League of Legends Community
12

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So about Malzahar (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=126734)

Def Exe 06-02-2010 12:30 PM

So about Malzahar
 
So after spending 2 days with Mal (funny the community accepted this nickname so readily), here's very short thoughts and impressions. I may or may not have the credentials for your pro-ness, but this is just personal.


Passive)

lolwut. But in seriousness, it's a fair skill that works with E to make Mal a good lane pusher. At least it doesn't attack you. Then again, I'm just mad cause I'm not Phreak's level and can't get kills with it.

Q)
Satisfying skillshot with silence effect. I like the delayed damage design that is consistent with Malzahar's DOT theme. Although it is a burst, per say, because the damage is applied at once, the delay makes the skill interesting. Also the width of the wall is well thought out, since it is exactly the width of the side grass in mid lane, as well as the diameter of a creep cluster. This skill's design provides SCOUTING of all grass on Summoner's Rift. Also, the range of the skill is enough to cast over walls. nice. good design.

4/5

W)
good tank killer. Since this skill scales off HP, it is very specific about its targets. But perhaps the practical alternative use is a tower pusher. Laying this around the tower will deter enemies from attack your tower or defending theirs.

3/5

E)
the farm, harass skill. Personally, this skill, not R, is the characteristic skill of Malzahar. It is VERY well thought out. The mana returned is equal to the cost if 6 creeps are killed. In higher levels, this skill is also a worry-free defensive skill, since you can cast it on a creep wave and leave the lane, still assured the skill will push the lane with the help of your creeps. In addition, the targeting algorithm of the spell is similar to the targeting algorithm of your creep wave, ensuring your creeps are working in conjunction with your spell.
5/5

p.s. the "pop" sound when this skill kills a creep is also delicious.

R)
Now, this is what everyone's been talking about. This skill is a real killer with an AP ratio of 1.5. However, there are some faults. In a fight, alzahar has to approach his target very closely for this to work. The range is slightly longer than IGNITE, which synergizes well with the skill. So early game, R+ignite on low hp targets ensures kills. But, a mistake i've often made is casting R, and using ignite, which is out of range, so I break the R channeling while moving. But the fact that the range of the two skill is only a little off is a bit annoying. Since ignite can't be increased in range (it gets enough finish kills as is), the R could use a range boost. An increased range on R could also provide more gameplay elements, namely, casting over walls uninterrupted. Mal is squishy as is, so the added element of surprise will be fun.

If the range of R is not to be increased, another suggestion would be to increase Mal's base movement speed. Now, I think this is more important than increasing his R. This would address the problem of range discrepancy between R and Ignite if Mal can chase faster to be in range of ignite when he casts R. This would also provide him with an escape mechanism, which he has NONE. Why Jax's one of the fastest on foot doesn't make sense to me, and Mal is levitating.

4/5

Overall

I think Mal has great potential as a caster, and could vie for a spot among the top mages. Since he just came out, I think he's well balanced for being new, but some elements could be readdressed.

Nice job Riot.

4/5



TL;DR

Mal's 4/5 in my book, and a very fun champ to play, He could have a faster base speed.

sctechie 06-02-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Def Exe (Hozzászólás 1464415)
So after spending 2 days with Mal (funny the community accepted this nickname so readily), here's very short thoughts and impressions. I may or may not have the credentials for your pro-ness, but this is just personal.


Passive)

lolwut. But in seriousness, it's a fair skill that works with E to make Mal a good lane pusher. At least it doesn't attack you. Then again, I'm just mad cause I'm not Phreak's level and can't get kills with it.

Q)
Satisfying skillshot with silence effect. I like the delayed damage design that is consistent with Malzahar's DOT theme. Although it is a burst, per say, because the damage is applied at once, the delay makes the skill interesting. Also the width of the wall is well thought out, since it is exactly the width of the side grass in mid lane, as well as the diameter of a creep cluster. This skill's design provides SCOUTING of all grass on Summoner's Rift. Also, the range of the skill is enough to cast over walls. nice. good design.

4/5

W)
good tank killer. Since this skill scales off HP, it is very specific about its targets. But perhaps the practical alternative use is a tower pusher. Laying this around the tower will deter enemies from attack your tower or defending theirs.

