League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Greedy Players (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1896498)

Malthazar 03-07-2012 05:28 PM

Greedy Players

Hello, I am a rather new player of LOL (level 20). I would really like to play the game tactically, but it seems everybody I play with cares only about kills. They don't have any intention to work as a team to coordinate attacks and such. Instead, everybody runs after enemies like a pack of hungry wild animals and try to score that kill, and flip out for "KSing". I am really getting tired of this. I am also trying to play Urgot, but obviously, people just ignore what I try to do (his ult swaping enemies into the middle of the team) because they don't give a **** about team strategy.

TL;DR everybody builds glass cannons and only care about scoring the most kills. No teamwork, no strategy, and only thing they give a **** about is getting the most kills.

Is there any community of people who aren't like this? I would really like to play this game properly, as it is a team based game...

Sneekydingo 03-07-2012 05:31 PM

If ya aint first ur last.

CokietheClown12 03-07-2012 05:39 PM

it'll start getting better when you level up more

Mortamor 03-08-2012 12:30 PM

Honestly, not to be rude, you're coming to the wrong place (the forums) for sympathy. It's just a massive derpfest out here.

Props for rolling Urgot, though. He's amazingly useful to most any teamcomp, and knowing how to use your ult is something that can make teamfights easy.

xRAWKAx 03-08-2012 12:51 PM

You might do well to add people who you think are playing the way you want to play, then you can have 2 or 3 good teammates you can count on to attempt that teamwork you want.

Viscosity Factor 03-08-2012 12:54 PM

This sounds like 90% of the bot games I've ever played.

PvP is quite different... usually.

Shallow Cubes 03-08-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malthazar (Hozzászólás 21809657)
Hello, I am a rather new player of LOL (level 20). I would really like to play the game tactically, but it seems everybody I play with cares only about kills. They don't have any intention to work as a team to coordinate attacks and such. Instead, everybody runs after enemies like a pack of hungry wild animals and try to score that kill, and flip out for "KSing". I am really getting tired of this. I am also trying to play Urgot, but obviously, people just ignore what I try to do (his ult swaping enemies into the middle of the team) because they don't give a **** about team strategy.

TL;DR everybody builds glass cannons and only care about scoring the most kills. No teamwork, no strategy, and only thing they give a **** about is getting the most kills.

Is there any community of people who aren't like this? I would really like to play this game properly, as it is a team based game...

I read your other thread about the community as well, and it is highly correlated with the situation you describe above.

These are typically newer players or inherently greedy players that might not understand much about the meta game (i.e. a support complaining about KSing).

IMHO, there are several things you could try:
1) Communicate with your team calmly to enhance team coordination. You never know, right? They might not listen to you, they might not change the way they play during that game, but you just might change their minds in future games when they see that team coordination pays off more than individual greed.

2) It may take time, but find players that you work well with and that communicate/coordinate. You run across them every now and then in any kind of game, PvP, ranked, or bot. Remember them, add them. They may not always accept your friend invite, but I'm sure some will. As your pool of friends expands, so will your pool of dependable players that you can count on. (Feel free to add me if you ever want to play with an initiator/support/ad/ap)

3) Building off of #2, keep playing with those dependable friends. Win or lose together, you learn and have fun (which is the most important thing about playing, right?). And, as you level up/rank up/ELO up, you'll find that the community is a bit different and more tactical. Sure, you might still run into some greedy individuals, but you will definitely find a wider array of team players.

4) Invite some of your friends to play LOL, and stick together! You know them already, and you know you can count on them. So get them in the game with you!

5) If you still run into issues with greedy players, just take a deep breath, and if you wish, explain to them how their greed might be hurting the team. They might just curse you out, but that's the beauty of the ignore/mute functions. These are typically last resorts if there really is no reasoning with them and you begin to feel aggravated yourself. One of the worst things you can do is start yelling back. It feeds the rage.

Hope these help, and happy hunting!

