League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Massive Banana's Guide to Trolling (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2008115)

Massive Banana 04-10-2012 12:18 PM

Massive Banana's Guide to Trolling

The troll is a valuable albeit under-appreciated member of the League of Legends ecosystem. Whether it's providing a healthy way for other players to vent their emotions, or just keeping things from getting too serious, a little trolling is essential for keeping things fresh and interesting.

But if you're reading this guide, chances are you don't need to be convinced of the virtues of trolling, and are simply looking to take your game to the next level. So let's get started!

Step 1: The Proper Mindset
Many people think that trolling is simply being provocative with the goal of pissing other people off. While there are certainly times and places for this straightforward approach, in most cases you are doing yourself a disservice to enter into a game with this attitude.

Instead of striving for a specific reaction from others, I find it's better to modify one's own behavior around this principle: do things not because you *should* do them, but because you *can* do them. This is a remarkably fun way to play, and it naturally sets the stage for all sorts of hilarity that you couldn't possibly plan for.

Step 2: The Right Audience
Maintaining the proper elo is essential to having a good time. I would target an elo a good 200 points below your "tryhard" rating. I'm personally very fond of the 1200-1300 range because it's a fantastic overlap of pretentious academic knowledge with sheer gameplay retardation. When you're in a game with players who are fully aware that your build is awful, but are unable to explain why you're still outperforming them, that is a true troll goldmine.

There are two main ways to lower your elo:

1) Don't try to win. It's amazing how many more games you will lose simply by not caring about winning.

2) Make low elo friends. This will temporarily pull down your elo for games you share with them. Public chat is a great place to pick some of these up!

Note that combining these approaches is an extremely effective way to lose lots of elo fast. If you lose to really bad players while queuing with your nooby friends, you will take a much bigger elo hit than if you just lose to someone already around your rating.

Step 3: Choose your weapon
Here we go over some tried and true ways to lighten the mood in your game of LoL

Unconventional builds: I'll classify these as builds which are hilarious because they do function to a certain degree. Lots of room to be creative here. My favorite example of this would have to be tank Anivia on dominion. Nobody ever checks her for a thornmail, and I can't think of anything more humiliating than dying to an egg.

Totally useless builds: A bit cliche, but sometimes nothing fits better in your item slots than mobility boots and 5 zeals. Other classics include bravery and tiamat tuesdays.

The Dedicated KSer: Just sit there and wait for your teammates to die, then go in and nab the kills. If you've maintained your elo properly, many people will assume you're just bad. Good champions for this include katarina, akali, and eve.

The Passive Observer: A more extreme rendition of above, even ksing is too much involvement for you. Make sure to keep autoattacking creeps though, so people assume you're just bad.

The Foil Pick: Disrupting your team's meta with a redundant or extraneous pick. A prime example - locking in a jungler with smite after someone else has already selected one, then pretending to be afk for the rest of pregame. But you don't have to be that obvious about it. Also, if someone else has picked a stealth champion, you must play Eve. Unwritten rule.

The Greedy Support: No faster way to get on an ad carry's bad side than taking his cs and kills! You can also save your heals/shields exclusively for yourself, and remain happily oblivious to the needs of your teammates.

The Feeder: Useful if you want to throw a game. The trick is to make the enemy feel like they're working for the kill. Then, you can come off as legitimately unskilled, and have a proper defense for yourself should one of your teammates start asking people to report you. Who knows, they might end up reporting him instead for raging. Not that I've ever seen this happen... *whistles*

The Bloodhound: Can have significant overlap with The Feeder, and looks pretty legit(ly bad). Basically, people love this song because of you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8smbp5hHfQk

Step 4: Verbal Conduct
By now, you've probably had to deal with some upset teammates or opponents. Some of them may even accuse you of trolling, which you want to avoid - it's about as sexy as a ninja being caught trying to take a cookie. Keep these pointers in mind when interacting with teammates:

1) Let others initiate the conversation. This saves you the trouble of figuring out who is worth trolling and who isn't. Until a rager reveals himself, it can often be best to keep any comments vague and not directed at anyone in particular.

2) Less is often times more. *Especially* true of profanity. Unless someone has set a precedent of using an awful lot of it directed at you, I wouldn't use it.

3) Be consistent! Adopt a persona suitable for the person in question and remain steadfast. This makes you seem authentic, because your average player is exactly this pigheaded and stubborn. Some common platforms to adopt in chat:

The Whiner: Something is always going wrong, and it's never your fault. Everyone shall be constantly reminded of just how much it really isn't your fault.

The Capitalist: ADDS A SPECIAL INTENSITY TO EVERY REMARK YOU SAY. ESPECIALLY GOOD FOR REPEATING WHAT ANOTHER PERSON SAYS. AKA THEY SAY "so bad", YOU REPLY WHY AM I SO BAD!!!

The Cynic: Constantly casts doubt on the decisions, playing ability, and history of another player. Any time you see someone talking about how good they are, it's a safe bet to play the cynic.

The Grammar Nazi: When receiving criticism from another player, don't respond directly to their accusations but instead question their intelligence. Correct their typos with no mercy! Be sure to capitalize, punctuate, and garnish your sentence with vocabulary you will never use in real life. An excellent match with the next persona which is...

