League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Olaf, the Lifestealing, Undying Techno Viking (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=137013)

seed13520 06-15-2010 04:40 AM

[Guide] Olaf, the Lifestealing, Undying Techno Viking

Olaf is a kick-ass hero. Nuff said. But, like a couple of the champions, he's more of a mid->late game character. Now it's true that stacking health can work with this guy, as Vicious Strikes scales off it, but another part to vicious strikes is the lifesteal. at level 5 you get 21%. That said, gettin a bit of health is still usefull to stay alive.

Now, as stated so truely by Phreak in his champ spotlight of Olaf:
Quote:

If you can find a balance between taking damage at 20% health and Life Stealing to remain at that point, you’ll find yourself ripping up your opponents. Balancing your passive for durability and damage output won’t be easy, but if you tread the fine line between insanity and foolishness, you’ll be rewarded.
A hugely important point for Olaf is that when your on low health, your at your best. His passive often gives you that boost to life steal that tiny bit more to give you the time to knock your foe out. Once you get to your prime time, you can take a lot more risks. You've still got to use reason though, for example "Oh look their entire teams in the mid lane, ima solo kill them : D" is not what you want to do. If your clever though, you can solo two foes beating you down.

------------------------------------------------------

Quick rundown of Olaf's abilities

Quote:

Olaf's Passive - Beserker Rage
For each 1% of health missing, Olaf's attack speed is increased by 1%

Q - Undertow
Olaf throws an axe into the ground at a target location, dealing damage to units it passes through and slowing their movement speed for 2.5 seconds. If Olaf picks up the axe, the ability's cooldown is reduced by 6 seconds.
Damage: 65/110/165/200/245 + 30% of Attack Damage
Slow: 16/22/28/34/40%

W - Vicious Strikes
Olaf's attack damage is increased, based on his health, and he gains massive lifesteal and spell vamp.
Damage: 12/18/24/30/36 (+ 0.4/0.7/1/1.3/1.6% of Max HP)
Lifesteal: 9/12/15/18/21% Spellvamp: 9/12/15/18/21%

E - Reckless Swing
Olaf attacks with such force that it deals true damage to his target and himself.
Damage: 100/160/220/280/340
Self-Damage: 40/64/88/112/136

R - Ragnarok
Olaf gains bonus armor penetration, is immune to disables and reduces incoming damage by a flat amount for some time.
Lasts: 5/6.5/8 seconds
(Passive) Armor Penetration: 15/25/35
(Active) Flat Damage Absorption: 25/45/65 flat damage absorption.

Quick run down of the abilities.

Passive - Awesome, on par with Tryndamere's. Per pecent lost is a gain in Attack Speed. As a fight goes on, you attack faster, stealing health faster.

Undertow - A fantrastic chasing ability. Chuck the axe, chase after them, grab the axe (which should practically refresh the cooldown) and chuck it again. Also good for harassing people early on.

Vicious Strikes - Your beastly lifesteal ability. Gives you that extra bit when your gettin low in a duel to the death. Extra lifesteal, extra damage, all for 6 glorious seconds. It's also important to note that while this is active, you do have spell vamp aswell (equal percentage to the life steal). This means that if you use Reckless Swing or Undertow, you will steal some life from the foe.

Reckless Swing - One smack of pure damage to your foe. No armor or anything included. Quite a punch when smackin down some of the more tanky heroes you'll be facing.

Ragnarok - Extra Armor Pen, and on active flat reduction of damage. Perfect for when your taking damage form a hero/s. Unless you believe you can take the guy (solo person) out without the ulti, using it is a great help. When you run in to a group of heroes with your crew right behind you, this is going to help a lot to migitate the damage. Even one on one, this is vital to give you that extra edge on surviving the damage.

