League of Legends Community
12345 ... 6

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [GUIDE] Vladimir - The Crimson Reaper of Transylvania! (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=187158)

XAsylumX 07-29-2010 12:10 AM

[GUIDE] Vladimir - The Crimson Reaper of Transylvania!

Vladimir - The Crimson Reaper of Transylvania!

First off, this is my first guide that I have written, so I apoligize if the format isn't to your liking or if I do leave something out. Please do comment on things I can add or subtract to help my future guide-writing!

Vladimir's Abilities:

Transfusion (Q): Vladimir drains the lifeforce of his target, dealing 70/115/160/205/250 (+.6 per ability power) magic damage and healing himself for 25% (+.25 per ability power) of that amount.

This is your bread-and-butter skill, that scales fairly well with AP, and has a low cooldown at max-level.

Sanguine Pool (W): Vladimir sinks into a pool of blood for 2.5 seconds, becoming untargetable and slowing enemies above him by 50%.
Vladimir deals 80/135/190 (+15% of bonus Health) magic damage over the duration and heals himself for 12.5% of that amount.

This is your great escape/turret dodge mechanism! Very useful for turret-diving and escaping fights when need be.

Tides of Blood (E): Vladimir unleashes a torrent of blood dealing 60/90/120/150/180 (+.45 per ability power) magic damage to nearby enemies.
Each cast gives him an Empowered stack (max 4), increasing his healing and regeneration by 8% each. Additionally, his next tides of Blood deals 25% more damage and costs 50% more healh per stack.

Another useful ability that can cause a lot of damage over a period of time, especially in the longer team fights. You must be careful though, as the health costs increases the more you use it in rapid succession.

Hemoplague (R): Vladimir infects the target area with a virulent plague increases the damage they take by 10/14/18% for 5 seconds.
After 5 seconds, infected enemies take 200/300/400(+.75 per ability power) magic damage.

This is your team-fight winner. Not only does it deal massive damage (especially with a good AP build) after 5 seconds, but it allows you AND your teammates to deal extra damage to anybody afflicted by it.

Crimson Pact (Passive): Every 25 points of bonus health gives Vladimir 1 ability power and every 1 point of ability power gives Vladimir 2 bonus health (does not stack with itself).

Very excellent passive, and you will know this if you've played him at all.

I tend to Max out Transfusion and Tides of Blood first, leaving Sanguine Pool for the very last. Though it is excellent for diving/slowing/escaping, it's not necessary to have it maxed until late game.

So the leveling order should look like this:
1: Q
2 :E
3: W
4: Q
5: Q
6: R
7: Q
8: E
9: Q
10: E
11: R
12: E
13: E
14: W
15: W
16: R
17: W
18: W

I chose this progression to get my 3 skills early, then to max out Transfusion and Tides of Blood, leaving Sanguine Pool to the side for later game. I found this to be a very effective way to progress him, as it allows him to deal a very good amount of damage.

Skill Rotation:

Once I get around lvl 7, your rotation should be pretty set. I get in range to Use Tides of Blood, then Transfusion, then immediately follow up with Sanguine Pool to slow them and prevent them from hitting me. By the Time I pop back up my Transfusion and Tides of Blood is ready to go again! Then hit them with the ult if they need to be finished off.

So it looks like this: E > Q > W > E > Q > R

For team fights, the only thing that changes is I will Hemoplague right after Sanguine Pool to allow my team to clean up the rest of the enemies if need be.

Team fights go like this: E > Q > W > R > E > Q

Recommended Summoner Spells:

Exhaust: Extremely useful in early and mid game for kills. Not only will you have your slow from Sanguine Pool, but you will also have a second slow that also blinds your opponent, allowing you more time to beat on them.

Ignite: Extremely useful throughout the entire game, the extra DoT ability will allow you to kill those pesky champions that don't quite die.

Masteries:
Utilize a standard 9/0/21 setup. In offense, spec your masteries so that you can get the extra Magic Penetration, and in Utility, get the masteries that do NOT affect mana. Fairly simple and effective.