3/5

E)
the farm, harass skill. Personally, this skill, not R, is the characteristic skill of Malzahar. It is VERY well thought out. The mana returned is equal to the cost if 6 creeps are killed. In higher levels, this skill is also a worry-free defensive skill, since you can cast it on a creep wave and leave the lane, still assured the skill will push the lane with the help of your creeps. In addition, the targeting algorithm of the spell is similar to the targeting algorithm of your creep wave, ensuring your creeps are working in conjunction with your spell.
5/5

p.s. the "pop" sound when this skill kills a creep is also delicious.

R)
Now, this is what everyone's been talking about. This skill is a real killer with an AP ratio of 1.5. However, there are some faults. In a fight, alzahar has to approach his target very closely for this to work. The range is slightly longer than IGNITE, which synergizes well with the skill. So early game, R+ignite on low hp targets ensures kills. But, a mistake i've often made is casting R, and using ignite, which is out of range, so I break the R channeling while moving. But the fact that the range of the two skill is only a little off is a bit annoying. Since ignite can't be increased in range (it gets enough finish kills as is), the R could use a range boost. An increased range on R could also provide more gameplay elements, namely, casting over walls uninterrupted. Mal is squishy as is, so the added element of surprise will be fun.

If the range of R is not to be increased, another suggestion would be to increase Mal's base movement speed. Now, I think this is more important than increasing his R. This would address the problem of range discrepancy between R and Ignite if Mal can chase faster to be in range of ignite when he casts R. This would also provide him with an escape mechanism, which he has NONE. Why Jax's one of the fastest on foot doesn't make sense to me, and Mal is levitating.

4/5

Overall

I think Mal has great potential as a caster, and could vie for a spot among the top mages. Since he just came out, I think he's well balanced for being new, but some elements could be readdressed.

Nice job Riot.

4/5



TL;DR

Mal's 4/5 in my book, and a very fun champ to play, He could have a faster base speed.

Free kills. Come feed me more pls.

YYZed 06-02-2010 12:35 PM

Get on phreak's level scrub.
Until we have enough time to develop mal "Pros" he's a 2 or a 3

Def Exe 06-02-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyte Crawler (Hozzászólás 1464458)
Get on phreak's level scrub.


it's hard man, it's hard. The day an pentakill is had with Mal's passive is the day Mundo finally gets to where he pleases.

YYZed 06-02-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Def Exe (Hozzászólás 1464481)
it's hard man, it's hard. The day an pentakill is had with Mal's passive is the day Mundo finally gets to where he pleases.

this means it happened somewhere because mundo is going where he pleases.

Cybergoblin 06-02-2010 12:42 PM

Good character overall I think with 2 issues to be fixed:

1) passive sucks bad - improve it

2) aoe silence late game = auto win (not cool after a 45 minute game for 1 ability to equal total win in a team fight) needs a nerf

That is all.

Blaine66 06-02-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyte Crawler (Hozzászólás 1464458)
Get on phreak's level scrub.
Until we have enough time to develop mal "Pros" he's a 2 or a 3

Yous trollin boy.

JonnyThinkChamp 06-02-2010 12:45 PM

2-shotting all the Mal'z while I roll around with Veigar.

Meta3wto Braki 06-02-2010 12:46 PM

You guys who say "LOLOLOLOL Free food", all I have to say is enjoy this while you can because I truly see unlimited potential once al'zahar is mastered by someone.


"LOLOLOLOL Free food" is the exact same thing people were saying when ezy first came out. They were calling him underwhelming and suckish. Ezy has not received any changes since then appart from a healing nerf (yep a nerf). Council members were placing him at trash tier and high elo players laughed. Well well well, now that people figured out how to play ezreal effectively, look at where he stands right now. Top of the ladder tier as the best team character and a necessary hero on your team in competitive play. Being a necessary hero does not mean the hero is OP, because Ezreal is far from OP (his healing was a bit rediculus when it was 100% but its fine now at 70%).

All I have to say is, just wait till some people learn how to play Al'zahar. Looks like he ll be a tough one.

ZiPpYz 06-02-2010 01:03 PM

i was pretty excited when i heard about the passive, but it sucks :(

they could have AT LEAST made it look cooler instead of a POS crab GOD ****IT


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:50 PM.
12


(c) 2008 Riot Games Inc