League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Summoner's Rift (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   How to fix "Elo Hell" (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1555262)

Killer Squid 12-03-2011 01:18 AM

How to fix "Elo Hell"

So we all know the problem with Elo hell. The problem is that terrible players get grouped up with decent players and ruin the experience. Now, the problem isn't that matchmaking sucks, but because the rating system is flawed. Now here's why:

When you start out, you get an inflated Elo boost. THIS! IS! BAD! Not only does this put you into a place where you don't belong, it also makes it so you get on a winning streak and then get placed with people who are insanely good compared to you. What SHOULD be done is a standard placement like what new players have, except THAT IS ALL THEY GET. You play a game at various ratings levels, and then you are.

Another way to fix it, is that ALL NEW PLAYERS TO RANKED should be forced at a default Elo rating, similar to how HoN does it. Now, it should not be 1500 because that is too high. I suggest 1100-1200 range to start with, again with no rating inflation for new ranked players, as that is not how the ratings system is supposed to work. You shouldn't be rewarded because you're new, you should be rewarded because you did well.

Number three: Please, please, PLEASE allow a vote kick option in the lobby. If you have a player who is constantly being a nuisance ("I'm feeding if I don't get Master Yi"), you should NOT be required to play with them. At all. All this does is breed negative behavior among people already playing. I've actually gotten so sick of these people I have left games because of it, not as a ragequit, but because I have better things to do than be insulted by players in a game.

Number four, I shall give you a link to Elementz's idea, he explains it better than me: http://rog.clgaming.net/blogs/board41-reign-of-elementz/4371-league-of-leagues/.

Remember, this is NOT a matchmaking problem, this is an inherent flaw with the system regarding new players getting inflated ranking, and then ruining it when they still have no idea what they are doing compared to the other players they are with.

Sauceeey 12-03-2011 03:08 AM

Or, just carry harder, win more, and que with better players...

That would work.

Trojan Duck 12-03-2011 03:26 AM

Things could go horribly wrong with a vote kick option, trolls will be trolls.

Metaphisto 12-03-2011 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Squid (Hozzászólás 17983505)
Remember, this is NOT a matchmaking problem, this is an inherent flaw with the system regarding new players getting inflated ranking, and then ruining it when they still have no idea what they are doing compared to the other players they are with.

Getting stuck with trolls more often than not IS a matchmaking problem. Trolling has nothing to do with how good you are at the game. If the trolling issue was fixed I think the belief of ELO Hell would be lessened.

Amoxxx 12-03-2011 04:47 AM

I like this topic. I have 100+ games and been in 1100-1200 for all of them. It's so dumb. I can get close to 1200 but then I get games like 1st-vayne that disconnects so gg, 2nd-xerath that that trolls and feds on purpose ands keeps saying "umad?" so gg, and then 3rd-everyone is new to ranked so they all pick melee champs so gg. Now I'm back to 1147 gg

I plan to make a youtube compilation so people can see this ****. Its literary is impossible to get out of low elo no matter how good you are. Its almost easy to make a NEW account and lvl to 30 over a month and get ranked starting at 1500! and thats so dumb, you can be a baddie but get lucky your first few ranked games and start at 1500?? I don't even wanna play now lol

Mizziness 12-03-2011 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iKaaan D (Hozzászólás 17984838)
Or, just carry harder, win more, and que with better players...

That would work.

Except the fact that you can't carry when the dead weight is vastly greater than your decent players, you can't carry trolls when they purposely feed, and leavers make winning impossible.

SerratedBlaze 12-03-2011 07:59 AM

The thing that irks me about the matchmaking system and got me stuck in elo hell was that I tended to get 12 points for winning (sometimes as few as 6) and lost 14 points for losing (up to 24) so even if I do well a few times, any losses will smash me back below where i started.

I suggest making wins give more elo than losing takes, just as a rule of thumb. people will stop winning when they get past their true rank and can get back up to it without worrying about one loss streak ruining it forever.

Metaphisto 12-03-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amoxxx (Hozzászólás 17986005)
I plan to make a youtube compilation so people can see this ****.

I would have done this already just for lolz if I wasn't a video recording/editing noob.

YorickHunt lol 12-03-2011 05:24 PM

elo should go off your kills 2 deaths ratio and get put with players about your level im 150 kills 97 deaths atm but won 10 lost 13 and it sux cos some games have leavers and qq ect ect. sick of it always being bout the kills and teamfights. im always the sneaky one pushing top while all mid get 4+ towers every game then team rages cos they lose a 4v5 teamfight.... dont initate def at tower simple.

Phil La Pew 12-03-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trojan Duck (Hozzászólás 17985046)
Things could go horribly wrong with a vote kick option, trolls will be trolls.

Id rather the trolls kick people out and know they are a troll to leave.