League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   To all the committed in OT, can I get your opinions? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1670901)

Armaldeus 01-02-2012 11:37 PM

To all the committed in OT, can I get your opinions?

Alright, for those who don't know, me... uh, hey, sup, I'm Armaldeus.

Anyways, I got a question to anyone who is in a relationship/has been in committed relationships...

So, my girlfriend and I met through what people would say makes me a ***** to some people, and we've been happy for a while now, and with the New Year(as cliche as it sounds), I wanna do something special for her birthday/our anniversary(my parents do special things, and it kinda was pounded into my head to do something). I had an idea, but wanted to see the opinion of others, and how they think it'd be..... well, taken, sort of.

So, a little backstory, my girlfriend, like myself, LOVES Coheed & Cambria and The Dear Hunter. Because of this, I wanted to do something that kinda.... involves those. I already know I'm going to learn "She's Always Singing" by The Dear Hunter(its the song we first danced to), and I was thinking.... She was raised on Star Wars, as was I, and the sort of.... predecessor to Coheed & Cambria was a band called Shabutie, and they made this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCORrE3L1YA

To those who don't want to listen, it's basically a love song with Star Wars lyrics.

My question is, do you guys think it'd be a bit much to learn to play this song on guitar, and sing it to her on our anniversary?

Its around.... September/August, so it'd give me PLENTY of time to learn it and "master" it, just kinda curious, if other people think it'd be a good.... I dunno, gesture?

EDIT: Oh, and here's "She's Always Singing".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQT6OaY7NSg&ob=av2e

(I know the opening riff already, as well as all of the lyrics)

ricklessabandon 01-03-2012 12:06 AM

well, speaking from personal experience, how well received a gesture is will vary from person to person. anniversaries are an opportunity to show not only your thoughtfulness through (romantic) gesture or gift, but that you understand how to do so in a way that your partner would appreciate. the gist of what i'm saying is that i don't have any ground to stand on to say how good the gesture would be.

i will say that i don't think it's too much to learn to play a song for an anniversary--if anything, an anniversary is the time when life itself is romanticized and gestures like that can be even more endearing and memorable. in the end though, it's all between you and her so make of it what you really want it to be. ;)

Jesus the Friend 01-03-2012 12:07 AM

I would never do that for reasons that would make this post x37 as long.

If that is what you are into, go for it though.

DeutschMaster 01-03-2012 12:11 AM

Honestly, I think it's fine but it requires a fair bit of confidence like many things. If you start to sing and play the guitar, and aren't confident then you will stumble and look awkward. I don't know though.

Armaldeus 01-03-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricklessabandon (Hozzászólás 19267059)
well, speaking from personal experience, how well received a gesture is will vary from person to person. anniversaries are an opportunity to show not only your thoughtfulness through (romantic) gesture or gift, but that you understand how to do so in a way that your partner would appreciate. the gist of what i'm saying is that i don't have any ground to stand on to say how good the gesture would be.

i will say that i don't think it's too much to learn to play a song for an anniversary--if anything, an anniversary is the time when life itself is romanticized and gestures like that can be even more endearing and memorable. in the end though, it's all between you and her so make of it what you really want it to be. ;)

Thanks for your input, and I totally agree on the anniversary being time to make things more endearing and memorable.

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna go through with it, even got a buddy of ours to play the drums for it, since he loves the band as well!

Also, Jesus, I can understand why some people won't, and to be frank, two years ago, I wouldn't have even bothered to try to learn a song for anyone other than myself, but I just.... I think she deserves something special, since her past boyfriends have all been pricks(I've known one personally, and can fully back that up >.>).

EDIT: @Deutsch, I know that, and its kinda why I've been playing guitar in my free time, kinda... away from her(gonna be a surprise for her, since she already plays), and we kinda sing together anyways, so I'm comfortable enough with that part. The confidence thing is also why I'm planning it so far ahead.

Vorkon 01-03-2012 12:13 AM

****ing off is a kind gesture to me

Sailor Cosmos 01-03-2012 12:45 AM

I think that would be sweet. Personally, I wouldn't care if you messed up. I'd find it cute. At least you tried.

Armaldeus 01-03-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDSandM (Hozzászólás 19267800)
I think that would be sweet. Personally, I wouldn't care if you messed up. I'd find it cute. At least you tried.

Thanks, and yeah, I'm kinda going for cutesy factor, but being a sort of... perfectionist when I put my mind to things, I'd want it to be as close to perfect as possible.

taragus 01-03-2012 12:58 AM

Do Goodnight, trust me on this.

Edit: Or Star Cecil, that song makes me tear up whenever I hear it.

Madman Reborn 01-03-2012 01:11 AM

If that's what you want to do, go for it. If she doesn't appreciate it she's not right for you.