League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide]Kog'Maw: The Mobile Artillery Way (AP Guide) (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=171904)

VejiTehDestroyer 07-18-2010 06:26 AM

[Guide]Kog'Maw: The Mobile Artillery Way (AP Guide)

Kog M.A.W.: The Mobile Artillery Way (AP Guide)

Backstory:

<Insert here> If you are really raging to read it and haven’t read it yet, then visit http://www.leagueoflegends.com/champions/96/kog_maw_the_mouth_of_the_abyss

Kog Maw the Mobile Artillery Way:

Kog Maw is a fantastic champion that can be played in 1 of 2 ways: As a 50 caliber Gatling gun or as an M110 Howitzer. If you are looking to build him into a 50 caliber Gatling gun, please review sKitz24’s guide http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=151568

If you are looking to man that M110 Howitzer, then read on as this is an AP build that I feel suits Kog Maw quite nicely.

This guide is aimed building around Living Artillery and AP, with Void Ooze as the outstanding second ability. When playing this build, you are not a tower pusher. I repeat, you are not a tower pusher or a ganker. Your role is to defend towers like its no one’s business and to follow behind your team and provide the weapons of mass destruction.

You will not be a good 1v1 player late game, so get used to being with the team and if not, guard towers, mid is usually a great place to start since everyone blindly attacks mid again and again. This is where your champ kills will come from.

If your team cries about kill shot stealing, tell them to “SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP!” – This is a team game and not a personal glory game. The point is to win by all means possible and even with being a Howitzer, getting a few kills with them skill shots is going to be a lot harder than their close range ult of death is.

Abilities:

Icathian Surprise (Passive):
Upon dying, Kog'Maw starts a chain reaction in his body which causes him to move faster and detonate after 4 seconds; dealing 100 + (25 x level) true damage to surrounding enemies.

A great ability in that if you get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, you can run towards your attacker and attempt to take them out with you. If no enemy champs are within the 4 second timer, usually a rather large group of minions will do nicely as the explosion will 1 shot most minions and you will get the gold for the kills. Either way, dying is bad. Don’t die. Don’t feed.

Caustic Spittle (Q):
Passive: Increases Armor Penetration by 13/16/19/22/25%
Active: Kog'Maw launches a corrosive projectile which deals 60/110/160/210/260(0.7 ability power ratio) magic damage and doubles his passive armor penetration for 4 seconds (Removes the passive until available again).

This is going to be our rather useless ability for this build. It’s a great ability, but does not compliment our other ability choices quite so well.

Bio-Arcane Barrage (W):
Kog'Maw's attacks gain 140/180/220/260/300 range and deal an additional 2/3/4/5/6% (0.01 ability power ratio) of the target's maximum Health as Magic Damage (Max: 100 Damage vs Monsters). Lasts 6 seconds.

No matter which build you go or which role you go, this is a great ability and defining ability for Kog Maw. Early game this is a terrific harassing tool for when Void Ooze is down. Its also great for getting extra hits on towers with an enemy champ sitting underneath them, busy killing your minions. Mid to late game, it becomes less used, but is extremely nice for those times when you a need an extra nuke and everything is on cool down. Oh yeah, and it also eats tanks too, but we aren’t building attack speed with this build, so therefore isn’t a main focus.

Void Ooze (E):
Kog'Maw launches ooze which deals 60/110/160/210/260 (0.7 ability power ratio) magic damage to enemies it passes through.
Additionally, it leaves a trail which slows enemies by 28/36/44/52/60% for 4 seconds.

It farms. It harasses. It makes enemy champs think twice about approaching any tower you are guarding. It also slows, so in a pinch try casting it in front of yourself if you running away from melee crazed enemy champs and watch them run thru it. This ability is vital to any Kog Mow build you will ever see.

Living Artillery (R):
Kog'Maw fires artillery from a great distance (1400/1700/2000). After a short delay, the artillery falls dealing 80/120/160 (0.3 ability power ratio) magic damage and reveals targets for 4 seconds (deals 150% bonus damage to Champions).
Each subsequent Living Artillery in the next 6 seconds costs 40 additional mana (Max 250).

