League of Legends Community
1234511 ... 19

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Dominion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Dominion Major changes in the works: info inside! (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1416155)

Morello 10-27-2011 08:54 PM

Dominion Major changes in the works: info inside!

Hey folks,

With Dominion having been out for awhile, and people now getting pretty used to it, we've had a chance to see how it's played out with thousands and thousands of players. We're happy with a lot of aspects with Dominion, but we think we can do some pretty major work to make significant improvements as well.

Our diagnosis currently is that there are three major hinderences that make Dominion less fun or interesting than it could be. First off;

* Players don't get enough "moments of glory", and don't easily see how their success can effect the game.

Progression and personal success are hallmarks of MOBA in general. In our effort to make a balanced experience strategically, we really lowered the ability for that one in twenty matches players get to experience "running away with the game" and feel like they achieved epic status. We feel this is creating some disconnect between the high highs classic can provide, and the more constant but metered pace of Dominion. We will be focusing systems that allow more (gold, specifically) power differential between players.

Next up;

* Comeback mechanics remove interesting team-level decision-making.

Our internal testing created some situations we felt this was mandatory. In practice, we think either an extremely toned-down version of this system or a removal of these systems needs to take place. This means games will be more representative of a team's skill, but you'll also experience more blow-out games. Our assertion is, generally, you can't achieve a decisive victory if you can't have extreme losses either, and that's needed to make a more memorable and deep experience.

Finally;

* A few champions are way too good on Dominion

This is actually the most surface-level thing, and is fixed when we adjust with the other aforementioned systems. To summarize, this is caused by the certainty of progression, where hyper-scaling champions can reach a late game, farmed state with certainty. Addressing that will address most of the specific egregious champion issues.

Dominion is something we think is really fun, and are proud to have put out, and that's all the more reason for us to ensure it receives continued support and major changes where needed. We feel OK being very disruptive to Dominion in the pre-season phase, and will likely be more conservative when Ranked is turned on. This is our (developers and players!) best opportunity to improve Dominion on some fundamental levels, and we're not going to miss it.

- Morello

Veztai 10-27-2011 09:01 PM

Ahhh, can't wait to see what you designers have in store for us, ^.^

Hope it's not too disruptive so as to change the whole feel of Dominion, though, lol

Lupus Callidus 10-27-2011 09:01 PM

Awesome, keep up the good work Riot.

Glacios 10-27-2011 09:01 PM

First and foremost, thank you for addressing the concerns of the players.

While I never found the hyperscaling to be too much of an issue, it is one that I experienced and understand the frustrations behind. Personally, the comeback mechanics almost ruin Dominion for me and my friends.

It seems that the vast majority of the time that we are leading by 200+ points it ends up being an extremely close game and often we seem to lose. Vice versa when we are losing by over 200+, we seem to win quite a large number of these when we probably shouldn't. Fix these issues, and I am golden.

Fox P McCloud 10-27-2011 09:03 PM

Is this the "big project" that is "Consuming most of the team's time" you talked about, Morello?

Either way, very excited to hear about these changes. While I never had a huge/major problem with issue #1, issue #2 and #3 were incredibly frustrating, at times. Glad to hear you're working on this.

Meister 10-27-2011 09:03 PM

One of the biggest problems with Dominion, in my opinion, is not addressed: lack of objectives. In SR you have multiple important objectives in the jungle (buffs, small camps, dragon, baron), and farming is a viable alternative objective because it is much more effective than in Dominion.

Dominion removed those alternative objectives without adding enough to compensate. All you have is points, and realistically all you have is top, because the other two are so close to the enemy base and the respawn time is so short that going after them is a bad idea. This means that players have less possible decisions to make, and it leads to stale "Take Three and Defend" gameplay at high level.

YoshioPeePee 10-27-2011 09:03 PM

I have personally felt that the comeback mechanics were a bit too powerful, glad to see a scaling back of them cause it was needed big time

the gold adjustment should work to make comebacks seem less inevitable as well

DarkShaella 10-27-2011 09:06 PM

I fap to these changes

Konpaku Youmu 10-27-2011 09:08 PM

Yay dominion!

Nekrogen 10-27-2011 09:08 PM

Interesting, can't wait to see how things play out.