League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   New Player Forum (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   [Guide] Frustrated? Read! (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=117784)

War on Drugs 05-20-2010 11:19 AM

[Guide] Frustrated? Read!

FIRST THINGS FIRST:

You will most likely die a lot. You will probably die more than you kill. You will experience complete fail teams getting steamrolled often. You will wonder why your champion sucks, and you will probably choose another only to discover that one sucks too. You are probably an intelligent person with a lot of gaming experience and will often wonder why all of this is happening to you.

I will attempt to help you understand why this is happening to you, and outline some broad concepts of the game that I learned through some of the worst failures in my online gaming "career".

CHAMPION SELECTION:

Yes, some have an edge overall. We won't talk about this small handful. You can read the forums and figure it out quickly. They will be nerfed. Do not worry yourself over picking the best champion in the game. Just pick your champion, spend some time with them.... maybe they are right for you, maybe not.

Regardless of which champion you select, let's get one thing straight here. If you want to play a melee dps champion, play and build for that role. If you want to tank, don't build tank items for your melee dps. Later- post 30, this is fine. Experiment once you experience some successful wins with your character. Let's find ALL advantages and use them. Again, hybrid roles are ok, but for your initial time with LoL, it is much more beneficial to understanding advanced gameplay if you are alive in the field being active in your role.

If you're doing terrible with a champion, don't switch. You'll do just as bad. Instead, play another 10 games, read specific guides (but be careful with guides - more later), check out some livefeeds with the character you'd like to play, check youtube.... just don't be a Mary and give up after 3 bad games.

"METAGAME" IMPORTANCE:

Yes, even though there isn't a lot of customization for your summoner, it's still important. How important?

We're talking about an initial 33% increase in dps through increased magic penetration or ability power, maybe 25% more starting health which leads to longer lane phasing, it can make jungling quicker, and they should all work together to make your builds work better.

Example: I have a starting magic penetration of 14 through runes. I have an ability that increases my overall magic pen by 15%. If I buy the sorc boots (20 pen), thats 14+20*1.15. This gives me 40 magic penetration within the first 5 minutes of the game. My spells just flat out do more damage before magic resistance is even applied. It's a very noticable difference. If I didn't have these runes/masteries, the sorc boots wouldn't be close to worth the price, so I would wait to get some other magic penetration item. It's viable to do that of course, but I miss out on a HUGE early bonus damage advantage.

Runes and masteries all add up to make it harder for enemies to zone you out of starting gold/exp, and easier for you to do so to them. Bottom line: figure out how you can boost your strengths through this system.

The beauty of masteries is that you can respec anytime for free. Experiment. Fail. Succeed. Runes are a little different and require advanced planning.

Runes:

Although me and many, many others will tell you to just buy tier 1 runes and wait for level 20 to buy tier 3 runes, we are not the authority on the subject of what you find fun.

YOU ARE!

If you want to buy tier 2 runes at level 10, do what you have to do. Understand this - Even with IP boosts from level 1, you will NOT HAVE ENOUGH IP to buy a full set of T3 runes at level 20. So while you might enjoy a slight boost from 10-20, you're going to have to work hard to get on equal ground with other level 20+ champions. Besides, you wont have a full grasp on how to properly play your character until past level 20. If you are feeling frustrated with the game, and you have not hit level 20 yet with full T3 runes, don't worry..... it helps tremendously, and you will absolutey notice the difference. On the other hand, you'll eventually have the IP to buy them. If you want to buy T2 runes, don't let anyone stop you.

GAMEPLAY ASPECTS:

You'll notice over time that the game is best played differently in 3 specific phases. Early, Mid, and Late. There are a ton of things you'll discover in your time playing that will lead to better gameplay, but for this guide, we're going to discuss the top 2 most important phases.

Early Phase:

So, someone on your team just called you a feeder..... followed by some of the most insulting internet text you've ever read. Why are they in full rage mode? The starting phase is hands-down the most important part of the game. That, and they are *ssho**s.

More on *ssho**s later.

