League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   "need" a tank? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1804499)

HowFortuitous 02-09-2012 02:23 PM

"need" a tank?

It seems most games I get in people start calling for a tank. That said, it doesn't seem like a tank is really needed. Sure, you want somebody who is tanky, but most melee AD or AP will cover that (most meaning more than half) and you want some form of initiation, but the concept that tanks are needed seems to be rather outdated. Has anybody else noticed that the obsession with proper tanks seems rather outdated?

Biopanda 02-09-2012 02:32 PM

I have the same situation, like with supports and tanks, when there isn't really many original tanks compared to fighters, melees, etc.

Eaglefort 02-09-2012 02:35 PM

IMO, you should never just have ONE tank.
You should have 2 Tanky champs, like ree sin and shyv. Both can be tanky and will also deal lots of damage. Or rammus and irelia.

Solo top and the jungler are usually these 2 tanks.

UbberTengen 02-09-2012 02:46 PM

Mostly because tanks have skill for initiate.. the best for me is 1 tank and 2 or 3 tanky dpsand one of them for initiate.

HowFortuitous 02-09-2012 03:08 PM

I've found that as long as you have a strong initiation, AoE CC of any form works, or any form of solid AoE, it works fine. Wukong isn't a tank, but he's a great initiation. As long as you have two or three peoples who can protect the ranged AD and the AP, it's all pretty much okay.

MetalGuitarist 02-09-2012 03:11 PM

I'm just guessing, but I imagine it's harder to play a tanky dps champ and protect the carries then a true tank.

Hyosun 02-09-2012 03:14 PM

you just need some beef to go up in the front line and let your carries do their thing. A full-on tank is not an outdated concept, it just needs a place in the meta and jungle is where it's at. Lee Sin, Amumu, Rammus, Skarner, Udyr.

iPhailures 02-10-2012 06:53 AM

AD Carries cannot take on a role of the tanks because they don't have that must survivability, therefore tanks goes in adn take damage for you while you go in and kill dem. For example, cho'goth or rammus, we know are one of the popular tanks, try going against them with AD carry. Rammus is known for his Anti-AD skills. Therefore, You need a tank. (Tip: If you're AD and going against rammus, try getting Last Whisper)

Wylade 02-10-2012 07:55 AM

I find that what most teams truly want out of their tanks is someone to initiate. If I play Yi or Xin, and we don't have a tank to start fights, I can't get into a fight to do any damage, and we lose because of it. You need someone to start fights for your team at all times.

Zenbear 02-10-2012 08:09 AM

You need a few beefy champs period otherwise you will find your team melting.