League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Choosing the right items and team-fighting (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1661886)

Bridget FF 12-31-2011 04:59 AM

Choosing the right items and team-fighting

My attack and abilities always seem to do no damage to the enemies or even a single enemy. Yet, the enemy can turn around and wipe my health bar out in under a second. This is especially true in team fights. While everyone else on the enemy team seems capable of shrugging off focused fire from multiple enemies, the second I get focused spells inevitable death.

So, this is obviously a problem with how I am building my character. I just don't know how to do it. I have the basics down. If they are a magic class that are based around their abilities, I should be getting magic resistance. If they are a melee class that rely on their auto-attack, I should get armor. But, here comes a problem. How do I know who is which?

Naturally, I say those who use projectiles as their auto-attack are dealing magic damage. Those who have to get up close deal melee damage. Yet, those melee classes have abilities. Do the abilities count as magic damage? Does it depends on how the ability works? For example, Blitzcrank's Power Fist is a punching attack, but it is activated as an ability that requires mana. It also has a special effect tied to it. Does this count as melee? Does it count as magic? Does it count as both?

Once I have it figured out whether I need to put more focus into magic resistance over armor or vice versa, it becomes a problem of choosing the right item. Go into any sub-category of item and you will get a dozen items. Some of them are cheap, some priced well, and some very expensive. Nonetheless, within each price range, there are quite a few different types of items to choose from. How, for example, do I know whether to get Sanguine Blade, Stark's Fervor, or The Bloodthirster?

Next up, what do I do in a team fight? I know not to focus the tanks, because it will lead to them soaking a lot of damage and me taking massive damage from more fragile though more powerful ability-based characters. I see some players charge right in and start destroying people on their own, while if I step an inch toward a team fight, I am running for my life with a bar of health left. No matter which hero archetype I play, I can't stay alive in team fights like others can.

TL;DR, the questions are as follows:
  • How do I know whether to build armor or magic resist?
  • How do I know whether a unit is melee or magic based, with their abilities?
  • Can seemingly melee-based abilities like Blitzcrank's Power Fist be magic-based entirely or also?
  • How do I decide on which specific item to buy in a category? How, for example, do I know whether to get Sanguine Blade, Stark's Fervor, or The Bloodthirster?
  • What do I do in a team fight to avoid taking a lot of damage and being able to influence it?

The heroes I have played the most are Alistar, Nunu, Rammus, Poppy, and Fiddlesticks.

Human 326 12-31-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridget FF (Hozzászólás 19163128)
TL;DR, the questions are as follows:
  • (1) How do I know whether to build armor or magic resist?
  • (2) How do I know whether a unit is melee or magic based, with their abilities?
  • (3) Can seemingly melee-based abilities like Blitzcrank's Power Fist be magic-based entirely or also?
  • (4) How do I decide on which specific item to buy in a category? How, for example, do I know whether to get Sanguine Blade, Stark's Fervor, or The Bloodthirster?
  • (5) What do I do in a team fight to avoid taking a lot of damage and being able to influence it?

The heroes I have played the most are Alistar, Nunu, Rammus, Poppy, and Fiddlesticks.

1: I usually just look at what items a champ has purchased by lvl 6 and build MR or AR according to whether they've bought more AD or AP items.

2: There's several ways to tell: you can read up on a champ on this site's database (in the ability's description the nature of its' damage will be defined,) you can also play the champs to get a first hand idea of just how the abilities work (and scale,) or you can ask the other player in game. Additionally, you can check your death recap to get an idea of how much of the damage you take is AP/AD - this will also give you an idea of which champs are hurting you the most.

3: Yes, in regards to the specific example of blitzcrank, I believe his power fist deals magic damage. Also, some abilities (ezreal's Q) scale off AP and AD but only deal one type of damage (in this case AD).