It's frustrating to watch someone die 6 times in 10 minutes because they are trying to kill the enemy. Every single time you die, that enemy gains xp and gold that will snowball to give them an advantage that can, and usually does, last the entire game. You are losing the game in the first 5 minutes.
So.....

Relax. Early phase is a 10-15 minute twitch fest. You have 3 goals, and all 3 should be on your mind at all times.

1. You are trying not to die or leave the lane to heal.

2. You are trying to get last hits on minions. This is for gold generation and mid game viability.

3. You are trying to wear down the health of enemies through skirmish tactics. This is to keep the enemy from making gold or exp by falling back from the zone, or heading back to heal.

In that order! Now, these 3 things take weeks/months to master. There are certain variables that you have to be exposed and adapt to. The enemies you're matched against, your partner not playing properly, early gank attempts, should you focus on damaging one enemy or both..... Just stick with the 3 basics, and with a little patience, you'll master the art of early game skirmish laning.

Notice I didn't mention killing the enemy as a priority. Thats because it's not. It's opportunistic at best, and should only be attempted if you are 95% certain you will kill the enemy and survive. I don't even attempt a kill until level 6+. Dying early game is crippling. However, if you are matched with a stunner who has shown competancy, and he moves in for the kill, you should follow.

DISCLAIMER: Keep in mind before you reply to the above paragraph that this guide is being written with the new/frustrated player in mind. We all know you're the best First Blooder in the game.... we really do.

LATE GAME:

So, someone on your team just pinged you on the map and told you to get with the group followed by some of the most vulgar and sick phrases the english language has ever produced. Why are they in full rage mode? Because the late game is about aggressive cohesion. That, and they are *ssho**s. We're almost to the section on *ssho**s.

Look, if you aren't a tower pusher and/or have not discussed the plan with your MM buddies, just get in the group. Move together, kill together, stay alive to push on the enemy base. It really just comes down to that. Late game champion spawns take over a minute, which is plenty of time to take down a base. If you're off whacking towers by yourself, you're going to get mollywopped, and then your team will be suffering a 20% disadvantage for the certain fight heading their way. Don't be that guy.

LOGIC, GUIDES, AND *SSHO**S

About 5 paragraphs ago, I really started regretting starting this. I'm going to wrap it up since no one in their right mind will sit in a chair and read this much text.

Logic:

Use it. Seriously. This game is unforgiving, and if you approach it lightly, you're going to miss out on the feeling of dominating gameplay that we all turn on our computers for. If you're a level 18 tank and Jax just submitted you in 4 seconds flat, don't rage and scream JAX IS OP. Take a look at your build. You have NO ARMOR. You built for damage and magic resistance. Remember that for the next game when there's a Jax. You know to pick up some hefty armor, or just avoid melee autoattackers.

Guides:

Character guides are a great way to learn about the capabilites of your champion. However, don't get trapped into that one way of building your character. You'll often copy everything in a guide and wonder what the OP was smoking after you try it out. Champion guides are simply a free education of the capabilities of your champion. You'll find the best players understand that there is no one way to build any champ, and if you pay attention to the enemy champ types and your team's composition, you will discover what builds work better, and why they work better. This takes play experience that you cannot get in any guide.

*ssho**s:

We've all witnessed the rage. We've all been victims of it. We've all asked why.

Bottom line here is that it doesn't matter. What does matter is that YOU don't repeat this pattern. One day, you're going to be a god among men. One day, you're going to get used to 20/0/20 ratios. One day you're going to know everything there is to know about LoL.....

And on that day you will have a new player screw up the entire game for you. You will be faced with a choice of being an *ssho** and spew haterage all over this guy, or you can be a decent person and offer some helpful advice that you learned the hard way once too.

When "IHATEFEEDERS" starts insulting relatives you didn't even know you had, here's a couple lines you can use:

- U mad?
- lol u mad?
- awwwww
- It's ok, I still love you.
- Wanna go rollerblading later? I'll bring the Sam Adams.
- /ignore IHATEFEEDERS

Just don't take anything personal, don't let *ssho**s get in your way of learning the game. Laugh it off, go win.

