League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   MrButtermancer's Ultimate Guide to Owning with the Angry Little Ball-of-Kill, Veigar (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=172386)

MrButtermancer 07-18-2010 02:58 PM

MrButtermancer's Ultimate Guide to Owning with the Angry Little Ball-of-Kill, Veigar

MrButtermancer's Ultimate Guide to Owning with the Angry Little Ball-of-Kill:

Right. First off is Veigar Theory.

Veigar is a VERY hard nuker with great harassing potential and laning perseverance. His AP ratios are quite strong, and for what he's capable of, his cooldowns are almost unfairly low. What makes Veigar quite scary, however, *isn't his damage output but his spike (burst) damage potential.*

As such, Veigar is best played as a "hit and run" nuker; he must chase his opponent, unload his combo, and escape. One of the MOST important aspect of Veigar is his mobility, Veigar MUST be able to move fast enough to catch an opponent with his snare or he will be useless. As such, *move speed takes great priority on Veigar.* With this in mind, MOVE SPEED Quintessences should be equipped on him, and Boots of Swiftness should be purchased over Sorceror's Boots. Veigar should also equip "Ghost" as one of his Summoner Spells. This may seem counterintuitive at first, but play Veigar long enough and the movement advantage will become obvious.

With move speed Quintessences and no Sorcerer's Boots, Veigar should be specified nine points into offense for 15% Magic Penetration. He should additionally purchase nine Magic Penetration Marks and a Void Staff.

The next interesting aspect of Veigar is, strangely enough, his (new) passive.

When Veigar is missing X% mana, he regenerates mana at .5X% his normal rate. Now if something is worth using, it's worth abusing. This passive is considered nest-to-useless by many players, but it can really shine in the laning phase and even onwards. There are two things that can be done to fully abuse this passive. Veigar's passive stacks with bonus mana regeneration, so the first thing we can do is *buy a full set of scaling mana regeneration seals for Veigar, and spec into mana regeneration in the Utility Tree.* Veigar's meager mana regen is now considerable.

Next, buy a Chalice of Harmony.

Veigar should start with a Meki Pendant and two Health Potions, so the 500g upgrade (purchased as soon as convenient) is practically nothing. *Chalice of Harmony stacks with Veigar's Passive, granting 250% (100%(Natural)+50% (Equilibrium)+100%(Chalice)) normal mana regeneration at 0 mana.*

Summoner-to-Summoner, let me tell you that Veigar's mana regeneration with this item and runes is just stupid. He can spam his spells endlessly. The scaling runes really really kick in at about level six.

Alright. We've covered Veigar theory; how Veigar ticks, and very basic mana management. Now let's get into the meat of how to play and build this demon-midget.

Final Pre-Game Build Strategy:

We've already covered what Marks (Magic Penetration), Seals (Scaling Mana Regeneration), and Quintessences (Movement Speed) Veigar should have, but this still leaves Glyphs. I personally prefer Scaling Cooldown Reduction, as after Veigar has reached his potential with these other bonuses, the only thing slowing him down will be his cooldowns. Conveniently, with this setup, one acheives that golden perfection of having each bonus within it's own class (marks are magic pen, offense, seals are mana regen, defense, glyphs are cooldown reduction, magic) for maximum efficiency.

Mastery-wise, we've already established Veigar should spec nine points into offense for % magic penetration. The rest of the points should go into the Utility Tree, prioritizing skills that give mana or mana regeneration. Make sure to additionally pick up the enhanced ghost and 3% movement speed.

We are ready for the Laning Phase.

Veigar's first items, as mentioned before, should be a Meki Pendant and two health pots. *Ideally Veigar will go mid. Veigars in side lanes will need to deal with two opponents and may be obligated to help their laning partners in early pushing or aggression. This is NOT ideal.* The rest of this guide will be written with the assumtion that Veigar is taking the mid lane.

The first skill one should take as Veigar is Baleful Strike. You will be spending levels 1-7ish and hopefully a little longer farming as much AP as you possibly can. This is also Veigar's bread-and-butter ability in the laning phase, and should be MAXED first. There is an exception to every rule, and this generalization is no exception. If Veigar is midding against Heimerdinger you should max Dark Matter as quickly as possible, having a teammate cover for you as soon as you get 500 gold for a Chalice. You will be nuking Heimer's Turrets as often as you can in this instance, attepting to farm with Baleful as normal and harass if possible.

Farming Baleful Strike will be frustrating at first, it's relatively long cooldown early on and low damage will make last hitting minions tricky.

Sometimes, it will be impossible to last hit a minion with Baleful Strike due to it's cooldown not being refreshed; in this instance, a good Veigar will kill that minion with an autoattack. It can be easy to get into the habit of using JUST Baleful Strike, but you don't want to be outfarmed. Also, *don't push.* There is no use being aggressive as Veigar until level four at least, and you should stay as close to your turret as possible while making quick excursions forward to Baleful Strike low-hp minions. Remember to stay within range for the XP, however. Do not stay TOO far back.

