League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Dominion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Ramdomized quests make me D: (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1069875)

The Uprising 08-08-2011 12:08 PM

Ramdomized quests make me D:

I mean I guess dominion will have ranked but if quests are truly random as it seems, that makes me D: Can we have a Riot response on this? (I would hope they would be removed all together in ranked play, as it seems like some randomness added in there for fun, a la mario party, which is cool in normals but not in competitive games... Its like items in super smash bros, great when you're just having fun with your friends but not when you're playing the game competitively.)

Stave 08-08-2011 12:26 PM

RnG could screw it over hopefully its not

donkrx 08-08-2011 12:29 PM

You just have to adopt a slightly different strategy, its a good thing, it means the game won't be the exact same thing every time (think of jungle patterns and dragon control on SR... its the same thing over and over). That's one thing I really hated about SR... with everything fixed and the same each time, it was much less weighted towards rewarding combat skills than it was just pure knowledge. A game based on pure knowledge gets boring. This is a video game, not chess. I'm not saying LoL is a pure knowledge based game but it depends a lot on it, whereas Dominion is going to be very favorable for those who can fight and position well, as well as think quickly instead of plan every action 10-15 minutes ahead of time. Items will be more about how the game is going in the moment (this will have to be true if the games are as short as they say they are), and less about what you want to have 40 minutes later.

Keep in mind the map is really small so its not like SR where you have to run across the map and it takes ages. Also, what really matters is how much the quests are worth. In smash bros the items can easily have a tremendous massive impact on the game. In that case they are "worth" quite a lot, and it overrides the skill component.

Again, as with all updates, you really have to wait and see. I personally think this is going to be an awesome update.

Dreampod 08-08-2011 12:53 PM

I think that it will be a beneficial addition because it changes the dynamic and favours the team that is better able to adapt their strategy on the fly. My hope is that the 'quest' applies to both teams so it creates a new important reason to fight over a specific area and draws both teams in for a battle-extravaganza rather than it being a Team A gets a huge buff if they do this and Team B has to defend against it and gets nothing (which would be a bad randomization that could ruin competitive play).

Magma Armor0 08-08-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkrx (Hozzászólás 12586938)
You just have to adopt a slightly different strategy, its a good thing, it means the game won't be the exact same thing every time (think of jungle patterns and dragon control on SR... its the same thing over and over). That's one thing I really hated about SR... with everything fixed and the same each time, it was much less weighted towards rewarding combat skills than it was just pure knowledge. A game based on pure knowledge gets boring. This is a video game, not chess. I'm not saying LoL is a pure knowledge based game but it depends a lot on it, whereas Dominion is going to be very favorable for those who can fight and position well, as well as think quickly instead of plan every action 10-15 minutes ahead of time. Items will be more about how the game is going in the moment (this will have to be true if the games are as short as they say they are), and less about what you want to have 40 minutes later.

Keep in mind the map is really small so its not like SR where you have to run across the map and it takes ages. Also, what really matters is how much the quests are worth. In smash bros the items can easily have a tremendous massive impact on the game. In that case they are "worth" quite a lot, and it overrides the skill component.

Again, as with all updates, you really have to wait and see. I personally think this is going to be an awesome update.

also, in smash bros the items weren't balanced. try playing smash bros where everyone gets to turn on/off one item. Smokescreens and food aren't THAT game changing. but a smash ball was an instant triple kill (or something)

Aluminar 08-08-2011 12:57 PM

i duno this seems interesting, and maybe it will be like everyone gets a random quest every 5 minutes or so that give the same reward. That seems pretty balanced

Fluffdelgato 08-08-2011 12:58 PM

off topic: pshhhhh with sonic i could kill everyone on screen

on topic. yeah i hope both team gets same objective just so theirs more clashin.

Stave 08-08-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magma Armor0 (Hozzászólás 12588045)
also, in smash bros the items weren't balanced. try playing smash bros where everyone gets to turn on/off one item. Smokescreens and food aren't THAT game changing. but a smash ball was an instant triple kill (or something)

And thats why in SSB every good player played no items

Magma Armor0 08-08-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stave (Hozzászólás 12588132)
And thats why in SSB every good player played no items

or played like we did; 99 lives, items very high, only boboms, 2x damage and 300% handicaps ;)
BOOM!

BlitzFist 08-08-2011 01:01 PM

and the ranked option is not released with the release of dominion, so just wait and see if they decide to keep the random quest, which i think is a very good thing, makes the game less repetitive.