League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Dr Mundo - The Madman of Zuan (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=13251)

Daesik 09-21-2009 12:26 PM

[Guide] Dr Mundo - The Madman of Zuan

Hey all, this is my first guide for LoL (and the first guide for Mundo it seems) so bear with me if it isn't a clear as it could be. With that out of the way, lets get down to business.

Intro to Dr Mundo

Dr Mundo has a stigma of being a very weak character, augmented by the fact that he never sees play (I’ve never come up across another Dr Mundo). But since his recent buff he has become a hero killing monster that just won't die. This guide will give Mundo a lot of survivability while making him a very effective DPS. Don't believe it to be possible? Read on.

Abilities

Q: Infected Cleaver (Cost: 20 Health Cooldown: 5 seconds) : Dr Mundo hurls his cleaver, dealing damage equal to 15/18/21/23/25% of the target's current health (80/130/180/230/180 damage minimum) and slowing them by 40% for 2 seconds.

Comment: A great skill. Its low cost and cooldown means you can harass with it early game to great effect. It's a skillshot, and the hitbox of the cleaver slightly extends the aiming reticule as of present.

W: Burning Agony (Cost: 20/30/40/50/60 Health a Second Cooldown: 4 seconds) : While active Dr Mundo deals 40/55/70/85/100 damage to nearby enemies and reduces the duration of crowd control effects on Dr Mundo by 20/25/30/35/40%

Comment: It's a nice spell for farming and added DPS, but his other two skills are better so this gets maxed out last.

E: Masochism (Cost: 20/35/50/65/80 Health Cooldown: 5 seconds): Increases physical damage by 50/65/80/95/110 for 5 seconds. Dr Mundo gains an additional +0.4/0.55/0.7/0.85/1 damage for each percentage of Health he is missing.

Comment: An insane boost of DPS. This spell is great for when that Ryze chases you down in the forest, you turn around and crit him in the face for 500.

R: Sadism (Cost: 20% of Current Health Cooldown: 90/75/60 seconds): Dr Mundo is healed for 50% of his Max Health over 12 seconds. Additionally, he gains 15/25% movement speed.

Comment: A great ultimate. The fact that the hp bonus is gradual can help fool enemies into thinking you are inches from death when you're actually regenerating 250+ hp a second.

Skill Build
  1. Infected Cleaver
  2. Masochism
  3. Infected Cleaver
  4. Masochism
  5. Infected Cleaver
  6. Sadism
  7. Infected Cleaver
  8. Masochism
  9. Infected Cleaver
  10. Masochism
  11. Sadism
  12. Masochism
  13. Burning Agony
  14. Burning Agony
  15. Burning Agony
  16. Sadism
  17. Burning Agony
  18. Burning Agony
Item Build

1) Regrowth Pendant (starting item)
This will enable you to spam cleaver and stay in your lane for a long time.
2) Warmogs Armor
Increased health and regen, what's not to like
3) Ninja Tabi
You can buy the boots portion of this before you finish Warmogs. Gives you added survivability.
4) Atma's Impaler
You're stacking hp, so this'll increase your damage by quite a bit.
5) Force of Nature
Percentage based health regen suits high HP better, and the magic resist helps you tank spells.

Then you can take anything to fill the last two slots. You can grab another Warmogs, maybe go for a Glacial Shroud, or grab an Infinity Edge and Phantom Dancer and become a DPS. The majority of games end once you have FoN though.

Alternate Build - DPS Focus

I've tried a few games and it works well if you have a strong early game and get Warmogs quickly.

1) Regrowth Pendant
2) Warmogs Armor
3)Beserker Greaves
4) Atma's Impaler
5) Phantom Dancer
With this you can really get some DPS going
6) Infinity Edge
Big crits just got bigger, with 21 points in offense you can have an 80% crit chance.
7) Frozen Mallet
Stops all your opponents from getting away, and gives you some extra health.

Runes and Masteries

I personally stack Armor Penetration in Quints and Marks with HP / Level in Seals and Glyphs. You can place them however you want really, but these two stats are your best bets.

For Masteries I use a 9/21/0, but any combination will work really. In general make sure you aren’t doing anything mana based, because that’s just useless.

Summoner Skills
Heal – It’s decent, with the added mastery you can heal quite a bit, but you may feel that there are better skills to get.

Exhaust – I wouldn’t recommend this, you already have a slow so this is pretty much overkill. It can help you get some early game kills, but it would be better for your lane mate to get.

Ghost – I like this skill, it works great for escaping and chasing and stacks with your ultimate.

Fortify – This is quite a nice skill, but it’s very situational. If you like it get it though.

Teleport – This is a very useful skill that makes going back to base hardly a hassle. I’d recommend this for any character (except TF of course).

Promote – Another nice spell, you push towers well and this serves to increase that ability.

Revive – It’s okay I guess, but you won’t die often if you can get Warmog’s very early.

Flash – Everyone loves flash, and it’s about as good on Mundo as everyone else.