Veigar's next skill (level 2) should be Event Horizon.

Use it if the enemy reaches your turret in order to scare them away/keep them from attacking it. If you are laning against an aggressive player, use it on them to halt their advancements. Until you have shopped the first time, use it sparingly. Next, level Baleful Strike again. During level three, try to use only Baleful Strike and save up 300ish mana for use in the next step at level four.

*During level four, aquire Dark Matter and nuke your opponent.*

This step is tricky, but it can really turn the tables on your opponent. If you've saved enough mana during level three, and you're a reasonably confident Veigar, you can now fire your first nuke.

This is the trick. You haven't been aggressive at all until this point, maybe only shooting one or two Balefuls at the enemy to keep them on their toes. At this point you *cast Dark Matter BEFORE casting Event Horizon.* The stun on a level one Event Horizon is really quite pitiful, and to land this shot you must take that into account. This may be a tricky shot for some players, but you ideally want to lead your opponent slightly with the Dark Matter, then *catch them on the EDGE of your Event Horizon for an instant stun.* At this point, hit them with a Baleful Strike and Ignite. This is the best second summoner skill for Veigar; he is all about dealing damage quickly and Ignite can really deal that last 150 damage.

Unless your opponent is Mordekaiser, he will now have less than 50% health.

This can be quite intimidating. They will ask themselves, "if he hits me for half of my health twice, what will I buy when I return to the fountain?" Not being stupid, many opponents will return to the fountain before being sent there forcefully. At this point, you should have 1500+ gold, enough to buy your starting items, a Chalice of Harmony and Boots of Swiftness. Clear the remaining minions, b, shop, and return to you lane.

If your opponent stays, SO DO YOU. At this point they will be popping health pots and trying to recover. If they are low, don't let them. Baleful Strike whenever they get close. Level Baleful Strike at level five and continue harassing. Try to save up about 500 mana for the lesson you will teach them at level six.

At level six, repeat what you did at level four, but add your ult. It's probably late for First Blood, but hey, gold is gold. Finish the wave, b, shop, and return.

Unless circumstances are favorable for a kill on the mid opponent, get a teammate to cover mid as soon as you have 1500 gold and go buy your chalice and swift boots. If it's Heimer, remember you just need 500 for a Chalice. If it's an opponent particularly skilled with skillshots, buy the boots first. This should be a last-resort though. Don't be afraid to use your health pots, but if you are damaged levels 1-3 try to level through the damage first.

The Teamfighting Phase:

So, you have your boots and chalice, now what? Veigar's next two items will be a Mejai's Soulstealer and a Void Staff. Max your ult and Baleful Strike first, it is up to you whether you need to level Dark Matter or Event Horizon first at this point. If Mercury's Treads are everywhere, level Event Horizon; if the opponets are particularly dense and/or incapable of dodging an ability that makes obvious and obnoxious sparkly noises, level Dark Matter first. Start Ganking.

The Art of the Instagib:

Ah, this is the fun part. Killing a full-hp opponent pretty much instantly. You must realize, this is an ideal that is often difficult in practice, but with patience, you WILL be able to do this to people. At first you won't have stacks or even a Void Staff probably, so you'll need to target lower hp squishies if possible first. Ezreal is a great mark. So is Ashe. Utilize the bushes in teamfights to your advantage and remember, Veigar is hit-and-run. He's also considered garbage by many people so you have to EARN fear. You will be chased if you are seen. If you think there is a possibility of a kill, obviously save your ult for that opponent, but, *if you are not going to kill opponents, soften them up for your teammates. Stacks are stacks.* Use your Event Horizon Dark Matter Baleful Strike combo on as many enemies as you can reach, as often as possible. Slow and harass by spamming Event Horizon. Kill by ending a combo with Ult+Ignite. OVERKILL IS GOOD.

Some things to remember:

Place the Edge of Event Horizon on an opponent to insta stun. Use Dark Matter on minions people are teleporting to an INSTANT before they arrive. Cast Event Horizon around people who have just respawned via Zilean ult or Guardian Angel. Even in tense situations, continue to last hit minions with Baleful Strike. Use Dark Matter to check bushes. When you have enough, buy a Zhonya's Ring.

The last item slot on Veigar should be a Deathfyre Grasp. If the game has progressed this long, Veigar is most likely fed to heck and has a load of AP. Use the Deathfyre burst to initiate on the enemy tank whenever you can; at this point it is possible to instagib tanks if you lead your combo with Deathfyre. If MORE gold is gained, sell the Chalice and buy an Archangels' Staff. Also, sell your boots, buy and use an AP pot, and buy your boots back. It is a good habit to buy bits of items at a time, for instance, if you can't afford a full Void Staff, buy just the Blasting Wand. If you can't afford that, buy the Amplifying Tome.