TL;DR - Keep in mind and befriend those players that do work well with you and are fun to play with. Not everyone might respond to a friend request, but some will. Widen your pool of dependable players and go into the game queues with premades that you can count on.

Bukumber Express 03-08-2012 01:47 PM

I've noticed that too. Most PvP Normal matches are all about who gets the most kills. I can understand wanting kills while you're trying to get fed, but once you're built and still striving to simply have the most kills is useless. You should feed those kills to your team, get them built, and then try and win.

MeditationError 03-08-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malthazar (Hozzászólás 21809657)
Hello, I am a rather new player of LOL (level 20). I would really like to play the game tactically, but it seems everybody I play with cares only about kills.

As someone who really got into Alistar far too soon after I started, I can totally relate to the frustration of teammates with poor coordination, but I'd caution you against pushing too much blame on your teammates. You seem to have a great attitude, but that doesn't automatically make you a great player.

While it's true that they're a thoughtless ravenous pack of animals, it's up to you to prove that you're any better. Furthermore, you can't change their behaviour, so you need to focus on what you can change in your own.

As one example, for a long time, I would play games where I'd punt an enemy to my team, they'd die quickly, but we'd get slaughtered and lose the teamfight anyway. I thought my inititations were obviously good because my victim died, but looking back I'd bet that I was initiating 4v5 or even 3v5 without realizing it, so what I thought was a good initiation still left us at a disadvantage in the ensuing teamfight.

In addition to Cube's excellent social advice, I'd offer some in-game suggestions to improve your chances of winning:

1) You should try to develop your map awareness to the point where you can call mia's on other people's lanes if they miss them, and are worried whenever you don't know roughly where an enemy is.

Generally, the problem with greedy allies isn't the greed so much as the stupid deaths and stupid bickering. These are usually caused by either bad judgement or tunnel vision, and if you can figure out which is which, you can take precautions. I've turned games around by babysitting suicidally-aggressive carries until they're big enough that doing the exact same stupid thing starts working, and urgot seems a champ with a skillset to do something similar.

The answer to tunnel vision is wards and pings. If people have pushed their lane up and you say "Mia", then hopefully they're aware enough to back off, but maybe they're not. If you drop a ward at dragon, and ping the enemy mid as they head down-river and give a retreat ping for your bot lane who's pushed up to their tower, then you dramatically increase the chances of your allies listening but you also give your mid/jungler a chance to intervene if your bot lane is really that bad that they won't fall back in the face of an impending gank.

Also ward, ward, ward. Your team needs vision, and if you're the only one on your team who will buy wards, then that sucks for your build, but you're still better off buying enough wards. If you haven't been laughed at for how bad you're doing because you're spending all your money on wards while your teammates are profiting from them, then you haven't been placing enough wards. 1 ward per shop is a good amount for everyone on your team, so 5 wards per shop should be about right if you're the only one on your team placing them. That'll be almost all your money and leave you in boots 1 at the end of the game, but you'll be winning. I'm not even exaggerating - I only finally got this through my own thick head when a friend of mine showed me the light with an *absurd* ward spam + clairvoyance support - good vision saves lives and secures kills.

Bickering is a bit trickier. You *might* be able to defuse it by setting a good example whenever you've got the chance (e.g. giving blue to mid. Urgot get's pretty amazing value out of red, but there might be someone on your team who'd get more). You might be in a position to offer the whinger some assists, depending on your own and enemy builds.

It also depends on why they're complaining - if you think that they're playing someone who should be getting kills, maybe you can suggest to them that they save an ability for the killing blow (reading that in a guide improved my Ashe significantly, so there are at least some players bad enough to need to be told ;) ). If you've been a good team player up till then, there's even a chance they'll listen rather than rage-quitting :p

2) You should improve your farm to the point where you can carry without being fed.

It's so easy to not realize how much room for improvement you've got in your basic mechanics. You should benchmark your farm in a custom game to find out what you can do. 100 cs in 10 minutes is one goal I've heard. In a real game, there are lots of things that can stop you farming perfectly, but when you're able to, you need to be able to take full advantage.