The Foreigner: As soon as the game starts, let your team know that you are not a native speaker of English. When asked to buy wards, insist that you "no understand" their intentions. Also, be sure to sound apologetic while implementing Step 3. Be convincing by using emoticons such as ^_^ or soz

The Hillbilly: Though somewhat similar to the foreigner, the Hillbilly is a native speaker who simply has no respect for his own language. Uses plenty of abbreviations, memes, and onamonapias. Make sure every sentence has 2-3 ridiculous spelling / grammer mistakes. This strategy goes hand in hand with The Capitalist.

Mr. "I have a life": Go on at length at just how amazing your everyday life is and how this prevents you from being any good at silly things like video games. There are simply too many women fawning over your ripped abs for you to notice those pings.

Mr. "You have no life": Invert the above strategy, and you have someone who is hopelessly bitter that other people are better at the game. Can be a very fun role to play, particularly if you are against someone you suspect actually does have no life.

The Innocent Victim: If a person is being especially ragey towards you, and you detect sympathy from teammates/opponents, try ramping it up by acting 100% sweet and injured. For bonus points, find a way to imply you are female, eg "why are boys always so mean?? :("

The Rager: One of the ultimate trolls - to become the enemy! Blame is the name of the game and you're out to heap it on one specific person at every opportunity. Try to make pointed remarks after emotional high points (like losing a Baron fight) to see if you can direct collective team wrath at your chosen individual. Bonus points if you can make them feel at least partially responsible for letting your pie burn in the oven.

Praiseworthy: Select a target and bombard that player with unnecessary praise. Exaggerate every single action that he makes for "the benefit of the team" and insist that player is on par with professional players. Repetitveness and persistance is key.

Chillout Dude: The voice of calm reason and simple pleasures that says, it's just a game, just relax and have fun! Goes a long way to make the target seem more like the perpetrator. This persona has the added advantage of being totally non-bat**** crazy. In fact, you can only use it to troll in communities like LoL where irrational rage is so very common. If you try this in real life, expect disappointing results - you'll only wind up with a lot of people who really like you.

Trolling (with) Your Friends

Everyone needs friends - trolls are no exception! By sticking consistently with your troll playstyle, you will soon find yourself left with nothing but the very finest of individuals wanting to spend time around you. With the right company, you can take trolling to a whole new level. Just imagine:

-Themed Metas! Team Backdoor, Team Support, Team Stealth, Team Ranged carry, etc
-The Neverending Game! Play to stall, not to win, see if you can make the enemy team quit!
-Piss off the Pug! Queue up with 4 and leave the 5th slot open for fun. A great time to choose all stealths, or perhaps have victory within your grasp only to force a surrender.
-And much, much more!

Alternative Guide: Trolling in Ranked
Step 1: Do anything, at any time, in any elo. Enjoy the ensuing rage.

Edited: added the uber important step 4! special thanks to HelloKi for his contributions!

TehJackAttack 04-10-2012 12:26 PM

Good guide! Some of the more subtle aspects of trolling are covered pretty well here. I think you should get some videos to add.

Upvote for great justice!

rajo101 04-10-2012 01:03 PM

The way I look at it, nothing wrong with doing this in a custom game instead of regular. If people want to play more seriously, why do you have to make it impossible for them to do so?

TehJackAttack 04-10-2012 01:44 PM

some of the best trolls don't interfere with the rest of your teams ability to play the game-- like the AD sorakas for instance... Or my personal favorite from the guide, my eternal troll--

Chillout Dude: The voice of calm reason and simple pleasures that says, it's just a game, just relax and have fun!

So much rage @ the chillout dude.

HelloKi 04-10-2012 01:53 PM

I have seen some pretty scary AD sorakas!

Massive Banana 04-10-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajo101 (Hozzászólás 23029746)
The way I look at it, nothing wrong with doing this in a custom game instead of regular. If people want to play more seriously, why do you have to make it impossible for them to do so?

I would suggest you re-read step 2 and then deeply consider if anyone following this guide is making anything impossible for anyone

Rin 04-10-2012 02:02 PM

What if I play AD Kassadin better than Irelia?

What does that make me?

Massive Banana 04-10-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rin (Hozzászólás 23032114)
What if I play AD Kassadin better than Irelia?

What does that make me?

Some people need guides. Others are born with a gift.

Rin 04-10-2012 02:13 PM

Also, Capitalist Pigs are those who flaunt their money in game, boasting about how much money they've spent on this game.

THOSE THAT USE CAPITALS ARE THOSE THAT ADHERE TO ЯEAL SOVIET GЯAMMAЯ.

alaskaneagle 04-10-2012 02:14 PM

[QUOTE=Massive Banana;23027992]Unconventional builds: I'll classify these as builds which are hilarious because they do function to a certain degree. Lots of room to be creative here. My favorite example of this would have to be tank Anivia on dominion. Nobody ever checks her for a thornmail, and I can't think of anything more humiliating than dying to an egg.
QUOTE]

...LMAO

k, that is just funny though I think you should shove your banana up your ass and quite playing for causing people to lose games, and wast an hour of there game time just to amuse yourself like a self centered loser with nothing worth doing to fill his time...

I often do funny things but Never hurt my team on purpose, and am always an asset.