League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] Ezreal AP / AD the real deal (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=194989)

Isamaru 08-03-2010 03:51 PM

[Guide] Ezreal AP / AD the real deal

Guide to Ezreal AP / AD

Edit:

2-20-2011
Sorry for not being more active on this guide school and work makes it hard to update guides. Up to date item builds in place and a little more clarity on skill building. Also updated runes as well. Hope this guide continues to be helpful.

Intro:

This is an up to date Ezreal guide focused on helping mid to low elo players work there way up to becoming high elo players with Ezreal. If you follow this guide I assure you with some practice you can climb out of the feeder elo hole and into the skilled elo player range. If you don't believe me try a few games out with it and see.

Skills:

Mystic Shot [Q]:

Very crucial to your success as AD Ezreal. I can never stress this enough so I will say it a couple times. Positioning! Positioning! Positioning! You need to think like your opponent would think and place your shot not where he is but where he will be the second the shot will land.

Essence Flux [W]:

As important as your Q is to AD Ezreal so shall W be to AP Ezreal. Same concept as your Q in that you need to position it just right to hit with it. Only difference is it can be used for speed tower killing with your team. Just hit your team with it and yourself along with the rest of your team are super charged to kill turrets.

Arcane Shift [E]:

When used by a master this ability will make you Almost godlike. The key is to understand this ability should never be used to chase unless you know you will be able to kill the target then escape without a death. The key is never to get greedy.

True Shot Barrage [R]:

At first it may seem like an underpowered ult for AD Ezreal and an insane one for AP Ezreal but I assure you its equally good for both. There are a few tricks you can pull off with it in order to make your enemy's cry a little inside. first is the most obvious which is to kill someone as they run for safety. The second is to steal Lizard, Golem or Barron with it. Third is to use it to initiate combat. Fourth and final way I use it is to try and time a kill at there spawn. Now I don't even pretend to be that skillful at it but if you have an idea that one lane is going to B with a couple bars left but your not quite sure where he is simply send your ult down center to there spawn point and get the ultimate kill. Only happened 3 times since Ive been playing Ezreal but when you do get it you feel awesome.

Runes:

Old runes (still works just fine)

I use Armor Pen Marks, Mana Regen per level Seals, flat Cooldown Reduction Glyphs, and flat Health Quintessences for both ap and ad Ezreal. I will explain why later in my guide why I don't change the armor pen to magic pen.

New runes (what I play with now)

I use Armor Pen Marks, Mana Regen per level Seals, Mana Regen per level Glyphs, and Armor pen Quintessences. If I Decide to go AP before the match starts I will change my Armor Pen to Magic Pen.

Masteries:

21 0 9

http://leaguecraft.com/masteries/300...03140100000000

I focus on Critical Hits, Armor Pen, Magic Pen, Damage and Cooldown Reduction in the offense tree.

I focus on Regen and XP boost in the utility tree.

Summoner Skills:

Ignite: because it ensures a kill most times and also stops healer / vamp teams.
Ghost: Extra speed to chase down / run away from the Enemy is always nice.

Skill lvling:

AD build R>Q>E>W
AP build R>Q>W>E

R first always why? because it gives tons of extra damage
Q max rank first will give you lots of early kills and early harass.
W maxed next if your AP but not if your AD because you will never use it as AD but always use it as AP
E Lower CD and more damage who would ask for more?

Item Build: All steps are listed in order of importance of what I buy first.

1. Game starts

475g Doran's Blade

2. First shop run (early game shopping gold / lvl 850-1600 6-8)

475g Doran's Blade
350g Boots of Speed
415g Long Sword

3. Second shop run (mid game shopping)

415g Long Sword
507g Brutalizer
650g Boots of Swiftness / Boots of Mobility
OR 850g Mercury's Treads
400g Sapphire Crystal
435g Amplifying Tome
425g Sheen

4. Third shop run (mid to late game shopping spree)

AP
2235g Guinsoo's Rage Blade
2210g Litch Bane
3600g Rabadon's Deathcap
2650g Abyssal Scepter if less then 100 magic resist
2295g Void Staff If more then 100 Magic resist

AD
2750g Bloodthirster
4080g Infinity Edge
2810g Trinity Force
3800g Madred's Bloodrazor
3065g The Black Cleaver if less then 100 Armor
2290g Last Whisper if more then 100 Armor

Strat:

I am sure by now you noticed that i have 1 set way i build early game regardless of if i will go AD or AP mid to late game. This is to ensure max farming to set up good gold flow for mid to late game.