---------------------------------------------

Skill Order
Quote:

Lvl 1: Undertow (or Vicious Strikes)
Lvl 2: Vicious Strikes (or Undertow)
Lvl 3: Reckless Swing
Lvl 4: Vicious Strikes
Lvl 5: Vicious Strikes
Lvl 6: Ragnarok
Lvl 7: Vicious Strikes
Lvl 8: Reckless Swing
Lvl 9: Vicious Strikes
Lvl 10: Reckless Swing
Lvl 11: Ragnarok
Lvl 12: Reckless Swing
Lvl 13: Reckless Swing
Lvl 14: Undertow
Lvl 15: Undertow
Lvl 16: Ragnarok
Lvl 17: Undertow
Lvl 18: Undertow
Depending on how you play, choosing Undertow or Vicious Swing as your first ability is your choice. Whether you want to slow the other team, or try and gain the extra survivability through Vicious Strikes depends on how you play.

Items/Glyphs/Masteries

Vampiric Scepter > B.F. Sword > Blood Thirster
Phage > Frozen Mallet
Mercury Treads/Beserker's Greaves
Stark's Fervor

The other two items are open your your choice.

For Glyphs, keep in mind that Olaf's a melee dps. The general Armor Penetration marks are a great start. For seals and glyphs, its more for your choice. I like to go hp/lvl for seals and cooldown reduction/lvl for glyphs cause I think that the extra health and cooldown's are better than getting some of the other glyphs available. It's down to your opinion on that.

Masteries. Get the 21 into the offence tree. Your damage, makes sense. For the other 9, your choice. You can head into utility and grab the extra experiance, or get some more tanky attributes to take the pressure some more. I reccomend the tankyness cause it all adds to your survivability, and that's what Olaf does best.

Quick word on Summoner Spells. It's all on how you play. I like to use Exhaust and Cleanse on Olaf, because i've had a lot of situations where they've been a great help. Expecially Cleanse, to give you some extra help when your ultimate is down, and even if its not if you've got a long stun of debuff on you that's causing you to take a lot of damage, you'll want it gone.
*EDIT* Even though Cleanse has been changes (not removing any damaging debuffs) it's still invaluable as it reduces any effects that stop you from getting near your target. To be able to survive, you want to be right next to the other guy.

Strategy

Start off the game with getting your hands on a Vampiric Scepter. Then, farm. The early part of the game, get in the fight. Whack creeps, and get really good at grabbing the killing blows. If you can keep the opponent wary of you, whether by continiously harassing them or managing to get a few kills early on, they'll hopefully stay outta the melee and play it a lot more safe so you don't have to. Otherwise, play safe, only go for the kill if you know you've got it. Otherwise, stay behind your creeps. The idea is to save up for a B.F. Sword, and dive into a Bloodthirster as soon as you can. Damage, Lifesteal, what's not to love? Generally by the time your level 7-9 you'll have enough to grab this beauty.

After that, you can afford to be a lot more aggressive if you haven't been already. You've got lifesteal, damage to boot and along with Vicious strikes you can take out most heroes one on one now. Some heroes to still look out for are Jax, Nasus with his Ultimate at the ready, etc. Warwicks can be dangerous, but if your smart and manage to survive for long enough on lowish health, you should out last one easily enough. After that work your way towards Phage. Instead of heading straight into the Frozen Mallet, I like to get Merc. Treads first, but thats up to you. Keep doing your thing and grab Stark's Fervor on top of the other three items you've got in your arsenal and you should be able to easily take out heroes one on one, and have become pretty beastly.

Now you've got enough juice to keep you pumping and whacking your foe to pieces. Your last two items are up to you, and are more situational. I like to grab Youmuu's Ghostblade, and if things are going well killing wise, Leviathan for the extra survivability. Other good suggestions would be Last Whisper if there are some increasingly tough tanks or another Bloodthirster to smack your foes all the harder. Generally towards endgame everything is a bit more team-fight oriented. You should be running in with the tank, if not ahead. Ragnarok is fantastic, and if you get some solid hits on enemy champs up close you'll usually survive the encounter.

