League of Legends Community
12345 ... 9

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   New Player Forum (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Forum Tips and Tricks. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=110093)

EmissaryShadow 05-10-2010 06:09 PM

Forum Tips and Tricks.

6 Attachment(s)
Creating threads
If you have a question, search first make a new thread later. Raising an old thread (Necroing) is better than clutter in my opinion. Note: only raise issues that are relevant to the thread. "Lawlz" or "O.o" will probably get you downvoted

Attachment 52240

I also see a lot of people posting links to outside file hosting for pictures. Its nice to save Riot some bandwidth but its also inconvenient and I'm suspicious of links thanks to vampire forum games and rick rolls. I have included a handy pictorial guide below. If you want to postition pictures in a post like I am attach them and use then use the [attach] tags around the id number in the post where you want the picture
Attachment 52234

If you want to create a poll use the create a poll option at the bottom of the create new thread page.
Attachment 52236

If you decide later you want to attach a poll to a thread you made use thread tools.
Attachment 52237

Viewing posts and profiles

Check out the dev tracker. I have a picture below detailing that clicking the riot logo takes you to the first riot post in a thread, but there is a special link that lets you see most of the dev activity on the forums. It misses a few people but its a handy tool
Attachment 52239

If you're browsing the forums and see a thread but want a short preview of a thread just scroll over the title.
Attachment 52238

Also borrowing from Jozraels FAQ
“What do the different avatars/usergroups represent?”
  • Red-Riot: These are the Developers. They are the most knowledgeable and are the only usergroup to have power over you, the player. They wield the almighty banhammer, so be good for goodness’ sake.
  • Purple-Council: These players advise Riot on the current state of competitive LoL and how to improve it. They acquire this status through exceptional skill, keen insight on the metagame, running a league that sponsors LoL, chairing a sponsored team, or otherwise benefiting the competitive scene.
  • Green-Emissaries: These players go above and beyond to help the LoL community as a whole prosper. They are active on the forums and promote LoL in various capacities.
  • Blue-Adjudicators: These players have been involved with LoL since very early in the closed beta where their assistance was invaluable. New Adjudicators acquire this status through especially helpful Test Realm feedback.
  • Orange-Wrenchmen: These players have invested time on the Help & Support board solving a variety of issues.
  • Friend of Urf: These players have placed in the April 2010 contest honoring the death of Urf.

An ungrouped forumite begins as a Junior Member. 30 posts net him Member status, and 100 Senior Member.

"Why do my posts look all faded?"
Summoners who have not agreed to the Summoner's Code will have their posts less prominently displayed. You may review and agree to the Summoners Code through your My Account page.

Looking for more BB codes? https://www.leagueoflegends.com/boar....php?do=bbcode
Looking for smilies? http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...do=showsmilies

Kajitii 05-10-2010 10:29 PM

You really ought to include tips and tricks on how to attach pictures without them becoming crazy small. This seems to be a common trap to those not familiar with the attachment system.

Fallen 62 05-11-2010 06:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajitii (Hozzászólás 1257850)
You really ought to include tips and tricks on how to attach pictures without them becoming crazy small. This seems to be a common trap to those not familiar with the attachment system.

Pretty sure that only happens with .png files. If you upload .jpg or .gif, you'll be OK.

Anyway, a few other things to note about the forums:

* There is a search feature to help you look for posts with certain phrases, or posts made by certain people. You can narrow your search results to a specific forum, date, search for just threads or just posts, and even say how many posts can be in a thread you want to search for.

* If you want to mark all of the forums as read (so it looks as though you've read every post in all of the forums), follow this link

* The default text editor is a Rich Text Editor, but you can switch back to the default Plain Text editor by clicking on the little "A" icon in the top right corner of the editor. If you do that (switch to the plain text editor), you will be able to use the standard "BB Codes" which can be found here. The Rich Text Editor can do all of the things that you can in the Plain Text Editor with BB Codes, it just has buttons in a toolbar. The "Advanced" reply has more features at the top for formatting than the Quick Reply does, so you may want to "Go Advanced" with a quick reply or switch to the plain text editor to help with formatting.

Normal (Advanced) reply:
Attachment 29071

Quick Reply:
Attachment 29072

Bloodpaly 05-11-2010 07:01 PM

Is necroing really better than creating a new thread?

I got some angry responses for bumping this thread http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...read.php?t=162
even though it is still pertinent.

EmissaryShadow 05-11-2010 08:22 PM

As long as its valid feedback, its ok. Though some people still have issues with it. It also depends on the topic. In your linked case, most people know forum avatars are coming, so they were probably annoyed that the topic was pulled back up.

Its a personal preference.

Posting "I know this is really old, but we still haven't seen any changes" might assuage much of the rage.

Theostru 05-13-2010 01:48 PM

Since you bring up the Test Realm here, could you possibly elaborate further as to how one can get involved with the test realm? It's information I was never easily able to get my hands on in my time here.

Bloodpaly 05-13-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theostru (Hozzászólás 1284815)
Since you bring up the Test Realm here, could you possibly elaborate further as to how one can get involved with the test realm? It's information I was never easily able to get my hands on in my time here.

I want to know this to. I put my name down in a thread about it awhile ago, but that thread got closed and I haven't seen a new one since then.

nicca 05-13-2010 03:36 PM

This is really helpful, and even though I lurk the forums most, if not all the time, I didn't even know some of these things.

Thank you

Fallen 62 05-14-2010 05:27 AM

The Test Realm, as I'm sure you can surmise, is for testing the new builds that come out before they are released to the Live servers. Currently, there is no way to get a Test Realm account, but Riot does run giveaways from time to time. Just keep an eye out for them (they have been in the Test Realm forum before, but we are supposed to be getting a new forum, and I have no idea who will have access to what) and sign up when you see one.

That's pretty much the only way to get into the TR right now.

Dyloslawer 05-14-2010 07:51 AM

why can't we use avatars? :\ it rlly makes it alot harder to tell members from each other.