Early game: 1-8 Farm Farm Farm Farm Farm

Your goal is to farm 1600g and get first blood / early kill
What you will actually accomplish half the time is around 1200g and make the enemy champ b with 2 bars left.
remember your main goal is to farm into an early late game build so don't get sad if you dont get first blood.

Mid game: 9-14 Farm Farm Farm Farm Farm

Your goal is to Farm enemy champs, your lane, and neutral creeps / steal enemy Lizard / Golem
what you will actually accomplish half the time is killing 1 or 2 enemy champs and get most neutral creeps +1 Lizard

Late game: 15+ Kill push Kill Push Win

Goal: snowball into carrying your team to victory
Actual: win about 75 to 80% of your games getting scores of 7 2 5 to 17 0 12

AP or AD:

You need to figure out what there team is building and what they will be trying to counter. The most important thing to be aware of is because you have 2 viable options mid to late game you can counter their counter by simply building the opposite to what they built. Also understanding what build destroys there team makeup more. If they have 3 squishy casters don't go AP. if they have 3 tanks that all have Thornmail don't go AD. This is one of your advantages most people don't use. Build him AD early game for minion farm then switch him AD or AP mid / late game for max champ kill / pushing power.

Tips:

1. Greed = feed so don't feed them gold let them feed you.

2. Don't let an early kill get you upset. just say to yourself that's his last kill he will get from you and farm you ass off.

3. If you lose 2 or 3 in a row walk away take a break and come back to it later after you cool off.

4. Have fun its a game so play the game.

Edit: constructive feedback, comments or debates are more then welcome on anything I have said in this guide.

Isamaru 08-04-2010 12:20 AM

bump? lol

Micar 08-04-2010 01:04 AM

Not bad guide. You dont like ghost? I think its way more valuable on Ezreal then flash.

Also i wouldnt think rushing lichbane that early with not a lot of AP would be smart.

IceDive 08-04-2010 01:08 AM

I really don't like the AD build. Why finish trinity instead of Brut/BF? By last whisper before BT?

GM Bushido Brown 08-04-2010 01:15 AM

why do people keep making guides for a character who get 3-4 guides made a day in the forums and they are all same for AD ez and all the same for AP ez its pretty ridiculous the poster may change the order of items or not rush a certain item, but for ****s sake they are all the same.

Isamaru 08-04-2010 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micar (Hozzászólás 2264049)
Not bad guide. You dont like ghost? I think its way more valuable on Ezreal then flash.

Also i wouldnt think rushing lichbane that early with not a lot of AP would be smart.

The reason why i don't like ghost is because it does nothing against stuns slows and push backs. you gain some speed but you usually are already faster then most champs and 1 good E plus flash and you are almost guaranteed a way out. In short it has more potential to be broken as skill improves where as ghost gives you run speed.

Nice catch on Lich Bane i meant to have it after void not before. >.< fixed! lol

Thanks for the feedback =)

Edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceDive (Hozzászólás 2264067)
I really don't like the AD build. Why finish trinity instead of Brut/BF? By last whisper before BT?

It really depends on the game but most games I end up just buying my final build in a close order to that. I like gaining the extra slow / speed from tri
and Last Whisper is fun for the attack speed earlier on. but honestly if i go on a killing / farming spree and farm up 4 or 5k ill just buy what ever sounds fun at the time / most useful. People will say X item is best for X time but honestly if you play well it wont really matter if you get X 5 minutes early or late.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM Bushido Brown (Hozzászólás 2264120)
why do people keep making guides for a character who get 3-4 guides made a day in the forums and they are all same for AD ez and all the same for AP ez its pretty ridiculous the poster may change the order of items or not rush a certain item, but for ****s sake they are all the same.

