League of Legends Community
12345 ... 7

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Champion Feedback (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rating Legendary skins (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2106495)

Dark Kuno 05-09-2012 11:02 AM

Rating Legendary skins. Some Pass. Some fail.

Legendary skins have been extremely hit or miss.

Some have been extremely good. Other's not so much.

There are very few of the older Legendary Skins that actually feel Legendary and standout from any other skin for the champ.

All legendary skins should include all of the following in addition to the actual visual differences of the skin.
  • New/different voices and/or voice acting for abilities to fit the theme
  • New ability sound affects to fit the theme (where applicable).
  • New animations and/or particle affects for ALL abilities, including auto-attack for ranged characters
  • New voice acting and visual affects for the champ's flavor elements (Jokes, Taunts, movement comments, death animation, etc)

Anything less than the above is NOT legendary.

Using the above criteria, here is how I'd grade the current legendary skins on the A-F scale.

Gatekeeper Galio
Pros: While it uses what sounds like the same voice actor, the additional reverb and tone give it a vastly different feel that suits the theme. The new particle affects on ALL of his abilities is also well done. All new okes, taunts, etc are all very well done and fit his theme perfectly.
Cons: No new Dance animation, and for someone who "guards between life and death" it's a shame he has no new death animation :D
Grade: A

Blood Lord Vladamir
Pros: New voice is very fitting. New jokes and flavor elements are also well done. New death animation is quite interesting.
Cons: His particle affects for abilities were changed, however the changes were so subtle that they can be easily missed (minor coloration change to the blood). Granted there is only so much you can do with blood, but even something as simple as a more easily noticed shape adjustment to some of his particle affects would have gone a long way.
Grade: B

Red Baron Corki
Pros: Novel appearance.
Cons: No new voice, no new particle affects, no new flavor elements of any kind. If nothing else the voice elements should have been new (German accent to reflect the Red Baron). This is literally a normal skin that has been arbitrarily flagged and priced as legendary. The Urfrider skin is actually more of a legendary than this (it has a new dance and sound elements).
Grade: F-

Gentleman Cho'Gath
Pros: Very humorous voice acting compared to his normal voice. Each of his abilities was given multiple new sound options which in this case is better than new particle affects. No new death animation but new voice work similar to Brolaf for his death.
Cons: No new dance.
Grade: A

Alien Invader Heimerdinger
Pros: Very good looking. Turrets have the classic cliche alien ray gun look
Cons: No new voice, no new voice acting or flavor elements. Still carries a normal wrench used for autoattack instead of a ray gun like. The turret changes are the only thing keeping this from being a normal skin arbitrarily flagged and priced as legendary.
Grade: D-

Lion Dance Kog'Maw
Pros: Very distinct stylized look. New particle and sound affects on autoattack and ultimate are very in theme for the skin.
Cons: Only the ult and auto-attack were given new particle and sound affects. Why wasn't Void Ooze given the appearance of spiral spinning fireworks on the ground? And why doesn't Lion Dance Kog'Maw have the Lion Dance as his /dance?
Grade: C-

The Magnificent Twisted Fate
Pros: It is a good joke on the "Pick A Card" aspect of the character
Cons: No new voice acting, no new animations or particle affects, no new flavor elements. This is literally a normal skin that has been arbitrarily flagged and priced as legendary.

Firefighter Tristana
Pros: Cute reversal from the character's normal enthusiasm for shooting and blowing things up. New particle affects for autoattack and Rocket Jump.
Cons: No new voice or character sounds. No new flavor elements. The water hose theme was not extended beyond autoattack and rocket jump. Why not shoot a hydrant out as her ult when explodes with water affect instead of normal explosion affect it has?

Annie in Wonderland
Pros: Cute concept and looks decent.
Cons: No new voice acting, no new animations or particle affects, no new flavor elements. This is literally a normal skin that has been arbitrarily flagged and priced as legendary. Reverse Annie is vastly more interesting than this skin.

Corporate Mundo
Pros: Very humorous twist on the character. New voicework for virtually every element (abilities and flavor). His briefcase replaces his axe in every way (love the paper trail on the axe throw).
Cons: Other than briefcase replacing the axe, no new particle affects or other visual elements.
Grade: B+

Astronaut Teemo
Pros: Cute. Satellites instead of mushrooms New attack animations. While he doesn't actually say anything new, all of his voice work has the click-static you see in movies and broadcasts of communication with astronauts. His normal walk is the bouncy low gravity waddle. and his Move Quick shows him activating maneuvering thrusters on his suit.
Cons: The radio affect on his voice is a nice touch, but some actual new voice work to go with the space theme would have been nice too. No other new flavor elements. The fact that Many of his "normal" skins change the visual of his mushrooms and Move Quick ability also detracts from the Legendary feel of this skin.
Grade: B-