Clairvoyance – I never use this, but if you want it take it.

Smite – Not worth it, you kill creeps fast enough.

Rally – It’s alright I guess, but not great for you.

Cleanse – A useful spell if you become focus fired (which is sure to happen).

Early Game

Early game you should harass your enemy with constant cleavers. I find that a great way to do this is to hide in the brush for your enemy to come into range, then lob a cleaver at them. Range heroes will try and harass you alot, try to get behind the ranged creeps and throw a cleaver before they get into your range and run so they run into the cleaver and you escape without taking any damage.

Do not underestimate the damage you can do with Masochism. It will hit for a lot of damage early game, if you lane with a stunner you can easily DPS them down before they get away. You can also assist in ganks from about level 4, and you can tower dive once you get your ultimate, just don’t get too cocky. Last hitting creeps with cleaver is viable, and popping Masochism so you hit for 150 a swing will definitely help you last hit.

Mid Game

You should try to be in every team battle going on to soak up a lot of damage and chase down low health heroes. Pop Sadism sooner rather than later incase you get nuked down, and don’t be afraid to back off. Ganking is also very viable, your cleavers are invaluable as slows if you can hit them accurately. You can still harass with your cleaver, try to aim for tankier heroes so you get better percentile damage. You can push towers very well (especially if you stacked Armor Penetration) and can tank them for the duration of your ultimate. You can jungle also (level 5 Cleaver hits for approximately 850 on max hp Elder Lizard and Golem), I’d recommend getting the lizard buff and saving Golem for a mana using teammate. Farming in a lane for XP is great, as you really want to fill up Warmog’s as fast as possible.

Late Game

You should be pushing lanes like a madman, soloing whole creep waves should be no problem whatsoever, spam your spells and all the creeps drop. At max level you can easily deal 300+ damage a swing to towers with masochism, so push. Focus on squishy heroes in team fights, you should crit for over 500 with masochism so they shouldn’t last long. Pushing wins games, but don’t go in too deep solo or you will definitely get ganked. This is where teleport is useful, as you can bounce between lanes constantly to keep up the pressure. By now you should have at least 3000 HP, so you can risk chasing heroes right into their base to get kills. If you can keep up pressure on your opponent and your team can do, you’ll be sure to win.

Well, that concludes my guide to Dr Mundo, I hope that this will get more people playing as him, as he is a lot of fun to play.

redit 09-21-2009 11:28 PM

A noteable comment: I like getting his W skill at level 5 or so (just one level) and then getting Mercury's Treads. With that, he gets something near 55% reduction on CC skills (assuming you're using W correctly and they stack - which I believe they do), later you'll have almost 80% which is crazy; The opposing team can never stun you, basically removing the need for Cleanse.
In return, I like going Rally as it's major rapage for Team Fights.

Daesik 09-22-2009 02:33 AM

That sounds like quite a good idea actually if the enemy team is stun heavy, it would really throw off a Veigar late game :)

goji 09-22-2009 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redit (Hozzászólás 139534)
A noteable comment: I like getting his W skill at level 5 or so (just one level) and then getting Mercury's Treads. With that, he gets something near 55% reduction on CC skills (assuming you're using W correctly and they stack - which I believe they do), later you'll have almost 80% which is crazy; The opposing team can never stun you, basically removing the need for Cleanse.
In return, I like going Rally as it's major rapage for Team Fights.

i second that =)

Corvus Corax 09-22-2009 08:24 AM

Nice guide. I agree that Mundo hasnt been around in games much, I played a few games with Mundo before and after the patch.

Masoschism and Sadism synergy well together (weird sentence lol). Add in the cleaver and with some good items you are a killer. Cleaver is really useful while chasing a prey. Pity I find it difficult to aim well, but its cheap and has a small cooldown.

HansonTheory 09-22-2009 07:37 PM

Is it worth getting triforce for mundo?or double atrtackspeed dodge blades?

Ponies Gonna Pwn 09-22-2009 07:47 PM

Triforce would actually be a good choice for a DPS Mundo if you don't mind the cost and 300 wasted MP. Every cleaver giving you a free 250% crit? Awesome.

Phiphler 09-23-2009 10:01 AM

I've tried jungling as Dr Mundo from level 1, it works wonders.

He needs a few pots to pull it off, but he can kill the creeps much faster then much junglers, and he is pretty damn solid at killing opposing junglers as well.

Ran into a Warwick when I went over to the enemy jungle, he didn't stand much of a chance.

Daesik 09-23-2009 10:36 AM

That sounds like a good idea, did you use smite?

I'll check if he can solo dragon with the right build (or at least with 1 friend). I'll post details here.

Phiphler 09-23-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daesik (Hozzászólás 142814)
That sounds like a good idea, did you use smite?

I'll check if he can solo dragon with the right build (or at least with 1 friend). I'll post details here.

Yep, Smite is necessary to kill the Elder Lizard at lvl 1. I run heal as well, you can probably do without it if you are a bad enough dude.