I made this because I have seen lots of people Fail at Ezreal and obviously all those guides where not enough. If you don't like the guide fine your entitled to your own opinion but Posting about how "its pretty ridiculous" is just childish. stop trolling and go find someone who cares. If you have something to say about the actual guide however feel free to post more constructive posts.

Thanks

Kungfengshui 08-04-2010 06:02 AM

I just started playing Ez myself (thanks to the other day when all champs were free to play! :) ) and am really enjoying him. I've read most of the guides out there, and it's true, they're 99% the same. Some things I've found so far:

Flash is great for double-blinking both out of a hairy situation (like a gank who can also blink or pounce) and being able to blink twice during a chase to get off multiple Qs and auto-attack longer. My other spell is usually Cleanse, simply because I still struggle to deal with CC in general and it's almost always guaranteed death for Ez. Eventually, I'd like to get good enough to drop Flash for Ignite, as I find myself getting a lot of champs to very low health but unable to finish them off.

I've also found that if you're not solo mid, laning with a champ who can snare or stun is pretty much guaranteed kills and leads to dominating the lane in general. And now that I understand his mechanics, I also think a good number of Ez players (based on watching enemy Ez or playing an alt because he's been picked) don't exploit the extended range of Q enough. It's so good that most times I feel like I'm cheating, especially against champs already weak against ranged or who rely on defensive play like Heim, etc.

Isamaru 08-04-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kungfengshui (Hozzászólás 2265756)
I just started playing Ez myself (thanks to the other day when all champs were free to play! :) ) and am really enjoying him. I've read most of the guides out there, and it's true, they're 99% the same. Some things I've found so far:

Flash is great for double-blinking both out of a hairy situation (like a gank who can also blink or pounce) and being able to blink twice during a chase to get off multiple Qs and auto-attack longer. My other spell is usually Cleanse, simply because I still struggle to deal with CC in general and it's almost always guaranteed death for Ez. Eventually, I'd like to get good enough to drop Flash for Ignite, as I find myself getting a lot of champs to very low health but unable to finish them off.

I've also found that if you're not solo mid, laning with a champ who can snare or stun is pretty much guaranteed kills and leads to dominating the lane in general. And now that I understand his mechanics, I also think a good number of Ez players (based on watching enemy Ez or playing an alt because he's been picked) don't exploit the extended range of Q enough. It's so good that most times I feel like I'm cheating, especially against champs already weak against ranged or who rely on defensive play like Heim, etc.

It sounds like you got a good hold of how to play Ezreal. Personally I'm not a fan of Cleanse but it is very good if your getting hit with a lot of cc. try a game with flash ignite just for fun see how you fair =P

Isamaru 08-05-2010 09:47 AM

bump!

Ahrimal 11-05-2010 02:23 PM

A Guide Much Appreciated

Outstanding guide. Short and to the point. While still explaining to new Ezrael players the significance of each recommendation. Though I would like to see your skill build order explained.

"-Skill lvling: R-Q-E-W"
is very definitive, but many AP Ez players may question your reasoning. So while you've explained the use and benefits of each skill. You could explain why to take the skills in that order and if there are any exceptions.

I've never really been a good Ez. Never really understood how to build him item-wise or proper skill orders. I also didn't like taking the time in a normal game to experiment (practice doesn't tell you ****) because I hated being ineffective and feeding. However, this guide has helped me immensely to feel confident in item/skill builds as well as pointing out that ez needs to just farm like mad to be successful. Started playing him again for the first time in 6months or so. First 3 games since using this build (with minor modification as needed) has set me up with the following scores.

-First: 2/1/6 AD (Enemy surrendered at 25, I played cautiously)
-Second: 7/5/8 AP (Teammates fed early, we surrendered at 25)
-Third: 16/6/12 AD (5 deaths were end game, fending them off in our base, we lost because team wouldnt push)

I'm by no means incredible with Ez. Nor am I trying to brag. I just wanted to illustrate the difference between those scores and my previous scores, (which I can't look up since it was pre-season 1) But lets just say they were more along the lines of: 4/12/6 or 2/6/5

So in closing:
There may be "3-4 guides a day" on the forums about Ez. But most of them aren't as clear nor as concise. Plus this guide has the feel of someone who's played a lot of Ez. Thanks for getting me past my frustrated avoidance of such a fun champ.