Lategame instagibs can be led by Event Horizon, as the stun will now last long enough. Next comes Dark Matter which has the smallest window of oppertunity. (If tank, cast Deathfyre here). Then cast Primordial Burst, Baleful Strike, and Ignite. Run away.

Short Recap:

Build: 9/0/21 Masteries, Magic Pen Marks, Scaling Mana Regen Seals, Scaling Cooldown Glyphs, Move Speed Quints. Ghost/Ignite.
(1.q) (2.e) (3.q) (4.w) (5.q) (6.r) (7.q) (8.?) (9.q) (10.?) (11.r) (12.?) (13.?) (14.?) (15.?) (16.r) (17.?) (18.?)
Meki Pendant + 2 HP pots
Chalice of Harmony + Boots of Swiftness
Mejai's Soulstealer
Void Staff
Zhonya's Ring
Deathfyre Grasp
Sell Chalice, buy Archangel's
Sell Boots, buy AP pots, buy Boots back.

Now get out there and carry like a boss.

poundcake 07-19-2010 12:29 AM

The only thing I would change here is instead of a book, I would buy tears
Stacks break
The more stacks you have the bigger target you wear on your head.
Tears = more mana + regen later when you turn it archangel's you will get just as much AP as the book.
I pulled a Zhonya's 2 archangels a deathfire and a lichbane in a long game with heimer for 860 AP if I was veig with the same build I would pass the 1k mark and no stacks to lose should I die.

Crazy Demon 07-19-2010 07:29 AM

Interesting read, will try it out.

Shtoogie 07-20-2010 12:10 AM

Getting void staff that early doesn't really make sense, its really only strong if they are stacking MR (which they wont be early game). DFG is a much better choice as first AP item, adding a (minimum) 200 dmg nuke to your combo early is great, and the CDR and mp5 are all useful. Also it's built in small parts. Also Mejai's is a bad choice because Veigar is so squishy. Don't really agree with not getting sorc boots either. I never really have problems landing EH on people with just sorc boots and no move speed quints or mastery, and with sorcs+runes your spells deal 100% to anyone that doesn't have MR items/runes.

Shoto Matrony 07-21-2010 10:59 PM

Vouch MrButtermancer, I have seen some pretty impressive stats on his profile.

MrButtermancer 07-28-2010 01:57 PM

Here's the thing though... Mejai's is viable.

Don't die.

I went 18/0 on Veigar yesterday.

Another thing, Abyssal is NOT as good as Void, because the Abyssal scepter

1.) Has a limited range, which is SHORTER than the VERY closest you should EVER be to your opponents.

2.) Penetrates a flat amount, and if you're carrying (like you should be) , and the enemy team is stacking MR... that's bad. Void Staff's % will be painful all game long.

MrButtermancer 07-28-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poundcake (Hozzászólás 2025152)
The only thing I would change here is instead of a book, I would buy tears
Stacks break
The more stacks you have the bigger target you wear on your head.
Tears = more mana + regen later when you turn it archangel's you will get just as much AP as the book.
I pulled a Zhonya's 2 archangels a deathfire and a lichbane in a long game with heimer for 860 AP if I was veig with the same build I would pass the 1k mark and no stacks to lose should I die.

Heimerdinger is much, much, much better at farming than Veigar. Veigar could not afford those items until VERY late game (in which case you would swap out the Chalice for an Archangel's like my guide suggests... moving on at your discretion.)

GM Bushido Brown 07-28-2010 03:12 PM

@ OP i played a ranked game against you yesterday you went like 23-5 and some number of assist but your team lost, and there was a shen on your team who blamed you for the loss. Anyway decent guide

Matthew21210 07-28-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shtoogie (Hozzászólás 2040327)
Getting void staff that early doesn't really make sense, its really only strong if they are stacking MR (which they wont be early game). DFG is a much better choice as first AP item, adding a (minimum) 200 dmg nuke to your combo early is great, and the CDR and mp5 are all useful. Also it's built in small parts. Also Mejai's is a bad choice because Veigar is so squishy. Don't really agree with not getting sorc boots either. I never really have problems landing EH on people with just sorc boots and no move speed quints or mastery, and with sorcs+runes your spells deal 100% to anyone that doesn't have MR items/runes.

Logged in to -1
You apparently don't understand that your face. Merc treads (on the enemy) will make a void staff get you just as much pen as sorc boots, and better later on. He's dropped sorc for boots three or... "Utility" because utility is unique and damage is not.

DFG is a fairly good item on spam casters (like malzy) but for "nuker/harasser" champs, the runes will keep up nicely, and void staff will be effective late game, while DFG will just be an... item that is detracting from the damage you could be doing right now.
Mejai's is always a personal choice and I have to call OP out on not mentioning that, though less so because it fits well with the playstyle he's preaching.

Your playstyle may differ I guess? Go write your guide matey.

on a side note, I was of the opinion his passive sucked too, but I didn't think to relentlessly rape it to death in a back alley with three friends....