Runes:

For this setup, this is what I recommend:
9x Greater Mark of Insight (Magic Penetration)
9x Greater Glyph of Insight (Magic Penetration)
9x Greater Seal of Focus (CDR)
3x Greater Quintessence of Fortitude (Flat HP)

This setup will give you that extra Magic pen needed to bust through your opponents defenses, allow your abilities to come up a little more quickly, and have a little extra health (which also affects your AP)

Item Build:
Ok, this is fairly simple, yet can be complicated at the same time, but not really (have I confused you yet?) For this build, I typically go AP over Health, but I don't forget health whatsoever.

At game start, buy an Amplifying Tome and 1x Health Potion. The Health Potion is optional as you have a life-stealing ability. Getting the Amp. Tome first helps build towards your 2nd item and gives you a small boost at the start of the game.
Next, get your boots and turn them into Sorcerer's Shoes for the (you guessed it) Magic Penetration.

Next, build your Haunting Guise. The +200 Health and +25 AP is nice. And guess what? It's another +20 to Magic Penetration!

After that, I would HIGHLY suggest building Rylai's Crystal Scepter, purchasing the AP items in the recipe first. Once you have it made, the slowing component is endlessly useful. (note that the slowing effect from the Scepter DOES [thanks to xahhfink6] stack with Sanguine Pool's effect)

This is when you want to get your Spirit Visage. The added Regeneration and CD Reduction is extremely valuable to Vladimir, as it allows him to use his spam-nuke just that much faster!

If you get this far (which happens more than not) get Zhonya's Ring for an immense boost to your AP, and the nice Active for those "oh ****!" situations.

The final slot is all a matter of preference, just make sure it's Health or AP. Larkhill suggest Will of the Ancients for the added AP and Spell Vamp, which I found to be very, very usefull!

So your Item Setup/Buy order should look like this:

Amplifying Tome/Health Potion
Sorcerer's Shoes
Haunting Guise
Rylai's Crystal Scepter
Spirit Visage
Zhonya's Ring
Will of the Ancients

(you can switch Zhonya's and Will of the Ancients according to your preference, since it is cheaper and gives the Spell Vamp)

The Early Game Vladimir:
Alright, so you've began your game as Vladimir. Though he does make a very good mid-lane player, chances are that your team will not have you in mid, so don't get over-ambitious should you be on Top or Bottom lane, YOU'RE SQUISHY in early game. Try to coordinate with your team. By level 3 you should be able to control whatever lane you're in with relative ease. Believe me, it's easier than you think to harass with Vladimir.

The Mid Game Vladimir:
This is the most crucial part of the game for Vladimir. At level 9 your Q should be maxed out and it's time to start getting those kills racked up! Make sure you don't go into a fight without your pool up, however, should you find yourself in a bind and need to make a quick escape. It'll also help you keep your rotation in check.

The Late Game Vladimir:
Once you reach level 14, it's game over for anyone who isn't a tank on the enemy team. If you did your build and skill progression correctly, you should be easily able to dominate any person on the enemy team 1v1, and your participation in teamfights will be priceless with Hemoplague!

Now get out there and Rip it up as this excellent hero!

All feedback/comments/(constructive) critisims are greatly appreciated!

[UPDATE]: 7/29, Tweaked the item build thanks to some excellent input from Larkhill, thank you!
7/29, Thanks to more user input and further experimenting, tweaked the Skill rotation order

XAsylumX 07-29-2010 01:09 AM

These are from my previous post with the wrong title.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larkhill (Hozzászólás 2178405)
very rarely do i find people building enough MR for void staff to be necessary. i prefer will of the ancients for the ap and spell vamp

warmogs is a silly, terrible item. spirit visage is cheaper and better in almost every way for vlad.

I tried your two suggestions the past couple of games, Larkhill, and really see your point on this. I will make those adjustments to the guide ASAP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanngetal (Hozzászólás 2178664)
Get mejais,leviathan,sorcerer shoes,rylais,zhongyas,abyssal....you end with 500+ ap and 4.3k+ hp...800 damage with q spell spammable every 2 seconds....enough said

Sanngetal, 2 snowball Items on one build is very, VERY risky business, but does pay off if you don't die at all. I tend to shy away from snowballs.

XAsylumX 07-29-2010 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xahhfink6 (Hozzászólás 2179269)
Couple things... there are no Mpen glyphs, I think you mean AP/level... The slow from rylais does stack with his pool (look it up or test it yourself)... and you should ALWAYS pop your E before your Q, because it will increase the hp you regain.

