 24696288)
I haven't been Rping here for that long, but personally I don't think it should be done at all.

Any reason behind this?

FilFire 05-28-2012 09:57 AM

In their defence, it's not like they're bringing the whole world with them. They're just from that world. It's like all the Champions that were being summoned from other worlds (like Anivia, Kayle, Morgana, all those guys). The only difference being that we actually know stuff about these worlds.

MysticalRaven 05-28-2012 09:58 AM

Nah, no real reason its just my personal opinion.

FilFire 05-28-2012 09:59 AM

Eh, guy, the Horde does not include demons. Warlocks summon them, but nobody likes them anyway.

Storm514 05-28-2012 10:04 AM

Which Horde are we speaking of? The new Horde with Thrall, or Hellscream, and the reigns or the Old Horde, ruled by the Burning Legion? Also Valoran stinks of magic which could make the New Horde THINK that the world is full of demons, thus driving them away.