League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Twisted Treeline (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Maokai builds for Treeline (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1327451)

GG Crono 10-06-2011 06:12 AM

Maokai builds for Treeline

I love Maokai on any map. However, while I have a fairly cohesive build plan for Rift, in Treeline I usually have trouble making decisions.

So, in terms of both skill order and item build, and of course barring something that merits immediate counterplay, how do you Maokai players tend to build him for this map?

Gloribhem 10-06-2011 06:14 AM

AP/Tanky and depends on my lane/their lane what spells I get. If i know my buddy will follow, i'll go w and q to help with cc, but if we're getting outlaned, just level his saplings.

rosslyn568 10-06-2011 06:29 AM

i like starting with a tear for his high mana needs so you can spam skills, then i like the rage blade
since I toss sapling, snare, then knockback I have it to 3 stacks before my first attack. I find it takes advantage of his already high base attack damage

lmEvolRawr 10-06-2011 08:46 AM

i dont play maokai personally but in high 1500+ elo ive seen them ap/tanky depending on team

CaliOGkush 10-06-2011 10:17 AM

boots, manamune, catalyst into banshees or RoA depending the situation, glacial shroud

Ghonosyph 10-06-2011 01:17 PM

Melee maokai has to be one of the funner pubstompers i've played. I start with rushing tear, then boots and sheen. Finish off manamune, build a rageblade next, from here you've got the choice: are you getting killed too often, buy a rylais/rod of ages/sunfire cape. Are you doing well lots of kills much farm? Sheen builds into lichbane then build hextech gunblade. Finish off with high HP item of your choice and frozen heart. Cdr is the most important factor to doing well with this build imo so focusing on cdr and magic resist is paramount for runes. move speed masteries and quints is pretty important too ;)

TheHangman 10-06-2011 02:03 PM

My team ran maokai for probably 60% of our games, rings deathcap, straightup ap. tanky later, what matters most in TT is levels.

Rupture 10-06-2011 02:34 PM

I've been playing mao in 3's. Start with dorans ring. use flat AP quints, flat armor flat MR and magic pen.

Go E W E Q E R E W W W W Q Q Q Q. His sapplings deal a TON of damage on TT, in team fights.

After dorans, boots and early sheen. Then start your build for a glacial. The mana, armor and CDR are clutch. Frozen Heart/triforce is all you will need to dominate. If you are getting fed go for an early Rylias over the triforce.

Ghonosyph 10-06-2011 06:03 PM

i find leveling up skills evenly across the board usually the way to go when i play him, maxing Q usually one or two above W and e every 4th level. Sappers while good, usually aren't the beef of the dmg you do, root, attack attack exhaust attack attack, sapling, Q punch attack root usually means a dead opponennt :) throw in your ult in their path to make them go the other way toward your teammates works rather well too :D right into the sion waiting for you in the bushes!
muahhahahha

Oberic 10-06-2011 07:39 PM

Lots of cheap HP items works well for Maokai in TT.

Phage, Haunting Guise, Spirit Visage. as a few examples.