Thank you xahhfink6, your input is appreciated...oh yeah, and look up Greater Glyph of Insight :P

Manse 07-29-2010 03:59 AM

I would suggest adding a Mejai's. You will usually end up with several assists, and the AP>HP conversion of Vladdy's passive makes this even more appealing as you need far fewer stacks than most characters to make it effective.

Math:

Assuming Needlessly Large Rod, AP is 20g/AP.

Assuming Giant's Belt, HP is 2.58g/HP

Mejai's costs 1235. In order to make the investment worthwhile on AP alone, you have to get enough AP out of it to get below 20g/AP. This occurs at 6 stacks (6 stacks = 68AP = 18.16g/AP)

However, when we consider the additional HP into the combined cost, the item becomes cost effective at 4 stacks (almost 3). At 4 stacks, you get 52 AP and 104 HP, which are "worth" 1040g and 268g, respectively. At 3 stacks, you're close with 44 AP and 88 HP (effective cost 1107).

If you can get over 4 stacks and maintain it for the majority of a game, you're getting free AP.

XAsylumX 07-29-2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wherewolf (Hozzászólás 2179542)
I would suggest adding a Mejai's. You will usually end up with several assists, and the AP>HP conversion of Vladdy's passive makes this even more appealing as you need far fewer stacks than most characters to make it effective.

Math:

Mejai's costs 1235. In order to make the investment worthwhile on AP alone, you have to get enough AP out of it to get below 20g/AP. This occurs at 6 stacks (6 stacks = 68AP = 18.16g/AP)

However, when we consider the additional HP into the combined cost, the item becomes cost effective at 4 stacks (almost 3). At 4 stacks, you get 52 AP and 104 HP, which are "worth" 1040g and 268g, respectively. At 3 stacks, you're close with 44 AP and 88 HP (effective cost 1107).

If you can get over 4 stacks and maintain it for the majority of a game, you're getting free AP.

The problem I see with snowball items such as Mejai's is that the item takes up a slot and only gives you 20 AP (+40 HP with passive) without any stacks on it. Why would I put that in a slot where I could have say, Zhonya's? or Spirit Visage?

I do sometimes use Mejai's, but I don't recommend it for Vladimir.

Sanngetal 07-29-2010 09:44 AM

It may be 2 snowballs but I find vlad as an excellent first blood champ on mid.

At level 6 you got a guarantee kill to a champion with full health.

Just start with ulti Hemoplague, then proceed with Transfusion then do the Sanguine pool(to deal damage and slow him meanwhile ur abilites get ready again), when u come out do tides of blood, then if Transfusion is ready cast it and if not end with ignite.

Whenever I can I always use Transfusion on enemy champion just to remember him that if he gets close enough to me I wil recover from the damage he makes me plus dealing high damage to him.

About the snowball items I have always used them and I believe that at 5 stacks it pays for itself, but whenever enemy mid champion is a ***** to kill then my build seems like this(no order):

Sorcerer shoes, Rylais, Zhongyas Ring, Void Staff, Abyssal...if you feel like you got enough damage but you are getting killed quickly I suggest a plain Giants belt then build what you want but no warmogs please.

XAsylumX 07-29-2010 09:50 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I find snowball items to be no where near cost-effective enough unless you're rick-rolling the other team and you can maintain 10+ stacks? Just my thought. Hence the reason why I don't place them in my item build list for this guide. If I were to use a snoball though, I'd replace WoTA with an early Mejai, if anything.

IronMongrel 07-29-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wherewolf (Hozzászólás 2179542)

Math:

But the other items with just HP or just AP also give the benefit, so it's pretty much the same thing.

Also, to the guy that said get snowballs before you get other items: Kills are scarce early game compared to late game. You hamstring yourself for the next at least 3 kills you get before it even breaks even with buying another item. That can take a while. Snowballs stack up fastest late game where group fights net at least 5 stacks, and up to 10.

XAsylumX 07-29-2010 12:58 PM

Very true there Mongrel, This is why I don't suggest getting snowballs and relying on them. For a damage build with Vladimir, snowballs only make sense later in the game if you're doing well.

XAsylumX 07-29-2010 02:32 PM

any other critiques and comments (yes, even positive ones!) are welcomed and encouraged!