One Big Thing To Watch Out for are heroes who can keep you at range, and destroy you. In order to lifesteal, you need to be in close enough to smack them. I've had some bad experiances with Ryze and Tristana where they've knocked me outta range and killed me after I've only got a few hits on them. Unless you can run in fast enough and kill them before they get a chance to knock ou outta your range, be wary. Another harsh thing to defend against is burst. Ryze has some pretty incredible burst when he pops his ultimate so if you're hanging around on 300-700 health you had better be careful. other hero's have abilities that deal large amounts of damage so take care when going after them when your low on hp.

** Quick note here. If you can't get near an enemy that's beating no you, if your in a lane next to a bunch of your and their minions fighting take a couple of swing at them. You lifesteal off them just as well as you'd lifesteal off the champion attacking you. With a bit of luck, you may be able to heal up regardless of the damage their dealing to you. Then, you can run after them on topped up health even after they've done their bit.

Your a lean, mean, raging Techno Viking machine. Live right on the edge. If your chilling at a cool 20% ish pecent health in a fight then your doing fine. It's all about gettin that balance between your lifesteal and attack speed... and surviving what the other guy/s throws at you at the same time. Don't get insane. That's a whole other level of nuts that you don't want to venture to. Know when you can make a substantial dent, and when it is going to be pure suicide. Other than that, enjoy Olaf and I hope this was helpful. Any comments and opinions are read and taken into account. Cheers.

Edited on 29/07/10 - Quick notes regarding extra tips and the cleanse changes.

Temlam 06-15-2010 05:04 AM

I dont like your description of ragnarok, generally speaking if your speed is enough to do it (I find really only ghost is necessecary unless they have a yi...because youmus with ghost and ulti is godly more than you) your ulti is more of a "I can now proceed to run through your entire team back to my base" card.

I have run from 1 side of the map to the other and to my friendly little turrets taking no more than 10% of my health in damage with ulti on while their entire team chases me (hell I ran through their whole team on purpose) simply because without CC you are going to get away. I've had triple exhausts thrown onto me during a time like that. Hell, in this way I'd consider olaf a HUGE initiator. He can take just about an entire teams CC before they realize you're doing it on purpose and then the enemy team gets rolled because your team still has their exhausts and stuns and such.

seed13520 06-15-2010 05:40 AM

Very good point, and I like your great way of grabbin the other teams attention. Sounds like fun, and a very workable way of making them waste their CC's. It's true that I have really understated the value of Ragnarok, especially it really helps you survive the beating of quite a few guys beating on you when you run in. Ill make a change to the info on that. Thanks a bunch for your opinion.

Chaoticon 06-15-2010 06:15 AM

Except when you get higher in ELO, they will know not to waste CC on you. In-fact they will damage you last so you aren't ripping them apart. Good luck with your pubstomps though.

daneh 07-04-2010 01:22 PM

nice guide thumbs up

Temlam 07-04-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoticon (Hozzászólás 1591957)
Except when you get higher in ELO, they will know not to waste CC on you. In-fact they will damage you last so you aren't ripping them apart. Good luck with your pubstomps though.

really old post because someone dragged it up but i never saw this so:

yeah, you don't focus or cc olaf for the same reason you don't focus tryn.
however, not killing olaf screws you as much as killing him.
I only mentioned it because it was fun to do, not as practical aplication.

Also, if your initial statement criticizes elo, you sir are ****.

Anima Libera 07-04-2010 02:56 PM

He has the best dps ult in the game.

iCeDsTaR 09-14-2010 12:28 AM

thumbs up if olaf looks just like the technoviking, even the stance in the champ info screen is the same as the techoviking, i bet that they did it on purpose =)

hz0ijXGF8qeI0CRT 09-14-2010 08:07 AM

U forgot a picture:
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/104/technoviking.gif

MarkXKiller 11-09-2010 05:00 AM

best olaf guide out there.. hate the stupid guides with defence and utility masteries.. make him darn weak.

still figuring out what's the next best 2 items to buy...