League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   League of Legends and DotA 2 (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2048860)

Akiiru 04-22-2012 03:23 AM

League of Legends and DotA 2

I don't understand all the hate League players have for DotA/DotA 2. I think it's a pretty fun game but whenever it's mentioned everyone goes into some big hissy fit over it.

I see three popular responses. The first one is that League of Legends and Defense of the Ancients are completely different games and aren't similar in any way, shape, or form.(No) Another one I hear a lot is that League is an improved version of DotA. (More below on this one.) The final one that I tend to hear quite a bit is that DotA is a complete copy and is ripped off of League of Legends! (Absolutely not.)

DotA and League are very similar games. That's not to say that they don't have their differences, they do, but you can't state that two games that are built upon the SAME key fundamentals are entirely different. Map Awareness, Last Hitting, Pushing, Team Fighting, Itemization, Jungling, Map Control. These are all things that DBG/MOBA games are built upon.

I don't view League as an 'improved' version of DotA. If anything, League is a more simplified version of DotA. Does that make it better and more improved? That's up to you. Does it make everything too easy and generally not-fun to play? That's also up to you. That's the wonderful thing about the internet! You're allowed to have your own opinion and you don't have to listen to anyone who says otherwise!

Aeon of Strife.
Defense of the Ancients.
League of Legends.

DotA came before League.

In addition to this, Riot also tends to "be more inspired" by DotA and it's heroes rather than the other way around.

I don't hate DotA and I don't hate League. I enjoy both games.

League is simple and fun once you learn that you can ignore everyone in-game and not listen to their babbling and it's nice to sit down with friends and play some matches every once in a while.

DotA is a bit more complex and hard and is nice when I need to scratch that itch League just can't seem to reach.

-End of rant-

tl;dr No, **** you. Go read it.

If you disagree with me or have anything to add, feel free to speak your mind. Keep it civil.

Note: I don't play HoN. I don't plan on playing HoN. I don't have an opinion on HoN."

Nezgul 04-22-2012 03:25 AM

Most LoL players see League as innovating upon the original idea that was DotA. They kept the good, got rid of the bad. DotA 2, on the otherhand, kept everything. People like to throw fits about stuff they have gripes with.

That's my take on the situation, at least.

Snackrifice 04-22-2012 03:28 AM

Downvote. All this thread says is 'I see people hating on Dota 2.' Almost as useless as an Oracle Elixir thread.

Nezgul 04-22-2012 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snackrifice (Hozzászólás 23488094)
Downvote. All this thread says is 'I see people hating on Dota 2.' Almost as useless as an Oracle Elixir thread.

Why you gotta be so mad, bro? He's just trying to have a conversation. God forbid that this forum contain something intelligent, rather than "OMFG THEY R NURF MAI FOAVIRUTE CHAMPUHN I UNINSTUL NAO"

Cenerae 04-22-2012 03:36 AM

Fanboys will aggressively rage about anything that conflicts with their opinions.

This shouldn't come as a huge surprise.

I'm sure there's plenty of rage about League on the DotA 2 forum.

Ordosan 04-22-2012 03:38 AM

Well the play style is alot difernt. since moves dont scale and champions tend to be alot more op in dota. but in a game were everybody is op it does have its fun points. I play it a lil bit cuz its enjoyable and its nice to play the same game lvl in a diferent style. I just happen to enjoy lol more than dota thats all. and i also find the LoL community to be much nicer than the Dota or DotA 2 community

Hatelore 04-22-2012 03:40 AM

the new Dota just feels slow.. it feels like the original game with better graphics.

League feels like the 2.0 version... it evolved... it cut out the unnecessary ****.. and added more action to make a fun / fast pace / strategic team based game.

Mr M0nday 04-22-2012 03:40 AM

I WANTED dota 2 to be better then LoL, But the graphics and ui are so terrible, it was a sad day indeed.

Akiiru 04-22-2012 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ordosan (Hozzászólás 23488159)
Well the play style is a lot different. Since moves don't scale and champions tend to be a lot more op in DotA. but in a game were everybody is op it does have its fun points. I play it a lil bit 'cause its enjoyable and its nice to play the same game level in a different style. I just happen to enjoy LoL more than DotA that's all. and i also find the LoL community to be much nicer than the Dota or DotA 2 community

I agree, the play style is much different. I don't really view the heroes in DotA as 'OP' when compared to each other. Maybe I'm just used to it.

I'm glad you find the game enjoyable although it's a bit disappointing that you feel the community is worse. I've found the community in DotA 2 to be a lot better than the trash that is B.net or League's feisty community.

Akiiru 04-22-2012 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr M0nday (Hozzászólás 23488174)
I WANTED dota 2 to be better then LoL, But the graphics and ui are so terrible, it was a sad day indeed.

I think the graphics are absolutely gorgeous. Although I play with max settings so that probably makes a huge difference. You're right about the UI though. It's absolute garbage.