Feel free to critisize, add advice, be an *ssho**, or just read if you find yourself wondering why you aren't doing so well in a seemingly simple game like LoL.

Fake Edit:

TLDR? WALL OF TEXT? I'll sum it all up for you:
My armpits sweat when I play.

speeed 05-20-2010 03:09 PM

kudos man. this is funny and educational haha

and yeah, if you do fail, it's just a chance for you to learn.

Skrigg 05-20-2010 11:54 PM

Good writeup thank you. One question though.

Lately I've had both of the enemies in my lane or a 3rd come and kill me or my partner as I stand under my tower at full health waiting for the first creep wave (or during the first creep clash). They just tank the tower hits like no problem. Ive tried standing as far as I can from the creeps so that I get xp (even behind the tower some) but its like the tower might as well not even be there. How am I supposed to control my lane when the champs aren't afraid of my tower?

lowhonor 05-21-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrigg (Hozzászólás 1354752)

Lately I've had both of the enemies in my lane or a 3rd come and kill me or my partner as I stand under my tower at full health waiting for the first creep wave (or during the first creep clash). They just tank the tower hits like no problem. Ive tried standing as far as I can from the creeps so that I get xp (even behind the tower some) but its like the tower might as well not even be there. How am I supposed to control my lane when the champs aren't afraid of my tower?

talk to your teammates.

the game is a team effort and every situation should be dealt with as such. organize a gank on your lane or request someone cover while you buy items. characters maybe always tower dive you, but there are always resources available to assist. perhaps you can take summoner's spells such as fortify, exhaust, ghost, or flash to increase your survivability. it's a great idea to invest in potions or purchase one of the "doran" items at the start of the game.

in your situation it would be good to note that since there is a 3rd in your lane, there is one less elsewhere. that could be used as an opportunity for your team to gain momentum therefore forcing the 3 to retreat. there really is no reason for a 3rd to come to your lane without someone seeing him leave to go there. this person is freely available to assist you and should be asked to

communication can avoid a 3v2, 2v1, etc situation where tower diving can occur

War on Drugs 05-21-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrigg (Hozzászólás 1354752)

You're saying that at level 1, 2-3 enemies are tanking tower blasts and killing you?

I've never had this happen tbh. If I were you, I'd go for the person who is getting shot by the tower. He's going to fold soon. If they are master tower jugglers, then just sit back and don't worry about xp for the first wave or two. This seems counter-productive, but your primary goal is to not die. Things will regulate eventually.

Also, they can't keep 3 in a lane. They get no exp, and the other lane will get demolished. This is an early game tactic that can be nullified by just avoiding them.

Skrigg 05-21-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halojinix (Hozzászólás 1358387)
You're saying that at level 1, 2-3 enemies are tanking tower blasts and killing you?

I've never had this happen tbh. If I were you, I'd go for the person who is getting shot by the tower. He's going to fold soon. If they are master tower jugglers, then just sit back and don't worry about xp for the first wave or two. This seems counter-productive, but your primary goal is to not die. Things will regulate eventually.

Also, they can't keep 3 in a lane. They get no exp, and the other lane will get demolished. This is an early game tactic that can be nullified by just avoiding them.

Yeah it happened a few times yesterday, they just run in and tank it at level 1 usually a tank first to soak. Doesn't seem like it happens a lot its just one of the main waits i tend to die super early.

War on Drugs 05-21-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrigg (Hozzászólás 1361365)
Yeah it happened a few times yesterday, they just run in and tank it at level 1 usually a tank first to soak. Doesn't seem like it happens a lot its just one of the main waits i tend to die super early.

What champ are you playing?

You and a teammate should easily be able to fend off 3 level 1 tower divers.

If for some reason you're soloing, just don't die. If they zone you out of a wave or two worth of xp, at least you aren't feeding them on top of it.

Flat HP quints will help most champions overcome the early squish syndrome.