League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Twisted Treeline (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Dorans, Boots, or Piece Item First? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1916053)

SheriffV2 03-14-2012 07:51 AM

Dorans, Boots, or Piece Item First?

I never know whether to buy a Dorans, Boots/Pots, or a piece item... >_<

I usually go Dorans or Boots in 5v5, depending on which champ/lane.But in 3v3 I'm not sure if I should use the same logic.

Since games don't last long enough for a full build, that ~230 gold could be better spent building a crucial item faster. But the Dorans can really help with the lvl 1 ganks. And Boots help you get to ganking brushes faster than your opponents.

So many choices, I always regret my decision regardless of what I get >_<

Zazaku 03-14-2012 08:06 AM

For any champ I'm building ap on I'll start with a ring. If I'm running jungle or top lane I build cloth armor first and if I'm staying bottom with an ad user I'll grab boots first. W/health pots for either cloth or boots

PDiddy 03-14-2012 09:54 AM

Yeah pretty much this ^

theres a few exceptions. When i play nunu i start with a health gem for a lvl 6 catalyst. But really if you stuk with Zazaku's advice i think you'd be fine

Oh also depends on you're runes masteries, somtimes against a squishy team if im laning xin Ill get dorans blade. That extra dmg puts me at a whopping 87AD at level one and the extra 100 health allows me to take a tower hit or 2 when going for the double kill.

Yefo 03-14-2012 09:54 AM

I agree with Zazaku. I usually go Ring for AP and boots/pots or cloth/pots for anybody else. If I'm top lane vs. another ad, I almost always go cloth/pots.

Also, if you notice you went cloth/pots and they went doran's blade, don't try to kill them in one swoop unless you have the clear advantage. Exchange blows, use a pot, and outsustain them. If you try to fight them when you're both at full til one of you dies, you're at a huge disadvantage. On the other hand, if you make use of pots and simply out sustain them, steadily pushing them away from creeps and denying them, you're making more effective use of your starting items.

Axil 03-14-2012 10:21 AM

Why would you start ring if you're ap?
If you're ap you're probably against another ap champs.. most ap have skill shots and boots help you dodge them

PDiddy 03-14-2012 10:55 AM

because those skill shots dont do more than 100 health...

Svarok 03-14-2012 11:05 AM

item choice is situational its a judgement call and what your comfortable with.
eg. if you are playing against a skill shot champ boots pots outweighs the xtra health and damage from starting ring. just my 2c.

SheriffV2 03-14-2012 11:35 AM

I usually go Dorans Blade on Ranged AD, Boots+Pots on melee AD, Dorans Ring on most AP, and Cloth Armor+Pots on Jungler.

The exceptions are:
- Yorick: Meki Pandant + HP Pot
- Brand: Boots + Hp Pot(s) + MP Pot(s)
- Volibear/Mundo: Regrowth Pendant + HP Pot

Though in 3v3 I feel like Dorans wins out, since it gives you not only 100 health (16-20% of your hp at lvl 1) but also the same AD as a Sword (Can be built into Wriggles/Phage/Brutalizer) Which would be invaluable for those ever present lvl 1 ganks...

Revenge 03-14-2012 11:57 AM

Please keep buying your Dorans items and letting us boots/3pot people push you out of lane

fazisi 03-14-2012 12:32 PM

lol noobs, why buy boots or hp to stop skill shot AP? I buy null mantle so i can take the hits anyways and ward so i can ward bot middle bush for our lvl 1 team fight. FTFW