League of Legends Community
12345 ... 8

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [GUIDE] Vladimir's Skill Synergy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=185593)

Quinnister 07-28-2010 02:36 AM

[GUIDE] Vladimir's Skill Synergy

Full Guide: http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/guide/6763-vladimir-s-synergy.xhtml

1. Introduction
Vladimir has gotten a bad rap from the League of Legends crowd. He's being called weak. Personally, I'd dispute this. Vladimir is not weak, however, he also is not strong or overpowered. Vladimir is relatively close to balanced. I've seen him compared to Mordekaiser: tanky, but without the ability to deal much damage. Effectively, ignorable in a team fight.

Let me tell you one thing -- Vladimir should not be fully ignored in a team fight. With 4 stacks of Empowered from Tides of Blood, he'll be popping quite a bit of AoE damage every 3-4 seconds. Is he going to be hurting as much as a Fiddles Crowstorm? No, but he will do his part.

Without further adieu, behold the majestic synergy of Vladimir's skills.

2. FAQs
  • 1. Why do you not have any CDR?
    Here is my main issue with CDR. Do remember that his E is a primary source of damage and will cost a whopping 300 health. Although his short CDs seem to make CDR a smart choice, this also increases the amount of health he will be expending on his spells.

On the other hand, increasing AP will increase his amount of damage dealt, thereby increasing his amount healed. In my opinion, this will be more sustainable in a team fight. I will admit, CDR is a powerful way to increase his damage, but it's also a way to blow more HP in a fight. It may be efficient, however, so I will look more into. Right now, however, I feel AP is a safer route because, not only is it giving you more HP with every point, but it is also a surefire way to both increase your DPS and healing.

2. Why do you not use Spirit Visage? It's perfect for Vladimir!
    Personally, I am not a fan of Spirit Visage, despite how logical the item may seem on him. Consider this -- compare Visage to the Haunting Guise item choice I have chosen. Against an enemy with 50 MR, using magic penetration runes, a Vladimir will have 20 more magic penetration and 33 more AP. With Visage, he will simply have 20% more healing. The Visage by itself would do 178 damage and heal for 53.5. The Haunting Guise build will deal 226 and heal for 63 HP. Also recall, the Haunting Guise build is similarly tanky due to his passive and may even have a greater EHP, depending on the situation.

3. Why not Deathfire Grasp? It's another nuke to help your burst.
    Also recall that a small part of DFG's inherent value is tied to its mana regen and this component is a larger part of the item which building up. Although, I do enjoy DFG on casters, always remember that you are paying for some parts of it which you may not use. Also, it is not a particularly efficient item for AP, thereby reducing your total HP. I will admit, however, the nuke is a very good nuke to have on your hands as an anti-tank spell and that it will give you a sizable amount of CDR, but also see FAQs question #1.

DFG, however, is a solid counter pick item, regardless of how Vladimir's HP costs are affected by CDR.

3. Abilities
Crimson Pact This is what makes Vladimir great. It's what allows him to pull decent damage, while still being tanky. Without this passive, Vladimir is not great at all.

Transfusion This is a hell of a laning skill and an all-around great nuke to have around. The HP gained from it may be minimal, but Transfusion has a short CD. Use it to keep up your HP at all times.

Sanguine Pool This is what will allow you to escape sticky situations. Most importantly, though, is the amount of healing you can pull off with this skill in a team fight.

First off, consider the cost of casting Sanguine Pool. It's 15% of your current health. Therefore, it should be used when your HP is low. We'll discuss why your HP will be low in a second, however, just know that it should be used whenever you're on the brink of dying in a team fight. This will allow you regain a large amount of health, be virtually invulnerable for 2.5 seconds, and recast your Q to further regain health.

Tides of Blood This is a VERY damaging skill. Look at the stacks. At 4 stacks, you'll be hurting yourself for 300 HP with every cast, but you're already dealing 200% damage. Given that you're hitting every enemy in range, this makes it an incredibly good farming skill and team fight attack. Making use of this low CD nuke will allow you to deal constant damage in a team fight. Sure, your HP will get low, but remember Sanguine Pool.

Tides of Blood is also going to boost your healing received. This means it synergizes well with your W and Q for regaining HP. Hence, this will make up your main combo. Spam Q and E in team fights until your health is low. Then, use your Hemoplague and Sanguine Pool, using their low HP costs because of your low HP, to regain your HP. Then, resume Transfusioning and Tides of Blooding after you have regained HP.

Hemoplague Not only is this a decently strong AoE nuke, but the extra damage gives even more synergy to Vladimir. When you deal more damage, you'll also heal more HP from Transfusion and Sanguine Pool. Hence, this doubles as a way to regain more HP and stay in fights longer.

• 3. The Synergy
    In most team fights, just spam your Tides of Blood and Transfusion. Transfusion will help offset the rising costs of Tides of Blood and Tides of Blood will make you an AoE damage presence.

As your HP declines, use your Hemophage and Sanguine Pool in conjunction to regain health. When you come out of the Sanguine Pool, use Transfusion again to regain more HP. If you have enough to resume Tides of Blooding, do so, as it will rack up even more damage.

If need be, activate Zhonya's active ability to give you another second or two to let your CDs come off and heal more.

From here, repeeat. Use Tides of Blood and Transfusion to deal damage and Sanguine Pool your HP back up when it drops.