Brolaf
Pros: Great look that pokes complete fun at the character. All new voice work (His Ult and Death voice acting is the best). New particle affects for his axe, which transfers into his auto-attack, Undertow and Reckless Strike abilities. The cans of Axe body spray while his ult is up are priceless.
Cons: Can't think of any. Has all the elements a legendary skin should have.
Grade: A+

Piltover Customs Blitzcrank
Pros: Awesome look and distinct from the normal champion's physical appearance. New sound affects for the appropriate abilities (love the horn and car sounds on Overdrive). New Dance.
Cons: No new flavor elements other than the dance. Same old particle affects for his non-Overdrive abilities.

Nunu Bot
Pros: Very distinct. All new voice affects. All new flavor affects. Flavor elements poke fun at Riot themselves.
Cons: No new particle affects of any kind other than the base physical appearance of the skin.

Demonblade Tryndamere
Pros: New voice. Interesting tweaks to his idle animations. New particle affects for his fury levels, heal and Endless rage are Very well done. Some new flavor elements.
Cons: New dance and a few more new flavor elements would have been nice. No new effect for Mocking shout.
Grade: B-

Surprise Party Fiddlesticks
Pros: Very humorous reversal of the champs original theme (wait clowns are really scary, nm). New particle affects and sounds that fit the theme of the skin including auto-attack (the party hat and noisemaker on the fear icon are a really nice touch :D).
Cons: no new voice acting nor any new flavor elements
Grade: B

Pulsefire Ezreal
Pros: Every aspect from flavor to particle affects has been overhauled for this skin. His dance even incorporates the current model in it. And his joke pokes fun at the base skin's flavor elements. The overall visual changes as the game progresses and you gain levels in his ult. This is everything a legendary/Mythic skin is supposed to be and much, much more.
Cons: None
Grade: S

There are very few of the Legendary skins that actually feel legendary when compared to other skins. While a small handful are marvelously done (Gatekeeper Galio, Brolaf), there are entirely too many that are mediocre of feel half- done.

And the biggest issue is with the number of Legendaries that are really just normal skins with unnecessarily inflated RP costs.

Kagami 05-09-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Corporate Mundo
Pros: Very humourous twist on the character. New voicework for virtually every element (abilities and flavor). His briefcase replaces his axe in every way.
Cons: Other than briefcase replacing the axe, no new particle affects or other visual elements.
Grade: B+
He has new particle on his briefcase throw, you can see the papers flying out of it mid air lol. Good review of them otherwise, and some of older legendary skins are left at the cost because Riot feels like it would be unfair to older players to reduce it's cost now, unless they wanted to give them the difference of RP cost back...

TurnCross 05-09-2012 02:16 PM

I disagree with vlads rating, his abilities were changed, his transfuse is larger torrent of blood looks like actual blood daggers now, they increased the particles on his pool and ult, instead of just a splash of blood, both emit a dark blood mist, addIng to the aesthetic value. I'd give vlad an A

Cretinok 05-09-2012 02:20 PM

Mundo enforce corporate policy!

Yuan Shikai 05-09-2012 02:37 PM

I pretty much agree with everything on your list except Mundo, he definitely belongs on the top place next to Brolaf.

ToxicShade 05-09-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Kuno (Hozzászólás 24115145)
Blood Lord Vladamir
Pros: New voice is very fitting. New jokes and flavor elements are also well done.
Cons: Sadly no update to the visual affects of any of his abilities. Granted there is only so much you can do with blood, but even something as simple as shape adjustments to some of his particle affects would have gone a long way.
Grade: C -

The blood of his abilities is a little darker, I love that skin either way and the jokes and animations are awesome. vlad is an A imo.

PrivatePlaces 05-09-2012 03:04 PM

With Corporate Mundo, there is nothing you can do in terms of his W, E, and R. So that's why Riot gave him a mad nice voicework and a pretty **** cool Q. But I agree with the rest. TF and Corki's skins are trash.

Fruhorn 05-09-2012 03:56 PM

Blood Lord Vladimir deserves an A just by making Vlad a little more... manly / trully evil. I can't stand his voice and oompa-loompa hair in the majority of his other skins.

Technician Tim 05-09-2012 04:03 PM

i thought frost blade irelia was going to be legendary, and i was sad but then its just 975..although it has new effects, but i gotta say i really like the gatekeeper galio the best...also whats this i hear about a legendary morgana skin coming???

MellesLoB 05-09-2012 04:08 PM

I enjoy Annie in Wonderland. That said, I'm a Lewis Carol nut. So it has special appeal for me. Otherwise I agree with alot of the other stuff said.