This build thrives on this ability. This is what puts the “Howitzer” and this build and the main source of support DPS that I bring to a match. I usually use this in a ballet of living destruction in with my Void Ooze. You see, most people will recognize the LA’s landing point if you just fire it off at them. By having the VO out, you can fire the LA into it and all the notice they have is a thin green line that can be easily missed. Also, you’re gonna love team fights where the enemy champs group together closely, as LA has a small AoE radius that damages champions.

Masteries:

I go with a 9/0/21 build.

9 point is offensive just to get Archaic Knowledge and 21 points in utility to get all that
cool down reduction and mana regen talents.

Runes:

Red: Greater Mark of Insight (+0.95 Magic Penetration) @level 30, +8.85 base Magic Pen

Yellow: Great Mark of Something that either regenerates mana or boosts your ability power. If you have a general caster rune page with dodge runes, that works too. At the time of this guide’s creation, I’m using a page I share for my Mordekaiser build which uses HP regen per level and for Kog, its quite terrible, so I would advise picking up ability power.

Greater Seal of Potency will give you a flat +5.31 AP boost at level 1 and Greater Seal of Force will give you a 0.9 AP boost at level 1 and a 16.2 AP boost at level 18. Either one will work, but whats 16 additional AP at level 18 when you are already stacking multiple +AP items? In my humble opinion, I would go for the flat AP boost to give you extra hitting power in the early laning phase.

EDIT: If you absolutely must have a Guinsoo's Rage Blade, then glyph Greater Seal of Force, as it will make that -35 AP reduction much more palatable.

Blue: Greater Mark of Celerity (0.05% cool down reduction per level/0.9% at level 18). In addition to going down the utility tree, this added CDR will make you blot out the sun with your artillery. It’s a beautiful thing to behold!

Quints: 2 flat health and because they’re so ****ed expensive, I go a Greater Quint of Insight for my 3rd which gives me 1.89 Magic Pen. This brings my initial magic pen up to +10.

Side notes: I always go Clarity with this run setup for the ammunition reload, but if you hate Clarity and think it’s a waste of space, then you will need to go with mana regen runes in your yellow slots as this build eats mana very easily.

Summoner Spells:

I’m not going to cover all of them and tell you if they are effective or not. I use Ghost and Clarity. Ghost for when I either need to get away or get to a tower ASAP. Clarity is awesome with this build because when spamming Living Artillery, a quick reload is a god send without having to go back to base. It will also keep you in the lane longer. Everything else: Up to you, but I’ve had the most success with Ghost and Clarity.

Skilling Priority:

R > E > W > Q
Always always boost your Ult first and then Void Ooze as it’s the second most import skill to this build.

Items:

I start out with Meki Pendant and 2 Health Potions.

Try to stay in the lane until you get 1600 gold and get Sorcerer Shoes (Now +30 Magic Pen) and Chalice of Harmony.

From here, my build order goes:

Rod of Ages - +380 Health +425 Mana +50 Ability Power Passive: Your Champion gains 18 Health, 20 Mana, and 2 Ability Power every 1 min. Bonuses cap at +270 Health, +300 Mana, and +30 Ability Power.

I go with this for many reasons. First, in Kog’s Gatling gun build, the author goes for a Phage > Frozen Mallet for mainly health and health is huge on a caster because nobody likes playing a glass cannon that can die in 2 hits. With the Rod of Ages, after 15 minutes, you are going to have +650 health. If you die, this is a thing of beauty. And also, the +80 AP over time is definitely a great side bonus. All and all, I love this as my first item for the health and AP. When base rushing, I usually always live due to this item.

(Situational) Void Staff - +70 Ability Power UNIQUE Passive: +40% Magic Penetration

Usually I will skip this, but after I get done building RoA, I will take a quick look at what the enemy is building. If I notice more than just Merc Treads for MR, then I’ll skip this item. If I start seeing Guardian’s Armor and Banshee’s Veil, then I will typically grab this.

-OR-

(Situational) Guinsoo’s Rage Blade - +35 Attack Damage +45 Ability Power Passive: On attack or spell cast, increases your Attack Speed by 4% and Ability Power by 6. Lasts 5 seconds (stacks up to 8 times).

If you have suicidal enemy tanks that love tower diving, this is a must. I know, I know, the Gatling gun build thrives on this, but there is no reason to not equip this if you have ballsy tanks. This coupled with Bio-Arcane Barrage and Caustic Spittle is going melt tanks. And if all else fails, at least you are only gimping yourself by 35 AP for a little bit of tower defense insurance.