4: On item selection, specifically defensive items, buying one second tier (chain vest/negatron cloak) earlier in the game will yield good results. For example, if you notice most of the enemy team is AD, buying a chain vest after boots and your crux item will help you stay alive longer allowing you to make better use of your champion and their items. As Lifesteal goes, if there's a lot of AD champions on your team and no one else is buying starks, buying starks will benefit your team immensely provided you stay close to ya frens. If your team would not make use of lifesteal much, then you're better off with sanguine/BT. Also, sometimes it's better to buy a lower tier (cheaper) item with lifesteal (wriggle's/emblem of valor) as some champions have enough offensive capability to not "need" more from an item than life steal.

5: In team fights, building adequate defenses will help your stay alive longer, but this alone won't keep you alive. Positioning and introduction in team fights are key. If you're not the tank, try and keep the tank between you and the enemy. If the majority of your team stops chasing an enemy, follow suit. Also, rushing head long into a fight is a good way to attract almost everyone's attention very quickly. Many times, a teams initiator will start a fight and then run back towards their base. Occasionally, enemy teams will chase the initiator often leaving them far from their team mates and out of position. Opportunities like these are the best way to make your presence known in team fights. Try hiding in bushes (a nearby bush) when the tank initiates, and don't pop out until an enemy squishy gets within range or the enemy team blows all of their initial abilities on the tank. Within any given team a sort of rhythm develops, at one point in this rhythm, the majority of the enemy's abilities will be on CD, these are the times to be aggresive. Just remember that as this portion of time draws to a close, staying near the enemies becomes more dangerous.

Hope this helps some.

Carados 12-31-2011 01:59 PM

Power fist does physical damage, just like the tooltip says.

skittlebeezy 01-20-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Human 326 (Hozzászólás 19166635)
1: I usually just look at what items a champ has purchased by lvl 6 and build MR or AR according to whether they've bought more AD or AP items.

2: There's several ways to tell: you can read up on a champ on this site's database (in the ability's description the nature of its' damage will be defined,) you can also play the champs to get a first hand idea of just how the abilities work (and scale,) or you can ask the other player in game. Additionally, you can check your death recap to get an idea of how much of the damage you take is AP/AD - this will also give you an idea of which champs are hurting you the most.

3: Yes, in regards to the specific example of blitzcrank, I believe his power fist deals magic damage. Also, some abilities (ezreal's Q) scale off AP and AD but only deal one type of damage (in this case AD).

4: On item selection, specifically defensive items, buying one second tier (chain vest/negatron cloak) earlier in the game will yield good results. For example, if you notice most of the enemy team is AD, buying a chain vest after boots and your crux item will help you stay alive longer allowing you to make better use of your champion and their items. As Lifesteal goes, if there's a lot of AD champions on your team and no one else is buying starks, buying starks will benefit your team immensely provided you stay close to ya frens. If your team would not make use of lifesteal much, then you're better off with sanguine/BT. Also, sometimes it's better to buy a lower tier (cheaper) item with lifesteal (wriggle's/emblem of valor) as some champions have enough offensive capability to not "need" more from an item than life steal.

5: In team fights, building adequate defenses will help your stay alive longer, but this alone won't keep you alive. Positioning and introduction in team fights are key. If you're not the tank, try and keep the tank between you and the enemy. If the majority of your team stops chasing an enemy, follow suit. Also, rushing head long into a fight is a good way to attract almost everyone's attention very quickly. Many times, a teams initiator will start a fight and then run back towards their base. Occasionally, enemy teams will chase the initiator often leaving them far from their team mates and out of position. Opportunities like these are the best way to make your presence known in team fights. Try hiding in bushes (a nearby bush) when the tank initiates, and don't pop out until an enemy squishy gets within range or the enemy team blows all of their initial abilities on the tank. Within any given team a sort of rhythm develops, at one point in this rhythm, the majority of the enemy's abilities will be on CD, these are the times to be aggresive. Just remember that as this portion of time draws to a close, staying near the enemies becomes more dangerous.

Hope this helps some.

Extremely helpful. Took me long enough to find this thread though. Thanks a lot for taking the time and effort to explain all of that. Greatly appreciated!!! :)