• 4. Masteries + Runes
    Personally, I go 9/21/0 with Vladimir. Why? First off, he can't do much with 9 points in support, given that he doesn't use mana. Second, the bonus HP really helps out early on from the defense tree. Third, he deals a ton of magic damage, and you really want the 15% magic penetration from the offensive tree.

For runes, take Magic Penetration Marks. This is because he thrives on magic damage. Not only will this increase your damage, but it will increase your healing by proxy.

For seals, take scaling HP. For other champions, dodge or mana regen is permissible. For Vladimir, though? He's getting AP from his HP. It works out perfectly.

For glyphs, take scaling AP. This will give a healthy boost to his damage and HP. All around goodness for Vladimir.
5. Items
Click for build.
http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Vladi...5b9f76adf85256

Items should be built in this order.

1. Why Doran's Shield? Although Vladimir is a great laner, he can still make use of that extra AP from the HP of the shield and HP regen. It'll get him through the early laning phases without a hitch.

2. Haunting Guise gives everything Vladimir needs. The HP turns to AP, the AP turns to HP, the magic penetration lets you do more damage and heal more.

3. Rylai's works likewise. It's one of the only pure HP-AP items in the game and works perfectly on Vladimir.

4. After this, you hit the sweet spot for Zhonya's AP boost. It becomes the most efficient AP item in the game, barring a well fed Mejai's Soulstealer. Hence, we'll take it.

Alternative Items:
Deathfire Grasp
Deathfire Grasp is useful against an HP stacking team. It will result in one hell of a nuke being launched against them. It's a situational item, but it will have its place against the right tank.

Void Staff
Void Staff is going to be a beast of an item against teams with a lot of MR. Given that flat penetration is going to be only effective up to a point and degrades in effectiveness as the enemy stacks more MR, if you're seeing the average enemy with greater than 60-70 MR, I highly suggest getting Void Staff to increase your damage, and therefore healing.

Mejai's Soulstealer
I don't list this item in my main build on principle because Leaguecraft assumes 20 stacks, and because I don't like to assume that snowball items will have too many stacks. If you can maintain over 6-7 stacks, use this item because it will be efficient. If you're not so confident in having that many all the time, feel free to skip Soulstealer. Just know it is an efficient item with enough stacks.

6. Skilling Order
See full guide.

• 7. Summoner Abilities
    The only summoner skill I truly suggest is Ghost. Combined with his Sanguine Blood, Vladimir is able to escape most any situation. He can't be hit by almost any stun in that combination and also will be moving amazingly fast and slowing anyone who walks in his pool of blood massively.

Besides that, feel free to use something like Ignite or Exhaust. Consider using Ignite along with his ult to deal massive damage to an enemy, who may no longer be in your sight anymore.

Zargonzo 07-28-2010 02:41 AM

Not a bad guide.

The only thing that makes Vlad a little underpowered is the person who plays him.

His is a very tough champ to get used to, but is one of the best initiators, with a great ability in the middle of a heated fight to turn the tide of battle.

I still don't consider him a tank however.

Quinnister 07-28-2010 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zargonzo (Hozzászólás 2163308)
Not a bad guide.

The only thing that makes Vlad a little underpowered is the person who plays him.

His is a very tough champ to get used to, but is one of the best initiators, with a great ability in the middle of a heated fight to turn the tide of battle.

I still don't consider him a tank however.

He's more of an off-tank. With Rylai's and something like Zhonya's, he'll probably break 3k HP.

I'd call that tanky enough to be called a tank.

chemwiz 07-28-2010 04:26 AM

I could be wrong, but I thought Sanguine Pool was 20% of current health, not 15.

RickTroller 07-28-2010 04:35 AM

Except for Doran's Shield, that's how I build him.
And this guy claimed my build sucked, lol.

PickleChutney 07-28-2010 05:03 AM

He seems underwhelming.

07-28-2010 05:39 AM

One thing people have to realize about him is he is not a damage dealing nuker, he is an AOE supporter. With his AOE slow and damage buff with his ult he lets his team deal a lot more damage to the enemy.

one thing i do think is important for him is cooldown reduction. currently omen and spirit visage seem to be the only 2 viable ones items to get as far as this

P4Powned 07-28-2010 05:41 AM

The best build is:

Sorcerer's Boots
Spirit Visage
Rylai's Scepter
Rod of Ages (The HP increases into AP, and the AP increased into HP the longer with the minute)
Rod of Ages
Rod of Ages

Manse 07-28-2010 05:44 AM

I also disagree with Koran's as a first item for vlad. The ap increase from the shield will be a whopping 5. I would suggest getting an ability tome and rushing soulsteal. If you aren't comfortable with snowball items, the tome builds to rylai's.

Manse 07-28-2010 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P4Powned (Hozzászólás 2164481)
The best build is:

Sorcerer's Boots
Spirit Visage
Rylai's Scepter
Rod of Ages (The HP increases into AP, and the AP increased into HP the longer with the minute)
Rod of Ages
Rod of Ages

This sounds like a terrible idea, unless you're in a very low bracket and getting fed like crazy. You are losing, at a minimum, 400 gold per rod as wasted mana. You would be far better served taking one of those rod slots for a force is nature, which might make tides of blood not hurt near as much