EDIT: Needlessly Large Rod - +80AP

Zhonya’s Ring - +120 Ability Power UNIQUE Passive: Increases Ability Power by 25% UNIQUE Active: Places your champion into Stasis for 2 seconds, rendering you invulnerable and untargetable but unable to take any actions. 90 sec cool down.

Thanks to ShaShouX for pointing this out - You might want to go Needlessly Large Rods to fill your remaining slots first, because the AP variation between Z'honya's Ring versus price, means that the NLR is a much better in terms to amassing AP vs gold. My recommendation is to go Needlessly Large Rod > Zhonya's Ring > NLR > NLR > NLR

To recap: Meki Pendant > Chalice of Harmony > Boots > Sorcerer Boots > Rod of Ages > (Situational) Void Staff > Needlessly Large Rod > Zhonya's Ring > Needlessly Large Rod > Needlessly Large Rod

Then after filling your slots up with NLRs, begin to complete them as Zhonya's Ring.

How to Play the M110 Howitzer:

Early game – Its all about stayin alive! Stayin alive! Ah!ah!ah!ah! Staaaaaaaayin Allllliiiiiiiiveeee, Stayin Alive. Run around and farm that creep with Void Ooze and keep your Bio-Arcane Barrage for adding power deeps to the enemy champion and when trying to get a few extra long range hits on the enemy tower. Unless you over extend and are mindful of the ******s wondering around in the other lanes and when they go mia, you should be fine.

At level 6, its time to watch your laning partner(s) dance! Start making them run around by dropping Living Artilleries every time you should feel the need. This is where Clarity shines for me, as I tend to spam LA keeping the enemy champ running far, far away from their creep or not last hitting for gold.

At this point, I would like to mention Teemo’s speed boost ability: Move Quick - Teemo scampers around, increasing his movement speed until he is struck by an enemy champion or turret. This little pecker just loves to run around planting mushrooms, so if he is your laning partner, he becomes +50 entertaining as he jukes all around the lane trying to avoid your Living Artillery shots. Its kinda like duck hunt with a sniper rifle. LOL

Mid game – Tower defense and team pushes. If you do not have at least 2, I REPEAT 2 other teammates rushing a lane; you should be guarding a tower. If you have 2 or more and your towers are safe, follow them and provide them with LRDS (Long Range Death Support). You will die. No escaping that.

Once the enemy team realizes that you are the secret ingredient to them losing their team battles, they are going to send as many enemy assassins after you as they possibly can, even behind towers, so stay ranged, stay smart, and in the event someone gets the drop on ya, then Void Ooze > Ghost > kthnxcyabye. If you fail, then by all means, hump their leg like a 5th appendage until you blow up and take them with ya. If they get outta range before you realize you are in atomic bomb phase, the nearest group of minions will work beautifully (and net you some gold too!).

Late game – Same’o, Same’o. Stay Alive. Stay Smart. Push with your team. Guard towers. Constantly blast Living Artillery at enemy champions. With each hit, you should be doing roughly 30-40% of their health bars and if you get lucky and land a Void Ooze on them, then that second LA is going to send them packing. Always remember to stay at range. Going in for a Void Ooze run is nice if you can do it without getting hit. I notice that in team fights, my Void Ooze is always on CD because I go in and drop it right off the bat, then sit back and bring tha rain.

When tanks approach your towers: You will have a Morde/Shen/Alistar tower dive. When they do, E (if off) CD > Q > W > Stand and deliver. With Guinsoo’s Rage Blade, you should be able to put the hurt on them as well as the tower’s dps.

Update 8/16/10:

-
Please be aware of the following changes that are currently being tested on the TR. If these changes come to light, the best build with Kog will be to go hybrid: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=207501
- The reason why these changes outdate this guide is that the AS ratios will change to an extent that going purely AP will hamper Kog's spell ratios. Keep this in mind when reading this guide and please note that this guide is still current until these changes are implemented into the live servers.

Update 9/20/10:

- Riot changed how Caustic Spittle worked and added a passive attack speed buff to it, which omits this guide as viable for mid to high ELO play.
- I currently am playing Kog'Maw with the popular AS/Madred's Bloodrazors build and i will not be changing this guide to show the change, as it requires a completely new guide to explain.

