League of Legends Community
12

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So... what's the difference beween melee tanks and melee dps? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=213214)

silpeamak 08-18-2010 07:32 PM

So... what's the difference beween melee tanks and melee dps?
 
From what I have gathered, tanks have a little more hp but do approximately the same amount of damage as melee dps chars.

SamuraiPanda 08-18-2010 07:34 PM

Tanks have some sort of damage mitigation built in, and have CC or some other way to make them a threat in teamfights without speccing damage items.

IncubusPhanto 08-18-2010 07:36 PM

While melee DPS usually have steroid-abilities that increase their damage, like Master Yi's Wuju Style.

JapaneseBearDad 08-18-2010 07:38 PM

Real tanks typically have low atkspd which doesn't scale well (alistar). Their skills tend to be geared toward support rather than damage, and have long cooldowns. Some tanks can be played damage, but don't expect to get away with it in higher elo.

ZenithZephyr 08-18-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuraiPanda (Hozzászólás 2477066)
Tanks have some sort of damage mitigation built in, and have CC or some other way to make them a threat in teamfights without speccing damage items.

Like Xin Zhao's HP regen passive, bonus Armor/MR, slow, and knockup. He's an example of a tank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IncubusPhanto (Hozzászólás 2477092)
While melee DPS usually have steroid-abilities that increase their damage, like Master Yi's Wuju Style.

Like Xin Zhao's attack speed buff, and cooldown reduction for attacking. He's an example of a melee dps.

Dingus Khan 08-18-2010 07:41 PM

It's all in the abilities. But most tanks can also be played as DPS if built right.


Xin is not a tank. He has no ability to control the other team's champions damage.

TheIronFist 08-18-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingus Khan (Hozzászólás 2477131)
It's all in the abilities. But most tanks can also be played as DPS if built right.


Xin is not a tank. He has no ability to control the other team's champions damage.

Spammable knockup. Slow... if build with raduin's another AoE slow. Instantly killing squishies mitigates damage. He's a tank by the definition people have been using.

TombMonkey 08-18-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silpeamak (Hozzászólás 2477037)
From what I have gathered, tanks have a little more hp but do approximately the same amount of damage as melee dps chars.

If this was true then Allistar would be the most OP carry around.

Dingus Khan 08-18-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronFist (Hozzászólás 2477158)
Spammable knockup. Slow... if build with raduin's another AoE slow. Instantly killing squishies mitigates damage. He's a tank by the definition people have been using.



But he's not a tank. A tank is a character like Shen, that has an ability to mitigate damage, an ability to taunt the enemy champions, as well as an ability to save teammates.

Novascourge 08-18-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenithZephyr (Hozzászólás 2477129)
Like Xin Zhao's HP regen passive, bonus Armor/MR, slow, and knockup. He's an example of a tank.



Like Xin Zhao's attack speed buff, and cooldown reduction for attacking. He's an example of a melee dps.

Nasus uses Wither. Now your AS buff, Knock-up, and self-heal are all useless. His bonus MR/Armor isn't that much either. It hardly puts him into tank status. It only exists because the only way you're getting your Ult off and surviving is by being dead center of the team fight.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:17 AM.
12


(c) 2008 Riot Games Inc