League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Dominion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Graphical UI "issue" with Dominion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1070623)

Ninjabaer 08-08-2011 03:38 PM

Graphical UI "issue" with Dominion

rant inc, don't mistake this for a dominion hate thread, I'm very excited for the new game mode!

Over the last couple of months the UI of LoL has been getting minor updates to make it look better, and the Dominion mode also comes with some awesome features that look awesome (the kills on the right side of the screen, the Nexus HP and so on).

This has been bugging me for months, I love the graphical updates for the UI since frankly, I think its needed... but this also makes it look out of place, since only parts of the UI is getting updates. Previously its mainly been in the 'summoner interface' with only some buttons getting an updated look and some having the original look, which made everything look kinda weird combined. I didn't care that much about it though.

But I feel I'll be annoyed playing Dominion with half of my UI looking all nice and pimped up, and the rest of it pales in comparison. Why do you keep releasing tiny, tiny graphical updates that just make everything feel out of place? Is it just to get us pumped for the shiny update?

Nehrak 08-08-2011 03:40 PM

Iterative design, partially. That kind of process takes forever to get things just right, but it gets things right, most of the time.

Fire Style 08-08-2011 03:41 PM

You played Dominion already and came to that conclusion that you dont like the UI?............

Ninjabaer 08-08-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavinly Awe (Hozzászólás 12594803)
You played Dominion already and came to that conclusion that you dont like the UI?............

Looking at the UI in the preview videos is pretty much enough. I don't have to play it to judge the graphical design.

Fire Style 08-08-2011 03:46 PM

you dont have to play it then. I for one like what riot is doing, hence I dont make threads complaining about little stuff

Ninjabaer 08-08-2011 03:49 PM

I made it clear in the very start of the thread I have no issues with Dominion as a mode, I'm looking forward to playing it. Did you even read the post or are you just jumping in to defend the mode because other people have been complaining over the actual gameplay? Which, once again, I'm not.

LowPolyCount 08-08-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjabaer (Hozzászólás 12594684)
But I feel I'll be annoyed playing Dominion with half of my UI looking all nice and pimped up, and the rest of it pales in comparison.

If we did our jobs correctly, you won't be paying attention to the UI while playing.

Rayven 08-08-2011 07:37 PM

More visual cohesion across the product's UI, would be a good thing. That said, hope you dig the direction with the new pieces.

Delirus 08-08-2011 09:21 PM

I remember being teased with this really badarse looking spectator mode UI...why don't you guys rework that a bit into the actual gameplay UI as well? ESPECIALLY the teammate portraits.

Ninjabaer 08-08-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowPolyCount (Hozzászólás 12603965)
If we did our jobs correctly, you won't be paying attention to the UI while playing.

You're right, I guess I'll only be looking at the UI the first few minutes I play, then I'll be completely absorbed by the game itself. But I still think its silly with a UI that doesn't really fit together. Any new game I try the first thing I look at is the UI, a well made one is, imo, very important to a game - I've quit games after less than 10 minutes because I didn't like the UI (obviously this wasn't the case with LoL, but still).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayven (Hozzászólás 12605401)
More visual cohesion across the product's UI, would be a good thing. That said, hope you dig the direction with the new pieces.

Yes, I love the work you've done so far! Thats why I'd like to see more of it. :)