MasqureMan 07-18-2010 08:33 AM

I like it, and as all but one of my ranked matches have been with Kog'maw, I'll put it to good use!

ShaShouX 07-18-2010 08:39 AM

lil advice to save yourself some time and money
now we have a stackable large AP large cost item
so don't bother stacking zhonya's just yet
get yourself a few needlessly large rods first
or as i call them needlesslay large named items
those will give you a better price than the blasting wand
also gives you more AP
and the zhonya's are too costly
by the time you've bought your 2nd zhonya's ring, you've have wasted a lot of time and money...
and you have also wasted another 40AP
here's how it works
2nd zhonya's = 120AP;860+1600+1000 = 3460;bonus
or... the bigrod = 80AP;1600
40 AP difference and more than twice the cost
only start stacking zhonya's after you've gotten the rest of your bigrods

VejiTehDestroyer 07-18-2010 09:33 AM

Well, lets say you go that route:

Needlessly Large Rod = 80AP(x3)=80 + 80=160+80=240
1600+1600=3200+1600=4800
Zhonya's Ring = 120AP(x3)=120 + 120=240+120=360
3460+3460=6920+3460=10380

So yeah, you are at 240AP in just under half the price, but in the mid game:

Zhonya's Ring 120AP (3460g)+Needlessly Large Rod 80AP (1600g)=200AP (5060g)
Needlessly Large Rod 80AP (1600g)+Needlessly Large Rod 80AP (1600g)=160AP (3200g)

Difference is 860g for 40AP more. It makes sense to build the Needlessly Large Rods first, but if you are going for the passive on Z's Ring, that 860 is worth it to go for the ring first and fill out the rest of your slots with NLRs.

Thanks for pointing that out tho. I will make the necessary changes. :)

Dark0verlord 07-18-2010 06:33 PM

You know what's funny... my first time I played Kog'Maw (FIRST TIME) I decided i would F around. I bought a kages lucky pick.... and another lucky pick... and another... and another... Until finally I had 5 Picks and 1 boots of swiftness (bought this last!!!!). After all this not only was a Farming well, but my damage war MORE then decent! (My summoner spells were Flash and Ghost, cause with all this damage I needed an escape plan early game, and LATE) Yeeaaaa i was thriving for mana, but that's why i kept taking the Golem everytime i saw it. Needless to say I was a FAST Howitzer and when ONE combo kills TWO enemies, well then you know this Champ is fun!

MaliceMeister 07-18-2010 10:14 PM

ah i like the idea of ap kog maw, i played that style alot, but since your going to be spamming his ulti, wouldnt it be a good idea to get rylais scepter? imo using that with your ulti will give you a great chasing ability and an escape, i know he has the ooze that he spits out to slow, but with the extra hp and the ability to slow with your ulti, wouldnt it be a viable item aswell? just saying ;3 but great guide though !

no name Cola 07-18-2010 11:11 PM

I would recommend to skip on Chalice. Instead I find getting Tear of the godess or if your worried about HP catalyst first, before boots. Then after you get boots go for Rylais.

You will need rylais if you didn't get catalyst and if you can aim your ult well you'll be next to inescapable.

If you went for catalyst first then upgrade it to rod before or after rylais. If you went for goddess I think its best to delay upgrading it as long as possible.

I find that Rylais synergy with Kog's ult is just too good to pass up.

Great guide overall though, i really like you reasoning on Zhyonya's and NLRs, will try that out as soon as possible.

I would recommend making Rylais a necessary part of this build and opting to replace Chalice with Tear of the goddess, this will allow you to spam your ult near endlessly when paired with Golem buff

VejiTehDestroyer 07-19-2010 06:11 AM

With Clarity, I can avoid the tear and go for Chalice, but i will give it a try.

I'm starting to think that the Archangel Rod would be nice as well. I may also go for Ryalis, but I hate to gimp raw AP for utility. I think either way works, but i'll definitely try both!

Cyrenic 07-19-2010 08:08 AM

I agree with no name Cola. Tear is a core item on Kog Maw, especially if you're going AP and focusing on his ult. You need the mana pool to be able to spam your ult during team fights.

VejiTehDestroyer 07-19-2010 01:09 PM

Nah, it did'nt work out. I tried tear and later upgraded it he Archangel Rod and i was constantly looking for the Clarity button. I dunno why, but Chalice just flat out works better for me.